Dele Alli - Performance Thread 2017/18

I also dislike him, he's a cheaty, sly, Billy Bigtime, weasel of a player.

Player ability is a different arguement though. But ok, we even had Alan Smith, Mark Hughes, Neville, Butt and Ince. Players with less ability than Cantona but had a hot head and could put in the odd ugly challenge.

Listened for years from opposition fans, mainly Liverpool, on how Scholes is a disgusting player because of his tackling.

I'd take the likes of Alli with his fighters mentality in our squad and reckon Ferguson would have absolutely loved him.

Fighters mentality and acting like Dennis Wise are two different things also. Listen if like Spurs were struggling like they did at the weekend and the game was salty or needed a lift I get that I actually agree, but when it’s challenges like Alli has done for what petulance or acting like a spoiled kid going around chastising his own players when he’s been nothing short of disappointing in there is not the same as the players before.
Is there a player in there? No doubt.
Would I take him at United? Of course
Would I pay big money? No I think he’s a bit lost just now and is playing not his best position and trying to be a fancy Dan when that’s not his game for me (obviously different players)

Just my take

What happened with Alli and Sanchez last night was not a dangerous tackle. He kicked him, that's all. If you ask me, the tackle on Alli by Valencia - which could have (and should have) been given as a penalty - was far more dangerous.

GlastonSpur at his early age he’s clocked up a few bad ones and I’m not sure I see much specialness in there ability wise when compared to other midfielders who excelled at special moments like Gerrard who had ability in abundance or Scholes and his passing game and control or movement in early years. With Alli it’s the Frankie Lampard effect where he’s going to have work harder and drive himself to the top as he’s not blessed like Scholes or Gerrard and I don’t see that in him he’ll have to work major hard at his game to be up there imo.

He has clocked up a few bad ones I agree, the two pictured are reds imo, but the one everyone seems up in arms over(in the utd match on Sanchez) was a nothing foul deserving of a yellow. And you have people saying it's a sending off offense.

The penalty was always hard to give, Valencia got the ball, the argument is he came through the player to get it. 50/50, hard for the ref in real time, we get the benefit of slow motion replays, you have people saying it's a stone wall penalty, not for me. What ref can watch that in real time and come out with a 100% conclusion?

Who cares about this player? He's a snide little dirty cnut but he is like that to all teams, not just us. And he'll never win anything at Spurs so what does it matter? As long as he doesn't injure our players.

The kid came from a broken home due to parent's alcoholism and grew up in foster care - he dropped the name Alli from his shirt because of his family situation - he has had a tough upbringing. Having worked for years with kids just like him I have a massive soft spot for the lad.
She should be a tough bastard then going on his life right ? I'm half kidding, the whole thing is funny when you see him dive around like a bitch and cowardly hurt opponents. Some footballers had much tougher upbringings and they have always mostly behaved reasonably well.
Maybe you think like that because he is Spurs player. He isn't the only player who act like this but this is Alli's thread. So what's your problem?
Some blatant like that is lost on many. If individual threads cannot used to discuss on said players, what's the point ?

Some blatant like that is lost on many. If individual threads cannot used to discuss on said players, what's the point ?

City fan other day was pissed off because Stones thread was bumped and his mistakes was discussed, not Spurs fan. Do they even know that players thread are used for all discussions?

You think we'd never had a player with a short fuse before. Keane, Cantona, Beckham, Rooney, Scholes.... etc etc

I'd love to have Dele Alli at Utd.

I wouldn't, I think he is a cowardly twat who gets away with absolute murder on the pitch, and I honestly don't think he is that special. Some of the tackles he has put in on people over the last few seasons have been nothing short of disgraceful, and his other behavior on the pitch at times is not much better.

I wouldn't, I think he is a cowardly twat who gets away with absolute murder on the pitch, and I honestly don't think he is that special. Some of the tackles he has put in on people over the last few seasons have been nothing short of disgraceful, and his other behavior on the pitch at times is not much better.

So you didn't want Keane after his cowardly tackle on Haaland? Or when Cantona stamped on Southgate and others?

So you didn't want Keane after his cowardly tackle on Haaland? Or when Cantona stamped on Southgate and others?

Keane and Cantona were both phenomenal players who made us better and were our talismen, Alli wouldn't make us better and nor do I think he is that special. Added to the fact that he is a snide, cnut of a player, no I wouldn't want him. Keane and Cantona had their moments too,but because of their ability and the fact they were our players of course I wanted to them. I imagine Spurs fans probably all quite like Alli the same way most of us love Keane and Cantona, but I can't stand him.

Keane and Cantona were both phenomenal players who made us better and were our talismen, Alli wouldn't make us better and nor do I think he is that special. Added to the fact that he is a snide, cnut of a player, no I wouldn't want him. Keane and Cantona had their moments too,but because of their ability and the fact they were our players of course I wanted to them. I imagine Spurs fans probably all quite like Alli the same way most of us love Keane and Cantona, but I can't stand him.

A bit unfair comparing a kid to 2 of the best players in PL history.

You're probably right, but the only reason that comparison is there is because I was responding to a question where the poster was asking me specifically about Cantona and Keane.

Yeah I get it, it's a case of yes he can be a nasty so and so, but he is out nasty so and so.

I don't get the fuss about him. He's a good player. However he wouldn't improve United's team, wouldn't improve Chelsea's team, would be only a very small improvement to Liverpool and wouldn't even get near Man City's starting line up let alone make it any better. He's at about the best level he can hope for.

I also think the challenge the other night was a bit of a petty/nothing incident, but it is systematic of him. His team are in control of the game and instead of focusing on that he is getting himself wound up over nothing and engaging in pure stupidity which isn't proving anything to anyone. He did the same thing at Old Trafford...Spurs were controlling the game, then Alli decides to create a scene over nothing, in the process riles up half his own team mates into losing their focus, and from that point Spurs never got that control back and ended up losing.

The likes of him and Dembele and their persistent need to get wound up by every tiny thing is the reason why Spurs have managed to be a good team for three years and at the same time never look like winning anything. The slightest thing and the focus goes out the window in order to accommodate the hard man act...which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact "act" is a key word in there. No one has ever been or will be scared out of a football game by the likes of Deli Alli.

Best thing he can do for himself is grow out of his hardest kid in the school act and concentrate on being a footballer.

Yeah I get it, it's a case of yes he can be a nasty so and so, but he is our nasty so and so.

Exactly, fans would change their mind if we signed him. Ignore the nasty fouls for a second and think of what he'd bring to us as a player.

He's still only 21. There's not many better U21 attacking midfielders in Europe, nevermind the PL. He's having a poor season by his standards yet still has 9 goals, so could easily get close to his 22 goals from last season. (all from open play unlike Gerrard and Lampard.)

Guess I also like having a bit of a bastard in my team. Give me them anyday over a soft touch like Mkhitaryan.

Saltyness? He is an overrated player who is snide and a cheat (he pretty much dives in every game). No saltyness, just calling it for what it is.[/QUOTove

Overrated? Haha. No chance. He is a phenomenal talent.

Exactly, fans would change their mind if we signed him. Ignore the nasty fouls for a second and think of what he'd bring to us as a player.

He's still only 21. There's not many better U21 attacking midfielders in Europe, nevermind the PL. He's having a poor season by his standards yet still has 9 goals, so could easily get close to his 22 goals from last season. (all from open play unlike Gerrard and Lampard.)

Guess I also like having a bit of a bastard in my team. Give me them anyday over a soft touch like Mkhitaryan.

This, I love Alli.

Yes he is aggressive, yes he plays on the edge, yes he can be petulant, but as a Spurs fan I love the fact that he is always winding opposition players (and fans) up. The best teams in this league have always had players like Alli. United had plenty of them in the past. Our rival supporters hate him and we love him. His will to win and desire is second to none.

To be fair, I did in my previous comment. I said I don't think he is that special, and I stand by that. As @noodlehair has already made the observation, I don't think he would improve us. He's a good player obviously, you need to be to play for a top side in the Premier League, but not one that would make a whole lot of difference to us I feel. Regarding having a bastard in the team, I would rather it was a real tough bastard who no-one would feck with and would put fear into the opposition, like Keane did. Alli does not do that and he strikes me like the kinda bloke who starts a fight then runs behind his bigger, harder mate(s).

Overrated? Haha. No chance. He is a phenomenal talent.

You laugh, but I laugh at his performances for England in which he never achieves anything. A 'phenomenal talent' should be having more of a positive effect on the team. Even Rashford has had more moments than him. So yes he is overrated...

To be fair, I did in my previous comment. I said I don't think he is that special, and I stand by that. As @noodlehair has already made the observation, I don't think he would improve us. He's a good player obviously, you need to be to play for a top side in the Premier League, but not one that would make a whole lot of difference to us I feel. Regarding having a bastard in the team, I would rather it was a real tough bastard who no-one would feck with and would put fear into the opposition, like Keane did. Alli does not do that and he strikes me like the kinda bloke who starts a fight then runs behind his bigger, harder mate(s).

Also not sure how it helps the team having someone who's going to go around petulantly kicking people and picking fights regardless of whether you're winning or doing well in a game.

This isn't the same as having a leader or fighter in your team. It's usually a sign of not having one. Petulance doesn't help you win games you might otherwise lose, it helps you lose games you might otherwise win.

Fair enough if you don't think he'd improve us. Lets see how he does in the CL over the coming weeks. Personally it wouldn't surprise me to see him score a couple of goals and cause Juventus problems.

Also not sure how it helps the team having someone who's going to go around petulantly kicking people and picking fights regardless of whether you're winning or doing well in a game.

This isn't the same as having a leader or fighter in your team. It's usually a sign of not having one. Petulance doesn't help you win games you might otherwise lose, it helps you lose games you might otherwise win.

Totally agree.

Fair enough if you don't think he'd improve us. Lets see how he does in the CL over the coming weeks. Personally it wouldn't surprise me to see him score a couple of goals and cause Juventus problems.

Yeah, and it's fair enough to people he think he's a great player, that's their opinion.

You laugh, but I laugh at his performances for England in which he never achieves anything. A 'phenomenal talent' should be having more of a positive effect on the team. Even Rashford has had more moments than him. So yes he is overrated...

Eh? How on earth has Rashford had more moments than Alli?! Must have missed Rashford scoring over 20 goals in a season and winning PFA young player of the year two seasons running...

And who uses England as a metric for judging a player? That is just bizarre. Plenty of amazing players never turn up for England. In any case Alli is only 21. Bit harsh to judge his international performances so early in his career. It's nonsense.

Eh? How on earth has Rashford had more moments than Alli?! Must have missed Rashford scoring over 20 goals in a season and winning PFA young player of the year two seasons running...

And who uses England as a metric for judging a player? That is just bizarre. Plenty of amazing players never turn up for England. In any case Alli is only 21. Bit harsh to judge his international performances so early in his career. It's nonsense.

For England I meant with that statement, which he has.

If you are judging a player it's based on all the games he plays, that includes club and country. So if he is the super player you are making out he would have an influence for both, which he doesn't. Is he talented? Yes, but he isn't world class and I'm not actually sure he ever will be as I think he has reached his ceiling about now. What I find funny is our press like to often put him in the same bracket as Kane which is laughable as Kane is a genuine top class player whereas Alli isn't.

For England I meant with that statement, which he has.

If you are judging a player it's based on all the games he plays, that includes club and country. So if he is the super player you are making out he would have an influence for both, which he doesn't. Is he talented? Yes, but he isn't world class and I'm not actually sure he ever will be as I think he has reached his ceiling about now. What I find funny is our press like to often put him in the same bracket as Kane which is laughable as Kane is a genuine top class player whereas Alli isn't.

He is 21 years old. It's honestly laughable to suggest a player who has just won two successive PFA young players of the year awards has already reached his ceiling. It goes against all logic and reasoning.

Alli does have to improve some areas of his game but he has acres of room to develop and improve. His potential is vast. At 21 he is already deciding big PL games and CL games with goals and moments of quality. He has had a poor season so far generally yet has still posted decent stats and still has delivered in big CL games.

I think it is entirely rereasonable to judge Alli purely on his club football to acknowledge his talent. This argument that players have to deliver Internationally is only used by people when they are desperate to find a reason to criticise a player. It was said of Kane, he's not top class until he does it for England. That was nonsense then too. Kane now does do it for England but even if he didn't it wouldn't detract that is clearly world class.

Now Alli isn't at the level Kane is. Far from it but equally he does not have to prove anything for England particularly at such a young age when his club football record speaks for itself.

Biggest cnut in the league since Costa left IMO. Goes full cheating and has all the kicking and dirty tackles to go with it.

It's time someone teaches him a tough lesson, otherwise he will never learn.
Agreed. He'll probably learn his lesson at the World Cup as these refs are too biased towards the English players. They are not helping him by glossing over his foolish behaviour.

Can't stand him. Just walks around with some chip on his shoulder.

He has the arrogance and behavior of Cristiano Ronaldo, and the ability of Stephen Ireland. Really needs to buckle up and show more humbleness on the pitch for much better players, right now he is the biggest twat in the Premier League... Ronaldo was also the same, but he had probably just scored a hat-trick and Alli has just dived (again).

He had a good season and a bit but think he has been found out. Barely gets a sniff most games and lashes out in frustration.
Another reason I cannot stand our press people - you have a good spell and they hype you up like crazy. These young guys then think they've made it already.

Ali has some anger issues I believe. Guy looks unhappy all the time. He needs to earn our salaries, then he'll really have something to be mad about:D

Biggest cnut in the league since Costa left IMO. Goes full cheating and has all the kicking and dirty tackles to go with it.

No contest.

Costa at least had the hilarity factor. He was like a comic book villain. Alli is just a thug.

He has the arrogance and behavior of Cristiano Ronaldo, and the ability of Stephen Ireland. Really needs to buckle up and show more humbleness on the pitch for much better players, right now he is the biggest twat in the Premier League... Ronaldo was also the same, but he had probably just scored a hat-trick and Alli has just dived (again).

Dele Alli 2 time PFA young player of the year.
Dele Alli valued as the 2nd most valuable footballer in the world according to CIES
Dele Alli often linked with the biggest clubs in the world (Real Madrid etc).
Dele Alli recognised internationally as one of the best young players in world football.

Did Stephen Ireland ever win these awards and have all this attention?

Dele Alli valued as the 2nd most valuable footballer in the world according to CIES

Despite that I think Alli is a wannabe thug who gets away with a lot of things, I have to say he's a very good player. He's not scoring as many goals this season but his passes are sharp and he's an integral part of Spurs' counterattacking plays. Take Alli and Son out of your team and your counterattacks would look nothing like they do now.

With that said, surely you don't believe the bolded claim yourself.