Declan Rice | signs for arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

Yeh, I was making the point that we've bought a whole new (and much improved) squad since Arteta arrived, while you've still got no striker and deadwood like Van de Beek in your team.
Hard to do a victory lap of spending 500m when about 200m of it haven’t kicked a ball for you yet

OverratedOpinion

I agree with you. But the initial conversation was about money spent, of which we've spent similarly in the last few years. I was making the point that we've done better with our half billion and actually overhauled our team.
It's obvious the biggest issue at United is your owners, which hopefully for you will find some conclusion soon (with Glazers leaving).
I would argue that the difference is that Man Utds spending gets talked about drastically more and Arsenal are still looked at as overachievers. Which is why Utd fans probably point it out.

Not that I really care about your spending. I think any club that earns their money should spend it on trying to improve their squad.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I agree with you. But the initial conversation was about money spent, of which we've spent similarly in the last few years. I was making the point that we've done better with our half billion and actually overhauled our team.
It's obvious the biggest issue at United is your owners, which hopefully for you will find some conclusion soon (with Glazers leaving).
Our problem starts at the top with the owners but there are so many issues even with our transfer team. They’re all useless so hopefully Any new owners will bring in there own people who know and can focus on the footballing side of things.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I agree that he has to win a trophy soon. But if he can keep us in CL for a few years, that would be a HUGE improvement on where we've been for almost the last decade. No CL for 7 years has really hurt our bottom line, which is why the Kroenkes had to spend to overhaul our squad. I imagine the spending (at least to this current degree) will have to slow down at some point.
And yes we've spent similar amounts in the last 3-4 years. Out of curiosity which team do you think has improved for all the money spent? Arteta has bought a whole new team with his half billion quid, we're unrecognisable from the team he inherited. I think most fans would be delighted with what he's done. Most of my Utd supporting friends don't feel your team has improved much considering all the spending.
I mean it’s difficult to compare. Before Arteta joined Arsenal were actually doing slightly better. Then in his first full season they finished 8th, then 5th. And now 2nd with a rather disappointing end to the season.
Whereas United have been finishing on average higher than that under Jose/Ole. Jo-Jo-ing between 2nd and 6th place. Now with ETH we finished 3rd and at least tried to win every competition which meant too many games.
Your football was really good this season most of the time whereas ours was better than last season, but still not good enough.

If we also get 2-3 signings sorted I would say we are both in similar situation and as likely to improve from last season as to stagnate.

OverratedOpinion

It’s an insult this comparison was even made in the first place. Rice isn’t fit to lace Casemiro’s boots even in his thirties, never mind when he was in his prime at Madrid.
I haven't seen any Arsenal fan compare them tbf. Surely even the most biased and hopeful of their fans would know that would sound laughable.

Dempsey19

I understand you can split the costs over several years, but how are Arsenal all of a sudden buying Rice for a £100m and Havertz for £65m.

Are they selling or only buying those two players? Didn't think they had it in them.
Also add 50m for Timber. That's 230m spent.

OverratedOpinion

Didn’t a bunch claim Casemiro was a poor man’s Thomas Partey throughout last season?
God I hope not. I think Partey is better than Rice but even then it's a silly comparison.

Although tbf loads of Arsenal as a fan base around 2008 used to claim Wenger was better tactically than Sir Alex and basically every player in their squad was better than ours yet we won everything and they won nothing. Odd bunch sometimes.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Unfortunately Rice is a class player and very young.

The fee is pretty crazy but this is a great singing for Arsenal, was secretly hoping we could have somehow got him but not to be.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I agree don't think Arteta's job is in danger in the immediate term unless something drastic happens. And IMO the reason we got an "easy ride" for choking is because everyone expected City to mow us down. We were overachieving and we knew it. It pretty much panned out the way everyone said - our squad is too young, too thin and City are too good.
If you lost because City went on a ridiculous run and the City loss plus one other draw was the difference (ala Liverpool 2019) I don't think anyone would say anything.

But ultimately if you held two two goal leads and beat the bottom side at home there's likely nothing City and Haaland's record breaking goals could have done. That combined with the fact you basically chucked the cups to aid the league run in meant you did blow it in my opinion.

Although that being said I do think you will challenge again next season.

Last edited:

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Hard to do a victory lap of spending 500m when about 200m of it haven’t kicked a ball for you yet
Honestly Arsenal spending this kind of money is a victory in itself :lol:

I understand you can split the costs over several years, but how are Arsenal all of a sudden buying Rice for a £100m and Havertz for £65m.

Are they selling or only buying those two players? Didn't think they had it in them.
Neither did I. The Kroenkes are serious about Arsenal following their other teams like the Rams and Denver Nuggets who recently won their championships

I would argue that the difference is that Man Utds spending gets talked about drastically more and Arsenal are still looked at as overachievers. Which is why Utd fans probably point it out.

Not that I really care about your spending. I think any club that earns their money should spend it on trying to improve their squad.
I think it's also because you're the bigger club, so obviously get more attention (good and bad).

And we are the ones being brought up more recently when FFP is mentioned
Because our big spending has been more in the last 3-4 years, while your spending has been huge in the last decade or so. Apparently we should be OK for FFP for now. https://goonertalk.com/2023/06/27/why-arsenal-can-splash-the-cash-this-summer-without-ffp-fears/

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
If you lost because City went on a ridiculous run and The Ethiad loss plus one other draw was the difference (ala Liverpool 2019) I don't think anyone would say anything.

But ultimately if you held two two goal leads and beat the bottom side at home there's likely nothing City and Haaland's record breaking goals could have done. That combined with the fact you basically chucked the cups to aid the league run in meant you did blow it in my opinion.

Although that being said I do think you will challenge again next season.
Oh we did blow it, don't think there's a question of that. But I think everyone saw it coming, myself included. Gary Neville was right all along, and he loved reminding everyone. Personally, I only started to dream of the title in the last 2 months of the season, then Saliba and Tomi got injured. :lol: Once it was clear Holding would be playing more than 2-3 games, I knew we were done.

I think with the summer we look to be having, another title charge is expected now.

Skills

Snitch
I've just always found him so underwhelming.

With Havertz, Odegaard & Partey occupying the midfield 3 - can anyone imagine him playing the Zinchenko role?

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Neither did I. The Kroenkes are serious about Arsenal following their other teams like the Rams and Denver Nuggets who recently won their championships
Good luck to them, the more competition the better. You could do a Liverpool or Leicester but I still think you have some gaps and City don't whilst they clearly have money ready.

Wonder what Wenger thinks of spending this much money!

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Oh we did blow it, don't think there's a question of that. But I think everyone saw it coming, myself included. Gary Neville was right all along, and he loved reminding everyone. Personally, I only started to dream of the title in the last 2 months of the season, then Saliba and Tomi got injured. :lol: Once it was clear Holding would be playing more than 2-3 games, I knew we were done.

I think with the summer we look to be having, another title charge is expected now.
Arsenal didn't have the squad depth. Once Saliba got injured I knew the title challenge was finished. The premier league is just like a marathon, and Arsenal ran out of steam in the end. It is what it is, and Man City is the better team and worthy winner.

So far the transfer is like for like replacement, or may be improvement on existing 11. Not much work is done on the quality of squad depth. The difference in bench quality between City and the rest of the top 6 club is huge, including even Liverpool.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I mean it’s difficult to compare. Before Arteta joined Arsenal were actually doing slightly better. Then in his first full season they finished 8th, then 5th. And now 2nd with a rather disappointing end to the season.
Whereas United have been finishing on average higher than that under Jose/Ole. Jo-Jo-ing between 2nd and 6th place. Now with ETH we finished 3rd and at least tried to win every competition which meant too many games.
Your football was really good this season most of the time whereas ours was better than last season, but still not good enough.

If we also get 2-3 signings sorted I would say we are both in similar situation and as likely to improve from last season as to stagnate.
Not sure that you can say we were doing better before Arteta joined as we haven't had CL football in 7 years until now. You've always been in there apart from last season and 19/20. But I don't think anyone wants to win a "my club is worse than yours" discussion.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Good luck to them, the more competition the better. You could do a Liverpool or Leicester but I still think you have some gaps and City don't whilst they clearly have money ready.

Wonder what Wenger thinks of spending this much money!
Wenger I'm sure advised Arteta to bid £101 for Rice. :lol:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Not sure that you can say we were doing better before Arteta joined as we haven't had CL football in 7 years until now. You've always been in there apart from last season and 19/20. But I don't think anyone wants to win a "my club is worse than yours" discussion.
Oh I meant in the seasons before Arteta joined Arsenal were doing slightly better than in Arteta’s first 1,5 seasons where he finished 8th (I didn’t mean better than United). So from 8th to now 2nd is obviously clear progress, whereas Jose and Ole both already finished 2nd. So now ETH finishes 3rd it is not all clear if or how much we have progressed from Jose or Ole’s best seasons.

WPMUFC

Agree with the sentiment that Arsenal has crazily overpaid probably for all their deals. But can anyone actually suggest that they aren't improving with their transfers? I credit this type of vision.

We really need to get a move on.

Nickelodeon

Credit to Arsenal for getting their signings in early. But come on, does every club have to go through their big money overrated player phase? No way is Rice a 100 million player. Not sure what the fixation is as they could’ve got a similar quality player for half the price if they looked outside the PL.

Maniron

It’s an insult this comparison was even made in the first place. Rice isn’t fit to lace Casemiro’s boots even in his thirties, never mind when he was in his prime at Madrid.
I think you are wrong there. There was a period earlier in the season when ‘we’ were on Casemiro’s back. As far as I can tell Rice is pretty much West Ham’s mom every game, also one of the first names on the England’s team sheet. Do you think Pep/ City would have bid £90m+ for him if they didn’t think he was fit to lace Casemiro’s boots?

scottser

Agree with the sentiment that Arsenal has crazily overpaid probably for all their deals. But can anyone actually suggest that they aren't improving with their transfers? I credit this type of vision.

What are the odds that in a couple of years from now, Rice, Havertz and Lavia fail to perform and arsenal are left with players they can't shift on long-term, high-salary contracts?

Sod's Law, its a bit of a cnut

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Credit to Arsenal for getting their signings in early. But come on, does every club have to go through their big money overrated player phase? No way is Rice a 100 million player. Not sure what the fixation is as they could’ve got a similar quality player for half the price if they looked outside the PL.
Can you give an example? Tonali is going to Newcastle for £60-70mil. You paid £60mil for a 30yo Case. I completely agree we're overpaying by about 20-30mil but who are these proven, top level DMs that can be had for the £50mil mark? Whilst also still being young enough (like Tonali, Rice) to keep improving and have their best years ahead of them?

Crimson King

I haven't seen any Arsenal fan compare them tbf. Surely even the most biased and hopeful of their fans would know that would sound laughable.
I'm pretty sure that guy from ArseFan TV (Robbie?) chose Party over Casemiro in a combined XI on some show they did on Sky with Neville and Carragher earlier in the season.

Admittedly that isn't a great representation of the the Arsenal fan base at large. Most of them on here don't seem to agree with that POV.

Crimson King

Can you give an example? Tonali is going to Newcastle for £60-70mil. You paid £60mil for a 30yo Case. I completely agree we're overpaying by about 20-30mil but who are these proven, top level DMs that can be had for the £50mil mark? Whilst also still being young enough (like Tonali, Rice) to keep improving and have their best years ahead of them?
£70m (potentially) for Tonali is pretty mad too, no? Makes Casemiro look like a steal even at 30!

Makes Rice's fee look less ridiculous as well, to be totally honest.

Hammondo

I honestly don't think it makes much difference.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I think Rice and Havertz are generally better players than those they'll be replacing, Partey and Xhaka. So in the long run sure.

But both Partey and Xhaka had pretty good seasons last year, Partey particularly, so I'm not sure how much it lifts their performances levels from that. Makes it more repeatable sure, but I don't think those signings particularly close the gap on City that existed this season.

ShinjiNinja26

I think you are wrong there. There was a period earlier in the season when ‘we’ were on Casemiro’s back. As far as I can tell Rice is pretty much West Ham’s mom every game, also one of the first names on the England’s team sheet. Do you think Pep/ City would have bid £90m+ for him if they didn’t think he was fit to lace Casemiro’s boots?
Those were absolute knee-jerk reactions as per usual on here. If they were like that for a serial winner like Casemiro imagine the stick a lesser player like Rice would get if he was brought in for a £105m and had a few poor performances. Also just because City wanted him doesn’t mean anything, Pep also wanted Sanchez and Maguire, how’d they turn out? Also how much they’re willing pay for someone is irrelevant as they‘ve got unlimited funds. They paid £100m for Jack Grealish and basically sat him on the bench most of his first season.

Nickelodeon

No, I can’t give an example but time will show better players who could’ve been better deals. One of the young guys at Ajax or Benfica can have a brilliant season and suddenly be identified as the next best thing. Enzo Fernandes was a 15 million player last summer. A club should be paying such a large fee for a player if they are one of the best in their positions. I don’t need to see who else is out there to know that Rice is not a 100 million player.

I could be wrong, of course, but I feel Rice’s game has many technical gaps which just can’t be completely filled. There would be players who may suit Arsenal’s, or any top team for that matter, style better. From a ball winning perspective though, Rice is a great asset. It is only his stuff when he will be asked to pass well and pass accurately, his weaknesses will come. And also unlike Partey, he also doesn’t seem to have a long ranger in him. This may be my own bias or PTSD, Rice reminds me of Maguire when he carries the ball with the agility of a tractor.

Anyways, mine is just one of many opinions on the internet. Don’t let it distract you from a job well done by your board. At least they are assertive and have gone with a plan. Any signing can be a hit or a miss. And with Rice for such a big fee, Arsenal are showing a big team like intent. Whether Rice can prove himself to be worth that money could be one of the most important stories of next season.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
£170m for Rice and Havertz doesn't have my quivering in my boots, if I am honest.

I would say it's the best move for Rice though; a step up for him but not absolute top club level

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Huge pressure on Arteta to win the league now. They’ve spent some huge money over the last few years without anything to show for it.
No trophies, though that will hopefully change.

But that's a disingenuous comment, the club has totally righted itself over the last few years.

We've gone from having a poor locker room and culture, with a squad full of overpaid older players - to a young group (only three players over 27 in the core group), with a strong culture, a good gameplan which has resulted in the side moving steadily up the ladder and is now back in the CL.

Prior to any signing this off-season we were behind United's total spending since 19/20 by nearly €100m.

Arsenal's total - €606.56m
United's total - €705.88m

Fluctuation0161

Casemiro is a proven top level winner. 5 x CL's is it. Not comparable.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
£70m (potentially) for Tonali is pretty mad too, no? Makes Casemiro look like a steal even at 30!

Makes Rice's fee look less ridiculous as well, to be totally honest.
Yes, it's mad. Which is kind of my point - the market is crazy now. With players like Tonali/Rice, you're also paying more for their potential and how good they're generally expected to be. If things work out well for us, Rice will be in our midfield for the next decade, hopefully winning things along the way. £100mil will look like a steal then. Everyone said Liverpool were overpaying for Virgil at the time but I'm sure no one is saying that now. Hopefully overpaying for Rice works out more like Van Dijk than Maguire.

Status
Not open for further replies.