De Ligt | Manchester United open talks with Bayern

Stadjer

I was under the impression that he was not a success at Juventus, that is why they sold him no? Same with Bayern, do you want to sell someone that is a success at the club?
I believe it was the same issues as Bayern has. Juventus wanted money and his wages are high. He also didnt have that many years yet on his contract when he left Juventus. They didnt want to sell him, they had to sell him because of the financial side.

Nickelodeon

Loan with a buy option. Bayern players need to be looked at with distrust.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bit weird, because he never was at Ajax. A proactive defender back then.
Nagelsmann (and also Flick) are a bit dogmatic in that regard. It is true though, that de Ligt often looked for sideways passes while Kim and Upa try to break lines. "Try" being the keyword...

The-Mezzala

Him and Martinez is not the best suited. He is a good aggressive defender. Dont agree with the flopped at Bayern comments. Would be open to a loan to buy nothing else.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I don't think he "failed" at Juve. They had Bremer coming in, Bayern paid good money and de Ligt already wanted to go to Bayern before he went to Juve.
He also didn't "fail" at Bayern. Nagelsmann didn't like his cautious approach, but under Tuchel he was a clear starter. He is on massive wages and Bayern seem to be bringing in Ito and Tah and are looking at Xavi Simons. De Ligt offers resale value.
Bayern going for Ito and Tah while Stanisic also returns from loan doesn't exactly look like they are happy with their current CBs

Robertd0803

Not the first choice, signing the likes of Tobido and Yoro would be. Id probably put him behind Branthwaite and Inacio (spelling is wrong) as well out of defenders we are supposedly looking at. We should be looking at the players Bayern are looking at signing as his replacement instead of a yet another high risk cast off.

You can just see him signing for Chelsea or someone and smashing it though.

Grande

I think we should stay away from any more former Ajax-under-Erik players who have had big question marks over their heads, since then

Let's recruit players from a wider circle, like Todibo
How do you know Todibo is from a wider circle than De Ligt? (Okay, enough with the body weight jokes).
In theory de Ligt would be the perfect partner for Martinez. Tall, good in the air, right footed, good pace (shut up) and good on the ball. A leader. Captain as a teenager for Ajax. Huge question marks about the injuries though.
The first page of this thread is full of oneliners dismissing him as slow and fat, and this one post saying he has good pace.
What is the truth about this?

flappyjay

Has any of these Ajax ucl semi final guys lived up to the early potential? It's only been in flashes as far as I can tell.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Has any of these Ajax ucl semi final guys lived up to the early potential? It's only been in flashes as far as I can tell.
I'd still kill to have FDJ on my team. His ankle though...

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Now he's a fat lazy bastard?
No but his dad is

Mental reactions in here. He hasn't failed at Bayern at all and is incredibly good. The only two minor issues would be wages and injuries but overall for a good price United should be all over this.
He always seems to start for Bayern when he's available and his injuries haven't been nearly as bad as people make out. He missed 2 games in 21/22, 5 games through injury in his first season at Bayern in 22/23 and he missed 18 last season, Martinez by comparison missed 11 in 21/22 12 in 22/23 and 36 last season.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern going for Ito and Tah while Stanisic also returns from loan doesn't exactly look like they are happy with their current CBs
I really don't understand what they see in Tah. They seem to be replacing de Ligt and Upa with Ito and Tah which is a sideways move at best but should free up wages.
I am also not the biggest Stanisic fan. To me he is a RB and RCB cover.

However, if they sell Davies on top of that while bringing in Palinha, Xavi Simmons and Theo, then I am a big supporter of this random in-and-out in the CB department.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How do you know Todibo is from a wider circle than De Ligt? (Okay, enough with the body weight jokes).

The first page of this thread is full of oneliners dismissing him as slow and fat, and this one post saying he has good pace.
What is the truth about this?
He’s a fine player. Good level, even. The juice just isn’t worth the squeeze of spending a big transfer fee and high wages on him.

Brightonian

He missed 27 games over the last 3 years... Hardly shocking.
He missed 18 last season, seemingly to the same persistent knee ligament injury.

Given we are already a crock of crocks, we simply can't afford to add someone with that level of risk. Hopefully he'll shake it off and not be out so much next season, at Bayern or anywhere else. But you have to play the odds.

Infra-red

I like him as a player, but I'm not sure that the answer to our injury prone defensive problems is to be found in an injury prone defender.

msjmohd83

Sign Branthwaite or sign De Light(24 years old) for the RCB position? it's a no-brainer for me...

Pronewbie

Peep
His allegedly amazing on-the-ball ability as a kid is now a commodity most young promising defenders possess. He's also developed into a fridge at Bayern and is still prone to the odd mistake. We should shop elsewhere.

OleGunnar20

Get him in on loan as one of two CBs signed, with Maguire & Lindelof heading out the door behind Varane.

Martinez / New RCB
Kambwala / De Ligt
Shaw? / Evans?

Would be fine by me. Put a sensible purchase option in there and if he impresses, lovely. I didn't realise his injury record was so bad mind you.

That would be a worry given Martinez' issues.

Irwin99

In theory de Ligt would be the perfect partner for Martinez. Tall, good in the air, right footed, good pace (shut up) and good on the ball. A leader. Captain as a teenager for Ajax. Huge question marks about the injuries though.
You never know with people's scouting on here (or anywhere else :lol: ) but is that really a concern? In theory we would like someone tall and quick beside Martinez at the back.

Vidic is one of my favorite defenders of all time, probably the best natural defender i've ever seen at the club, but I always remember a match against Liverpool (06-07) where Rio was constantly covering for his lack of pace. It really does help to get a nice balance.

theatreofdreams777

Stay away from slow players at any cost please. We've been through enough torture in the last 5 years with Maguire in the team. Don't need to make the same mistake again and handicap ourselves for no reason & give oppositions a weakness they'd look to exploit.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I'd rule him out solely on the basis that he played for Ten Hag previously. We need to get away from that mentality.

STYLOISRED

I see different takes here about his ability or his injury record yet on reddit all the Bayern fans are absolutely devastated that he is up for sale ... Some even suggested he pull a Frankie Dejong and sit out his contract because they are certain the current management won't last.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'd rule him out solely on the basis that he played for Ten Hag previously. We need to get away from that mentality.
Quite to the contrary. Coach knows him well, knows how to utilize his talents and he should be near the top if not the top of our priority list as we need a defender. Doubt we can afford him though.

macheda14

Get him in on loan as one of two CBs signed, with Maguire & Lindelof heading out the door behind Varane.

Martinez / New RCB
Kambwala / De Ligt
Shaw? / Evans?

Would be fine by me. Put a sensible purchase option in there and if he impresses, lovely. I didn't realise his injury record was so bad mind you.

That would be a worry given Martinez' issues.
Yes because Bayern want to sell him to raise funds they’d be happy to loan him and he’d be happy to come as backup.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
It's amazing the difference between the talk about him now compared to when he was at Ajax.

Fair to say both he and De Jong haven't lived up to their huge hype five years ago.