De Ligt | Manchester United open talks with Bayern

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Unless we could get yoro or one the Italy's center backs I'm open to this, considering the other options and the money quoted.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
That is one season.. its like saying VVD injury record is bad because of that one long injury he had.
There are two actually. Another one was at Juventus. And I don't trust Bayern in this regard. If they let go a top player usually there's a reason behind it.

romufc

There are two actually. Another one was at Juventus. And I don't trust Bayern in this regard. If they let go a top player usually there's a reason behind it.
Now that is something different.

There definitely is some reason, they dont let go that easily, especially players in their early 20's.

I just dont see him working at United personally, he isnt the profile I want us to bring in.

didz

Oh this De Ligt Injury myth again.
It's way overblown, but to call it a myth is a bit much. I think Varane inspired a similar debate, but De Ligt is younger, would cost less in wages, and still has something to prove. We'd definitely be trading up here in my opinion.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
The one at Juve was a shoulder injury (dislocation). Hardly something that deserves to label him as injury prone.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
This I 100% agree. Especially when a player is still in his 20s. Unless the player refuse to extend contract, or they are overloaded with quality players so they have to move on players to make room.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This I 100% agree. Especially when a player is still in his 20s. Unless the player refuse to extend contract, or they are overloaded with quality players so they have to move on players to make room.
They just have other priorities they want to invest in and he's a sellable asset on big wages. I'm sure they'd love to sell other players to fund moves if they could, but probably unlikely.

daba

I have never been more against signing anybody than De Ligt.

We should not be paying any new players 250K / week salary. That is not appropriate for a rebuild, and besides that is the kind of salary you pay galacticos. Not only De Ligt is nowhere close to being a galactico, or having any potential of becoming one, I am not even convinced that he won't flop in premiership, and that he is what we need.

A horrible signing, in my opinion. If we are going to gamble, we should get somebody MUCH cheaper
Agree. We should be targeting young talents on the up on between £75-150k per week depending on their fee/experience. Even if we were targeting someone like Guirassy or a Rabiot on a free, we should be very strict with the wages.

MarkMorgan

Supports
LA Galaxy
Now that is something different.

There definitely is some reason, they dont let go that easily, especially players in their early 20's.

I just dont see him working at United personally, he isnt the profile I want us to bring in.
Nah they just got another new defender and most likely another one from Leverkusen. De Ligt wouldn’t make the starting lineup. Otherwise they wouldn’t sell.

He is still a quality player though.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's way overblown, but to call it a myth is a bit much. I think Varane inspired a similar debate, but De Ligt is younger, would cost less in wages, and still has something to prove. We'd definitely be trading up here in my opinion.
Not much less, I believe he’s already on 250k

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Because of his salary, Bayern are going to find it hard to shift him. The question is, have United learnt from past mistakes?

DevilRed

I can see ETH pushing for this guy if we can't get Tobido, Yoro or Branthwaite

Hopefully we can negotiate his salary down or get him on a loan with option to buy.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Because of his salary, Bayern are going to find it hard to shift him. The question is, have United learnt from past mistakes?
I think this is dependent on whether INEOS can get out primary defensive targets in time. If not, then we might be scrambling to get him in towards the end of the window.

Pronewbie

Peep
Highly ambitious and overrates his own ability, so will demand more $$ and playing time. A cocktail for dressing room unrest.

Also, IMO his ceiling is lower than that of Chiellini and arguably Bonucci, especially when it comes to concentration and anticipation.

For the touted fees and wages, he's a riskier bet than some fans anticipate.

UpWithRivers

Highly ambitious and overrates his own ability, so will demand more $$ and playing time. A cocktail for dressing room unrest.

Also, IMO his ceiling is lower than that of Chiellini and arguably Bonucci, especially when it comes to concentration and anticipation.

For the touted fees and wages, he's a riskier bet than some fans anticipate.
That is because he's young. People forget CBs need to mature. Everyone thinks that you can get these young CB's, throw them in the deep end and expect them to be world class especially at things like concentration and anticipation. Look at Quansah and Colwill. Both good CB's but not established at Liverpool and Chelsea yet. They need time.
I think too much has been expected of De ligt. But now he's at least 24 and will grow to be better in those kind of attributes.

crossy1686

career ending
Not really followed him since his Ajax days but from that entire Ajax squad he was the one I was certain would go on to become a world class player and the best CB in the world. Strange that he's stagnated at Bayern, but then again defence in the Bundesliga seems to be an afterthought. I remember some Dutch pundit saying he hasn't learned to defend since moving to Bayern, maybe he would have been better suited going to Italy or England?

tomaldinho1

I feel like people either think he is too class or a complete fraud. Very little middle ground.
The caf in a nutshell.

Very good defender, not the profile I think we need but one we should get if the price/wages aren't a joke. Would be interesting, even with his lack of pace, to have him if Onana is passing out to a back line of Dalot, him, Licha and hopefully a new LB/Shaw they can all take the ball in tight situation to varying degrees. Add in a good DM and we're a different team altogether.

Robertd0803

I can see ETH pushing for this guy if we can't get Tobido, Yoro or Branthwaite

Hopefully we can negotiate his salary down or get him on a loan with option to buy.
Yeah he does seem to be the easiest option to attain.

Redivy

He is a good centre back, good on the ball and very good aerially. But I think the deal would have to be in our favour for us to take the risk on him.

jesperjaap

I feel like people either think he is too class or a complete fraud. Very little middle ground.
He's a good defender but looked at Ajax like a world star and leader so guess thats why people fall either way.

Personally the wages, alreadyplayed for three big clubs, notquitefulffilling the huge promise, being yet anotherpast Ten Hag player......hardly a bad signing but Id rather majority of the other names linked

Monks_United

How are we interested in him now ? Has his father hit the gym and gotten the physique of Adonis ? If not, then lets steer clear and send a message to his dad on what he needs to do for a transfer to united and maybe send him some lose weight fast links.

hobbers

We'll end up signing him and he'll be injured half the season on an even higher salary than Varane was on. Because that's what we do.