De Ligt | Manchester United open talks with Bayern

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern wanting rid says it all. I hope we've moved past these sorts of transfers.
His wages are (too) high and he has resale value. That is why Bayern is entertaining offers for him. Way too many contracts with high wages at Bayern. Thank you Brazzo!

Judas

Open to offers
His wages are (too) high and he has resale value. That is why Bayern is entertaining offers for him. Way too many contracts with high wages at Bayern. Thank you Brazzo!
Really, nothing to do with his injuries? I've not seen too much of him at Bayern, how is he when he's actually fit.

Crimson King

Objectively, is he better than Maguire?
Yeah and he's younger, but he's a similar style of defender in many respects. That isn't what we need, especially if the idea is to partner him with Martinez.

I think there are other CBs we should be targeting ahead of De Ligt, even if they aren't necessarily better players than him.

They need to be the right fit. Plus, I think he's had injury problems of his own.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Really, nothing to do with his injuries? I've not seen too much of him at Bayern, how is he when he's actually fit.
His injuries are not too catastrophic: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/matthijs-de-ligt/verletzungen/spieler/326031

But I am also used to Coman and Gnabry… :lol:
When he is fit he was a starter for Bayern. Kim and Upa were just to erratic.
Bayern wants/needs money and to clear the wage bill a bit. De Ligt is allegedly on €17m gross (about GBP280k pw).

Redcy

Sounds like made up links by journos/itks. De Ligt available, ETH is dutch and ex ajax, easy bs link

AlexUTD

Yeah and he's younger, but he's a similar style of defender in many respects. That isn't what we need, especially if the idea is to partner him with Martinez.

I think there are other CBs we should be targeting ahead of De Ligt, even if they aren't necessarily better players than him.

They need to be the right fit. Plus, I think he's had injury problems of his own.
Not a success in Italy and not a success in Germany so i doubt the Premier League is the right place for him.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Mental reactions in here. He hasn't failed at Bayern at all and is incredibly good. The only two minor issues would be wages and injuries but overall for a good price United should be all over this.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Haven’t followed him since Ajax, but seems he’s on a sliding scale where his teams are happy to get rid, which doesn’t fill with confidence, especially when Bayern are at it.

Better the devil you know between he and Maguire, and even then, as you say, we’re supposed to be offloading the Maguire profile as it is.

Stadjer

Agree. They have same strenght as being strong and good in the air. The also have the same weaknesses like not being the fastest or most agile defender. However de Ligt isnt as slow as Maguire. De Ligt is also a leader on the pitch who is even able to come up with goals at important times.

I think de Ligt will be fine with Martinez. De Ligt comes from Ajax and is used to play with space behind him. He is able to compensate his lack of speed for the most part. He isnt an amazing ball playing defender but he is atleast able to play that way since that is all Ajax want in a defender.

I do think he will cost way too much for one player while we need more than one player right now. He will also demand a big wage and has had some issues with injuries. So i agree he isnt the right player for this moment unless he is able to come fairly cheap (which i doubt is the case)

Not a success in Italy and not a success in Germany so i doubt the Premier League is the right place for him.
He has been a succes in both? He hasnt become the best defender in the world like the expectation was but he was a succes. You dont go from Juventus to Bayern if you arent doing well at Juventus. From what i have seen, Bayern fans consider him their best defender. He would fit the Premier League very well in my opinion. He has the physical strenght to deal with the Toneys in the league but also is not a big downside when his team is on the ball.

littlepeasoup

Mental reactions in here. He hasn't failed at Bayern at all and is incredibly good. The only two minor issues would be wages and injuries but overall for a good price United should be all over this.
Oh yeah, because we’ve historically been incredible at managing both.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
From what I've seen a lot of Bayern fans are pissed about this and consider him their best defender. Is that right?

His injuries worry me, though, the last thing we need is another injury prone CB.

Jingaling7

Why did we sell Chris Smalling
weird fan base who expected him to become the next Rio/Vidic

when infact he was a very very good defender, only real weakness in his game is his passing but i would take him over Maguire and Lindelof every day of the week.

AlexUTD

Agree. They have same strenght as being strong and good in the air. The also have the same weaknesses like not being the fastest or most agile defender. However de Ligt isnt as slow as Maguire. De Ligt is also a leader on the pitch who is even able to come up with goals at important times.

I think de Ligt will be fine with Martinez. De Ligt comes from Ajax and is used to play with space behind him. He is able to compensate his lack of speed for the most part. He isnt an amazing ball playing defender but he is atleast able to play that way since that is all Ajax want in a defender.

I do think he will cost way too much for one player while we need more than one player right now. He will also demand a big wage and has had some issues with injuries. So i agree he isnt the right player for this moment unless he is able to come fairly cheap (which i doubt is the case)

He has been a succes in both? He hasnt become the best defender in the world like the expectation was but he was a succes. You dont go from Juventus to Bayern if you arent doing well at Juventus. From what i have seen, Bayern fans consider him their best defender. He would fit the Premier League very well in my opinion. He has the physical strenght to deal with the Toneys in the league but also is not a big downside when his team is on the ball.
I was under the impression that he was not a success at Juventus, that is why they sold him no? Same with Bayern, do you want to sell someone that is a success at the club?

I expect a bit more nuance from you!
Sorry mate!

No nuances here, i am as bland as Michael Owen is as a pundit. :lol:

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Oh yeah, because we’ve historically been incredible at managing both.
I think wages and injury issues are more than 'minor'. :lol:
Well both are always an issue on a spectrum. There is no permanently injury free guaranteed player and no one plays for free.
I just brought wages up because that is the only reason Bayern are even considering selling him (still a dumb reason but they've made a lot of dumb moves in the past few years and are on track to continue), so yeah, right now he probably expects to get a high wage. And he has had a few knocks but honestly these days he's probably on par with what plenty of players are missing. He has missed 27 games in the last 3 years out of potential 180+ games so he's hardly Phil Jones.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I was under the impression that he was not a success at Juventus, that is why they sold him no? Same with Bayern, do you want to sell someone that is a success at the club?
I don't think he "failed" at Juve. They had Bremer coming in, Bayern paid good money and de Ligt already wanted to go to Bayern before he went to Juve.
He also didn't "fail" at Bayern. Nagelsmann didn't like his cautious approach, but under Tuchel he was a clear starter. He is on massive wages and Bayern seem to be bringing in Ito and Tah and are looking at Xavi Simons. De Ligt offers resale value.

Nico87

I’m all for it, we already have Shaw. Add him and 2 more fatties and we can literally build a wall to stop anyone bypassing us.