De Gea | Signs for Fiorentina

It amuses me when people reckon they 'know' what clubs have or haven't come in for him and what his intentions are. Of course you know that :lol:

I quit my job in April. Decided I didn't want to rush to find another job, so I haven't.
Can I afford to do this for now? Yes
Can I afford to retire? Sadly not :lol:
Am I thoroughly enjoying some time out after 30+ years of working all year round? God yes!
Have I turned down employment opportunities because they weren't quite right and I'm enjoying my time off working? Absolutely.

It's entirely reasonable to think he may be employing a similar thought process. The difference being he's a multi-millionaire that never need work another day in his life. If I was him, and I had offers but none I was crazy about, I'd be enjoying some quality family time too instead of half-arsing it somewhere I wasn't excited to be.

Last edited:
i think he knew it was time to hang up the gloves when the swan and paedo second xi dropped him as soon as big les was back on the tools after his knee op.

He’s apparently worth about 75m so no need to play for some mid table side when he could be enjoying his plunders with his family.

This is my point. He’s a footballer player. Not a chancer who got rich of Bitcoin. Go find a new job and enjoy your football for a cut fee.

It amuses me when people reckon they 'know' what clubs have or haven't come in for him and what his intentions are. Of course you know that :lol:

I quit my job in April. Decided I didn't want to rush to find another job, so I haven't.
Can I afford to do this for now? Yes
Can I afford to retire? Sadly not :lol:
Am I thoroughly enjoying some time out after 30+ years of working all year round? God yes!

It's entirely reasonable to think he may be employing a similar thought process. The difference being he's a multi-millionaire that never need work another day in his life. If I was him, and I had offers but none I was crazy about, I'd be enjoying some quality family time too instead of half-arsing it somewhere I wasn't excited to be.

Difference is you have a job that means you retire at 65. His job he retires at 40 if he’s lucky. He really doesn’t have the Luxury you speak off. Also note the pool charges and family memeber expenses do build up when your nolonger on £350k a week.

He is a championship GK probably looking for a top four wages. There is no point for him to go after 15k per week. He should probably spend time on coaching lessons.

Championship? Jesus Christ the stick he gets here is unreal.

I suspect he thought he'd retire here on easy street like Mata did, with little to no expectation from most fans or the club.

This is my point. He’s a footballer player. Not a chancer who got rich of Bitcoin. Go find a new job and enjoy your football for a cut fee.
He might enjoy retirement more than football. And that’s okay.

i think he knew it was time to hang up the gloves when the swan and paedo second xi dropped him as soon as big les was back on the tools after his knee op.
What are you going on about :lol:.

When you read some shit in here, there is some RAWK level delusion

I suspect he thought he'd retire here on easy street like Mata did, with little to no expectation from most fans or the club.

A) Mata didn't retire here.
B) If that was the case De Gea would be looking for another easy, high-paid gig in Saudi Arabia. Not, as this report suggests, durning that down because he wants to compete for trophies.

To be fair, that's just his face.

I thought so but in recent pics since leaving us I’ve genuinely seen the dude smiling, it’s actually weird to look at.

Unfortunately for De Gea, the only big club stupid enough to sign him was the one he left.

Ditto Ronaldo

The most shocking element of the story for me is our until recently starting keeper and highest paid player is happy to go from playing week in week out to never playing again.

A professional athlete doesn’t get to that point overnight, so he must have been feeling like that for a while - how did we not identify this a year or two ago and begin to ease him out of the team?

While I think he's wildly overrated on this board and by Man Utd fans in general, I still think DDG's a decent keeper, and he could do a good job in a mid-table/EL side in one of the top 5 leagues. But there's also his personal situation to consider, with his wife and kid in Spain he probably would like to be with them more often. But the Spanish league is probably the league that suits him the less.
Actually he'd fit really well in Ligue 1, nobody plays with a sweeper/keeper, GK's kicking isnt valued as much, most teams play a low defensive block to minimize the opponent's opportunities and give as few chances as possible so shot stopping is the most valued attribute. But he'd need to be willing to cut his Manchester salary by 6 or more for L1 teams to even consider him.

Difference is you have a job that means you retire at 65. His job he retires at 40 if he’s lucky. He really doesn’t have the Luxury you speak off. Also note the pool charges and family memeber expenses do build up when your nolonger on £350k a week.

The real difference is that De Gea earned more in a week than most people do in five years. If anyone has the luxury its him. If his expenses outweigh what he was bringing in then he's in shit, but if he's smart with his money, he could retire today and his grandchildren could live better than most people ever dream.

I'm amazed at how people act like footballers and celebrities are one missed pay check away from having to go to a food bank. How is everyone else surviving then?

I can't see top teams going for him but he could hack it with your Romas, Sevilles and the likes, some of these teams actually play in the CL too

Wasn't he putting out training videos a few weeks ago trying to show off how sharp he was?

I imagine not many clubs fancy him and he doesn't want to drop down to his actual level after we indulged him for so long. Where would he actually succeed? Teams with a low block will want a keeper that claims the ball out of the air and dominate the penalty area. Teams with a higher line will want a keeper comfortable out of his 6 yard box. He isn't a keeper for either situation.

The real difference is that De Gea earned more in a week than most people do in five years. If anyone has the luxury its him. If his expenses outweigh what he was bringing in then he's in shit, but if he's smart with his money, he could retire today and his grandchildren could live better than most people ever dream.

I'm amazed at how people act like footballers and celebrities are one missed pay check away from having to go to a food bank. How is everyone else surviving then?

The football studios are filled with the players to ever do it. It’s not a coincidence. Obviously in everything there are exceptions to the rule. But it’s rare to find people who don’t live to their means. I.e. rich people spending rich.

This is an utterly moronic post. Amazed it comes from a united fan... whatever you think about ddg abilities now he deserves more respect than this. Pathetic.

Why it is disrespectful? I just believe that he cant cut it at the top level as a first choice.

Drop the wage demands then decent clubs would be interested

He’s 33. This is just silly and probably highlights how badly ran we are as a club. When you consider Lingard aswell. It’s like life was so easy at United these guys believe they should no longer graft.

Go to Real Betis or however it is. Get yourself a £50k a week contract and bebuild your career.

I’m sure Van Der Saar’s move to Fulham meant he dropped those big wages from Juventus.
Not sure about the graft part- though you might be right- but in terms of quality it's very telling. I remember Jose saying to the press that people should look at the players United had released/sold and where they ended up as proof at the quality of those players and it keeps happening. People always say LVG got rid of too many players but never reference where those players ended up or what careers they had after they left.

A lot of top clubs are not exactly falling over themselves to sign our players/ex-players. Says a lot.

He's still on the upper level of goalkeepers, I'd say, but no longer on an elite level.

I think it's unlikely he's not had any queries into his availability, but it might be that his expectations and demands need to drop a bit, or he will have to retire.

He needs to find a club soon for the sake of his career. The longer he stays out of competitive football, the harder it is to get back in. A whole season as a free agent doesn’t look good on the metaphorical CV if that happens.

If he is indeed demanding huge wages then the past three months has been one hell of a humbling for him.

A) Mata didn't retire here.
B) If that was the case De Gea would be looking for another easy, high-paid gig in Saudi Arabia. Not, as this report suggests, durning that down because he wants to compete for trophies.

A) Oh he did, he just still turned up for work.
b) Saudis are rich not stupid.

:lol: you must have started early

Lingard, Pogba, De Gea, and soon Martial (next season) this club sure does have a bad habit of keeping their garbages for far too long.

I thought so but in recent pics since leaving us I’ve genuinely seen the dude smiling, it’s actually weird to look at.

Ditto Ronaldo

The most shocking element of the story for me is our until recently starting keeper and highest paid player is happy to go from playing week in week out to never playing again.

A professional athlete doesn’t get to that point overnight, so he must have been feeling like that for a while - how did we not identify this a year or two ago and begin to ease him out of the team?
Caf armchair psychologists out in force today! How on earth do you know this? I think it's far more likely that he is still motivated to compete at the very top level but if no top club wants him, doesn't want to compete for mid table each season. Or maybe he found that he was enjoying having the time off and with his family more than he expected to, so retirement becomes more attractive. It says nothing about his mindset while at united unless you're trying to retrofit your own narratives.

Caf armchair psychologists out in force today! How on earth do you know this? I think it's far more likely that he is still motivated to compete at the very top level but if no top club wants him, doesn't want to compete for mid table each season. Or maybe he found that he was enjoying having the time off and with his family more than he expected to, so retirement becomes more attractive. It says nothing about his mindset while at united unless you're trying to retrofit your own narratives.

How many other top footballers can you think of who were seriously considering retirement when they could easily go on for another 5 years, if not more?

It’s not like he’s been struggling with injury or other setbacks, he won the PL golden glove a couple of months ago.

I’d say this situation is fairly unprecedented, strange and worthy of discussion in terms of what it says about the player and United who until recently had him as our top earner.

Ditto Ronaldo

This is an odd take.

This piece is saying that De Gea still thinks he's in his prime, wants to play for a major club competing for honours, might retire if he can't do that and that money isn't a priority. Why on earth would that have bothered us, a major club looking to compete for trophies? That's broadly the sort of attitude we'd want from our players.

If anything he (if that story is true) is overly ambitious, not accepting that his time at that level is done or that there might be more to the rest of his career than just trying to win trophies.

How many other top footballers can you think of who were seriously considering retirement when they could easily go on for another 5 years, if not more?

It’s not like he’s been struggling with injury or other setbacks, he won the PL golden glove a couple of months ago.

I’d say this situation is fairly unprecedented, strange and worthy of discussion in terms of what it says about the player and United who until recently had him as our top earner.
Do you really think ddg has another five years in him? There's an argument to be made that it's better to go out at the top level than to slowly slide down the league eking out a living with average sides to squeeze a last few quid out. Your posts reek of imposing a predetermined narrative onto a set of circumstances. You've made your mind up already but don't pretend to know what he's thinking

This is an odd take.

This piece is saying that De Gea still thinks he's in his prime, wants to play for a major club competing for honours, might retire if he can't do that and that money isn't a priority. Why on earth would that have bothered us, a major club looking to compete for trophies?

If anything he (if that story is true) is overly ambitious, not accepting that his time at that level is done or that there might be more to the rest of his career than just trying to win trophies.

It’s only an odd take if you believe what is being said, which I find fanciful.

“I want to okay for a top club (none of which want me) or never play football again… nothing in between”

It’s bizarre, and makes me question the guys mentality and desire.

He already looked like a nervous wreck the past two seasons, the club should have been easing him out rather than dealing with a sudden exit.

Don’t think this is true but I also think he’ll sign a short deal with us for when Onana leaves for ACON so he gets his farewell as well
This will be best for all parties. I’d love to see it happen. He deserves his farewell run if Onana is away.

Do you really think ddg has another five years in him?

You seriously don’t? I’m not saying he has five years in him at a top club but he’s a highly experienced professional and for a keeper is still young.

He could easily move to mid table European team in any league and start for them every week, if he had the desire to.

That Bayern stayed with Ulreich and Madrid went for Kepa over him tells you all you need to know about how he's rated by top clubs. Still has it in him to play for a mid table/lower PL or La Liga side but it's a question of whether his ego can handle the drop in stature and wages.

He is definitely within his rights to know his worth and not accept any old offer.

He is a multi millionaire that is secure for life. Why would he play for Getafe for a fraction of his old wage?

It’s a job, and very few people in life work for less than they need.

It’s only an odd take if you believe what is being said, which I find fanciful.

“I want to okay for a top club (none of which want me) or never play football again… nothing in between”

It’s bizarre, and makes me question the guys mentality and desire.

He already looked like a nervous wreck the past two seasons, the club should have been easing him out rather than dealing with a sudden exit.

You said:

So the premise of your point is that this story is true. Except you're selectively discarding the parts of it that don't suit your criticism of De Gea or the club.

If you think the story is fanciful, great. You then have no reason to believe he's considering retirement and the point you were making has no basis to it.

He’s 33. This is just silly and probably highlights how badly ran we are as a club. When you consider Lingard aswell. It’s like life was so easy at United these guys believe they should no longer graft.

Go to Real Betis or however it is. Get yourself a £50k a week contract and bebuild your career.

I’m sure Van Der Saar’s move to Fulham meant he dropped those big wages from Juventus.
Van Der Sar was earning De Gea’s monthly wage in a year. Not to mention De Gea has been in one of the highest pressure positions in world football for a decade.

Maybe he just wants to enjoy life? There’s plenty of examples of footballers retiring in their early 30s, let alone those who have been earning £1 million a week.

You seriously don’t? I’m not saying he has five years in him at a top club but he’s a highly experienced professional and for a keeper is still young.

He could easily move to mid table European team in any league and start for them every week, if he had the desire to.
33 is not young for a keeper.

Van Der Sar was earning De Gea’s monthly wage in a year. Not to mention De Gea has been in one of the highest pressure positions in world football for a decade.

Maybe he just wants to enjoy life? There’s plenty of examples of footballers retiring in their early 30s, let alone those who have been earning £1 million a week.

If that was the case why didn’t he retire at the end of the City game?

Was Van Der Saar not in a high pressure job then? I mean the medals say it all.

My point is enjoy your life when your body has given up and your career is over. This guy is just hanging up because he can’t get the money.

If that was the case why didn’t he retire at the end of the City game?

Was Van Der Saar not in a high pressure job then? I mean the medals say it all.

My point is enjoy your life when your body has given up and your career is over. This guy is just hanging up because he can’t get the money.
No, this is you putting your interpretation on another person's actions. Actions that aren't even confirmed, it has to be said.

It's been clear you don't like him for a while but this is just dim.