De Gea | Signs for Fiorentina

What does it matter? He's under no obligation to continue playing. He may be done with football unless he feels there's a club that excites him or a deal too good to turn down. He's a very wealthy person, he doesn't need to play again.

Some players cling on to their playing days and are happily willing to keep dropping down the leagues just to keep playing. Others don't. There's no right or wrong.

Geez, the way you're reacting to it, I can only imagine you're his agent and are upset at missing out on signing fees.

You’re talking like it’s the norm to just sit out a season then compared it to Cantona which is completely irrelevant but whatever

You’re talking like it’s the norm to just sit out a season then compared it to Cantona which is completely irrelevant but whatever

I've not said it's normal. It's clearly not. All I've done is speculate on why he might not be that bothered if ever plays again.

The Cantona comparison isn't entirely irrelevant. He retired young, when most people felt he could have easily carried on. But he didn't feel that desire to continue.

De Gea could easily be in the same frame of mind, but hasn't completely ruled out coming back.

Even if the true reason turns out to be him still asking clubs for £350k a week, What's wrong with that. That's what he's valuing himself at. It may be absurd, but that's his prerogative.

Whatever his current thinking is, it's certainly not a disgrace or a joke.

Professional football is not really a profession where you can take sabbaticals because you feel like it. The cutthroat nature and sheer competition for places somewhat prevents it. There are so many players out there determined to get a spot in a team it’s unreal. God knows how many new young goalkeepers emerge onto the scene every season and catch the eye of the top league clubs with the modern scouting networks these days. If you’re not involved in some way, it feels like you get lost in the shuffle and get forgotten about.

It’s up to him how he wants to do it but I think he’s deluded if he thinks he can walk into a team that’s competing in Europe, go straight in as the starting goalkeeper and still get paid what he was on at United or close to that, especially after a year out with no injury.

I can understand frustrations people have because you can see he can afford to do what he is currently doing because we’ve given him so much money over the years (probably more than he’s been actually worth based on his actual performances in his last few years especially), but I’d blame those clowns Woodward and Glazers for that because they’ve been throwing money around like confetti for a lot of players over the years. These are the people that had Brandon fecking Williams on £65k a week.

Poster boy for the way we overrate our players. The Caf swore up and down that this guy was the best goalkeeper in the world yet he couldn't buy a job for 12 months. Pure delusion.
He literally had offers and didn't engage on them. It's been reported by multiple reputable sources. This level of hatred for someone who did so much for the club. Wild.

Lad is living in fantasy world, if his salary expectations are that unrealistic. If he wants to to play and wants the money, go to Saudi league.

If Genoa or Girona are interested in you, you or your agent should be realistic about the financial package you ask for.

You'd think he would want to play football for a few more years.....

Lad is living in fantasy world, if his salary expectations are that unrealistic. If he wants to to play and wants the money, go to Saudi league.

If Genoa or Girona are interested in you, you or your agent should be realistic about the financial package you ask for.

All the stranger, if it is wage demands, given he's been paid zero euros a week for the past year.

The Genoa contract thing is just an excuse for him to retire. Oh since no clubs wants to offer him the amounts he wants, he will retire without regrets.

To be fair to him the reporting clearly states he has other offers on the table some of which may be more appealing or lucrative. I don't think turning down Genoa is in itself a particularly bad look. Genoa might well have gone in with a really lowball offer, we don't know the terms so it is hard to say if he is deluded.

Former United keeper joining Genoa but it's not De Gea

Last edited:
I don't know why people have to view this in such harsh terms. Maybe De Gea isn't that motivated to play football, and he probably doesn't need the money, and so the circumstances have to be optimal (for his preferences) for an opportunity to appeal to him. That's perfectly acceptable; wouldn't we all want to be in that sort of situation? And then a club like Genoa might seem uninspiring, and maybe he doesn't want to move to the US.

Or whatever. All speculation on my side as well of course, but why speculate negative things and then judge him for it? Where's the benefit or fun in that?

I don't know why people have to view this in such harsh terms. Maybe De Gea isn't that motivated to play football, and he probably doesn't need the money, and so the circumstances have to be optimal (for his preferences) for an opportunity to appeal to him. That's perfectly acceptable; wouldn't we all want to be in that sort of situation? And then a club like Genoa might seem uninspiring, and maybe he doesn't want to move to the US.

Or whatever. All speculation on my side as well of course, but why speculate negative things and then judge him for it? Where's the benefit or fun in that?

Agreed, and it's along the same sort of lines what @Globule was saying. I can say what I think I'd like to if I could try and put myself in his shoes but that's about it. On that level I love Varane's move to Como that was announced today. I don't know De Gea's motivations here, and if he wants different from what I would then so what?

Seen similar where a declining player is criticised for not retiring because they personally don't like to watch them playing to a lower standard than they're accustomed to. Anger as if they're owed that. It's weird.

Personally I think I'd have been all over Genoa if that was an option. Might have seen if I could worm my way into Celtic before they signed Schmeichel too. Trophies and European football on offer whilst playing in front of lots of fans. Everything has a downside though, a club like Celtic have financial restraints and no disrespect I might have wanted somewhere warmer than Glasgow if I were him.

I will say that if he thinks he can land a fat contract with a top club in one Europe's biggest leagues and be their starting goalie then he might be kidding himself, but I don't know if he thinks he can or not.

Last edited:
I will say that if he thinks he can land a fat contract with a top club in one Europe's biggest leagues and be their starting goalie then he might be kidding himself, but I don't know if he thinks he can or not.
Yeah, if that's his thinking then he'll probably wait a long time still, but as long as he doesn't give an interview, no-one actually knows what his intentions really are.

Some weird anger going around here where people seem to feel entitled to dictate what de Gea is supposed to do with his career. Even if his decisions don't make sense to you, even if you'd do things differently than him... so what? It's his career, he can do whatever he wants with it. Retire, play for a 5th tier team in Indonesia, open a muffin bakery, whatever - it's none of our business. Being interested in how things continue for him is one thing, but getting outright angry over it is just plain weird.

As for the Genoa story, it's interesting to see how many different stories go around once again. There are claims about advanced talks that fell through due to his wage demands, there's talk like the linked Romano claim that he was never even close to joining them, and there was that article that Genoa never approached Genoa, he approached them and they weren't interested.

Fiorentina - possible destination New
Some rumours of him going to Fiorentina.

Because it looks pretty bad for United that their highest paid player just retires when he doesn't get the contract he wants. It looks like he lacks passion, which is pretty damning (from a United point of view).

Because it looks pretty bad for United that their highest paid player just retires when he doesn't get the contract he wants. It looks like he lacks passion, which is pretty damning (from a United point of view).
Not really. Football is just a job for plenty of players, especially after having played for many years. That doesn't mean the player isn't giving everything while under contract.

Well I for one can't wait to see him playing again and if nothing else get to see the highlights of his spectacular saves without having to worry about his increasing number of clangers.

Despite what the revisionists would have you believe, he was still capable of the sublime even in his last season here when he was obviously making far too many costly mistakes. Some of these saves Onana can't make even in his dreams:

And yes hahaha my user name is David De Gea. I agreed it was time for him to move on, I'm just disappointed Onana was what we ended up with.

Let's be honest. He had a hell of a life and no matter what he does or where he goes from here, he'll always be remembered as one of the goalkeepers

Redcafe told me he was finished, that he was destined for earlier retirement and that taking a year out was career suicide............

cretins