De Gea | Signs for Fiorentina

Curious to how he will perform upcoming season. Not playing for a year has obvious downsides but letting his body recover from years of non stop diving and falling to the ground might have a positive effect on him.

Hope he does well for Fiorentina. Even if it would encourage the Onana hater club to make even weirder and bolder statements.

My headcanon is that he's spent the past year in a training program which is the equivalent of a montage in a movie, where he has overcome his mediocrity with his feet

I never said he wasn’t a shit gk. Just that the strengths we bought him for, we haven’t been able to play to them yet.
His “strengths” by most accounts are exaggerated and have very little to do with Harry Maguire. He will be the same shit GK when we have de Ligt, Yoro and Martinez aying.

Good to see him back in the game, hopefully he will have fantastic career in Serie A.

His “strengths” by most accounts are exaggerated and have very little to do with Harry Maguire. He will be the same shit GK when we have de Ligt, Yoro and Martinez aying.
Well like I said, we haven’t seen them yet. That’s my point.

Has Onana's performance & EtH's tactics in 23/24 justified the latter getting rid of DDG & buying the former for £50m?
You're not really allowed to say it round here but absolutely not. Getting rid of DDG was correct in my opinion due to a combination of wages/declining performances and the odd situation it would have been for him to be relegated to 2nd choice.

Nobody will be able to convince me £50m on Onana was a good idea though. Such a poor keeper with so many shortcomings and I've seen little evidence of these supposed strengths of his. Even now as I watch the charity shield and he hoofs long ball after long ball to no one.

Good that he's finally got a club. Might just watch some Forentina games to see how he gets on.

Glad he's back in the game.
It was utterly criminal seeing him waste a year.

You're not really allowed to say it round here but absolutely not. Getting rid of DDG was correct in my opinion due to a combination of wages/declining performances and the odd situation it would have been for him to be relegated to 2nd choice.

Nobody will be able to convince me £50m on Onana was a good idea though. Such a poor keeper with so many shortcomings and I've seen little evidence of these supposed strengths of his. Even now as I watch the charity shield and he hoofs long ball after long ball to no one.
Onana reminds me of Barthez.

Agree it was time for DDG to move on but Onana doesn't fill me with any more confidence than DDG, maybe even less.

Last edited:
Glad for him. Took a rest and hopefully cleared his mind. Will be interesting to see how he performs.

12 years and 415 games in United shirt. A total pro on and off the pitch, and my old heart still remember that lanky young Gk starting for us.

Will be great to see him again.

Way too good to not be playing football, so it's nice to see him back in the thick of things. If he has a good season I could see him back in the Spain squad considering Kepa was 3rd choice goalkeeper at the Euros, unless he has retired from the NT of course.

It's the "how" we got rid. Contract offers, negotiations, compromise, agreement and then we withdraw our offer and replace it with another "offer" best described as an insult. Embarrassing.

Replacing him with Onana was also not the right move. We didn't improve in regards to GKs.

Shameful behaviour on our part. I hope he does well in Italy.

It's the "how" we got rid. Contract offers, negotiations, compromise, agreement and then we withdraw our offer and replace it with another "offer" best described as an insult. Embarrassing.

Replacing him with Onana was also not the right move. We didn't improve in regards to GKs.

Shameful behaviour on our part. I hope he does well in Italy.
We've already improved massively when it comes to saving pens.

De Gea fanbois are so weird. Can’t stop obsessing about Onana, even in a thread dedicated entirely to their guy signing for a mediocre Serie A team.

Yup. I can't say I'm convinced by Onana yet, but the fact that there were no takers (big guns at least) for De Gea on a free transfer should be quite telling. That said, he has obviously been a good servant for the club over the years.

De Gea fanbois are so weird. Can’t stop obsessing about Onana, even in a thread dedicated entirely to their guy signing for a mediocre Serie A team.
I wouldn't have said there's much obsessing about Onana here. Not compared to you obsessing over ddg in the Onana thread last season TBF

I wouldn't have said there's much obsessing about Onana here. Not compared to you obsessing over ddg in the Onana thread last season TBF
Obviously my username doesn't help me but every time I make a comment about Onana's performance or ability it's always brought back to Onana vs De Gea which is annoying to say the least. I think there's few if any fans really think we should have kept DDG. What I do think is the real debate is should we expect better from a £50m goalkeeper? Could we have got another goalkeeper with better ball playing the DDG but without all Onana's shortcomings when it actually comes to keeping goal?

I really think we could have and I think all of Onana's shortcomings are going to bite us again this season. That does not for one second mean I think DDG should still be United's goalkeeper.

Obviously my username doesn't help me but every time I make a comment about Onana's performance or ability it's always brought back to Onana vs De Gea which is annoying to say the least. I think there's few if any fans really think we should have kept DDG. What I do think is the real debate is should we expect better from a £50m goalkeeper? Could we have got another goalkeeper with better ball playing the DDG but without all Onana's shortcomings when it actually comes to keeping goal?

I really think we could have and I think all of Onana's shortcomings are going to bite us again this season. That does not for one second mean I think DDG should still be United's goalkeeper.
Absolutely. DDG was a legend for us (I think) but it was absolutely his time to go. That said, Onana was not an upgrade at the time (in my opinion) and he's been shaky since. I suspect we'll end up moving him on in fairly short order.

Absolutely. DDG was a legend for us (I think) but it was absolutely his time to go. That said, Onana was not an upgrade at the time (in my opinion) and he's been shaky since. I suspect we'll end up moving him on in fairly short order.

This is also nonsense.

I’ll admit that Onana still has a lot to prove and we should be expecting more from a goalkeeper as expensive as him. But he has clearly already surpassed the very low bar set by his predecessor. The problem is, there’s not many PL keepers who couldn’t do that.

This is also nonsense.

I’ll admit that Onana still has a lot to prove and we should be expecting more from a goalkeeper as expensive as him. But he has clearly already surpassed the very low bar set by his predecessor. The problem is, there’s not many PL keepers who couldn’t do that.
Disagree. How has he 'clearly' been better?

He's much better with ball at feet but he's not good enough at the things de gea was poor at to justify the upgrade. We would have been better off last year with ddg. I know where you fall on this so it's not worth the debate, but that's where I am.

We've already improved massively when it comes to saving pens.

In contrast to getting worse in most other areas in regards to the stuff good GKs do.

We ended things badly with De Gea and replaced him - for 50 million - with a guy that's not really good. Once again - great stuff.

Disagree. How has he 'clearly' been better?

He's much better with ball at feet but he's not good enough at the things de gea was poor at to justify the upgrade. We would have been better off last year with ddg. I know where you fall on this so it's not worth the debate, but that's where I am.
I mean, he's obviously been better and enables us to play a different, more modern way, and your initial claim that he "wasn't an upgrade at the time" is genuinely insane - he had been one of the top performing GKs in Europe by pretty much all metrics for several seasons and was an excellent choice. He obviously needs to prove more at Utd (would be nice for him to play behind a defence that's actually comfortable receiving the ball), but despite his mishaps early last season, he's showing good signs of progress and had a good/very good second half of the season.

I mean, he's obviously been better and enables us to play a different, more modern way, and your initial claim that he "wasn't an upgrade at the time" is genuinely insane - he had been one of the top performing GKs in Europe by pretty much all metrics for several seasons and was an excellent choice. He obviously needs to prove more at Utd (would be nice for him to play behind a defence that's actually comfortable receiving the ball), but despite his mishaps early last season, he's showing good signs of progress and had a good/very good second half of the season.
Again, disagree. He's not 'obviously been better'. Feel free to bang on about stats all you want but he came in and was poor, so no, he wasn't an upgrade at the time. There's also been very little evidence of the 'more modern' style of play so far. Yes, we need players that are more comfortable receiving the ball but, again, I'd argue that we shouldn't have brought him in until we had those pieces in place. Even without that, he's an average shot stopper that always seems to have a mistake in him.

Again, disagree. He's not 'obviously been better'. Feel free to bang on about stats all you want but he came in and was poor, so no, he wasn't an upgrade at the time. There's also been very little evidence of the 'more modern' style of play so far.
I mean, he was, and there has been, but it seems your mind is made up on this notwithstanding what is actually happening and what was the reality at the time he was signed, so whatever.

I mean, he was, and there has been, but it seems your mind is made up on this notwithstanding what is actually happening and what was the reality at the time he was signed, so whatever.
Just continuing to say 'he was' and claiming it's 'the reality' doesn't make it so, you know? I don't want to be argumentative about it, but your take is just as much opinion as mine.

A lot of people were doubtful he'd ever find a club again in any meaningful sense, so glad he gets a stint at a club such as Fiorentina (solidly mid table but not the less prestigious badge to play for).

My headcanon is that he's spent the past year in a training program which is the equivalent of a montage in a movie, where he has overcome his mediocrity with his feet

Fiorentina could have made an announcement vid of him playing the piano with his feet. Missed opportunity.

Whilst I agree with most of what you have said it is still pretty much a certainty that we would have made the knock out stage of the Champions League last season if we still had him.
Chances are he too might have done those mistakes what Onana did. Last couple of years he had few howlers as well. Point is, he was a great short stopper with many shortcomings as pointed out by Rojofiam. We definitely needed an upgrade on him and so far Onana has been quite decent. Jury is still out on Onana but I too disagree with people claiming we should have kept Dave. I used to love the guy and he indeed was a great servant for the club but we moved on from him at the right time.

Gave his first interview/press conference (not sure which!) earlier today.

On his inactivity: "It's true I didn't play but I didn't stand still: I trained because I knew I would come back one day. I trained hard even if alone... I never thought of retiring: I played 12 years in a very important club like United and my heart will always be there. For me, however, it was difficult to find the motivation to face a new adventure".

It's few months before his 34th birthday and he's moving to a nice city in beautiful country. Great decision imo. Should be good enough GK for Fiorentina for next 3-4 years before probably retiring.

Good lucky to David. Not everyone will call him United legend (believe fans are split on that?) but for me he is, especially as he was one bright spot in our team for so many years.

Finally found himself a new club, yes he has been in decline since he peaked in 2018 but much worse players haven't gone a season without football.

Oh my. There's no doubt Onana improved in the second half of the season so optimism for the new season is understandable, perhaps even warranted, but he was a disaster the first half of the season. His shot stopping is nowhere near elite and his footwork, while slightly better -- and I do mean slightly better -- than De Gea's footwork, we still far too many wayward passes into touch, way too much doddering with his foot on the ball and more than a few passes that put out defenders under intense pressure that lead to mistakes.

Perhaps a few months from now Onana will have been brilliant for the last few months as a shot stopper and as a passer, but it is nowhere close to being reasonable to argue that on the basis of what we saw from Onana last season that he was an upgrade on De Gea. Maybe he will be, but so far he hasn't been.

And yet if Dave shits his pants with Fiorentina Onana's apologists can tell us they told us so, but as of right now based on what we saw last season we absolutely downgraded at keeper although it is true Onana rallied at the end of the season to avoid forcing ETH to look elsewhere for a keeper.