De Gea | Signs for Fiorentina

He stayed at the top and only dropped of during his last couple of seasons for us.
The 2018 World Cup was the end of De Gea as a top keeper. He'd just had the best season of his career, then went to that World Cup and utterly shit the bed for Spain. Seemed to destroy him mentally and he never recovered. So it wasn't just his last couple of seasons with us, it was his last five seasons; literally half a decade.

There's a reason that giving him that contract at the end of 18/19 was seen as such a stupid decision, as he'd just had his first bad season (indeed the last few months of that season was the worst of his entire career) and there were question marks over whether he'd recover. As it turned out, he never did.

Open to moving to Genoa who are considering him according to Di Marzio.

Sorry for a naive question but… is it really that hard to learn how to kick a balla at the age of 30? Given he was souranded with top coaches I think he could have worked on that element of the game

It's not just about kicking a ball, it's everything about the position really, if you're style is not to be playing away from your goal, coming for crosses, sweeping etc. Or dropping out to create and extra option in possession and having the ability and passing range to be comfortable on the ball around your own goal. It's incredibly difficult to change your whole game to become the total opposite of what you have been your whole career.

Frans Hoek tried and failed. He said himself he faced resistance at Utd and if he couldn't do it 10 years ago, then I doubt there's much hope of anyone being able to do it now.

https://www.skysports.com/football/story-telling/11095/11991627/frans-hoek-godfather-of-goalkeeping

Open to moving to Genoa who are considering him according to Di Marzio.
Well that'll finally kill off the ridiculous argument of his wage demands being the reason nobody wanted him then.

Sounds like he has finally gotten bored enough to feel playing football might be tolerable without there needing to be a quarter of a million per week involved.

Assuming he's kept himself in good shape during his gap year I expect he'll do very well there.

Would love to see De Gea back in the game and doing well. For all the issues that made him unsuitable to continue with us, I have a tremendous amount of affection for both him and that old-school-style pure shotstopper.

The 2018 World Cup was the end of De Gea as a top keeper. He'd just had the best season of his career, then went to that World Cup and utterly shit the bed for Spain. Seemed to destroy him mentally and he never recovered. So it wasn't just his last couple of seasons with us, it was his last five seasons; literally half a decade.

There's a reason that giving him that contract at the end of 18/19 was seen as such a stupid decision, as he'd just had his first bad season (indeed the last few months of that season was the worst of his entire career) and there were question marks over whether he'd recover. As it turned out, he never did.
Saying he was bad for us for half a decade is just plain history re-writing. So strange.

Saying he was bad for us for half a decade is just plain history re-writing. So strange.
I never said he was downright bad for the entire half a decade, just that he hadn't been a top keeper for that half a decade. Which is clearly true.

18/19 he was average for most of the season (so not bad, but it was a very noticeable drop from his previous level). He was then absolutely atrocious for the last few months of that season, the worst form of his entire career. That form was the main reason we didn't make the CL spots as he was almost costing us a goal a game (from memory it was 8 goals in 11 games coming directly from his mistakes).
19/20 he was average-to-poor all season, culminating in being directly at fault for 3 of the 5 goals we conceded in the Europa and FA Cup semis.
20/21 he was average-to-poor all season, which ultimately led to even Ole who was loyal to a fault dropping him for Henderson.
21/22 first half of the season was the only time in those five years where he looked similar to his best, but unfortunately he dropped right off again in the second half of the season.
22/23 he was average most of the season, with a poor last couple of months again.

17/18 was the last season where he was a truly top keeper. Other than the brief resurgence for the first four months or so of 21/22, he hasn't been close to that level since.

Disagree with you here.

He ranged from average to bad from the World Cup 2018 till when he left in 2023.

2013-2018 he was an absolutely world class shot stopper.

That Ronaldo hat trick broke him.

According to reports there isn't really anything behind the Genoa move. He has been offered to them, but while they think the media attention this would gather would be nice, his age and having been without a team for a year make him undesirable from a sporting side.

A professional athlete decides to sit out for 12 months its a disgrace to be honest.

Looked like shit in his latter years here he's got zero motivation what so ever has he.

Retire Dave you fecking clown.

Poster boy for the way we overrate our players. The Caf swore up and down that this guy was the best goalkeeper in the world yet he couldn't buy a job for 12 months. Pure delusion.

A professional athlete decides to sit out for 12 months its a disgrace to be honest.

Looked like shit in his latter years here he's got zero motivation what so ever has he.

This sort of anger towards him absolutely baffles me. It's so weird :lol:

I can only imagine his demands — both salary and status of club — were far higher than his actual ability and what teams actually want for him. Really should just retire if he’s not willing to go to a side at his actual level and be paid appropriately.

Poster boy for the way we overrate our players. The Caf swore up and down that this guy was the best goalkeeper in the world yet he couldn't buy a job for 12 months. Pure delusion.
There was a period where he was at the very least a comfortable second or third in the world behind Neuer and maybe one or two other keepers. But that was a long time ago and the last 3 or so seasons he was at this club were a massive detriment to us. Should’ve got him gone earlier.

This sort of anger towards him absolutely baffles me. It's so weird :lol:

It's the attitude of him a professional athlete just decided to feck it off for a year because why not?

Infuriating because we overpaid a player who had checked out years ago and he gives zero fecks

He can literally do what he wants, but logically speaking, taking a year out was always likely to work against him in the long run, if he really does care to play at the top level again. He's not our issue anymore, thankfully, I'm glad we've moved on.

It's the attitude of him a professional athlete just decided to feck it off for a year because why not?

Infuriating because we overpaid a player who had checked out years ago and he gives zero fecks
Such nonsense.

I hope he joins a club. I want to see his saves which are made for Hollywood.

Bit harsh that.
He can do whatever he wants, he can sit out 12 months, or 24 months, or 36 months and then sign for Peebles Rovers or something.
He doesn’t owe anyone an “official retirement” statement really.

We overpaid literally everyone for the last decade, most of them gave zero fecks, many of them took part in some of the most embarrassing defeats in the clubs history, no need to single anyone specific out really.

Makes no sense.

Why is it? it's hard to find a pro player at DDG's level that just decides to sit out a full year of football. It's a joke
It’s his life and his decision. He’s free to do whatever the feck he wants. Your anger is extremely weird and in no way warranted.

Why is it? it's hard to find a pro player at DDG's level that just decides to sit out a full year of football. It's a joke
He can do what he wants. He can retire if he wants. It's the second part of your post I was referring to anyway, the notion that he 'checked out years ago and gave zero fecks'. You can say he was poor his last couple of seasons and he was but he certainly cared.

He can do what he wants. He can retire if he wants. It's the second part of your post I was referring to anyway, the notion that he 'checked out years ago and gave zero fecks'. You can say he was poor his last couple of seasons and he was but he certainly cared.

I just see it as a nonsense. His levels drop off a cliff in quick succussion then sits home for a year when his deal is up? at the very least it raises questions about his professionalism he cant be bothered to even play the game. We were paying him about 350k a week just over 12 months ago, he's a joke in my opinion.

I just see it as a nonsense. His levels drop off a cliff in quick succussion then sits home for a year when his deal is up? at the very least it raises questions about his professionalism he cant be bothered to even play the game. We were paying him about 350k a week just over 12 months ago, he's a joke in my opinion.
An aging player who relied mostly on his relfexes, who had been playing at the top level since he was 19 had a form drop and considering a retirement shocker.

An aging player who relied mostly on his relfexes, who had been playing at the top level since he was 19 had a form drop and considering a retirement shocker.

Well he didn’t retire and his entertaining offers so that’s certainly a take well done

Yep. We also used to say in 2008 that Ronaldo is the best player in the world, and now the loser is playing in Saudi Arabia.

It certainly doesn't raise any questions about his professionalism. He's not under contract with anyone and is free to do what he wants.

He just might not have the desire to continue playing unless another lucrative offer comes in, which is probably unlikely at this stage.

Cantona retired at 30. Is he also joke?

It certainly doesn't raise any questions about his professionalism. He's not under contract with anyone and is free to do what he wants.

He just might not have the desire to continue playing unless another lucrative offer comes in, which is probably unlikely at this stage.

Cantona retired at 30. Is he also joke?

Did he sit out for 12 months? In what world of professional sport do people just sit it out?

Ridiculous comparison

MLS might be a good move for him. Just weird a goalkeeper at united who started every game has been without a club for a year.

Did he sit out for 12 months? In what world of professional sport do people just sit it out?

Ridiculous comparison

What does it matter? He's under no obligation to continue playing. He may be done with football unless he feels there's a club that excites him or a deal too good to turn down. He's a very wealthy person, he doesn't need to play again.

Some players cling on to their playing days and are happily willing to keep dropping down the leagues just to keep playing. Others don't. There's no right or wrong.

Geez, the way you're reacting to it, I can only imagine you're his agent and are upset at missing out on signing fees.

He thinks he is worth much more than what clubs are offering him. United paying him 3 times the salary of the best EPL GK of the last 5 years Alison Becker has made DDG deluded into thinking he’s one of the best in the world.

Either he lowers his wage demands or he will retire.

I can’t see Edurne moving to Saudi :lol: