De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

The No.10!

I have a feeling De Gea will be reluctant to go. The last time they were in for him, LvG was in-charge and the club, although seemingly moving in the correct direction, was kind-a sorta-a standing still. He was unsure, like everyone else around the club, of what might transpire. The contract signing was, I think, a cover for the club to sell him the next year, but we won the Cup and Mou came in, and so DDG stayed.

Now, I think he genuinely loves being a part of this United team. I don't see him leaving, although I'm not ruling that out 100%, but my gut says he'll be more than just happy to stay. He has the chance to go down as our greater EVER goalkeeper, and that definitely will be something for any professional footballer.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Would be nice dealing with Madrid after last summer where they had 2 different prices for Morata one for United and one for the rest of the clubs chasing him.

Apparently they rejected £90 million from United but ended up accepting £75million from Chelsea later on in the window.

If Dea Gea wants to leave then we have to rinse Madrid, they need to pay Coutinho kind of money if they want to prise away United best player. Anything less then £130 million should be turned down.
I doubt the credibility of such reports as I don't see Real losing out on 15 million pounds just because it's a club which has caused them problems in the past. Nonetheless, we should demand a high fee for de Gea, no questions asked.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This summer is not going to be fun especially as he'll be away with Spain

Kapardin

I have a feeling De Gea will be reluctant to go. The last time they were in for him, LvG was in-charge and the club, although seemingly moving in the correct direction, was kind-a sorta-a standing still. He was unsure, like everyone else around the club, of what might transpire. The contract signing was, I think, a cover for the club to sell him the next year, but we won the Cup and Mou came in, and so DDG stayed.

Now, I think he genuinely loves being a part of this United team. I don't see him leaving, although I'm not ruling that out 100%, but my gut says he'll be more than just happy to stay. He has the chance to go down as our greater EVER goalkeeper, and that definitely will be something for any professional footballer.
'Course he wants to go. This time, it seems likelier.

Look, he is a world class shot-stopper, but that's it, so I am not too bothered. We can surely get a GK who's a good shot-stopper (if not as great as De Gea), but also does more than what he does, in distribution, coming out for the ball, etc. It isn't hard to find such a GK and if we have a good defense, we will be less reliant on stunning saves.

Trust Jose, he's always able to get a replacement in. Will be hilarious if we hijack Alisson from Liverpool, assuming they are in for him. Plus, we could provide him the stage to oust Ederson from the Brazilian starting XI, which is a bonus.

The No.10!

Look, he is a world class shot-stopper, but that's it, so I am not too bothered. We can surely get a GK who's a good shot-stopper (if not as great as De Gea), but also does more than what he does, in distribution, coming out for the ball, etc. It isn't hard to find such a GK and if we have a good defense, we will be less reliant on stunning saves.

Trust Jose, he's always able to get a replacement in. Will be hilarious if we hijack Alisson from Liverpool, assuming they are in for him. Plus, we could provide him the stage to oust Ederson from the Brazilian starting XI, which is a bonus.
Naah, I don't see it that way. Good/great goalkeepers are a rarity these days, as is clear from the struggles of Pool and City. Also, the reason for the same is listed in your reply itself. Just 'cause Neuer and Ter Stegen are good on the ball along with their hands, that doesn't mean that every keeper has to be that way. Too much emphasis is put on those extra abilities these days, which undermines the crucial aspect of being a GK - saving goals.

Now, I know DDG isn't good with his feet in coming out with the ball and all, but his distribution is good, if not excellent. These things he can improve on, but to say it won't be hard to find a shot-stopper as good as him is untrue.

GBBQ

I really hope these stories in the press are just plants to encourage United to break the bank during contract talks. But as I said last year, we're less and less reliant on him which means its not quite the crisis it was a few years back. So if he does go, we'll get a world record fee and probably go after someone like Oblak or Donnarumma.

soapythecat

Look, he is a world class shot-stopper, but that's it
, so I am not too bothered. We can surely get a GK who's a good shot-stopper (if not as great as De Gea), but also does more than what he does, in distribution, coming out for the ball, etc. It isn't hard to find such a GK and if we have a good defense, we will be less reliant on stunning saves.

FML

Abdullah7

I don't think we'd discuss such a thing in the middle of the season. Ed without any experience made them look like fools 2 years ago. Woodward is a different animal now and seems to be a fast learner.

I'm very impressed with him and I think he will find a way to make Big Dave sign on a new contract. Patience, people, these Spaniard outlets blowing smoke to advert the peruser their having right now from seemingly a disastrous season for la blancos. Neymar, De Gea .. who's next? Hazard? propaganda at it's finest form.

Last edited:

Nickosaur

Well, if we can get absolute top dollar out of Real, and if his head has been turned, then this may well be the summer he goes.

I don't want him to go, but if he does, we should pay whatever Atletico want for Oblak.

gorky_utd

Is ddg a rescue worker? After saving us on numerous occasions just when madrid looking likely towards a downfall there is talk of him moving there.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Benzema is having a nightmare season, Ronaldo has only got 6 league goals this season, Bale is always injured and Modric isn’t controlling games anymore so Real are in desperate need of reinforcements in midfield and attack.

I think they probably really regret selling Morata and loaning out James til the end of his contract as it’s left them short in terms of quality back up options. They’re linked with Neymar, M’Bappe, Hazard, Kane, Icardi, Lewandowski and Dybala and will want at least two of them which will cost them £300+ million in today’s market.

De Gea will cost Real £100 million as he’s in reality got two years of his contract so unless Real have £500 million to spend this summer they can’t buy De Gea plus all the forwards and midfielders needed to close the huge gap to Barca and even now Atletico, with Barca spending £140 on Coutinho and most likely £90 million on Griezmann I’m not seeing how Real would prioritise a keeper over attack/midfield when they’re struggling and Barca are only getting stronger.

If anything it could be De Gea’s agent (Mendes ?) pushing things out to the media about supposed interest from Real again to push United to put De Gea on the same wages as Pogba and Sanchez (£300K a week) which personally I think we should, he’s been our only consistent world class player for years and is now approaching his prime years.
Good post, I agree with this.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

De Gea is the best keeper in the world, why would you not be bothered in selling him? Forget Neuer, if he was here the last couple years we would have finished lower than we did. The amount of times De Gea saved the team from losses and draws is ridiculous.

Also this rushing out stuff if way overrated, Ederson and Neuer etc have made quite a few errors from it. Besides, that isn’t the type of gk that fits to Mourinho’s style and he no doubt would prefer a great shot stopper.

Last edited:

Kapardin

De Gea is the best keeper in the world, why would you not be bothered in selling him? Forget Neuer, if he was here the last couple years we would never finished lower than we did. The amount of times De Gea saved the team from losses and draws is ridiculous.

Also this rushing out stuff if way overrated, Ederson and Neuer etc have made quite a few errors from it. Besides, that isn’t the type of gk that fits to Mourinho’s style and he no doubt would prefer a great shot stopper.
Who said anything about actively trying to sell him? Of course we should try to keep him. But if his head isn't here (which seems clear by him stalling on the contract again), then there's nothing we can do about it and so, I was suggesting alternatives.

Will be hilarious if Real are in the Europa when he joins them while we are in the CL though.

Just like Ederson and Neuer, De Gea has also made errors. No GK is on god-mode throughout their careers. If we get a GK who is Ederson-level in place of De Gea while ensuring our midfield and defense are strong, we won't have many problems.

Thecarrickfan_2016

Real Madrid can feck off after the last time they messed De Gea about, I think he's happy at United, He's the best goalkeeper in the world personally, I hope we get him to sign a long-term contract soon.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
€100m is far too low IMO. Losing DDG when we're finally starting to build a team that can win league will set us back, not ideal.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

I don't agree with any of that I must say.

Donut

Name them. Name all these ten a penny goalkeepers who've saved their club's bacon through individual performances over the course of 3 or 4 years who we could just go out and get?
He's not being serious. There is nobody close to DDG right now. We should do everything we can to keep him.

If we can't, we need to spend big and not try to be shrewd like Liverpool. Oblak is the only viable canditate I can think of and even he is a level or two below DDG.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don’t mind making him our highest paid player in the squad (300k+). He is genuinely worldclass, easily the best keeper in the world, and our best performer over past few years. With that kind of offer and with our current situation which look very promising, I don’t think he will want to move elsewhere.

TsuWave

Trust Jose, he's always able to get a replacement in.
this is just so wrong dude

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
£100m is probably the most we can get for him, he's a goalkeeper and they never cost that much.

If he wants to go there then we will eventually let him, like we did with Ronaldo. I think right now losing him would not be as much of a problem as it would have been at any point during the last 3 years, as much as I like and rate him.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty

Sorry but this is like some Barcelona fan crying that Messi can be replaced. No Messi can't be replaced, same with DDG.
Yes he is that good.

utdman

50 mil plus Kroos and Keylor Navas (as back up) will do, if he really wants to leave. Because I think Romero won't stay here next season as he won't be the first choice. He simply isn't good enough for that.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
£100m is probably the most we can get for him, he's a goalkeeper and they never cost that much.

If he wants to go there then we will eventually let him, like we did with Ronaldo. I think right now losing him would not be as much of a problem as it would have been at any point during the last 3 years, as much as I like and rate him.
It'll never go that high with only a year left on his current deal. Of course, all depends on how much of a fuss De Gea kicks up

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC

ChaddyP

If he really wants to go... Then sell him for the 80 million pounds annual get in Donnarumma

vangagal

He had his chance last season but for whatever reason Madrid not made a move. Now, it start all over again, really? Now we expect to honour his demand to move again? Thats what i dont get about Madrid. They had their chances for almost 5 years now to make this transfers happen but nothing happen(fax machine saga would not happen if Perez don't made deal faster instead waiting untill deadline day). They expect United to fall into their lapse and give them everyone they want?
Its infuriating like Ronaldo's story. Even if De Gea signs new deal, expect Marca run this story again next year. De Gea is nothing sort of model professional, he just get on with his job brilliantly but for once i hope he said no to Madrid and put this story to an end. Not gonna happen of course because he seems has little wish to go back to Madrid.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
People take for granted that he will leave. But he could have left already but stayed.

He has often spoken about his love for the club, the fans, the coaches, and never seemed unsettled. I think he'll sign a new contract and stay.

crossy1686

career ending
If De Gea does want to return to Spain and wants the move to Madrid then we need to absolutely rinse them. They should be spending a years worth of transfer budget (and then some) on signing the best goal keeper in the world. Whatever the fee, it needs to be the highest paid for a goalkeeper ever.

Then while they've got their pants down, we can mop up some of the best talent in Europe and they'll have to watch us do it. Unless of course they have a fire sale.

Oldyella

Name them. Name all these ten a penny goalkeepers who've saved their club's bacon through individual performances over the course of 3 or 4 years who we could just go out and get?
Obviously not being serious there. At least I thought obvious.

Nori-

I don't think there's any doubt Madrid are going to go hard in the transfer market this summer. An ageing squad who are under performing and need new blood.

Some how they always seem to get top money for their second team players. If they were to sell say Bale, Ronaldo, Benzema and a few more, they could easily generate 200m + any extra money they've allocated for transfers.

My fear is we will indirectly contribute to De Gea leaving. If rumors are true and we go for either Bale or Ronaldo, that money could be used to finance a deal for DDG.

Mourinho knows the inner workings of Madrid having managed them for a few years and hopefully he avoids buying their rejects like the plague

Nori-

I suspect I was right. Mourinho quoted below;

José Mourinho: “I would say Cristiano is the kind of player that everyone wants, but only one manager can have and only one club can have – Zidane and Real Madrid. That’s my feeling.“ (Source: @ManUtd)

Given half a chance Jose would sign a Ronaldo whose going through a major decline and give Madrid extra financial power to pursue DDG :(

Pacificgi

People take for granted that he will leave. But he could have left already but stayed.

He has often spoken about his love for the club, the fans, the coaches, and never seemed unsettled. I think he'll sign a new contract and stay.
His mrs lives in madrid though? As much as he loves it here thats got to take its toll

Id take £120million for him. If he asks to go then id let him go for 90 mil. Hes earned the right to do what he wants

Status
Not open for further replies.