De Gea | Signs for Fiorentina

Dyche would do well to sell Pickford for a fortune after a huge Euros and pick him up for free. He’d be perfect for how they most often play.
Aside from the poor shot stopping stats and not commanding his box…

I mean, I fully understand if he's disappointed about the manner how he was let go, I would agree that the way it was handled was not handled well. He deserved better.

But if he really thinks that he was still performing well enough to justify not being replaced, and that he should be brought back, then he's delusional.

Same as others here. Was pretty undignified how the club handled it and it left a sour taste, but Dave needed moving on. And he was earning a ridiculous amount that was completley unjustified. That he's not found a club should be a hint to him.

David De Gea needed to be moved on. But we agreed a deal and then pulled it. You can argue with their the initial decision to re-sign him, but you cant argue with the way they dealt with it. That was a disgrace to treat anyone like that, let alone someone who'd been here for 10 years. He was shit on my the people in charge at the time.

Not sure why he can't find a club. He is not done. Maybe he just wants high wages, which no one wants to give.

I’ve been thinking for a while that DDG has been acting like a deluded ex-boyfriend convinced that their former lover will take him back as soon as they come to their senses. This comment makes me think that even more. He really needs to get over it and move on with his life.

I mean, I fully understand if he's disappointed about the manner how he was let go, I would agree that the way it was handled was not handled well. He deserved better.

But if he really thinks that he was still performing well enough to justify not being replaced, and that he should be brought back, then he's delusional.

A delusion pretty typical of professional footballers.

Because, unsurprisingly, responding to setbacks by thinking "my critics are wrong, I'm still an excellent footballer, I can still play at the highest level," is a hell of a lot more useful to them than thinking "my critics are right, they were right to let me go, I'll never reach that level again". Self-belief is useful, often more so that realism.

Also, that "delusion" can only have been reinforced by him finishing the season with the most clean sheets, and his teammates voting him their POTS just the season before that. We can downplay the value of these things, but if you're David De Gea that's fairly reasonable fuel for thinking "actually, I haven't been that bad recently and didn't need to be let go"

How different and trophy laden would his career be if the fax machine had worked. Such a sad ending to his career.

So that's why he never took another job. He was waiting for ETH to get sacked so he could swoop in in a player/manager capacity.

I’ve been thinking for a while that DDG has been acting like a deluded ex-boyfriend convinced that their former lover will take him back as soon as they come to their senses. This comment makes me think that even more. He really needs to get over it and move on with his life.
It's not a direct quote from him.

A delusion pretty typical of professional footballers.

Because, unsurprisingly, responding to setbacks by thinking "my critics are wrong, I'm still an excellent footballer, I can still play at the highest level," is a hell of a lot more useful to them than thinking "my critics are right, they were right to let me go, I'll never reach that level again". Self-belief is useful, often more so that realism.

Also, that "delusion" can only have been reinforced by him finishing the season with the most clean sheets, and his teammates voting him their POTS just the season before that. We can downplay the value of these things, but if you're David De Gea that's fairly reasonable fuel for thinking "actually, I haven't been that bad recently and didn't need to be let go"
I'd very much argue the opposite. Most top athletes, footballers and otherwise, have a hunger to constantly improve themselves. They don't make it to that level without that. They know they're damn good, sure, and when in a slump they believe in themselves to be able to get back to form. But they're also normally acutely aware when they are not performing to what they can do, and strive to rectify it. They usually don't sit there, tell themselves that their performance stats are lying, that their employer was wrong to let them go, that the world is wrong and unfair and they are still as good as they were in their heyday. That there is nothing to fix, nothing to improve.

Oh sure, it does happen. But I sure don't agree with you that it is typical, not at the top level.

Jesus what a sad deluded character De Gea is. Look at how Keane left, look at how Stam left and others.
Feck around with the manager, not performing and OUT. That’s what we want from the club, no fecking around, out.
If Rashford doesn’t show a BIG improvement both in play and attitude then he can bloody well go this season as well same for Sancho.
I’m fed up to the back teeth of players taking the pee and complaining how hard done they are by blaming the manager.

Nope.

How the departure was handled was abysmal and he has every right to be miffed but thinking he would be welcomed back after a year of literally doing nothing is sheer delusion.
Agreed, I still think it was quite classless from a club of our stature

I remember when being desperate to play for Man United above any other club was considered a good thing. Now it’s just an excuse to pile on a player for being delusional.

I love David De Gea but unfortunately the game moved on... you need a keeper who can play out with his feet and essentially be that extra outfield player in the build up. He was brilliant but just from a different era of goalkeeper that isn't as well suited to the modern game and how the best teams aspire to play. I wish him the best and hopefully he finds a club where he can play and be happy. He does still have something to offer.

Perhaps there was a moment with Onana making lots of mistakes that De Gea could've come back for a bit if it continued or maybe a quick stop gap under a new regime if say the last third of the season was a dumpster fire with ETH and others gone. Any chance has now gone with Ineos now calmly taking over for the long term approach.

I remember when being desperate to play for Man United above any other club was considered a good thing. Now it’s just an excuse to pile on a player for being delusional.

Normally for a player who wants to come here then yes its a good thing. Anthony effectivley going on strike to force a move here was a positive to begin with.Never mind he turned out to be crap the point stands in that case I agree its a good thing.

But in specifically De Gea's case I dont think he is desperate to play for us at all and just wants to return to where hes most comfortable even for a reduced wage thats probably still higher than most other keepers. If he was serious about his career at this point he wouldnt have taken a season off.

Only way I can ever see him coming back is if we have a massive goalkeeping crisis and and are left short and even then who would take a risk on a keeper who hasnt played in over a year and was deemed not good enough for what we needed.

It was the right decision not to renew his contract and let him move on, needless to say Murtough found a way to handle a simple situation as badly as possible.

David De Gea needed to be moved on. But we agreed a deal and then pulled it. You can argue with their the initial decision to re-sign him, but you cant argue with the way they dealt with it. That was a disgrace to treat anyone like that, let alone someone who'd been here for 10 years. He was shit on my the people in charge at the time.
It has to be remembered that we offered him that deal many months before he tried to sign it. It's not the clubs fault that he waited until the last week of the season, obviously trying to either force the club to increase the offer or get a better offer elsewhere, and instead it backfired on him. During that time the club was always going to be looking at other options (it would have been incompetence of the highest order not to), and his poor form at the end of the season combined with his incompatibility with what top teams want in their goalkeepers these days meant that the club (mostly ETH I presume) changed their mind. Until such time that both sides sign a contract, we were well within our rights to do so. That's the risk De Gea took when he didn't sign the contract much earlier when we first offered it to him.

As a deluded ex-boyfriend waiting for my ex to realise she can't find anyone like me again, that hit right in the feels :lol:

How different and trophy laden would his career be if the fax machine had worked. Such a sad ending to his career.
Considering how quickly Spain binned him, I think Real would've been far more ruthless.

They have no time for timid passive players. If anything, the reason DDG is such a well known name is because of Woody and Co. keeping him around for so long.

Considering how quickly Spain binned him, I think Real would've been far more ruthless.

They have no time for timid passive players. If anything, the reason DDG is such a well known name is because of Woody and Co. keeping him around for so long.
He's such a well known name because in the early to mid 2010s he was world class

I'm not sure I agree with some of the comments about how badly De Gea was 'treated'. The situation wasn't ideal but that was largely of his own doing...

Around half way through the season, Ten Hag thought we should prioritise strengthening other positions in the upcoming transfer window, so he gave his blessing for the club to give De Gea a new deal. The club offered De Gea a new contract but (crucially) nothing was signed. De Gea then kept dropping clanger after clanger and Ten Hag came to the realisation that he needed replacing, so the club pulled the deal.

What was the 'nice' alternative? Proceed to give De Gea an expensive new contract despite his performances not warranting it?

He deseved a send off from the fans but sometimes circumstances don't allow for that - just look at Beckham. I'd imagine he was offered a testimonial but was too sulky to agree to it.

He was offered a deal. He could've stayed as second choice and fought for his place. It was a bit shitty the way it was dealt with, but he was clearly not thought of as first choice material.

That he hasn't taken another deal elsewhere speaks volumes really. Shame how it turned out.

I'm not sure I agree with some of the comments about how badly De Gea was 'treated'. The situation wasn't ideal but that was largely of his own doing...

Around half way through the season, Ten Hag thought we should prioritise strengthening other positions in the upcoming transfer window, so he gave his blessing for the club to give De Gea a new deal. The club offered De Gea a new contract but (crucially) nothing was signed. De Gea then kept dropping clanger after clanger and Ten Hag came to the realisation that he needed replacing, so the club pulled the deal.

What was the 'nice' alternative? Proceed to give De Gea an expensive new contract despite his performances not warranting it?

He deseved a send off from the fans but sometimes circumstances don't allow for that - just look at Beckham. I'd imagine he was offered a testimonial but was too sulky to agree to it.

The "nice" alternative was understanding that De Gea was an issue, understanding that the end of his contract was the natural point for him to leave, not offering him a new contract, and letting him leave on a free in much the same way we just did with Varane. No hassle, no drama, the team comes first, but you handle things respectfully.

As opposed to wrongly deciding that replacing him was so low down on the priority list that he should actually be given a brand new contract, only to then change their mind a few months later off the back of some poor form that shouldn't have told them anything about De Gea they didn't already know.

The "nice" alternative was understanding that De Gea was an issue, understanding that the end of his contract was the natural point for him to leave, and letting him leave at the end of that contract in much the same way we just let Varane go. He gets a nice send off, he also gets months' notice to plan his next move, we get a new goalkeeper, nobody can complain.

As opposed to wrongly deciding that replacing him was so low down on the priority list that he should be given a brand new contract, only to then change their mind just a few months later off the back of some poor form that shouldn't have told them anything about De Gea they didn't already know.
I agree the club should've come to that realisation sooner than they did. I was saying he needed replacing back in 2022. But alas, this is the same regime that thought it was the correct decision to pay 80m for Antony, so it's fair to say that they weren't exactly on-the-ball. It's hardly surprising that they didn't notice De Gea's decline sooner. Then the Sevilla, West Ham and Man City games happened, and at that point, any idiot on the planet could recognise that keeping De Gea was a bad idea.

He stayed at the top and only dropped of during his last couple of seasons for us.

Yes he agreed a contract with himself, and then whipped it off the table before he could sign it on his way own. :rolleyes:
And in next weeks ‘Caf tales that never happened’ we hear about JLingz imaginary friend.

Maybe if he hadn’t been so shite that contract wouldn’t have been whipped off the table.

I still remember his legions of fans on here telling anyone that would listen that he’d be snapped up on a free and we would regret not keeping him. Over a year later and he’s still a free agent. Says it all really. He was done at the top level years ago and (as usual) the club was slow to react to it. As others have said, he wouldn’t have lasted half as long at Madrid turning in the kind of performances he did for us over his last few seasons.

Rather than whinging about how he was ‘treated’ he should be thankful he was allowed to stay for as long as he was.

Sorry for a naive question but… is it really that hard to learn how to kick a balla at the age of 30? Given he was souranded with top coaches I think he could have worked on that element of the game
He didn’t exactly excel at doing the basics of goalkeeping like coming out for crosses and commanding his penalty area, Christ he couldn’t even command his six yard box.
Trying to get him to pass the ball out and actually control it with his feet would really have been a step to far.