De Gea | Signs for Fiorentina

Is there any evidence of this?

No evidence but they have been offering higher wages than that to Keepers of lesser renown and arguably lesser ability. He is on a free and brings name recognition and a bunch of winners medals to the table. If he asked his agent to find him a club in Saudi I would imagine there would be interest and the money would be good but as others have alluded to, I don't think he would take a job just for money.

Well I do disagree, because I don't see what evidence there is that 6 months at a club would get a top club likely to win things interested in him, given that he has been available on a free for over 18 months (and for the first 6 of those months was playing consistent football week in, week out) and only Nottingham Forest have been credited with any serious interest.
And there was a time Van Der Sar went to Fulham

I think if he gets playing again, a big club would go in for him. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I think.

People actually wanted to bring him back. In his last few years, he was easily among the worst gk.

I think if he gets playing again, a big club would go in for him. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I think.
Each to their own but I don't think Van Der Sar is comparable given that it was a major shock he signed for Fulham and he was the the second most expensive PL goalkeeper at the time of signing for them (and I think remained so for a good 5 or 6 years after the transfer), so it was deemed a big money transfer. He also relied upon very different attributes to De Gea and was always likely to age better because of that. We'll see though.

He'll never be a Van Der Sar. He was always too weak aerially and a massive wimp when it came to any kind of physicality. He doesn't have the right skillset to age gracefully, so now his reflexes have declined he's a nothing keeper really.

His problem since leaving is that he fits no style of football anymore. A team that sits deep and needs a keeper to martial his box? Not De Gea. A keeper who'll play on the edge of the sixteen box and sweep? Not De Gea. It's hard to see where he fits in anywhere stylistically since his shot stopping ability started failing him.

This just isn't true. No club expecting to win things wants a goalkeeper that can't (and doesn't) leave his line for balls either aerially or on the ground. They don't want a goalkeeper who panics with the ball at his feet and hoofs the ball into the sky rather than retaining possession with a pass to a defender. He was quite literally one of the worst goalkeepers in the league for a period of several seasons at each of those qualities, through eye test backed up by the stats, followed by a season of not playing, where the only serious interest came from Nottingham Forest. Sure, he still made some incredible reflex saves over the past three or four seasons, but half the time they came from situations he had either directly given the ball away or refused to come and deal with a simple cross into the box or ball behind the defenders, so were saves that 90% of goalkeepers don't need to make anyway. He made real progress on working on his weaker areas under LVG, but as soon as the club allowed him to bring in his own coach that work stopped overnight; and then came the messages from Hoek about him being unhappy having to train 80:20 with the team, which cannot read well for any potential employers given how football is nowadays. He's just nowhere near as good as he, or the majority of this forum, thinks he is.
Brilliant post.

I don't think De Gea is the worst keeper in the league at any point but he's certainly not good enough to make it at a top club, like Kepa. His business investment returns may be profitable enough such that he can retire early.... Who knows.

Probably doesn’t have the motivation to take his family through moving.
Doubt this is about money.
Will always love Big Dave.

Retirement is his best option for himself and family. If he has any financial acumen whatsoever he's already incredibly wealthy, can send his children to the finest schools, drink the finest wine and make love to his wife every night.

:lol:

I’d actually seen you in the coffee related thread a while ago and thought there is no wonder you hate coffee when you can’t control your bowels :lol:
I had my gallbladder out a couple of years ago. If I eat fatty food first thing (fry up, maccies, etc) I almost immediately need a liquid shit.

I’ve nearly shit myself in the car loads of times due to that.

Well I do disagree, because I don't see what evidence there is that 6 months at a club would get a top club likely to win things interested in him, given that he has been available on a free for over 18 months (and for the first 6 of those months was playing consistent football week in, week out) and only Nottingham Forest have been credited with any serious interest.

Bloody weird posting football training videos on Instagram to remind clubs he's still alive if he doesn't want to keep playing.
So you don't know. You seem to confuse opinion with fact fairly regularly.

He's turned down Saudi clubs already last year so that's also factually incorrect

If I was a multi millionaire, with a multi millionaire Pop star wife and a young kid, I'd probably sit at home all day as well.
Sitting at home all day spending it all as leisure time is not good for the body nor the mind. If I were him I would definitely try to get back in the game as long as my body would allow it.

I'm surprised he's not turned up in Pique's futsal thing yet.

So you don't know. You seem to confuse opinion with fact fairly regularly.

He's turned down Saudi clubs already last year so that's also factually incorrect
I thought we were discussing proper football, rather than 11 a side Masters Football. If we’re including alleged offers from Saudi Arabian clubs we may as well include Altrincham as no doubt they will have jokingly expressed an interest when he used their ground for his training videos. Either way, IIRC the most credible journalist for the Saudi offer was Jamie Jackson which is hardly gospel.

You literally don't know why he's not signed and making up stuff. We have no clue if something's happened to someone in his life and he's valuing that over football.

Making up stuff what? That he has poor mentality as a football player? If you are a club's CEO, do you really want to sign a player who has been in hybernation mode for more than a year?

I support him as a Man Utd player. I'm not his brother. I hope nothing bad happened to him, but I really disappointed that one of our longest servant, once a candidate for captaincy, seems in healthy condition and regularly showing his training session, throw away his career like that.

If money is the problem, then good riddance.

Van Der Sar was 30 when he joined Fulham, impressed so much that Man United signed him and played until he was 40 and his last game the Champions league final. DeGea on the other hand seem to peak in 2018 aged just 27 which is rare enough for goal keeper and now considering retirement aged 33?

If I was him I think I'd want to play for a club, I think he'd actually have a lot of fun sort of showing off for a smaller team that faces a lot of shots.

I'm not him though and he is a multi, multi, multi millionaire and if he thinks he will enjoy his life more retiring and doing whatever he wants with his family then god speed.

I still have a lot of affection for him, he had some brilliant years here and I got a lot of joy at times from him becoming a human wall when we were under the kosh and oppo fans crying about how unfair it was.

Hope whatever he does makes him happy and he stays in good relations with the club.

Genuinely quite sad he hasn't been picked up by someone. I know he needed replacing but I loved DDG. He's probably the only player I specifically wanted United to sign before actually being linked to him. The lack of silverware during his time leaves him criminally underrated by some. The game has probably progressed versus what he offered but there were a couple of seasons where he looked unbeatable, moreso than any keeper I can remember.

Goes to show that utd were a joke under the glazers Woodward regime. We held onto assets that weren't desired by other clubs,we kept renewing contracts to protect value and in reality there was no need,plenty of proof when you see the likes of Jesse and ddg after finally leaving. And wouldn't shock me if martial is another fine example.

Refle
I used to support him, even in the last few years when he wasn't performing well. But his decision to be unemployed after we released him for free reflects his poor mentality. Even if he is willing to lower his wages now, I don't think no club wants to sign a player who has been on hiatus for a year.
Reflects with most of our players who were or are on insane wages that they don't deserve and spoil the squad morale …Rashford for example sulking last season, Pogba, Lukaku, Sancho, Antony…list goes on..

With DeGea…he came at a young age and did brilliantly for us…saved us many a times..but as the modern game evolved..he wasn't the answer …..he was never a goalkeeper that deserved a 350k quid every week with his hesitation to claim crosses, ball playing or coming of his line. I doubt what a Van Der Sar or Schmeichel would get these wages at their prime excluding inflation

I hope times have changed with INEOS coming in and we cope up with the damage done for 10 years and be sensible in future dealings and contract negotiation's.

Sitting at home all day spending it all as leisure time is not good for the body nor the mind. If I were him I would definitely try to get back in the game as long as my body would allow it.

How on earth do you know he's sitting at home all day? Leisure time is time well spent if he's enjoying it, and could be pursuing other hobbies.

I know it says absolutely nothing but seemingly something is going to happen...

Awful pity he's so been stubborn about things he's plenty to give to football to a certain extent. None of the top European teams were ever going to sign him last year or going forward.

VDS was a solid all-round keeper that didn't have any real weaknesses. DDG is a decent shot-stopper (once elite but that was six years ago) who is weak at basically every other aspect of goalkeeping. There's no chance any 'big' club will be interested unless he is willing to come in as a back-up keeper (which includes back-up wages) and barely play.

I’m stunned he’s still a free agent. I know he didn’t exactly finishing up on good form but I really thought some reputable club would offer him even a 1 year deal somewhere.!

He became a below average keeper but easily PL standard. If he lowers his expectations and signs for 50-60k p/w he'll easily have a job at one of the PL clubs, so not sure what's going on. Surely that's better than holding on to hype from 5-6 years (or 10?) years ago.

I’m stunned he’s still a free agent. I know he didn’t exactly finishing up on good form but I really thought some reputable club would offer him even a 1 year deal somewhere.!
It's not going to be about reputable, rather, who is going to entertain his wages. As far as I'm aware, he's not prepared to drop his demands and that's why no one will go near him. He's prepared to sit out rather than play for less than he believes he's worth.

He'll either have to go to a league he doesn't want (Saudi) or lower his demands. If he does neither of these things, he's effectively retired whether he realises it or not.

It’s last season that really puzzles me. Spain just won the Euros with a goalkeeper DDG could have overtaken if he had shined for a decent Spanish side. Should have taken one year on cheaper terms and then retired now after the Euros.

Some athletes don’t even like the sport they participate in, they just do it because they are great at it and it’s a good source of income. Once they have an opportunity to finish and live a sustainable life afterwards, they might jump at that chance. We just presume they want to carry on, but it’s like any other profession, you don’t necessarily have to be in love with it to be good at it.
After like 20 years of high rush life, the man probably got too comfortable at home. He must have decided it will take a lot of money to start doing the same once again. With that kinda money he have, i can totally see it.

Probably wants to spend time with the family. Can easily find a club even if he‘s been out for two years, still 33 years young as well.

It’s last season that really puzzles me. Spain just won the Euros with a goalkeeper DDG could have overtaken if he had shined for a decent Spanish side. Should have taken one year on cheaper terms and then retired now after the Euros.
I just think the Spanish learned quite early on that he simply wasn't as good or reliable as the other options they had. That was never going to change. Once the trust is gone it's gone for a player.

It's not a surprise he’s still free really. He hasn't performed at a peak level for 5 years. If you're a midtable club, especially outside the Prem, why go for DDG at £150kpw+ when you can get a solid enough keeper in their mid 20s for £50kpw, with the chance you might sell them for a profit down the line? He isn't even the kind of vocal leader that a young defence might benefit from.

I mean some in here are acting like he’s not a good goalkeeper now and that is ridiculous. Even at his worst, he’s better than 90% of keepers out there. In his final season he made like 3 clangers and that was a lot for a team like Utd where the stakes are so high but any mid to lower team would be absolutely overjoyed to get a shot stopper as good as him. We know that when teams pelted shots on our goal he was at his absolute best, making saves that not many goalkeepers could make.

I like Onana but De Gea is and will always be a better goalkeeper. The only reason nobody is touching him is because he wants £350,000 a week.