Day 16: Brazil vs. Chile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of you hopes you lose because another poster voiced his opinion that the host nation, more often than not, received preferential treatment? Seriously?
I don't mean to wind him up, I was just stating a well-established fact.
Edit: He probably thinks I'm trying to wind him up.

Whatever.. I think people focus too much on refereeing... Last year in finals, i read a bunch of complaints from Spaniards because we committed too many fouls without yellowcards. Thats just a bit less ridiculous than complaining about illegal throw ins or w/e...

My point is, if Spain tried learning from that defeat (they can't press that well in high temperature, teams have adapted to high lines since 2012) instead of ref moaning, maybe they change their suicidal style and don't go 1-7 against the chile and holland

I'm willing to bet refs wont dictate crap, lets not cry over something that hasnt even happenef

I would love a Chile win, but every side I genuinely root for always lose in the most excruciating way possible, so a scrappy Brazil win for me. Lots of fouls, lots of through balls that agonizingly miss the attacker, shocking decisions to help Brazil... Ahh feck it, just want to see some full-blooded action!

What's with the bizarre hatred for Brazil on this forum? I've seen worse decisions given for other teams since that "penalty" in the Croatia game but no cries of conspiracy towards the teams that benefited from refereeing errors.

It's getting a bit childish and irritating now to be honest.

I'll be a big Chile fan and I think they're capable of beating Brasil.
I just want that boring Brasil team out ASAP.
OTT a tad? How are they even boring? They scored 3 past Croatia, 4 past Cameroon and would have scored a few against Mexico if not for their goalkeeper. I think you have mistaken Brazil for Belgium.

OTT a tad? How are they even boring? They scored 3 past Croatia, 4 past Cameroon and would have scored a few against Mexico if not for their goalkeeper. I think you have mistaken Brazil for Belgium.

Against Croatia they scored from a penalty that wasnt, and one goal after their foul that wasnt given, against Mexico they had their chances but 2 or 3 of them went straight at the keeper, and 4 against Cameroon? Croatia put 4 against them and went out.
They're boring, their style of play is boring, that's my opinion anyway.

What's with the bizarre hatred for Brazil on this forum? I've seen worse decisions given for other teams since that "penalty" in the Croatia game but no cries of conspiracy towards the teams that benefited from refereeing errors.

Because Brazil is FIFA's darling and the overwhelming favorite to win the World Cup and neutrals always love to hate on the favorite just like how everyone seems to hate on Barcelona during their peak and were rejoicing when they declined, complaining how boring tiki-taka is. If the World Cup was held in Argentina, everyone would probably hate on Argentina too. Just ignore them.

Arrrgh i hate it! i hate this feeling... i hate the faith. First time we have the players, the manager, the mentality and the quality to go to the late stages in a WC since 1962, and again we have to face our nemesis in 16th's... and i truly hate the fact that i know we CAN beat them this time, but the odds are always against us, and the rational part of me knows theres always the possibility to get punished by Brazil like the tradition and history dictates, some ridiculous score like 5-1 6-1 or the like is palpable.

But then we dream of it even if we don't want to... human nature of miracle wishing...

ah crap! Here's to re-writing of football history! Let's knock the host out! Let's knock no other than Brazil itself! *rises is south-of-chile german-inmigrant beer*

1. FIFA loves them
2. They win too much and are the greatest football nation on the planet
3. They are the hosts
4. For a number of years their reputation for "jogo bonito" has been somewhat undeserved.
5. We are all bitter and jealous cnuts

GO CHILE!!!!!

Last edited:
I expect that Chile will suffer against Brazil's physicality and counterattacks. Expect Chile to concede a goal from a set piece first then press furiously high up the pitch then get picked apart from Neymar running in behind. Chile are a brave team but ultimately lack the quality to do the upset.

I agree with all the folks who point out that this is not the best Brazil team ever and it is one of the best Chile teams ever. None of this matters. Its Brazil vs Chile at the World Cup and there is only one outcome (sadly).

Brazil so far hasn't "clicked". Potentially they are superior in almost every position, but if Chile are defensively organised enough to snuff out Neymar and maybe even take the lead, anything can happen. What plays into Chile's cards is the fact that Brazil will come at them, unlike the Netherlands.

brazil v chile, world cup head to head record

brazil 3
draw 1
chile 0

1962 brazil 4 - 2 chile
1998 brazil 4 - 1 chile
2004 brazil 1 - 1 chile
2010 brazil 3 - 0 chile

Last edited:
Brazil actually plays better against brave opponents. Historically, our nemesis are very negative sides like Italy in 82.
brazil v chile, head to head record

brazil 3
draw 1
chile 0

1962 brazil 4 - 2 chile
1998 brazil 4 - 1 chile
2004 brazil 1 - 1 chile
2010 brazil 3 - 0 chile

huh?

This will be really interessting.
Tomorrow will be the first time that south american teams play each other. In most games you could notice that they are a little bit more accustomed to the climate. They had more power than their european or asian opponents, especially the likes of chile and columbia. So, we will see if it's indeed due to the climate or if Chile and Columbia are just in really good shape and overpower Brazil and Uruguay as well.

I'm confident that Chile can win this. They have this impressive collective approach in which every player fights until the end. Their transition from defense to attack and the other way around is nearly flawless.
The Netherlands chose a very defensive approach, used Blind solely to guard Sanchez, thereby prevented Chile from playing their quick transition style and slowed the play down. Thats the kind of football that Chile is not well suited to deal with.
But I doubt Brazil will choose such an approach. They will try to dominate the game like always. So I predict a very open game with a better ending for Chile.

p.s. no Thread for Columbia - Uruguay yet ?

This is one of those games where everyone backs the underdog to the point the favourite almost becomes the underdog when really they are rightly the favourites.

3-1 Brazil.

I hope that Chile beats Brazil. This Brazil is by far the worst and most boring Brazil team I have ever see. Fred and Jo are their strikers, enough said.

this is oranje cafe. the more big teams that get dumped out, the better it is for holland.

lvg winning the world cup would be the best start to our season. top players will want to play for him, and he'll have the gravitas of walking into the dressing room in the first day of training, dropping his kecks and showing all the players what he brings to the club.

and if they don't like it, they can leave (i.e. rooney).

Referee will win this for Brazil , no matter what.

Last edited:
Im so anxious... WC is something else, as are Libertadores nights

3-2 Brazil, they will grind the result out I think, will be close though, expect a fair amount of goals too, neither side is great at the back.

Dante has his daft moments too.

Heart says Chile will go through by playing Brazil off the pitch, head says Brazil will play poorly but find a goal from somewhere and see the game out comfortably.

This is one of those games where everyone backs the underdog to the point the favourite almost becomes the underdog when really they are rightly the favourites.

3-1 Brazil.

Yes. I don't even think Chile have been better than Brazil so far. The victory against Spain was undoubtedly impressive and deserved, but that was an already mauled Spain. They lost against the Dutch and looked very shaky against the Oz in second half. That game could have easily finished 2-2.

Brazil had a poor start and had the ref to thank for the win against Croatia for sure. But their performance against Mexico was panned too much when it was Mexican keeper pulled off 2 WC saves and a couple of other very good ones.

Brazil's main concern would be their defense. Chile's isn't too good either and they struggle against a team which is more direct rather than someone like Spain who allow them to regroup and organize at the back. Whoever scores first IMO go on to win the game.

Referee will win this for Brazil , no matter what.

Webb will win the match for Brazil because he got the call that Vidal needs to be out of the tournament. Van Gaal and Woodward want to get this deal done by mid-week,

Status
Not open for further replies.