Day 16: Brazil vs. Chile

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: Well then I better hope you never praised a footballer for anything! Why don't you just relax a bit?

It's all relative buddy!

Ah now, you could use that example to downplay nearly every example of courage going.

If any of us were in his shoes there we'd be absolutely bricking it. It does take courage and nerve to step up like that.

How can you enjoy football (I assume you do) and then post something like that? Of course it's not trenches, but it's absolutely unimaginable pressure I reckon. Cynical way of looking at it.

Courage is the wrong word, but his ability to handle the pressure being put on him from an entire nation is remarkable.

I appreciate it took a lot of nerve. It definitely did. There's a lot of pressure on him and he handled it well. But it's not courage - it wasn't brave. He's kicking a football. Soldiers are courageous. Martin Luther King Jr was courageous. Neil Armstrong and the other astronauts who first walked on the moon simply trusting that the technology that got them there wouldn't leave them stranded or dead, were courageous. I was responding to this post in particular:

Can I just say again how much I admire Neymar's courage ... Well done Mr Neymar!

Choosing to single out Neymar, of all people, for being "courageous", despite the fact he spent a good portion of the match rolling round on the floor screaming... it makes me think the poster has no idea what real courage is.

I appreciate it took a lot of nerve. It definitely did. There's a lot of pressure on him and he handled it well. But it's not courage - it wasn't brave. He's kicking a football. Soldiers are courageous. Martin Luther King Jr was courageous. Neil Armstrong and the other astronauts who first walked on the moon simply trusting that the technology that got them there wouldn't leave them stranded or dead, were courageous. I was responding to this post in particular:

Choosing to single out Neymar, of all people, for being "courageous", despite the fact he spent a good portion of the match rolling round on the floor screaming... it makes me think the poster has no idea what real courage is.
:lol:

I think there is an unwritten rule for GK that you're allowed to come off your line a little bit, it would be too unnatural to stand directly on your line and make it far easier for the penalty takers. I agree it needs clearing up though.

I think that they are only allowed to move forward after the ball has been kicked. Clearly Cesar takes a few steps forward during the run-ups. In comparison, Bravo did a pretty good job of following the rule. You're right, it does make it way more awkward for the keeper when he stays on the line, but if the rule was actually enforced, or removed, then everyone would fall in line and get used to it either way. I don't care one way or another, but the same rule should apply to everyone.

Reactions: Eboue
Did anyone else think Neymar's penalty should have been retaken? It looked to me like he clearly stopped on the run up.

Yeah, I thought he slowed his stutter run-up enough to be considered "stopped". Retaken, no. Personally, I think that if a penalty taker stops his run-up, then it should count as a miss. He shouldn't get another chance because it's his own fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.