Day 12 | England v Slovenia + Denmark v Serbia | France v Poland + Netherlands v Austria

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
6pm (5pm Uk) kickoffs:
France v Poland
Netherlands v Austria

9pm (8pm UK) kickoffs
England v Slovenia
Denmark v Serbia

France, Netherlands, England have already qualified - they'll all go through either on table position or as one of the highest 3rd placed finishers.

RoyH1

6pm (5pm Uk) kickoffs:
France v Poland (France has too much speed up front for the Polish defense)
Netherlands v Austria -draw

9pm (8pm UK) kickoffs
England v Slovenia (a boring low scoring affair)
Denmark v Serbia - draw

I don't expect big surprises tonight but a lot of close, low scoring games.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
England to finally click tonight? With Gallagher in the starting lineup it might well be the case

Mike Smalling

After the results of the last few days, Denmark now only need a draw to be guaranteed to advance. Should still go for the win, but that’s a nice fallback.

Leg-End

Be nice if England decide to show up at the Euro's with very little pressure on tonight's game.

saivet

Hoping England get the win to top the group and put in a better performance. If we win the group, the draw looks okay but if we continue with our performances and Netherlands/Turkey/Austria in the R16 will be a potential banana skin.

I do understand the feeling that we don't need to peak to early but a solid, controlling 2-0 win would be ideal.

I wonder how Slovenia will approach the game. They are in a scenario where a 2-0 might be enough to see them through but banking on that seems a dangerous game. Equally, they won't won't to take too many risks in trying to go for a win or trying to pull a goal back (if 2-0 down for example).

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
You really want to finish first. I you can't do that going through as number 3 is probably better than going through as second. Weird position to be in.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Going 2-1 England.
Two quickfire goals in the 1st half and a relatively comfortable, pragmatic performance in the 2nd half with a late consolation goal for Slovenia that will give England a jittery last few minutes.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Think it'll be 2-0 England, fairly comfortable if unspectacular performance which will give Southgate all the proof he needs that Rice/Gallaghter/Bellingham is the way forward, and it'll obviously get unstuck in one of the knockouts (though England won't have to play a group topper until the semi's)

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Can you explain why?

Obviously to do with possible future games but I'm too lazy to look into it!
If we finish top we play a 3rd place team - then if we win that we'll play either of Italy or Switzerland - two second place teams.

If we finish 2nd its Germany straight away.

If it's 3rd, it's Portugal or whoever wins Group E (Belgium?) - with a decent chance of it being the Group E team I thnk.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Germany if we finish 2nd. Not sure who we get if 3rd.
If we finish top we play a 3rd place team - then if we win that we'll play either of Italy or Switzerland - two second place teams.

If we finish 2nd its Germany straight away.

If it's 3rd, it's Portugal or whoever wins Group E (Belgium?) - with a decent chance of it being the Group E team I thnk.
Thanks.

Oof, yeah. I want to play Germany in the final, not next.

TrailMonkey

A mate ran through some England Euro stats this morning (ranking out of 24 teams):

Touches in opposition box: 25 (24th)
xG: 1.4 (22nd)
Shots on target per match: 3.5 (17th)
Corners: 3 (24th)

Source: FotMob

There's also another stat showing we've punted more long balls than any other team.

Talk about setting up a team with the most attacking talent to negate their strengths and play complete anti-attacking football.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
A mate ran through some England Euro stats this morning (ranking out of 24 teams):

There's also another stat showing we've punted more long balls than any other team.

Talk about setting up a team with the most attacking talent to negate their strengths and play complete anti-attacking football.
Obviously not good stats and it should be better but game state plays a part. England have gone 1-0 up early in both games.

Adz_99

Anyone else think it's really stupid that hypothetically Poland and Ukraine could go out on 3 and 4 points but some teams could go through on 2 points?

If they're going to do a "best runners up" type format I feel like it would be fairer to include all teams and not just the teams that finished 3rd in their groups. It would make France V Poland a lot more interesting later

LA BOMBA

Supports
Atletico
I wonder how Slovenia will approach the game. They are in a scenario where a 2-0 might be enough to see them through but banking on that seems a dangerous game. Equally, they won't won't to take too many risks in trying to go for a win or trying to pull a goal back (if 2-0 down for example).
If the game goes to 2-0 for England both sides will just defend and it will be the most boring match ever from that point on.

I don't really see Southgate pushing for a 3-0 demolition and the Slovenian manager likes to park the bus as well like he did against Serbia after 1-0, which cost Slovenia the win.

LA BOMBA

Supports
Atletico
If they're going to do a "best runners up" type format I feel like it would be fairer to include all teams and not just the teams that finished 3rd in their groups. It would make France V Poland a lot more interesting later
We need a 32 team Euro and none of this would be an issue.

I don't understand what's the big deal about adding 8 more teams on the tourney.

Adz_99

I don't understand what's the big deal about adding 8 more teams on the tourney.
Yeah I think you're probably right.

There's the issue of diluting the quality but are the next 8 best really that much worse than Albania, Georgia, Scotland, England etc?

LA BOMBA

Supports
Atletico
Yeah I think you're probably right.

There's the issue of diluting the quality but are the next 8 best really that much worse than Albania, Georgia, Scotland, England etc?
They're not.

The mid-tier European national teams are basically interchangeable. The likes of Norway, Wales, Iceland, Ireland, Bosnia, Greece etc. could easily fill the next 8 spots and they have the potential to be a tough game for anybody. It's not like San Marino would suddenly qualify for Euro.

When it comes to mid-tier Euro countries, it all depends on their form. If they click they all have potential to do well and even advance deep in the tournament.

Even if some of the NTs turn out to be duds and get smashed 5-0, this happens on WC all the time as well and no one cares. I'd rather add some potentially bad teams than have this weird tournament format.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Can you explain why?

Obviously to do with possible future games but I'm too lazy to look into it!
If you come in second you will have to deal with Germany, Spain and Portugal. Finish first and you can only play those teams in the final. going through third I am not sure of the opposition but again not those three countries.

waza7111

Apparently England have been working on high pressing in training.

I'm not sure if you can learn that in a few days but let's see.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
We should either win or lose. So if we can't beat them, this tournaments top striker, Own Goal should help us out.

Adz_99

Apparently England have been working on high pressing in training.

I'm not sure if you can learn that in a few days but let's see.
Be like when we did it for 20 minutes under Rangnick and then went back to normal.

georgegroves

There is better stats on the athletic aswell if you click on the game.
Goals scored per game: 8th
Possession: 12th
Shots on goal per game: 17th
Field tilt: 49.8%: 16th

jem

I'll always support the Netherlands, but it's hard not to cheer for Austria. I've always liked Rangnick and I'm enjoying seeing him do well at this tournament.

RoyH1

I suppose there could be an argument made that you'd need ever bigger constellations of countries to host a 32 team tournament? Other than Germany, France and the UK I can't see any European country doing it alone in terms of modern stadia, public transport, tourism infrastructure? Maybe Italy but they have too many concrete old fashioned stadiums.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I suppose there could be an argument made that you'd need ever bigger constellations of countries to host a 32 team tournament? Other than Germany, France and the UK I can't see any European country doing it alone in terms of modern stadia, public transport, tourism infrastructure? Maybe Italy but they have too many concrete old fashioned stadiums.
just have it in the uk every time.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Exactly - the only country that guarantees entry to all for the final.
yep. and the rest of europe owes us the money our economy is losing because of brexit. allowing us to host every tournament would go some way to them repaying the damage they’ve caused us.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
Love England or Hate them

There's one thing that's agreeable

And that's the cool refreshing taste of Budweiser.

Budweiser - Drink Responsibly.