Day 11 | Albania vs Spain | Croatia vs Italy

Croatia relying on us to score 3 tomorrow. :lol: May aswell get on your flights now

Calafiori is a gem. If we have stupid money for a CB I'd love him.

He’s more of a LB that can also play CB I think, but yeah he’s brilliant. Sadly looks like he’s on his way to Juve.

Sorry, misread draw. Switzerland won’t be easy?

We'll beat them. Half of their starting XI play in Serie A (Sommer, Ricardo Rodriguez, Ndoye, Aebischer, Freuler) and if they were italians no one of them would even be good enough to be called by Spalletti.

The only one that would play in our Starting XI is Xhaka over Jorginho so I'm not scared by Suisse.. Italy vs England in the QF will be very possible

Both Italy and Croatia are shadows of former teams. For Croatia, it's age and you have a smaller population so one of those once in a couple of decade teams, but what the hell has happened to Italian football?

Bar Chiesa, that attacking line-up is not far off Championship quality.

The 7 decade era that lasted from 1934-2006? That's not really an era, that's more of a natural state of things when it lasts that long.

You can't really compare the 1930s to modern day football.

I think Serie A not being as rich as the PL or even the La Liga or Bundesliga I think probably played a big part in them producing fewer world class players. They just fell behind as soon as money became a bigger factor in football than it used to be. If you look at the 1980s, 1990s, teams from all over Europe could be competitive in the CL, for example. Nowadays, that's impossible. Italy remained a top 5 league, but I think they most certainly suffered from it too. The big 3 (Inter, Juve, Milan) aren't as rich as they probably should be, and the rest of the league is even worse off financially. Funnily enough, the Super League would be hugely beneficial to both Italian and Spanish clubs, as they could actually compete financially with English clubs. As it stands, a mid-table PL team can probably outspend at least 15 Serie A and 15 La Liga teams.

However, performances at international tournaments aren't just a reflection of these issues. Overall, international football is way behind club football, so all you need is a good 13-15 decent players, a half-decent coach, a good team spirit, and if it clicks, you can win the Euros or even the World Cup. Italy themselves winning the Euros 3 years ago is a great example of this. Their squad wasn't anything special at all, and they won with fecking Roberto Mancini of all people...the guy who hasn't been at a big club since 2016 and his last club gig was Zenit. International football is mostly for managers on the decline who cannot cut it at the highest level of club football anymore. Except Nagelsmann, he shouldn't really be managing Germany, tbh.

Rooney on Croatia: "I think they'll be a little bit disappointed"

You think?

Yeah looks amazing. His Fbref stats are quite insane.
With him and Licha we would never have issues playing out from the back :b

Calafiori is so so good.

Yet he cannot really play as a CB because he is a liability whenever he forgets his main duties (3 games out of 3 now). Play him 20 meters ahead, instead of Jorginho, and field Mancini or Gatti as a natural CB with Bastoni.

Scotland the other night and Croatia today. Why don't players make professional fouls and take a yellow when you're that deep in injury time and there's a counter on?

Croatia relying on us to score 3 tomorrow. :lol: May aswell get on your flights now
That alone won't be enough. Denmark also has to either win or lose by more than three goals and Czechia and Georgia both have to lose.

You want a left footed CB? There is your answer, Calafiori. Brilliant player. Sign him up rather than wasting your time and money Ineos on that fecking lumberjack Branthwaite.

What the second half lacked in terms of quality, it compensated for in terms of sheer drama.

It's always sad to see legends of the game take their last bow for their countries. That's that for Luka Modric, I think. What a phenomenal player, what a phenomenal career.

Doubt anyone can turn his head away from Juve, apart from maybe Madrid or Barcelona..but those two can't really spend a lot of money these days.

You want a left footed CB? There is your answer, Calafiori. Brilliant player. Sign him up rather than wasting your time and money Ineos on that fecking lumberjack Branthwaite.
We rarely sign players like that. That’s to smart for us to do. We’d rather waste the 50s/60s/70 mils on average players.

Italy have some quality young CBs, with Buongiorno and Scalvini next in line.

Scotland the other night and Croatia today. Why don't players make professional fouls and take a yellow when you're that deep in injury time and there's a counter on?

They did but ref played advantage. Croatia had a counter attack before where the guy could've just ran to the corner flag but he passed inside and they lost the ball so with a minute left there's where they were eliminated tonight baring a miracle.

I’m sure fans of Albania, Slovenia, Romania etc disagree. No idea why people wouldn’t enjoy more football.

Just reduces the stakes. More football, slightly less exciting. Shit was probably a strong word though.