Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Fighter

Nunez's goal scoring record is actually fairly good so far vs the minutes he's played. There's nothing wrong with saying that.

Your pundits have a go because United haven't been very good. Keane's had massive digs at the attitude of your squad over the last couple of seasons. Now they're not because United are starting to look better under ETH.
He scored 3 in PL and 3 in CL and 1 in Charity shield.
The 3 in CL have been in games which you had won already. Yesterdays goal was a joke!

He’s scored 1 wining goal (Westham).

These are the type of stats which will bring your team down. Looks good on paper, but misses too many chances and disrupts the team play!

He's actually making an effort when he plays, which is more than I can say about certain other players currently.

I’m currently more forgiving of him because of this. Regardless of his play, he works extremely hard. Seeing him sprint back to defend in recent weeks whilst our actual defenders jog makes me want to brush aside his deficiencies. At least he looks like he cares.

This is the second second season out of the last three when you’ve been dogshit to be fair
What has that got to do with United pundits being reasonably critical of how utterly terrible United were last season? Liverpool got a fair amount of stick for that awful run in 2020/21 and are getting criticized this season. Carragher's not always right but Nunez's start isn't anywhere near as bad as has been made out.
I’m currently more forgiving of him because of this. Regardless of his play, he works extremely hard. Seeing him sprint back to defend in recent weeks whilst our actual defenders jog makes me want to brush aside his deficiencies. At least he looks like he cares.
Honestly if I have to watch Fabinho struggle to make it to halfway whilst Nunez and Salah sprint to get back and defend...that guy.

If it had to be a choice, then I would take it this way round every time.
Yeah I agree to be honest, but he is similiar to Lukaku in that regard, which is a lazy comparision I know but it really is true. Let's see how he handles having his all-round game scrutinised over time and whether it also affects his output, considering Lukaku seems to at times have struggled with not getting the respect his numbers probably justifies.

Nunez's goal scoring record is actually fairly good so far vs the minutes he's played. There's nothing wrong with saying that.

Your pundits have a go because United haven't been very good. Keane's had massive digs at the attitude of your squad over the last couple of seasons. Now they're not because United are starting to look better under ETH.
I think the point that he seems more Chicharito than Neymar and cost a fortune whilst replacing one of your greats.

Darwin was supposed to replaced Bobby.
They didn't have a real 9 for a while now and need to evolve.
Their game plan is getting countered and neutralized.
Luis Diaz was like-for-like replacement for Sadio, the similarities are staggering.

Darwin was supposed to replaced Bobby.
They didn't have a real 9 for a while now and need to evolve.
Their game plan is getting countered and neutralized.
Luis Diaz was like-for-like replacement for Sadio, the similarities are staggering.
Diaz, as talented as he can look at times is a huge downgrade on Mane.

Diaz, as talented as he can look at times is a huge downgrade on Mane.

Not huge. A minor downgrade probably, but over the years could grow to have similar impact. You have to develop new talents into big players - Diaz is one of the biggest talents out there. Skills and hard work rarely fail to develop.

Not huge. A minor downgrade probably, but over the years could grow to have similar impact. You have to develop new talents into big players - Diaz is one of the biggest talents out there. Skills and hard work rarely fail to develop.
I might be wrong, but at 26 there is no real reason to believe he will develop significantly. He is a very good player, but Mane was just relentless

I don't see Diaz being on the same level as Mané. Mané benefitted from being in a much more well oiled and fresh side, but I think he's just a more rounded player. Diaz ability to make a yard of space and get an accurate and powerful shot off is Mané esque, though, and is a super useful skill to have.

I might be wrong, but at 26 there is no real reason to believe he will develop significantly. He is a very good player, but Mane was just relentless
He's 25, not 26.

When Mane was as old as Diaz currently is, he was having his first full season for Liverpool and wasn't talked about in the same manner as he is now. In the summer of 2016 many on here declared him not even good enough to join United.

Mane at his peak was definitely a tier above what Diaz has shown so far but there's no reason to believe Diaz couldn't grow into a similarly impactful player for us. Not to mention he's had to play initiator and make things happen on his own in a rather struggling offense whilst Mane was a cog in an offesive juggernaut which was scoring for fun almost every single game.

He's 25, not 26.

When Mane was as old as Diaz currently is, he was having his first full season for Liverpool and wasn't talked about in the same manner as he is now. In the summer of 2016 many on here declared him not even good enough to join United.

Mane at his peak was definitely a tier above what Diaz has shown so far but there's no reason to believe Diaz couldn't grow into a similarly impactful player for us. Not to mention he's had to play initiator and make things happen on his own in a rather struggling offense whilst Mane was a cog in an offesive juggernaut which was scoring for fun almost every single game.
That doesn't seem quite right - Mané joined when he was 24 no? So his first full season for Liverpool was as a 24 year old, unless I've got that wrong.

Regardless, in his second season at Mané was an absolute dynamo. Even in his first season, he got a goal every other game.

That doesn't seem quite right - Mané joined when he was 24 no? So his first full season for Liverpool was as a 24 year old, unless I've got that wrong.
Yeah you're right, I was mistaken for one season - Mane was as old as Diaz currently is in February of the 2017/2018 and indeed already firing on all cilinders by then, apologies.

Still though, Diaz has often looked our best player on the field since joining us. Can agree that he's not Mane but he's certainly not a "huge" downgrade, in fact he's one of the closest like for like replacements we could've realistically gotten imo.

He's 25, not 26.

Fair enough

Unfortunately I think Darwin will end up scoring shitloads or them eventually. All his underlying attacking numbers are phenomenal. He's never been this shit at finishing earlier in his career, so I find it more realistic that he'll improve on this rather than keep underperforming his xG. If Liverpool becomes better with him on the pitch is still the big question though. He contributes in a very different way than Bobby and Sadio, so he might turn out to be a bad thing for them no matter how much his goalscoring improves.
Diaz seems to lack productivity, so the future is very uncertain for them going forward.

Think he might be a bit like Ronaldo was for us last season. He'll score goals but offer little to the team in terms of keeping possession, creating chances etc.

Think he might be a bit like Ronaldo was for us last season. He'll score goals but offer little to the team in terms of keeping possession, creating chances etc.
Darwin works twice as hard as Ronaldo though. So the dynamic is not quite the same.

Darwin works twice as hard as Ronaldo though. So the dynamic is not quite the same.

Yeah that's why I think the Lukaku shouts are off base too as he completely and totally outworks Lukaku IMO (Plus im pretty sure that I seen a post/tweet somewhere that showed that Liverpool create more chances statistically when he's on the pitch which I would assume is the opposite story with Ronaldo).

He's already almost 2 goals under XG over 8 games in the PL. That's not "fairly good".

Yeah that's why I think the Lukaku shouts are off base too as he completely and totally outworks Lukaku IMO (Plus im pretty sure that I seen a post/tweet somewhere that showed that Liverpool create more chances statistically when he's on the pitch which I would assume is the opposite story with Ronaldo).
It’s unfair on Lukaku because he has a fantastic left foot

It’s unfair on Lukaku because he has a fantastic left foot

Lukaku was properly used one season with Inter Milan and he was very good, as a pivot point he showed great abilities with Lautaro Martinez.

https://www.fotmob.com/embed/news/01ggw8nn6z01/jamie-carragher-darwin-nunez-scary-numbers

Jamie Carragher claims Darwin Nunez has put up 'scary' numbers for Liverpool

It's a bullshit argument that holds no water, but what's intersting is that the scouse media always stick by theirs - whereas ours (Neville, Rio, Scholes, Keano, Hargreaves) are always happy to chew down our own.

I assume it’s scary in the sense it’s giving them nightmares having paid £85m for him?

Lukaku was properly used one season with Inter Milan and he was very good, as a pivot point he showed great abilities with Lautaro Martinez.
During his last season with us he was used out in the right and he was surprisingly good there. Great at the little through balls and had a great cross on him

He’ll be a 1 in 2 striker which is perfectly acceptable and useful. It’s just you want a little bit more if you’re spending £85m.

During his last season with us he was used out in the right and he was surprisingly good there. Great at the little through balls and had a great cross on him

Yeah, he actually has a really good cross. I preferred him out on the right

This is right, Liverpool is much more dangerous when Darwin is in the team.
He brings about "mad horse in porcelain shop" effect.
Just keep him near the last quarter of the pitch and watch the chaos ensues.
He doesn't seem that quick but he easily blow away any FB in footrace from the flank.
Running the channel is still weak for a CF but he's beastly in the air.
Liverpool seems to have hedge heavily into these uncoachable traits.
It's definitely premium price tag but it's not that hard to understand their reasoning.

Mr Ed now has a goal or an assist every 92 minutes, so I've read elsewhere. Considering Liverpool games are usually 97 minutes long that's one key involvement a game.

Class vision and pass to Salah when everyone thought he would shoot, even Sessagnon who would have reacted to Salah's shot quicker otherwise.

Unfortunately I think Darwin will end up scoring shitloads or them eventually. All his underlying attacking numbers are phenomenal. He's never been this shit at finishing earlier in his career, so I find it more realistic that he'll improve on this rather than keep underperforming his xG. If Liverpool becomes better with him on the pitch is still the big question though. He contributes in a very different way than Bobby and Sadio, so he might turn out to be a bad thing for them no matter how much his goalscoring improves.
Diaz seems to lack productivity, so the future is very uncertain for them going forward.

Yep. And he has the second-best xG/90 in the PL (behind only Haaland, and well ahead of everyone else), so reversion to mean would entail knocking them in by the bucketload in his case.

Honestly at this point, i'd be happy to have him up front for us right now :lol:

Mr Ed now has a goal or an assist every 92 minutes, so I've read elsewhere. Considering Liverpool games are usually 97 minutes long that's one key involvement a game.

Class vision and pass to Salah when everyone thought he would shoot, even Sessagnon who would have reacted to Salah's shot quicker otherwise.

Relax, everyone knows he's quite bad and so they just stood off him. That's why he had so much time in the box to sort out his feet and it worked in his favour this time. Plus the supposedly "class" pass was fizzed across with such pace that Salah (on form) is one of the few strikers in the world who could have controlled it and put that finishing touch on it.

Unfortunately I think Darwin will end up scoring shitloads or them eventually. All his underlying attacking numbers are phenomenal. He's never been this shit at finishing earlier in his career,
And sancho has never been this shit at dribbling earlier in his career... where were they playing?