Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Lance Uppercut

He was very good tonight. Did things I wasn't certain he was capable of. I hope he keeps it up.

Shimo

At the end of the day this was Schalke, likewise with Anderson.. both played well but nothing to get hyped about. Happy for him though, imo he's a valuable member of the squad even if it means he just features in games like these.. the fact he's a goal threat from midfield makes him standout in such encounters.

As long as he's content with this fill in role, then I can't see why he can't stay here a long time. Depends on his level of ambition.. and how much playing time he desires.
Well they've played against so called weaker teams and not played well at times. On the day you still need to go perform and perform they did.

F-Red

Great performance from him tonight, loved his pass to Valencia for the first goal

championo

Top Stalker
He showed mettle to stay in the game. Getting kicked midrib like that is not something to be taken lightly, he could easily have asked to be sub, but he knew this was his chance and I am glad he toke it.
Well played Gibson. Open that Twitter again and feck everybody who talked bad about you. Hell of a game for a semi final in CL

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Well they've played against so called weaker teams and not played well at times. On the day you still need to go perform and perform they did.
True, can't argue with that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Did well today and am delighted for him that he turned in such a performance and got himself a goal and an assist. But to be fair, Shalke were abit shite.

Hellboy

He showed mettle to stay in the game. Getting kicked midrib like that is not something to be taken lightly, he could easily have asked to be sub, but he knew this was his chance and I am glad he toke it.
Well played Gibson. Open that Twitter again and feck everybody who talked bad about you. Hell of a game for a semi final in CL
Against Schalke.

Gibson needs to perform like this week in week out. He's been decent in Europe but hasn't performed as well in the league, especially away from home. He's 23 now and has to step up. We will be buying midfielders next summer, and although I hope he'll improve, I can't see him playing on regular basis for Manchester United.

IrishLegend

Always said the lad has ability. Has shown it again.

It's his work rate and positioning that is the problem, nothing to do with ability.

Tonight he proved that and showed a good improvement in those areas. Maybe some people will get off his back and let him develop into a decent squad player. Was disgusted when I heard some fans booing him when his name was announced before kick off.

Plan M

We all know Gibson has ability but you can't judge him against an awful Schalke, at home, without too much pressure on him.

The jury is still out for me I'm afraid.

Shimo

Am sure there are enough out there that just don't like Gibson that fail to see the ability he does have. It's not just his shooting, his passing can be really good at times. However, today even if it was against a week Schalke side, he showed what he might be capable of if he just has a go. The way a few times he ran with the ball instead of just making a short pass and then sitting back was nice to see.

The question is can he do it more often? Would it be a matter of him playing more games for him to get that confidence which would let him produce more consistent displays?

I don't think I've seen this energetic Gibbo since the Bayern game last season and that's the problem I have with him the most and even with this one game, not convinced he'll make it here unless his attitude during games becomes more forceful. He plays "angry" and that's not what I am talking about regarding being forceful but, more expansive with his passing and having the confidence to run with the ball.

Lastly, Schalke were not that much of a problem for us on the break and didn't see a real case of where Gibson had to track back but, that is big weakness in his game, the ability to get back on defense. The type of player he is, he'll be the one higher up the pitch generally, so that means when other teams break, he needs to be able to get back and catch up. Not sure if he is just naturally wide but, perhaps shedding pounds, even if it is muscle mass and doing some speed work would help him. He showed a bit of afterburner today so he's got it in him.

anver

Shart stop
Well, he did show up yesterday.

Maybe Schalke are shite, but then he outshone his more illustrious team mates.

The twitter twats were silenced.

finneh

Had a really good game, if he can find that level consistantly he'll be a good squad player. Maybe the Twitter debacle was the kick into gear he needed...

Rowem

gently, down the stream
feck off anyone saying it was 'only Schalke'.

Considering it was a CL semi then they were 'weak' opposition, but they are still probably amongst the top 10 team teams to have come to OT this season.

He has ability, for sure he has failed to impose himself in previous opportunities, but he still has a chance. One more season at least, with Hargo and Scholes potentially on the way out this summer, he will be needed.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
His pass was as excellent as Iniestas. Actually, quiete a lot journalists pointed that out as well

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He's always been a good passer of the ball, but as I said a few weeks back, I think you can see his confidence is increasing when he has the ball at his feet. He's more willing to pass it forwards and play the harder ball.

He's very rough but imo he's progressing well and deserves to stay here. Hopefully the goal will give him confidence infront of goal too. Some people find it very hard to be unbiased in giving a fair assessment of a players ability. Just as well we have Ferguson guiding him through his carear :)

Stretch

Well done last night Gibbo. Such an energetic performance. Weighted through ball to Valencia was :drool:

If he can play like this (or near to this level) regularly then he can be a great back up midfielder for us.

Stretch

Damn, I have just checked the MOtM thread. Some people just cannot give credit where credit is due. Some have Nani and Berbatov ahead of Gibson last night. Someone please tell me what game they were watching? Disgusting

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Still no for me. Deserves credit for last night, but fitness and work off the ball not good enough. Maybe if he works very hard at that he could still make it. His footballing skills are definitely good enough.

datura

Still no for me. Deserves credit for last night, but fitness and work off the ball not good enough. Maybe if he works very hard at that he could still make it. His footballing skills are definitely good enough.
I agree. There's the normal lack of perspective for a good performance against a poor team who didn't pressure the ball. The lack of athleticism against better teams will hinder him and his defensive play is sub par.

Cold_Boy

I still don't think Gibson is good enough to be a regular or a squad player at United in future. He has been dire for most of the games.

But credit to him today he was absolutely fantastic. Maybe that's the talent SAF sees in him.Showed he could pass it around well if he has the ball and bothers for it.

Blair

Great game last night. But I'm still not convinced, one good game doesn't make him 'good enough'.

I doubt he's ever going to be able to control a game and dictate play.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It means that their result against Inter was a fluke. But that's off topic.
Not at all. We're just better then Inter Milan. I think the they froze, the occasion and we were just better then them.

Striker10

Great game last night. But I'm still not convinced, one good game doesn't make him 'good enough'.

I doubt he's ever going to be able to control a game and dictate play.
Does Carrick? If Gibson can find an engine and perform to a good level, even when he's under pressure then I wouldn't lose much sleep keeping Gibson. I just don't think there's much difference but Gibson is capable of goals. I would hope we wouldn't play them in the same team as I don't think there's enough quality under pressure.

Blair

If we need to free a space in central midfield for a potential summer signing then it would surely be Gibson? Assuming Scholes stays.

Anderson, Fletcher and Carrick are all more usefull players.

Striker10

You'd think that but that won't happen. I think Scholes is as good as gone sadly but probably Hargreaves as well. I also think that, we want to see better performances from Fletcher and certainly from Carrick. Anderson fingers crossed will build on yesterday. The thing is though, I don't think they're THAT exceptional for it to be impossible for someone to break through like Gibson/Cleverly or whoever. It'll be interesting in the summer what we do.