Dan Ashworth - Garden ready | Back to football with United | use thread in United forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
These compensation numbers are stupid. How can you possibly ask for £20m for a non playing staff member when his contract isn’t worth that? There’s nothing in it at all.

They have limitless wallets, paying him for 2 years wont affect their FFP right? And he'd be on gardening leave too, so I dont know how they lose in this.
They're tight on ffp so it does affect them because a key position is being paid for but with fruits coming from it.

These compensation numbers are stupid. How can you possibly ask for £20m for a non playing staff member when his contract isn’t worth that? There’s nothing in it at all.
It’s complete bullshit. Newcastle have no leverage. He wants to leave. You can’t keep a DOF who wants to leave and isn’t committed. They can either take some cash for him, keep paying him for doing nothing (how can they trust him?) or sack him. Obviously number 1 is what will happen at a much lower fee and maybe 3 months of gardening leave.

20 million, ridiculous, he can sit on his arse and we zoom call him for the next year.

Exactly. Even Woodward was 'only' paid £2.9m. Newcastle highest director was £1m in their latest accounts.

They'd be paying him and they'd need a replacement. We won't be paying an unprecidented £20m directly impacting our own dire FFP position.
DoF appointments doesn't affect FFP does it?
That's what I want clarification on

I’m hoping someone with more knowledge than me can elaborate, but having worked for some global companies where, for example a head of r&d at a pharma company where a blockbuster drug is worth multiple billions can move without the other company paying any compensation, why do we have to pay compensation for Dan?

I’m hoping someone with more knowledge than me can elaborate, but having worked for some global companies where, for example a head of r&d at a pharma company where a blockbuster drug is worth multiple billions can move without the other company paying any compensation, why do we have to pay compensation for Dan?
He has a gardening leave period written into his contract, we'd be paying to circumvent it.

This could end up like when George wanted to quit in Seinfeld. Unfortunately Newcastle don't have a trophy that can be tied to the back of a car and be dragged around a car park.

It’s complete bullshit. Newcastle have no leverage. He wants to leave. You can’t keep a DOF who wants to leave and isn’t committed. They can either take some cash for him, keep paying him for doing nothing (how can they trust him?) or sack him. Obviously number 1 is what will happen at a much lower fee and maybe 3 months of gardening leave.
Exactly. Newcastle can try to play hardball, but their leverage goes down every day this goes on. He was attending scouting meetings last week after telling Newcastle an approach had been made, and the whole story being in the media - how much longer can they keep a DOF working for them who wants to go to another club? We're doing the smart thing by waiting to make an official approach.

Pretty sure it's included. Why wouldn't it be?
Why would it aha!
Honestly I have no clue, just throwing it out there. If it does then I see the value in holding out because Newcastle's FFP situation sucks

He'd 100% be working for us as soon as his gardening leave begins, even if he could only officially take his position in 2026.

Position is now untenable, Newcastle won’t want him working there anymore. Will be a lot of back and forth now about compensation.

If that figure is accurate and Newcastle don't budge surely we'd be better off taking it to a tribunal. I don't see how anyone could justifiably ask that much money for an exec.

Always thought it was around the playing squad. Where does it stop? Do we need to account for Kaths wages?
No it's everything. You couldnt include the revenue from tickets sales without the cost the staff running the stadium.

This was inevitable after Howe's tetchy interview. His position had become untenable.

I think Newcastle have to get quite a good compensation for their owners to save face. The fans will lose trust if they see their new powerful rich owners lose a key executive to a more popular club for pennies.
People always seem to forget that “saving face” is an important part of any negotiation - the money is nothing to Newcastle, however they can’t just let anyone go for free when they are in the middle of a massive rebuild without their fans kicking off. I agree with this tweet that we’ll probably settle on something like 10 mil.
Everyone kinda wins, Newcastle owners save face, Newcastle fans gain confidence in the board for being good firm negotiators and we get a world class sporting director that’s going to help reshape the entire club for the price it costs to pay Martial 6 months wages

Status
Not open for further replies.