Dan Ashworth 2024/2025

And even refused change after he was forced out. He handed his reigns to his pal Arnold and his trusted football people in Murtough. I can't believe that there were many posters in this forum foaming at the mouth defending Murtough to be the right DOF even after many pointed out that he has no track records at all.
What are you talking about?
A lot of things changed when Woodward left. But it didn't matter because the Glazers were still in charge.

They still are. They remain majority shareholders and if they want to chuck their weight around they will be able to.

Not if they handed over footballing matters contractually, legally then they can't.

And whilst the name GLAZER is still the majority shareholder it is quite evident that they are not aligned in their visions meaning that each of their shares stands individually and puts them below SJR in terms of personal holding.

I read the Newcastle message board yesterday in the last hour at work

When he joined from Brighton, they were finally a serious club. A few months in, he was a breath of fresh air and extremely good at his job. Over time they became more and more happy with him turning them into something far removed from the Mike Ashley years.

However, this weird thing happened. When the United rumours happened, he became someone who they didn't need anymore and could do without anyway.

I read the Newcastle message board yesterday in the last hour at work

When he joined from Brighton, they were finally a serious club. A few months in, he was a breath of fresh air and extremely good at his job. Over time they became more and more happy with him turning them into something far removed from the Mike Ashley years.

However, this weird thing happened. When the United rumours happened, he became someone who they didn't need anymore and could do without anyway.
The same would happen here if he were to leave

Not if they handed over footballing matters contractually, legally then they can't.
Is it "contractually, legally" though?

Or just an 'agreement'.

Haven't seen anything to confirm the former and always thought it was the latter.

BTW, not being sarky, I genuinely don't know and would welcome clarity, which if it were the former, would be much more reassuring.

Is it "contractually, legally" though?

Or just an 'agreement'.

Haven't seen anything to confirm the former and always thought it was the latter.

BTW, not being sarky, I genuinely don't know and would welcome clarity, which if it were the former, would be much more reassuring.
It's been reported there is a formal agreement in place - but that it's basically been put away in a drawer and both parties will be hoping to not have to resort to it. It's fairly obvious there would be a very clear, documented contract on what is a multi-billion pound investment, but for the most part (maybe entirely) business will be carried out without having to use the contract.

Have a feeling this dude is all hype and no substance. He will be the final nail on our coffin. To even entertain Sterling is beyond ridiculous

I forgot how entertaining it was reading the inner monologues of those who seek to assess the job value of blokes named Murtough and Ashworth.

Have a feeling this dude is all hype and no substance. He will be the final nail on our coffin. To even entertain Sterling is beyond ridiculous
Your posts are always so emotional. He's had a fine start and a sterling sancho swap won't change it.

He certainly does hang about does Ashworth. He clearly has a workable plan and he’s not waisting time. It’s up to Ten Hag now to get the best out of the players.

Calm down. He's done a great job so far. This transfer window has been one of our best in a long time regardless if we get Sterling or not.

Calm down. He's done a great job so far. This transfer window has been one of our best in a long time regardless if we get Sterling or not.
Your posts are always so emotional. He's had a fine start and a sterling sancho swap won't change it.
What is emotional here? Man will be 30 in december and will not get better from here. It is ridiculous to add him to our team.
I said it earlier in another thread that people are hyping up this transfer window, all the players we have brought in apart from Zirkzee are players their team are looking to get rid off. Yoro is a different situation.

May be Ashworth is trying to push Juventus to make the deal otherwise it is ridiculous

What is emotional here? Man will be 30 in december and will not get better from here. It is ridiculous to add him to our team.
I said it earlier in another thread that people are hyping up this transfer window, all the players we have brought in apart from Zirkzee are players their team are looking to get rid off. Yoro is a different situation.

May be Ashworth is trying to push Juventus to make the deal otherwise it is ridiculous
It could also be Ashworth going to Sterling, offering a massive pay cut, and seeing what the response is.

Had to do a double take to see who you were talking about. I thought it was ETH. Within 60 days you dismissing one of the best directors of football is ridiculous.

Dan Ashworth was brilliant at Brighton and I was gutted when he went to Newcastle. He will rebuild respect for United within the transfer market if he hasn’t already done so to a certain extent. Something you guys could do with after years of mismanagement in that area.

It could also be Ashworth going to Sterling, offering a massive pay cut, and seeing what the response is.
Sterling wont accept a paycut, why will he accept a pay cut? we are not getting any major trophies and he wont be paid half what Rasford and Bruno are taking home.
He is arguably more decorated than everyone at united apart from Casemiro, so he wont take a pay cut to join our rebuilding when he has nothing to prove. It will be a stupid move from him

He has just added de Ligt, Mazraoui, Ugarte and Zirkzee for under 150 million and has gotten rid of Wan Bissaka, McTominay, and potentially Sancho too.

He has had an awesome first summer window and has put the pressure fully in the manager to perform with that squad. Sterling would contribute far more than Sancho and could be the key to getting rid of the latter. Well worth the punt and the pressure it will put on Rashford.

This swap deal, if it goes through, could make or break him. On paper it makes sense because both players could do with a change of scenary, and their styles fit the other clubs better.

Had to do a double take to see who you were talking about. I thought it was ETH. Within 60 days you dismissing one of the best directors of football is ridiculous.
What has he really achieved ? He has it all to prove. Brighton were doing alright before he joined and have continued to do so since he left. He has not made any difference to Newcastle, that much is known by everyone.

Has it all to prove

I mean I'm going to reserve judgement either way, but the fact our director of football, who is largely in charge of our transfers, took over 6 months to complete the signing of himself, does seem very typically post SAF Man Utd.

What has he really achieved ? He has it all to prove. Brighton were doing alright before he joined and have continued to do so since he left. He has not made any difference to Newcastle, that much is known by everyone.

Has it all to prove
I don't think you'd be happy with anyone.

Has it all to prove

constant negativity, must be brilliant being you.

He’s shown something we haven’t seen in over a decade, competency and nous in the market.

With or without Sterling this is a fantastic windows and if Sterling bought into the project joined on massively reduced wages and allowed us to get rid of Sancho then maybe it’s a smart move.

Who cares if he’s 30 next, if he rocks up and lays some goals on then he’s doing more than most who are here right now.

I don't think you'd be happy with anyone.
Proof is in the pudding mate, we are taking a chance on him but calling him one of the best sport directos is ridiculous, he hasnt achieved naything in the game yet

Proof is in the pudding mate, we are taking a chance on him but calling him one of the best sport directos is ridiculous, he hasnt achieved naything in the game yet
What do you get out of repeatedly screeching this?

Are people legit losing their minds over Ashworth because of us potentially signing Sterling? I honestly think he’ll be better than both Sancho and Antony would this season. Even the way Rashfords been this past year, Sterling doesn’t have much of bar to rise up too.

Providing we’re not signing him on mega wages and giving him 5 year contract like a certain Ed Woodward, I’m fine with that.

Jesus. Literally our best window yet. Not getting fleeced by rubbish clubs. Able to move on non performing players.

Yes the signings can be questioned, but feck me, this is more than what i expected.

Like someone said, can't please everyone.

I dont really care for their status at selling clubs. I see there's a vision and firmness in the way we've done our business, sticking to certain valuations and also selling well enough.

To suggest it's suddenly not good anymore because we make the best of a bad situation by selling sancho and potentially seeing a lower wage sterling in, that's a bit overly emotional.

Can't really judge him on this window. Even Woodward could sign players, everyone trying to stay on the right side of FFP this year had brought prices down, which has made Ashworth look more shrewd than Ed but it could just be the market.

He will be judged by how fast and well he manages to move on the players he's signed that turn out to be not good enough or aren't justifying their wages.

Has it all to prove
There's a Brighton supporter in this very thread who just said how brilliant he was at Brighton....