5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember who keeps saying "he defends like a midfielder" that is completely true. He is prone to this insane need to chase the ball around like a wild animal and he forgets he literally has nobody behind him if he fecks it up. That is two goals he's now cost us and both of them resulted in us dropping points at significant times.

I get that having the most crippling, boring, bland and safe setup in front of him with two unadventurous DM's to control the ball deep was the perfect foil for him to not actually have to do any defending. But now we can't get by on that system. It has gotten to the stage where we now have to play actual proper football to win games otherwise we will fail and Van Gaal will be sacked and it is no coincidence that without the ultimate safety net of the most watered down, siege-mode possession that, fancy that. He's not actually a very good central defender.

The blame lies in LVG.

-Blind is exhausted and out of position
-Carrick is exhausted and on the decline
-Rojo out of position
-Other CB options available

Still plays Blind at CB. Just setting Blind up for failure.

His lack of discipline to sit back and defend the space is costing United. Every time he rushes into midfield he exposes the whole backline and basically forcing the CMs to drop in.
This constant interchange of position when back peddling is responsible for the majority of goals conceded this season. Btw not just him, even Smalling is also engaging in this insanity.
You are playing as a CB, just sit back and defend the space.

What was his idea of marking Rondon in this game all about?

He kept standing off him, letting him bring the ball under control, and then running in close to him, allowing Rondon to just turn and take him out of the game EVERY SINGLE TIME. He even did something similar for the goal. What on earth did he think he was achieving?

Why did he keep appearing on the left and right wings? Why did he keep disappearing completely meaning the rest of the defence kept having to shift across to cover for him? Why did he keep sprinting up the pitch miles out of position, both with and without the ball, to do absolutely feck all of any use?

THe Watford game was a freak nightmare performance but this was THE 90 minute example of why he should never be playing at centreback. He has no idea positionally and he is incapable of dealing with physical strikers on even a completely basic level. The goal was utterly pathetic yet again...none of the other teams around us in the table would ever concede that goal, and they're not exactly great at defending themmselves...sorry but another game that goes down as one we might not have lost if Blind wasn't being asked to pretend to be a centreback. It has happened so many times this season it's ridiculous. It will be the difference between us scraping top four and finishing about 7th.

We had a second left foooted centreback ON THE PITCH for feck sake.

Can't understand why Vangle didn't start Rojo at CB when he'd have dealt with Rondon much better and that's even without mentioning Blind's absolutely embarrassing performance against Watford and the fact that he's not even a CB. We conceded yet another idiotic goal because of Blind's random brainfarts while marking the opposition's only goal threat. WBA didn't even play with wingers - Dawson was the only "threat" on the left wing, so Blind's lack of pace wouldn't have been exposed and we'd have had Rojo along Smalling to deal with Rondon/crosses.

Why was so important to start Blind at CB? Vangle clearly has favourites in the squad that are immune to any criticism and they cannot be dropped no matter how they perform. Blind is obviously one of them. If the performances meant anything in terms of team selection, Blind wouldn't have started against WBA after the Watford game and Fosu-Mensah/Rojo would have partnered Smalling. Problem is, Vangle seems to think Blind is essential to the way we play and massively overrates his passing ability. He has his moments, but most of the time his passing is shit - resorts to hoofballs, takes forever to release the ball, slips way too much or just gifts the ball to the opposition with a misplaced pass near our box. He's a waste of space at the moment.

Last edited:
No, he's slow for a midfielder, that much is obvious, but compared to other players even 'modern CBs' he's by no means slow, its the slowest position on the pitch by far.

I'm not saying he'd comfortably out-sprint him, but he's definitely not slower than Nemanja Vidic was, and his speed was never a problem for him.

It's a far bigger issue for him in midfield than it is at centre-back.
he's good at stepping out, reads the game well but over long distance he's just second to Mertefecker

I'm still in awe having a centreback take corners. Against counter attacking teams
it dosnt really matte if he takes them well and he's got a good technique, apart that there is always a player for him at the back faster able to cut the counter short like Varela

He was playing very well at the star of the season with Damian, Smalling and Shaw.
Lately, he has been poor. I also think that Memphis or Mata should take the corners.

I would like to see him as midfielder some games and play Rojo as CB.

He was playing very well at the star of the season with Damian, Smalling and Shaw.
Lately, he has been poor. I also think that Memphis or Mata should take the corners.

I would like to see him as midfielder some games and play Rojo as CB.
Mainly due to our system being screwed back so low that it was literally keeping the ball and not creating any chances at all. I think it hid the fact that he's not a very good defender at CB.

Hasn't he played the most minutes for us this season? Guy's dead tired, needs a rest.

Not sure about minutes, but he's started the most games for us this season - currently he has 1 more start then Smalling and 4 more then Mata.

Liverpool 2:0 Man Utd
Our best outfield player on a bad night for me.

Thought he was okay, no major mistakes and did well as LWB, he's probably the best player on the ball in our squad as well.

I dunno, he was crap on the ball today I thought... there might have been less of the hoofs we've been seeing of late, but he had a fair whack of the ball in the second half, and managed to do absolutely nothing with it.

Mind you, in the grand scheme of our performance, I suppose not giving the ball away every time you get it probably is something to be lauded.

I dunno, he was crap on the ball today I thought... there might have been less of the hoofs we've been seeing of late, but he had a fair whack of the ball in the second half, and managed to do absolutely nothing with it.

Mind you, in the grand scheme of our performance, I suppose not giving the ball away every time you get it probably is something to be lauded.
At least he managed to beat a defender/put in a cross and some nice clever passes, nobody else in our team seems able to do that. Not that he was really good, just better than the others.

His passing is superb. Should really be playing alongside Schneiderlin in the middle of the park.
we already heard this one about Daley Pirlo/Luka Blind, his passing is superb because he has all the time in the world in defense, he is limited as a midfielder and it's not okay passing which holds him back...

His passing is superb. Should really be playing alongside Schneiderlin in the middle of the park.
Is his passing actually superb, or the rest of our teams passing well under par? Imo it's the latter but that's just my opinion. I thought Blind actually made a few poor passes tonight.

However, better performance than his last 2/3.

we already heard this one about Daley Pirlo/Luka Blind, his passing is superb because he has all the time in the world in defense, he is limited as a midfielder and it's not okay passing which holds him back...

I think he deserves another run there. He was still relatively young when he played a lot of games there last season and Carrick got better with age.

I think he deserves another run there. He was still relatively young when he played a lot of games there last season and Carrick got better with age.
I wouldnt mind him in midfield if Schneiderlin, herrera, sweinsteigger are out, he should never start ahead of them though, what he needs now is to be dropped, he's done well for a squad player but should take a rest..

Don't know if someone noticed but their penalty was his fault. I sometimes stop following the ball in games and concentrate on the movement of players. You can clearly see they get their penalty after Daley surges with the ball at his feet, losses it and then fails to track back. Not only he doesn't track he just sits and watches how Clyne advances with the ball while he's marking no one.

Man Utd 1:1 West Ham
He's rotten at the moment but our coach insists on playing him.

Bonkers he wasnt rested at all. No reason why we couldnt play Rojo as CB today and somebody, anybody at LB. Its like the manager is not even watching the game. probably playing his crossword, and is trying to find another word for philosophy for 8 across (and is hoping somebody mentions it).

His corners were particularly rubbish today... But then, our corners are often rubbish (and sometimes outright stupid) regardless of who's taking them.

Status
Not open for further replies.