5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the guy, his passing isn't wasted in defence because a ball playing defender is an important ingredient of a successful team I feel. Those long passes over the defence, or intelligent passes in between the lines as we saw in the third goal yesterday, are what he brings from this position. He is also a perfect counterpart to Smalling, I for one don't see the need for a new centre back, unless the new one is bought as a backup.

After those 2 we are weak at CB tbh. I like Blind, but I would still improve on him if we could and Blind can fill in as a squad player.

I'd actually say vs Arsenal and Newcastle, Smalling was the worst of the two.

Well I'm not specifically pointing fingers at either, just saying they've hardly looked like a top class CB partnership when teams have properly had a go at us.

Wolfsburg? Newcastle? Arsenal? The three most noticeable games this season when the opposing team has actually tried to attack us instead of sitting back and using the coutner? (Though granted the Arsenal one can be put down to a crap tactics in general as well as other things).

Three matches where our midfield disappeared. Fellaini was used as a holding midfielder against Newcastle and Wolfsburg and contributed nothing to the game.

A bit underrated at times, I personally think he's been consistently good bar one or two games this season. Not an exceptional player yet but he potentially could be. Excellent passer of the ball, we can't deny that.

Three matches where our midfield disappeared. Fellaini was used as a holding midfielder against Newcastle and Wolfsburg and contributed nothing to the game.

Just because your midfield disappear doesn't mean that your defenders can just do shoddy/nervy defending and get away with it.

What a post. Very sensible:confused:

He's cost us a lot of games/points this season due to his inability to defend on any basic level, and he has a habit of holding on to the ball for a fecking age for no real reason...often then loses afterwards. His positioning is also really really poor for someone who's "tactically intelligent"

He shouldn't be playing at centreback. That's the main problem really and there hasn't been a point this season where it's not looked pretty obvious. All well and good when we play Stoke and there's acres of room everywhere and no real threat. Not so good when we're away to Wolfsburg and within 20 minutes he's gifted them 4 clear chances that any competent centreback just wouldn't let happen. Or when we're at home to Southampton and Michael Carrick isn't there doing the job people pretend Blind does.

He did have a decent game last night but even so there's this weird urge on here to credit him with the work of other players. Carrick, Martial, Rooney etc. won us the game. Blind was fine but so was most of the team since we actually steamrolled an opponent for once. There's a bit of a Kagawa factor with Blind for some reason.

I wasn't convinced with him in mmidfield last season but I'd much prefer seeing him there than in defence. In fairness we haven't seen him given a real chance in midfield yet since when he played there last year it was in that ridiculous system where he was left all on his own, which any player would have struggled with. Also think he's looked ok at fullback. At centreback though, very definitely no.

Last edited:
He's cost us a lot of games/points this season due to his inability to defend on any basic level, and he has a habit of holding on to the ball for a fecking age for no real reason...often then loses afterwards. His positioning is also really really poor for someone who's "tactically intelligent"

He shouldn't be playing at centreback. That's the main problem really and there hasn't been a point this season where it's not looked pretty obvious. All well and good when we play Stoke and there's acres of room everywhere and no real threat. Not so good when we're away to Wolfsburg and within 20 minutes he's gifted them 4 clear chances that any competent centreback just wouldn't let happen. Or when we're at home to Southampton and Michael Carrick isn't there doing the job people pretend Blind does.

He did have a decent game last night but even so there's this weird urge on here to credit him with the work of other players. Carrick, Martial, Rooney etc. won us the game. Blind was fine but so was most of the team since we actually steamrolled an opponent for once. There's a bit of a Kagawa factor with Blind for some reason.

I wasn't convinced with him in mmidfield last season but I'd much prefer seeing him there than in defence. In fairness we haven't seen him given a real chance in midfield yet since when he played there last year it was in that ridiculous system where he was left all on his own, which any player would have struggled with. Also think he's looked ok at fullback. At centreback though, very definitely no.
Are you being serious? He has defended good more than often than not, to day that he cant even do the basic defending is just blatantly wrong.

He's had a good season so far. Maybe he needs some rest as well. He and Mike have played a lot this season.

What absolute nonsense.

Spot on.

He was good against Stoke, but that's not enough to make him a centre back of any standing. He's been our achilles heel in defence for much of the season.

Jeez.

Think he's been one of best performers this season. Assisted some crucial goals and not looked too shakey in defence.

If Jones had been having the season Blind has been having think everyone would have been singing his praise.

I like the look of blind at centre back, especially when our attack was lacking and edge he seemed to be trying to make things happen.

Just last week he popped up with an important goal from CB from open play. Fair fecks to him.

Way over the top nonsense, you really should catch a grip of yourself.

I think Noodle's post is a bit overly harsh on him, but his main point - that Blind is not a centre-back - is pretty much spot on. I'm find with Blind playing there in games which we expect to control and dominate. He's calm and composed on the ball. He's a good passer, which enables us to play it out from the back. He reads the game quite well.

The problem is though that he's only really capable of doing all that when he's got the time and space to do so. He looks a lot less confident and reliable when he's put under any sort of pressure. His weakest games have come against opposition who have either created lots of chances, or who have had players who have been able to give him a hard time. Part of it's down to his lack of height/lack of physicality. Again, that's fine when he's not really being challenged, and I'm more than happy to use him at centre-back, but he's not a long-term option there. Someone who doesn't look at all comfortable when he faces a difficult game isn't someone who we can be relying upon in the long-term. Very useful and capable utility option though, in multiple areas of the pitch.

I think Noodle's post is a bit overly harsh on him, but his main point - that Blind is not a centre-back - is pretty much spot on. I'm find with Blind playing there in games which we expect to control and dominate. He's calm and composed on the ball. He's a good passer, which enables us to play it out from the back. He reads the game quite well.

The problem is though that he's only really capable of doing all that when he's got the time and space to do so. He looks a lot less confident and reliable when he's put under any sort of pressure. His weakest games have come against opposition who have either created lots of chances, or who have had players who have been able to give him a hard time. Part of it's down to his lack of height/lack of physicality. Again, that's fine when he's not really being challenged, and I'm more than happy to use him at centre-back, but he's not a long-term option there. Someone who doesn't look at all comfortable when he faces a difficult game isn't someone who we can be relying upon in the long-term. Very useful and capable utility option though, in multiple areas of the pitch.

Nah its bollocks. Blind has been fine there this season, forming the best partnership we've had with Smalling since Ferdinand/Vidic and being the least culpable of the pair when it has gone wrong.

I think we should look to improve on him over the summer, but theres not many good centre-backs in the game at the minute, and I think we'll be hard pushed to find someone who's a significant improvement over Blind. For example, in hindsight I'm glad we went with Blind over Otamendi.

Based on what? Any time they get properly tested they usually crumble.

I think they're properly tested every game. In fairness our shape and insistence on 2 CDMs helps but they have conceded the second least amount of goals to Spurs and kept the most clean sheets this year. Also owing to DDG of course but whatever ailments we've suffered this year a poor CB pairing ain't one of them.

Broadly our defence has been great minus a few disasters that you mention however the Newcastle goals where in my opinion, a little freakish and the Arsenal demolition was more a showcase of what happens when you give top class talent lots of time and space and the CBs were really the last plug in an already sunken ship.

Back to Blind, Noodle is totally harsh and totally wrong. People will never, it seems, get over this not a natural CB, height, physicality thing.

Over the last 10 games he's won 46% of aerial duels, Smalling has won 56% in comparison and yet most would label him dominant in that area.

He undoubtedly reads the game well, has tremendous passing stats and often is key to our best attacking play/goals.

This myth that he is always one to be bullied or lacks some kind of natural CB quality is totally nonsense and driven entirely by perception rather than performance.

Also great hair.

If someone can explain to me why Smalling is having his best ever season and emerging as a 'world class' CB and Blind is a midfielder doing a job and a liability then I'm all ears.

They very much share the load and I'm confident I could point to as many instances of Smalling looking lost or being directly culpable for goals as Blind.

I won't though as I'm happy to say they are both doing a great job.

Nah its bollocks. Blind has been fine there this season, forming the best partnership we've had with Smalling since Ferdinand/Vidic and being the least culpable of the pair when it has gone wrong.

I think we should look to improve on him over the summer, but theres not many good centre-backs in the game at the minute, and I think we'll be hard pushed to find someone who's a significant improvement over Blind. For example, in hindsight I'm glad we went with Blind over Otamendi.

He has mostly been fine - I like him, and he's filled his role well. They have been our best partnership since Ferdinand/Vidic, but that's hardly a massive achievement considering they're one of the only regular, recurring partnerships we've had since they departed. Again, Blind's had a decent season, but it's still clear at times (when he's under a lot of pressure), that he's not primarily a centre-back.

He has mostly been fine - I like him, and he's filled his role well. They have been our best partnership since Ferdinand/Vidic, but that's hardly a massive achievement considering they're one of the only regular, recurring partnerships we've had since they departed. Again, Blind's had a decent season, but it's still clear at times (when he's under a lot of pressure), that he's not primarily a centre-back.

Like when Smalling gives away Penos or when Vidic literally got his ass handed to him by Torres on numerous occasions.

Every CB makes errors, looks foolish and is at fault on a semi regular basis, sometimes punished sometimes not.

If Blind was a few inches taller and started as a CB people would think he was top class in that position, instead they micro analyse everything almost looking for instances to reinforce the moronic narrative that he's not a natural CB.

Like when Smalling gives away Penos or when Vidic literally got his ass handed to him by Torres on numerous occasions.

Every CB makes errors, looks foolish and is at fault on a semi regular basis, sometimes punished sometimes not.

If Blind was a few inches taller and started as a CB people would think he was top class in that position, instead they micro analyse everything almost looking for instances to reinforce the moronic narrative that he's not a natural CB.

I'm not denying that Smalling has made mistakes. I think he's guilty of many of the crimes Blind's been guilty of: namely looking very panicked and not being composed when he's put under pressure.

References to Blind's height are presumably due to his lack of physicality, which is a problem for him at times. He's not particularly capable of matching up to much stronger forward, and has been bullied by a couple this season. I'm all for an intelligent, technically capable defender (which Blind is), but they've still got to be able to dominate and command a defence. Which I do think Smalling can do, although I'm not completely sure that Blind can. Again, useful option and he's had a good season, but he's not really an out and out centre-back, and he's probably not going to be our main man there long-term.

He had like 3 or 4 bad games at worst. In a season even vidic and Rio would have had couple of bad games. Nothing really. Otamendi stones and all has like 2 good games And lots of goals conceded due to their mistakes. Even a single mistake by him and people will scream 'he isn't a CB. He doesn't have height' and all. Smalling has had more mistakes than him inspite of playing all his life as mainly a CB (not counting the few RB games under SAF). He has at max 2 goals or so conceded due to his mistakes. Vs Bournemouth and Southampton away

In fact I can name maybe 3 or 4 centre backs In the PL who would be a significant improvement to him. Kompany (injury less), shawcross, koscielny, alderweireld and stones (not this season's version but). Players like mangala otamendi lovren mertasacker are worse than him in most aspects and they play for big clubs as well.

Just because he isn't tagged as a 'centreback' doesn't mean he is not good. He has been a defender all his career. It's hardly like we converted him from Winger to CB. If you think he isn't ok at CB, then Vidic would probably be just above average as per your standards

I think Blind is excellent at centre back. He rarely loses out because of his lack of pace in that position. It you are intelligent enough in that position then you don't need pace at all, see John Terry. So long as we don't start playing a high line I am happy for us not to sign a new first choice centre back.

The combination of Blind and Smalling works really well, I would not be in a hurry to beak that up except for a top top CB

The great thing about Daley is he would be first choice LB at the moment too (until Shaw returns) so even if you dislike him at CB everyone would still have him in the team.

Great signing, love the guy!

That's pretty much spot on, there's a wealth of examples where he's been up against stong of fast centre forwards and have dealt with them excellently. As you say its micro analysed to a degree where any slight error will be emphasised to almost appease a negative preconception, 'see I told you he was poor in the air'.

I find it strange when people say that he is only OK for games like Stoke, well that means pretty much 90% of the games we play. We have played over 30 games this season and you can count on one hand the number of times teams had a go at us.

The fact is that while I am still not sure if his future is at CB or not but in most United games I am waiting for him to get the ball because he seems to be our only attacking outlet.

Turning out to be a very good signing.
LVG has in general, signed well, with only Di Maria being a definite flop. I'm sure that Darmian, Schneiderlin and Memphis will go on to become key players for us despite their struggles this term.

I find it odd that Smalling gets so much praise "best CB in the league so far etc" especially earlier in the season and Blind gets "hasn't been tested, teams haven't had a go"

I think the truth is somewhere in between. There have been games where he has been tested and come through, some he has been below par, and some where the defense has been entirely exposed and he actually handled the situation better than Smalling.

However in the majority of games he is rarely out of position and is very good defensively, and has handled the so called big strikers who will bully him because he is so weak.

I think he is having another good season, and in general going under the radar tbh. I would like an upgrade at CB for next season, however Blind has convinced me he call fill in at the position very well.

EDIT: At the price I will have to say LVGs best signing thus far

LVG has in general, signed well, with only Di Maria being a definite flop. I'm sure that Darmian, Schneiderlin and Memphis will go on to become key players for us despite their struggles this term.

Jury is still out on those 3 but I'm also confident they'll prove to be good buys.

Di Maria never wanted to be here in all honestly so even though he's a flop, there's some sympathy for LvG there.

Why stop there? I'm thinking in history.

Which centre back is better at passing than Blind? He passes to the standard of a very good ball playing midfielder. He isn't top bracket for a midfielder like Xavi, Scholes or Pirlo but I can't think of another centre back with his level of ability at passing.

It's hard to tell whether all of your posts are complete WUMs or you are being genuinely serious.

Blind hasn't done a lot wrong this season and has been crucial for ball retention between the back four and the midfield. And has won us some games with some stellar forward passing.

And saying he's a complete liability in defense is also a bit absurd. We're second in goals allowed this season, and if we really did have someone in defense who was a complete liability, we certainly wouldn't be giving up so few goals.

Which centre back is better at passing than Blind? He passes to the standard of a very good ball playing midfielder. He isn't top bracket for a midfielder like Xavi, Scholes or Pirlo but I can't think of another centre back with his level of ability at passing.
In terms of passing, he's not in the bracket below, either (Alonso, Carrick, Busquets)
He's probably in the bracket below. He's definitely a better/more effective passer from the centre back position than from midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.