5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does he infuriate anyone else with his lack of fight? I have seen so many counter-attacks against us this seasons where he just gives up, puts his hands on his head and strolls back. Yeah he is slow but he could at least try and get back. Anyway, a bad game. Struggled with Redmond's pace I thought.

I like Blind and think he has a lot of value; he should be our O'Shea (and there's nothing wrong with that.)

I like Blind and think he has a lot of value; he should be our O'Shea (and there's nothing wrong with that.)

I agree. There's definitely nothing wrong with that. O'Shea often played 45-50 games a season too.

One of the best of LvG's transfers, IMO. Despite being mostly a utility player, he's still one of the top 3 passers in the squad.

i'm a huge fan of his, i don't agree with the post above about lack of fight.

its just his critics coming out of a shell after a couple of bad games. Doesnt matter that the likes of Jones and all, the fighters, were useless as well

i'm a huge fan of his, i don't agree with the post above about lack of fight.
He definitely does give up once the ball has gone passed him. Instead of chasing it back and taking a chance they might get held up, he just stands there and watches what happens - very frustrating.

He did it in the first goal against Norwich. Something which was completely his fault aswell. He followed Redmond all the way into midfield and instead of getting back to the LB position he ends up ball watching like a midfielder and lets Redmond get in behind him. It's a shame as he's done well at CB, but we cannot rely on him being a left back against pacey wingers IMO.

The worst defender on the pitch yesterday was Phil Jones and this is the thread I see getting bumped?

Bizarre.

He definitely does give up once the ball has gone passed him. Instead of chasing it back and taking a chance they might get held up, he just stands there and watches what happens - very frustrating.

He did it in the first goal against Norwich. Something which was completely his fault aswell. He followed Redmond all the way into midfield and instead of getting back to the LB position he ends up ball watching like a midfielder and lets Redmond get in behind him. It's a shame as he's done well at CB, but we cannot rely on him being a left back against pacey wingers IMO.

I prefer him in the centre too, even CDM. For me the bigger disappointment is Memphis. He offers nothing in terms of tracking back. He deserves a lot more criticism than he is getting.

I prefer him in the centre too, even CDM. For me the bigger disappointment is Memphis. He offers nothing in terms of tracking back. He deserves a lot more criticism than he is getting.
True but the RB rarely ventured forward, a defender has to be reliable 1v1, you can't always rely on your winger to get back and help. That's why we miss Shaw so much, our LW could be more attacking and not worry so much about getting back, knowing Shaw will eat every winger coming forward. Sigh.:(

True but the RB rarely ventured forward, a defender has to be reliable 1v1, you can't always rely on your winger to get back and help. That's why we miss Shaw so much, our LW could be more attacking and not worry so much about getting back, knowing Shaw will eat every winger coming forward. Sigh.:(

There was also an incident in the second half where Memphis just waited for the ball to come to his feet only too lose out. Made no attempt to tackle back. I'm really disappointed with him generally.

There was also an incident in the second half where Memphis just waited for the ball to come to his feet only too lose out. Made no attempt to tackle back. I'm really disappointed with him generally.
Yeah he is by no means perfect yet, seems to struggle with aggressive defenders who close him down quickly. The ability is there though, we just need to be patient and not get on his back everytime he makes a mistake - that killed Nani who IMO would still comfortably be our most creative player. Having Martial/Nani/Di Maria would have been majestic.

When we eventually have a top side in a year or two (hopefully), Blind should not be a first-choice starter. That having been said, he has been immense for us on many occasions since he signed, and can perform in several positions. Extremely intelligent as a player, with an abundance of quality on the ball. I agree with people saying he should be our new O'Shea (though Blind is the superior footballer). He could potentially play 40-50 games a season for us over the next 5-10 years in various positions - he may prove to be invaluable. That quality in depth (the quality of the non first XI players) is what turns a good side into title winners - it is the reason why Arsenal cannot win the league, and why we won it almost every time for 20 years.

Whether he works out at CB or not is another question - I would be very surprised to see the new manager persist with him at CB (bar the odd game in an injury crisis, assuming we sign someone this summer), but he has proven himself in midfield and at left-back already, so there is no reason as to why he should be dismissed. Some of the reactions to his performances (not speaking specifically about this game) on here are insane, whether it is a good game or a bad game. It goes without saying that he is the least of our problems right now, even if he was sub-par yesterday. I am a big fan, hope he stays for many years.

Yeah he is by no means perfect yet, seems to struggle with aggressive defenders who close him down quickly. The ability is there though, we just need to be patient and not get on his back everytime he makes a mistake - that killed Nani who IMO would still comfortably be our most creative player. Having Martial/Nani/Di Maria would have been majestic.

I'm not getting on his back, I just think his attitude is all wrong

I think blinds good enough to be a long term CB aslong as smalling is there. Which is likely since he is the next captain in line.

What smalling lacks; blind has and the reverse.

This is his first season at CB (hardly even that).
I think Blind's career as United centre back lasts as long as van Gaal's career as United manager. Well, maybe he'll get lucky and Guardiola will join and implement his possession game here. But unless it's one of those two, I don't see it being long-term.

Just slipped on the shite coming out his nappy. More interested in not getting hurt and cruising through games. Testimonial game player.

He didn't keep up with the defensive line for that arnautovic chance
You mean the one where Carrick gave them all the time in the world to play the ball through to him?

:lol: Are you serious? Where was he for the first goal? Was he even in the frame?
Are you serious? That goal had absolutely nothing to do with him whatsoever, memphis was there, do you want him holding his hand? Or does he need to predict the future?

Blind has been one of our better performers so far today not to say that he's playing excellent thought jus the rest have been that shit.

Are you serious? That goal had absolutely nothing to do with him whatsoever, memphis was there, do you want him holding his hand?

:lol: He is the left back. He absolutely should have been there. He went for a stroll when he should be busting his gut to get back.

Stop talking nonsense.

Last edited:
:lol: He is the left back. He absolutely should have been there. He went for a stroll when he should be breaking his gut to get back.

Stop talking nonsense.
Thats why players cover for each other, we aren't playing netball. There was a player covering, this is how modern football works, beggars belief.

Well, modern football is clearly not working. :lol:
Yeah let's make our team more rigid than it already is, that'll work :devil::nervous::lol:

I suppose that arnautovic chance was Smallings fault because he wasn't in the centreback position from the corner? Because you're not allowed to leave your position right?

Yeah let's make our team more rigid than it already is, that'll work :devil::nervous::lol:

I suppose that arnautovic chance was Smallings fault because he wasn't in the centreback position from the corner? Because you're not allowed to leave your position right?

Na, let's keep up with modern football. It's working like a charm.

@ivaldo tbf you asked for a joke about modern football under van Gaal there.

Status
Not open for further replies.