5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure we do. Jones and Smalling can do enough. Can't remember us ever having a good ball playing cb in the past and we've been fine.

I think he's been excellent all season (except for that OG thing that didn't count).

Surely there has to be a gif of the 'own goal'?

One of the funniest things I've seen in a game for ages. Wtf was he thinking? :lol:

Edit: Just found it. Its so so good :lol::lol:

It's one of those times when you know you need to do anything but kick the ball in this one very specific location. So you kick it in exactly that direction.

I'm probably one of the few that is happy with Smalling, Jones and Blind as our 3 centrebacks. Smalling is is a cert, Jones for more physical opponents and Blind for when we need that extra bit of ability on the ball against pressing teams and teams that sit back.

I'm probably one of the few that is happy with Smalling, Jones and Blind as our 3 centrebacks. Smalling is is a cert, Jones for more physical opponents and Blind for when we need that extra bit of ability on the ball against pressing teams and teams that sit back.

I'm edging towards us perhaps looking at one more top centre-back long-term if we can find one, but I'm more than happy with our current centre-backs for the moment, and a lot happier with the current batch than I'd have expected to be at this point last season. I'd rather play Jones against the more physical opponents, as you say, while reserving Blind for games where we're in control and unlikely to be under a lot of pressure. Of course, long-term I'd still like to see Jones ironing out any errors in his game and making the position his own, with Blind then becoming a backup option there who can also play for us in other areas of the pitch, but right now I'm happy for us to rotate.

The thing is you don't usually do a lot of rotation with CB's, a good back 4 is built on consistency.

The thing is you don't usually do a lot of rotation with CB's, a good back 4 is built on consistency.

True. But occasionally switching from one centre-back to other, especially when they both have a decent pairing with Smalling, wouldn't be too disruptive. Of course, I'm still hoping that Jones eventually makes the position his own and becomes a consistent starter, but until then, I'm happy to see us changing it up here and there every so often, especially when we'll have a lot of football and certain players may occasionally need a rest.

Lvg wants one in his system though..Rio was decent with the ball too in the past.

Rio is my favourite CB ever. An elegant defender but in truth he was nothing special in possession. He hit a lot of aimless long passes.

People need to get over this ball playing CB rubbish. All any team needs at CB is two good defenders who can defend against quality attackers, organise the defense and keep clean sheets. If they are a threat from set pieces its a bonus. As for ability on the ball they should be good enough to consistently get the ball to a midfielder and not lose the ball in the wrong areas of the pitch. That's literally all that's required. Give me that much and I'm ecstatic.

They do not need to be expansive passers and they should not need to carry a creative burden or have any real effect on how the team plays. How many CBs in world football really have a major impact on how the team plays or how many chances a team creates? Do they really play in an area of the field where they can do that? There are 8 other outfield players who play further forward. If we are looking to our CBs to dictate play our team is simply not functioning correctly.

Smalling while not having much luck in front of goal this season has had more of an attacking influence from set pieces alone than just about any CB in football has had through passing or being great on the ball.

Last edited:
Rio is my favourite CB ever. An elegant defender but in truth he was nothing special in possession. He hit a lot of aimless long passes.

People need to get over this ball playing CB rubbish. All any team needs at CB is two good defenders who can defend against quality attackers, organise the defense and keep clean sheets. If they are a threat from set pieces its a bonus. As for ability on the ball they should be good enough to consistently get the ball to a midfielder and not lose the ball in the wrong areas of the pitch. That's literally all that's required. Give me that much and I'm ecstatic.

They do not need to be expansive passers and they should not need to carry a creative burden or have any real effect on how the team plays. How many CBs in world football really have a major impact on how the team plays or how many chances a team creates? Do they really play in an area of the field where they can do that? There are 8 other outfield players who play further forward. If we are looking to our CBs to dictate play our team is simply not functioning correctly.

Smalling while not having much look in front of goal this season has had more of an attacking influence from set pieces alone than just about any CB in football has had through passing or being great on the ball.

Believe me, this and the left footed lcb things are things I am not a huge fan of either. I was just saying it as its one of Lvg's obsessions. So thats one thing he'd definitely consider.

Believe me, this and the left footed lcb things are things I am not a huge fan of either. I was just saying it as its one of Lvg's obsessions. So thats one thing he'd definitely consider.

Fair enough. Wasn't really aiming it at you. It's something I've been meaning to say for a while. I'm sick to death of hearing people trying to reinvent football to suit a narrative or justify decisions like playing Blind at CB.

Smalling while not having much look in front of goal this season has had more of an attacking influence from set pieces alone than just about any CB in football has had through passing or being great on the ball.

Why? Granted, a defender's main priority should be defending, but being a good footballer can often be an important part in that. I don't see what's wrong with wanting to have a centre-back who's comfortable on the ball, and is able to competently pass it to the midfield from the back. Yeah, it's not completely integral, but if you're given the choice between two centre-backs with equal defensive ability, but one is very good on the ball, while the other is terrible, then you'll naturally opt for the one with better ability on the ball.

It's a bit like strikers. Yes, you want a striker to primarily score goals, but you'd ideally want one who's an accomplished player in general and isn't merely limited to being a finisher alone.

if you're given the choice between two centre-backs with equal defensive ability, but one is very good on the ball, while the other is terrible, then you'll naturally opt for the one with better ability on the ball.

It's a bit like strikers. Yes, you want a striker to primarily score goals, but you'd ideally want one who's an accomplished player in general and isn't merely limited to being a finisher alone.

That literally couldn't be more obvious. I was responding to a poster who suggested we NEEDED a ball playing CB

Why? Granted, a defender's main priority should be defending, but being a good footballer can often be an important part in that. I don't see what's wrong with wanting to have a centre-back who's comfortable on the ball, and is able to competently pass it to the midfield from the back. .

I said in my post that defenders should be able to pass the ball into midfield and comfortable enough on the ball to to give it away in the wrong areas. They need to be able to do the basics. They don't need to be great ball players.

True. But occasionally switching from one centre-back to other, especially when they both have a decent pairing with Smalling, wouldn't be too disruptive. Of course, I'm still hoping that Jones eventually makes the position his own and becomes a consistent starter, but until then, I'm happy to see us changing it up here and there every so often, especially when we'll have a lot of football and certain players may occasionally need a rest.

Personally I don't see Jones making it as a long term starter, but if we are going to try then this season I think he needs to start at least every PL game with Smalling to try and build up a real partnership and get used to thriving no matter who we face.

Fair enough. Wasn't really aiming it at you. It's something I've been meaning to say for a while. I'm sick to death of hearing people trying to reinvent football to suit a narrative or justify decisions like playing Blind at CB.

You must be aiming at LvG then as people saying it are simply going off what the manager has stated he wants and how he feels it is important to have a CB that can bring the ball over the halfway line and be comfortable passing it under pressure. It's the Dutch way and it's how Barca play which is what LvG likes, so he is trying to mold us that way, it's why he didn't bother with Otamendi, he already had Jones and Rojo for the dog work CB style.

That literally couldn't be more obvious. I was responding to a poster who suggested we NEEDED a ball playing CB

I said in my post that defenders should be able to pass the ball into midfield and comfortable enough on the ball to to give it away in the wrong areas. They need to be able to do the basics. They don't need to be great ball players.

They don't need to be, but it certainly helps. I do think clubs should be working to ensure that when young defenders are being developed, they're as good on the ball as possible. I got the impression that you seemed to be more against this, with your comments about it being an unnecessary reinvention etc.

They don't need to be, but it certainly helps. I do think clubs should be working to ensure that when young defenders are being developed, they're as good on the ball as possible. I got the impression that you seemed to be more against this, with your comments about it being an unnecessary reinvention etc.

Well that's just daft. Being good on the ball is obviously better than not being good on the ball. I'm not against players being good on the ball. At the highest level central defenders do need to be able to play a bit. If they are great on the ball that's a bonus.

Realistically though, having a great ball player at CB isn't going to make that much difference to how the team plays. They wont be overly involved in attacking areas and teams certainly shouldn't be depending on CBs to dictate play. Beyond a certain level of competency it's just not something that's going to be that big a factor in how effective a CB is. The biggest factor is how good they are at stopping the opposition from scoring. Great defending is an art form in itself. One that seems to be undervalued by many on here.

You must be aiming at LvG then as people saying it are simply going off what the manager has stated he wants and how he feels it is important to have a CB that can bring the ball over the halfway line and be comfortable passing it under pressure. It's the Dutch way and it's how Barca play which is what LvG likes, so he is trying to mold us that way, it's why he didn't bother with Otamendi, he already had Jones and Rojo for the dog work CB style.

I'm aiming it at him and people who agree with him. I'm aiming it people who were happy to have a midfielder playing at CB because his passing was so important to the team and the way we play. It's a load of crap. CBs should be picked on their ability to keep clean sheets. Their defensive contribution is infinitely more important that how they contribute to our play.

Barca's defence has been their only weakness over the years. It's the one part of their team I wouldn't choose to emulate. They have got away with it by being bloody brilliant in just about every other area. If we had their team we could "innovate" as much as we want at the back.

I'm aiming it at him and people who agree with him. I'm aiming it people who were happy to have a midfielder playing at CB because his passing was so important to the team and the way we play. It's a load of crap. CBs should be picked on their ability to keep clean sheets. Their defensive contribution is infinitely more important that how they contribute to our play.

Barca's defence has been their only weakness over the years. It's the one part of their team I wouldn't choose to emulate. They have got away with it by being bloody brilliant in just about every other area. If we had their team we could "innovate" as much as we want at the back.

It was important to how we are trying to play though, Blind started off a number of attacks for us with his incisive use of the ball, and in fairness created a number of chances thanks to being able to stride into midfield on the ball and use it effectively. The other reason people liked Blind in there was his brain, where as Jones is as thick as week old porridge and prone to regular lapses positionally. Of course the flipside is Blind has had issues physically and against pace, basically if you could mesh their best qualities together you'd have the ideal CB.

The other reason people liked Blind in there was his brain, where as Jones is as thick as week old porridge and prone to regular lapses positionally.

Is Blind really that much more astute than Jones when it comes to reading the game? I think his gracefulness, and Jones' very obvious lack of it gives that impression far more than is actually the case.

I dont like him at all in midfield, he can do an excellent job as a cb against teams that will sit back 11 men behind the ball though.

Is Blind really that much more astute than Jones when it comes to reading the game? I think his gracefulness, and Jones' very obvious lack of it gives that impression far more than is actually the case.

I think Blind is a good reader of the game personally, it's partially how he overcame his physical unsuitability for the CB role in the PL. Jones on the other hand is often rash and has to recover with his pace after misreading a situation.

Crystal Palace 0:0 Man Utd
Good game from him I felt, him and Rojo got roasted for pace by Bolasie on one occasion but most will against him, however his intercepting and distribution was decent throughout.

I was disappointed by his performance. Losing aerial battles was hardly a surprise but I expected more quality in his distribution. Very slow to release the ball forwards. Perhaps there weren't enough runs being made.

He was struggling a little, got done by pacey Palace players a couple of times. If he didn't have Smalling alongside him he would get eaten alive.

Man Utd 1:0 Moscow
He's been great. Solid throughball to Mata and has kept the striker pretty quiet. Hasn't had that much to do but on the ball he's been excellent.

One of the best passers we've had at this club. Range is brilliant. How many times has he played a gem of a pass from the CB position this season?

One of the best passers we've had at this club. Range is brilliant. How many times has he played a gem of a pass from the CB position this season?

Fully agree. This sort of game where we're dominant territorially is made for him at LCB.

Very good tonight. His touch and passing is such an asset when you have so much of the ball. That Doumbia chance was a catalogue of errors from everyone but aside from that my man of the match.

Very good for the most part. Excellent in possession and defended well.

What the feck was he playing at here though? Two CSKA players waiting for the cut back. Seemed to just decide not to bother getting back in to defend.

Out of position, and easily out-muscled and out-paced in that phase of play. A bit disappointing that he completely gave up the chase, too!

He plays like a midfielder in defence, because that's what he is. Great passing, but little presence. To be fair, he offered just about enough today, given that Smalling was in beast mode.

Overall, a decent performance, but only because he was hardly called upon to do any defending. I'm just glad that Doumbia didn't play from the beginning. Blind was targeted by him in the away tie and I was afraid the same might happen today.

I thought he was pretty good. His effort in that clip is pathetic though.

Out of position, and easily out-muscled and out-paced in that phase of play. A bit disappointing that he completely gave up the chase, too!

He plays like a midfielder in defence, because that's what he is. Great passing, but little presence. To be fair, he offered just about enough today, given that Smalling was in beast mode.

Overall, a decent performance, but only because he was hardly called upon to do any defending. I'm just glad that Doumbia didn't play from the beginning. Blind was targeted by him in the away tie and I was afraid the same might happen today.

That didn't happen. Blind didn't start in Moscow. He came on for Rojo by 65th minute or so and by then we were dominating the game and we were hardly required to defend.

That didn't happen. Blind didn't start in Moscow. He came on for Rojo by 65th minute or so and by then we were dominating the game and we were hardly required to defend.
Don't let that get in their way though.

Man Utd 2:0 West Brom
Immaculate on the ball today, he's a big asset at CB in this type of game.

Pretty good game. These kind of matches are perfect for him really. Would like to rotate him with Jones in games we are going to be put under more pressure.

His weight of pass is insane. Draws in opponents who can't quite intercept and give our guys more space. Agree that he's one of the best passers I've ever seen in a red shirt.

He is really a great option to have in the squad. Put him at CB, LB, CDM and he can do a decent job. But at CB he has really been a revelation this season. We can keep rotating him with Jones till the latter get's fully fit.

I think Blind is a great option against teams who want to park the bus. He loves those runs in the midfield and can play some important balls over the opposition defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.