5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how much playing time he will get now. Today was such an organized defensive performance and the back four performed well with the ball, including Jones. Will Blind move back into midfield if needed there? Or just rotate at CB & LB as needed?

I wonder how much playing time he will get now. Today was such an organized defensive performance and the back four performed well with the ball, including Jones. Will Blind move back into midfield if needed there? Or just rotate at CB & LB as needed?

Quite a bit I imagine. Jones never stays fit and his ability to play various positions will come in handy.

Disappointing that he's lost his starting place as he's done very little wrong but can bring English a consistent pairing of Jones and Smalling excites me. I'd hope he gets the nod when we play teams that sit back, we need his passing range.

Man Utd 0:0 Middlesbrough
Did his job for me, calm head, gave nothing away and distributed into Carrick/Fellaini well enough.

What was the disallowed goal about? One of those things that would make you think we were trying to lose.

Somebody must have a GIF of that own goal, I don't think I've ever laughed so much during a game of football.

Now that we lost anyway I sort of wish that wasn't flagged offside. It would have been an absolute classic of an own goal. Plus it would have saved us the added fatigue of extra time.

some shocking defending at one point when he struggled to get back and let the player go on goalkeeper... not sure now if it was smalling who recovered well or Blind himself but there was huge space left by Blind who once again showed his lack of pace. The own goal was hilarious got aay with that... I liked one of his takcles but you expect a player from his position to make these. Smalling agan kept it together...

The new Pirlo/Modric is certainly not good enough for Mcnehster United to start at any positions, squad player at best, we have a good generation of defenders coming up so I hope it will be them(CBJ, TFM, Tuanzebe....) who get the chance not someone like him with average potential and protection he's given...

some shocking defending at one point when he struggled to get back and let the player go on goalkeeper... not sure now if it was smalling who recovered well or Blind himself but there was huge space left by Blind who once again showed his lack of pace. The own goal was hilarious got aay with that... I liked one of his takcles but you expect a player from his position to make these. Smalling agan kept it together...

The new Pirlo/Modric is certainly not good enough for Mcnehster United to start at any positions, squad player at best, we have a good generation of defenders coming up so I hope it will be them(CBJ, TFM, Tuanzebe....) who get the chance not someone like him with average potential and protection he's given...

Pirlo/Modric?? Wtf is this?

That would have been the most incredible own goal in the history of own goals. He was several yards wide of the right hand post and couldn't have been more than a yard away from the dead ball line, under not much pressure. A double amputee could have comfortably dealt with that situation. Absolutely amazing that he somehow managed to concede a goal.

Wtf are you saying?

That own goal was absolutely baffling, I thought he was thinking the goal had already crossed the line, and was kicking it back into the net in frustration. Clearly though that hasn't happened, it was just an absolutely baffling moment.

Coinciding with Romeros absolute howler, it certainly was a strange game.

I just couldn't believe it when I saw him bury it in the bottom corner. I'd love to know what happened/went through his mind when he did that because it was so weird. He was OK other than that, but imagine if that goal stood? :lol: Would have saved us the heartache of losing on penalties, I guess.

The flag went up very early, he must just have seen it and knew play had stopped.

The way he was holding his head in his hands suggests to me he thought he'd scored an own goal. One of those most bizarre things I've seen for a while. If we'd gone out 0-1 to that goal I wouldn't even be a tiny bit annoyed

Would have saved 40 minutes of last night, too.

Surely there has to be a gif of the 'own goal'?

One of the funniest things I've seen in a game for ages. Wtf was he thinking? :lol:

Edit: Just found it. Its so so good :lol::lol:

I thought he was useless last night, I bet he was a very relieved man that own goal was disallowed because that would've made many blooper dvds for years to come. As for that back pass I know Romero should've controlled it better but it was a stupid one to play back so I think he should be partly responsible.

As for that back pass I know Romero should've controlled it better but it was a stupid one to play back so I think he should be partly responsible.
The ball had practically no pace on it at all, there is no excuse for Romero's control, Romero's gran would be embarrassed by such a poor touch.

The ball had practically no pace on it at all, there is no excuse for Romero's control, Romero's gran would be embarrassed by such a poor touch.
Yea. Romero wasn't simply trying to control it. He was going to lay it to his side. He made the too common mistake of thinking about his next move before finishing executing the current move. You see it every game. Usually it's just a winger that loses it out for a throw-in or something like that but it's more noticeable and costly when a GK or a CB does it.

I thought he was useless last night, I bet he was a very relieved man that own goal was disallowed because that would've made many blooper dvds for years to come. As for that back pass I know Romero should've controlled it better but it was a stupid one to play back so I think he should be partly responsible.
Nothing wrong with the backpass, Romero took his eye off the ball, bizarrely tried to shift the ball with the outside of his foot instead of the instep. The final was golden though.

Nothing wrong with the backpass, Romero took his eye off the ball, bizarrely tried to shift the ball with the outside of his foot instead of the instep. The final was golden though.

It was a really poor backbass. No keeper wants to deal with a ball that is bobbling knee high off the ground. The onus is always on the defender to keep a back pass from that sort of distance on the deck.

Which is not taking away from Romero's buffoonery, obviously.

Surely there has to be a gif of the 'own goal'?

One of the funniest things I've seen in a game for ages. Wtf was he thinking? :lol:

Edit: Just found it. Its so so good :lol::lol:

That's quite literally unbelievable. If an U-10s player did the same thing you'd think he was scoring deliberately. There's just no rational explanation for his decision to try and kick the ball that direction. It's proper mental.

It was a really poor backbass. No keeper wants to deal with a ball that is bobbling knee high off the ground. The onus is always on the defender to keep a back pass from that sort of distance on the deck.

Which is not taking away from Romero's buffoonery, obviously.
This notion annoys me, that keepers seem to havesome free pass to be absolute shit with the ball at their feet unless the pass to them was perfect, most children would've been able to deal with that, it wasn't driven at him, it wasn't close range, it just bouncedonce or twice before reaching him. If that pass was from say Rojo across the backline to Jones and Jones ballsed up like that no one would mention the pass.

This notion annoys me, that keepers seem to havesome free pass to be absolute shit with the ball at their feet unless the pass to them was perfect, most children would've been able to deal with that, it wasn't driven at him, it wasn't close range, it just bouncedonce or twice before reaching him. If that pass was from say Rojo across the backline to Jones and Jones ballsed up like that no one would mention the pass.

It was a poor back-pass. If I passed the ball like that to any team-mate in my mediocre five-a-side they wouldn't be happy with my inability to control the ball properly. It's easy to take a bobbling ball on the half-volley, so you can pass it along the deck. The fact Blind didn't/couldn't created an unnecesarily difficult situation. Which Romero promptly made a pig's ear out of.

That's quite literally unbelievable. If an U-10s player did the same thing you'd think he was scoring deliberately. There's just no rational explanation for his decision to try and kick the ball that direction. It's proper mental.

There's just no logical explanation for it :lol:

I really hope someone asks him about it one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.