Cycling 2024

And if he wins tomorrow's ITT(which he might, not sure about Remco's condition) it would be unprecedented. 12 stage wins across the 2 GT

Unfecking real acceleration - you could see Jonas trying to stay on his wheel and then shakes his head...

Nice to see a bit of a comeback from Vingegaard, counter-attacking and cementing his 2nd place. You could see the Pogacar stage win from a mile away though. First letting Quick-Step do the hard pulling and then following Vingegaard's attack without doing much of the work.

If he didn't lose that sprint unexpectedly to Jonas, Pogacar would have had a decent chance of taking a third of the stages in this years Tour. Ridiculous really. But like he said, it's quite a dangerous one, so no point in risking it on the second half of that TT.

I was a little surprised Pogacar didn’t give the win to Vingegaard. Not that I think he should have, I think those calling him greedy are misguided, but it would have been very easy for him to shut them up today.

I do, however, think his braggy power move by taking the front before the finish in order to show off, was unneccessary.

Good to see Vingegaard come back strong today, bodes well for tomorrow. But I think he handled it poor tactically. He didn’t really need more time on Remco. Should have saved himself a little bit more for the finish and gone for the stage.

I was a little surprised Pogacar didn’t give the win to Vingegaard. Not that I think he should have, I think those calling him greedy are misguided, but it would have been very easy for him to shut them up today.

I do, however, think his braggy power move by taking the front before the finish in order to show off, was unneccessary.

Good to see Vingegaard come back strong today, bodes well for tomorrow. But I think he handled it poor tactically. He didn’t really need more time on Remco. Should have saved himself a little bit more for the finish and gone for the stage.

If he doesn’t keep pulling they don’t catch and drop Carapaz, and then the stage win is even less likely. Pogacar didn’t want to relay, so Jonas was always gonna be cooked on the line anyway.

And Pogacars sprint is just a bit of showmanship.

If he doesn’t keep pulling they don’t catch and drop Carapaz, and then the stage win is even less likely. Pogacar didn’t want to relay, so Jonas was always gonna be cooked on the line anyway.

They caught Carapaz and Mas comfortably with what, 2 kilometres left? He didn’t need to ride quite as hard as he did, although it probably wouldn’t have made a difference either way.

They caught Carapaz and Mas comfortably with what, 2 kilometres left? He didn’t need to ride quite as hard as he did, although it probably wouldn’t have made a difference either way.

I don’t think Carapaz was dropped until less than 1 km remained. After Vingegaard forced that, I don’t think there is any way he wins that stage today.

Oh please!

Why is it not “greedy” for a sprinter to win 4-5 stages, but “greedy” for a climber to do so?

What are you talking about? Pogačar had to sprint to secure the victory, the last time he and Jonas went mano a mano in stage 11, Jonas won. Tadej couldn’t take the risk, he had to go on a full sprint, not his fault Jonas was spent.

No need to be butthurt, Jonas did a great tour, he just lost to a superior opponent.

Also, I don't get why Jonas waved Pogi to take over with 500 m to go then. Pogi can only abstain from contesting the stage if he stays behind Vingegaard.

Oh please!

Why is it not “greedy” for a sprinter to win 4-5 stages, but “greedy” for a climber to do so?
Did you read my post? I said I think the critics are misguided, but that I half expected Tadej to hand the stage to Jonas just to shut them up.

Did you read my post? I said I think the critics are misguided, but that I half expected Tadej to hand the stage to Jonas just to shut them up.

Yes, I read it. Implication being he should have gifted the stage to Jonas so that he’d be more popular with the critics. You qualified it by saying it he didn’t have to, it’d have been nice. feck that. It’s a bike race, they’re getting paid to win.

And then Merijn, quoted above, the motherfecker who took the 3 GTs last season dares to cry about Pogacar winning too much?

Also, I don't get why Jonas waved Pogi to take over with 500 m to go then. Pogi can only abstain from contesting the stage if he stays behind Vingegaard.

You don’t get why someone wants second position in a two-up sprint with 500 meters to go?

I mean, it's one of those unwritten rules of GC's in the name of 'honor' and 'sportsmanship' that:

1) You never attack the yellow jersey when they have had a mechanical. See: Entire Peloton got mad at Aru for attacking Froome in 2017 and Porte told everyone to stop riding.

2) You never attack in a mountain stage when someone has suffered a crash uphill that wasn't their fault. See Nibali crashing in 2018, Bardet attacks and immediately stops when he realizes whats happening.

3) You let someone win the stage if you're well clear of the other person in GC and that person has helped you: See Roglic gifted Gaudu

4) You, as the yellow jersey rider, must always allow for breakaways to win some mountain stages. See....every Tour de France/Grand Tour pre covid. It's how the likes of Astana, Sky, etc got good will in the peloton.

You might disagree with these unwritten rules, but I do believe that Pogacar is beginning to break them to an extent and the goodwill towards him and UAE may not last that long.

You don’t get why someone wants second position in a two-up sprint with 500 meters to go?

Jonas Vingegaard: "In some kind of way, I was hoping he would give me the stage win. But I don't blame him at all, I would probably do the same."

So, yes, you can't hope for someone give you the stage win whilst at the same time wanting second position in a two-up sprint with 500 meters to go.

You're either contesting or not.

Y
I mean, it's one of those unwritten rules of GC's in the name of 'honor' and 'sportsmanship' that:

1) You never attack the yellow jersey when they have had a mechanical. See: Entire Peloton got mad at Aru for attacking Froome in 2017 and Porte told everyone to stop riding.

2) You never attack in a mountain stage when someone has suffered a crash uphill that wasn't their fault. See Nibali crashing in 2018, Bardet attacks and immediately stops when he realizes whats happening.

3) You let someone win the stage if you're well clear of the other person in GC and that person has helped you: See Roglic gifted Gaudu

4) You, as the yellow jersey rider, must always allow for breakaways to win some mountain stages. See....every Tour de France/Grand Tour pre covid. It's how the likes of Astana, Sky, etc got good will in the peloton.

You might disagree with these unwritten rules, but I do believe that Pogacar is beginning to break them to an extent and the goodwill towards him and UAE may not last that long.
Yeah, and that's what Zeeman is referring to. It's a fair point, I'm also losing my sympathy for Pogacar. Not that I dislike him, but I feel like someone like that who can win whatever he sets his mind to doesn't need my sympathy - I'd basically root for anyone else.

Not that anyone in cycling cares what a total casual like I think, but anyway! :)

Yeah, and that's what Zeeman is referring to. It's a fair point, I'm also losing my sympathy for Pogacar. Not that I dislike him, but I feel like someone like that who can win whatever he sets his mind to doesn't need my sympathy - I'd basically root for anyone else.

Not that anyone in cycling cares what a total casual like I think, but anyway! :)

Zeeman and Visma can do one. Let's rewind to last year's Stage 20, and let me set the scene for you: Pogacar had lost 7 and half minutes to Jonas in the TT and a mountain stage. Then, he had a few days to recover and wanted to win that last mountain stage, stage 20. The GC was long gone. He attacked again and again and again, but he could never shake Jonas off his wheel. Jonas was always there on his wheel, barely pulling, and when he did, it was like they were on a coffee ride. They reached the finish with a 5-man sprint, which Pogi won, but Jonas went full gas in the sprint even though he was leading by over 7 minutes in GC and didn't need to.

The difference is that Jonas didn’t win—or couldn’t win—but he sure tried his hardest. Honestly, there’s no difference. When these guys are riding against each other, they’re not handing out any gifts.

This is stage 20, last year.
Wiki

Jonas Vingegaard: "In some kind of way, I was hoping he would give me the stage win. But I don't blame him at all, I would probably do the same."

So, yes, you can't hope for someone give you the stage win whilst at the same time wanting second position in a two-up sprint with 500 meters to go.

You're either contesting or not.

That’s not actually how it works. If someone wants to gift a stage, it’s quite common to take the lead-out so it’s easier for the other guy to win it and it looks more natural.

That being said, the criticism of Pogacar yesterday is silly. Gifting the stage win to his biggest GT competitor would be insulting, and unlike other days he was not the reason the breakaway didn’t win, since it was Vingegaard pulling them back.

There is no reason for pogacar to gift the stage to a double tour winner, and nearest rival, who has already beaten him to win a stage earlier in the tour.

Pogacar and UAE are pathetic, not because they should've gifted it to Vingegaard (the winner of the last two editions lmao) but because they've repeatedly said they'll let breaks win it but then pin them at 4 minutes.
But I guess from a perspective of cheats everyone else is also always cheating so it makes sense that they don't give a feck.

Every time we see extraordinary performances we're asked to believe it's down to a change in training or diet or something else. He's absolutely destroyed the field in two GTs in a row (with the caveat that the Giro had a weaker field). What history teaches us is that cheats can't help but blow everyone else away. Subtlety isn't their strong point.

Pretty sure Pogacar could ride another three weeks. Once again he doesn't even look like he put in any effort after destroying everyone else.

Pogacar took around 40 seconds on Vingegaard on the down hill!

Let’s hope he has some better competition next year. Otherwise Cavendish may actually have to worry about his record.

A few interesting stats mentioned on commentary today.

1. Pogacar and Vingegaard are separated by 1 minute and 25 seconds in anggregate across the last four Tdf’s (in Pogacars favor).

2. They also have the record for most 1/2 finishes in the races history. Today makes it 12 times, I believe. Pogacar has taken 9 to Vingegaards 3 of those.

Pogi is a killer, no filler. Double Tour winner, record number of podiums (6 in each) and looked comfortable throughout the Tour.

The best rider of this generation

The time trial finish from Monte Carlo to Nice was more enjoyable than the traditional rush for the line in Paris. The last 8 stages have been outstanding for the racing and the scenery, Pyrenees - Provence - maritime Alps - Cote d'Azur.

To add to Mike Smalling's stats, Pogacar is apparently the first rider in 94 years to win the last 3 stages of the tour.

Last edited:
I wonder where the Danes are at bashing Evenepoel after he lost time in that one stage in the Tour.

Incredible finish for the TDF Femmes race up Alp D'Huez, only 4 seconds between first and second, with 3rd place only another 6 seconds back. Anyone of the 3 top 3 could have won in the last km. Woman's cycling has really come on leaps and bounds in the last 5 years.