Cucurella at Chelsea

Argument could be made for player of the tournament.

Gary Neville at the start of the Euros:

"The Spanish defence has got a lot of experience now but there’s something just missing from Spain that makes you feel like they’re going to go all the way. And I have to say, Cucurella being at left-back probably is another example of why we think that."

To be fair, had Gaya and Balde been fit, Cucurella may not have even made the squad. There was also a good argument for Grimaldo starting ahead of him.

He’s been great though. Consistent and reliable. Knows his limitations and plays sensibly. Probably his position to lose now.

Last edited:
Let Muani get ahead of him to score for France. So its pretty crazy to think he's been above most of his Spain side.

That's an insane take - you're blaming Cucurella for Kolo Muani getting away even though he's obviously being marked by Laporte??

Was brilliant, only Chelsea fans would know why he seems out of sorts in the league but the pace of international football is likely a telling factor, it's why Maguire has atypically been England's best defender but more exposed in domestic competition.

That's an insane take - you're blaming Cucurella for Kolo Muani getting away even though he's obviously being marked by Laporte??

Yes, he moves away from him. Thats why you posted a still from before the goal instead of the video where he moves in between the two players which Cucurella should not allow him to get goalside of him.

Was brilliant, only Chelsea fans would know why he seems out of sorts in the league but the pace of international football is likely a telling factor, it's why Maguire has atypically been England's best defender but more exposed in domestic competition.

He's been arguably the best left back in the PL since the calendar flipped to 2024. When he has license to go forward and press in midfield he's a different calibre of player - Chelsea's form turned around when he started inverting into midfield as a passer and high presser.

Yes, he moves away from him. Thats why you posted a still from before the goal instead of the video where he moves in between the two players which Cucurella should not allow him to get goalside of him.

He moves away from him because Kante is making a late run to the far post. Also the point remains that it's obvious RKM was Laporte's responsibility and was for the entirety of the buildup. Again utterly bizarre critique here.

City wanted him for a reason. He's an excellent player.

Suffers from the same issues at Chelsea that many of our own players suffered from at United last season: the awful and dysfunctional environment and system. You put Cucurella into the current Manchester City side, and he will play like he has been playing for Spain at this tournament. If Chelsea's same issues continue into the next season, Cucurella will look like a bad player again. It's that simple.

Will suit Maresca’s system to a tee in that inverted fullback role that you see both Pep and Arteta deploy with the likes of Zinchenko. He was already MUCH improved at the end of the PL season but should now be even better when he comes back from an excellent tournament.

Most people probably forgot that he was dealing with off the pitch stuff recently that he says really rattled him and his family. His house was burglarized. That surely effected his focus on the pitch.

He was excellent the last half of this season when we finally allowed him to play his position.

I think he was Chelsea’s highest rated player over that period on average. Won motm several times.

I thought Saka could have done more against him. Still think he's susceptible but he's had a good tournament

People keep going on about him but...it wasn't that outstanding. Neat and tidy, nothing wow about his game. I think most of the reason he looked good is Williams ahead of him was scaring teams half to death. He is the real standout and would be giving a left back a hell of a platform to ping it about, they're all focused on Williams.

He had a great tournament but I think that's by his own standards rather than just generally being great.

Saka had the beating of him tonight and I've no idea what he was playing at for the Palmer goal.

Great assist more than made up for all that though.

I thought he was alright. Their midfield were exceptional and won them the game though, as you'd expect really I suppose. Can't believe him running into Saka and flopping to the floor got him a foul though, the ref was a bit shit.

Been very impressed with how he looks in this Spain side, I wouldn't even say the final, just in general from the first match of Spain.

Great tournament but I think his teammates really masked his limited abilities

Gary Neville at the start of the Euros:

"The Spanish defence has got a lot of experience now but there’s something just missing from Spain that makes you feel like they’re going to go all the way. And I have to say, Cucurella being at left-back probably is another example of why we think that."
phdahxblikcd1.jpeg

Had this in his drafts for a month

phdahxblikcd1.jpeg

Kind of love how he and his wife are digging Neville out this tournament.

There is always a quote by an English pundit which comes back to haunt them. :lol:

He was really good this tournament. One of Spain’s better players. He was caught up field for the Palmer goal though but learnt his lesson and provided that awesome assist.
I saw him a few times last season for Chelsea and he was not half as good. From others here it sounds like he got better in the latter part of the league’s season. Will be interesting to see how he does this coming season.

Kind of love how he and his wife are digging Neville out this tournament.

There is always a quote by an English pundit which comes back to haunt them. :lol:

It's good that players return the favor. These pundits go way over the top criticizing players.

He said this player will be the reason why they don't win, now he was arguably the best LB in the euro, won 7/7 game and assisted the winning goal in finals. What a story.

He was the best full back in the tournament. Shaw was when he came on against us and was good the first 45 minutes in the final. On the top of my head, i cant think of a fullback who played better than Cucurella.

Théo wasnt good, Frimpong hardly played, Dumfries didnt look good.

Best left back in the tournament and proved with championship winning assist. He kept saka under control in the final.

Will be interesting to see him coming PL season.

He was the best full back in the tournament. Shaw was when he came on against us and was good the first 45 minutes in the final. On the top of my head, i cant think of a fullback who played better than Cucurella.

Théo wasnt good, Frimpong hardly played, Dumfries didnt look good.

I thought Mendes was very good. Excellent driving runs up the pitch.

phdahxblikcd1.jpeg

This type of firing back at pundits is kind of pathetic, and becoming increasingly common these days. It shows up a bit of a weak mentality.

Neville is a tedious drama queen sometimes but he's just doing his job - what's he meant to do, never criticise teams or individuals?

More and more impressed by his resilience & attitude in the face of adversity, be it at Chelsea or in this tourno. Yeah, he's prone to antics, but I can't help but love the little guy.

The German yellow press waged a trademark moronic campaign against him, echoed in the perma-booing by knucklehead fans. He answered well, on & off the pitch. Him & Carvajal were a strong FB duo and instrumental to Spain's victory.

Last edited:
This type of firing back at pundits is kind of pathetic, and becoming increasingly common these days. It shows up a bit of a weak mentality.

Neville is a tedious drama queen sometimes but he's just doing his job - what's he meant to do, never criticise teams or individuals?

I don't think it's pathetic or weak. He's well within his rights to snap back after being targeted individually by Neville as a weak link. First and foremost he's done it with his performances on his pitch by being one of the players of the tournament and getting the assist for the winning goal in the final. He then has a cheeky dig back without personally criticising Neville.

Criticism of performances is one thing, but to single out a player before a ball has been kicked and say he’ll be the reason they won’t win is pretty shit really.

There's criticism and there's flat out slagging off a player before a game was even played.

I didn't really care that Neville does this but it's also fine when the player puts a cheeky Tweet as a clapback.

He wasn't out of sorts in the league last season though.