FA Premier League

Crystal Palace vs Manchester United

Selhurst Park

Kick-off
Sat, 21 September 2024 @ 5:30pm BST
Status

Not Yet Started

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Depends how good we do defensively. Eze can definitely cause us problems. Think we have enough in attack to score a few though.
    I actually feel good about Mazraoui going up against Eze. Really intrigued to see how this game plays out. There can be no excuses giving the team we have at out disposal. Literally two starting 11s apart from the fullback positions.

Don't think he'll go Rashford as the centre forward, we'll need hold up place to sustain attacking pressure and that just isn't his strong suit.

I actually feel good about Mazraoui going up against Eze. Really intrigued to see how this game plays out. There can be no excuses giving the team we have at out disposal. Literally two starting 11s apart from the fullback positions.

Don't think he'll go Rashford as the centre forward, we'll need hold up place to sustain attacking pressure and that just isn't his strong suit.
    I agree. Should be diallo, Zirkzee, Rashford. Garnacho can come on for either Diallo or Rashford depending on who the worse performer is. I’m intrigued to see what midfield he chooses. We haven’t had this luxury for a while of being able to choose different midfielders and different combinations depending on opponent. I’d personally like to see Ugarte, Mainoo and Bruno. Feel like Ugarte will take Mainoo to a new level.

This is the danger of cup competitions luring it's into a false sense of optimism. An early league cup win over a league one side isn't a step forward for us.

I'm just concerned that the cup win is going to be sufficient to mask another poor run of games in the league. That people will argue he needs more time because 7-0 against Barnsley somehow proves something.

We were a mid-table side last season and we've started this year with form consistent with a mid-table side. The fact we might knock out a Barnsley or a Luton or a Coventry in a cup game on our road to achieving mid-table mediocrity again, needs to stop being up-sold as representation of progress.

We go into this game with a record of played four, lost two.
    Don't think I have seen anyone mention this. No fan is that blinkered. The most people have said, is that it's a pleasant contrast to what we did against similar opposition last year. It went as well as could be expected and should be a good confidence and momentum builder. All of this seems reasonable to me.

Most analytics say to play for the win. Since a win is worth 3 points and a draw is only worth 1, when tied late if you play an aggressive strategy that leads to half the time winning and half the time losing you'll average 1.5 points a game. Thus earning half a point more on average per game than a draw.

Another way to think about it is you could win 1 road game and lose 2, and you'll come out with the same points as 3 draws. So you should take more risks late to try to get a win, even if it also increases the chance of a loss (as long as increase is not too drastic).

Idk if this is what's informing ETH's thinking, but if so I think he's spot on. Draws are pretty much a bad outcome for a team that aspires for top 4.
    Erm…

The other 50% your opponents get 0.5 points more also which negates the benefit.

This is the danger of cup competitions luring it's into a false sense of optimism. An early league cup win over a league one side isn't a step forward for us.

I'm just concerned that the cup win is going to be sufficient to mask another poor run of games in the league. That people will argue he needs more time because 7-0 against Barnsley somehow proves something.

We were a mid-table side last season and we've started this year with form consistent with a mid-table side. The fact we might knock out a Barnsley or a Luton or a Coventry in a cup game on our road to achieving mid-table mediocrity again, needs to stop being up-sold as representation of progress.

You'd expect Utd to comfortably beat Barnsley (maybe not 7-0 given games like Coventry), but the concern for me is that we were getting outplayed by Southampton for 30 minutes. It was like the missed pen caused a complete change in mood and performance for both teams.

My hope is that the positivity of the team having two decent wins under their belt gives them some momentum to turn up and really go at Palace. Given the patchy pre-season with a chunk of first-teamers not being there I also hope that the team will gel more over these games, and that this is the actual pre-season they need to bed in.

Could have ideally done with a home fixture to help cement the positive bounce, CP away is a potential banana skin that could easily erase all the momentum, I am not confident at all especially if they score early

People know that the Barnsley game means nothing in terms of progress. But when’s the last time we actually scored 7? We’ve played league 2 teams over the years and not scored that many. The best thing about this result is hopefully it gives our forwards confidence to keep on scoring. Plus the clean sheets are helping our defence confidence. So every win and good performance is just a boost. As for the losing 2, I’d be worried if we lost the 2 games against an Ipswich and Southampton. We lost against a decent Brighton team and a Liverpool team that’s in front of us in terms of progress. The palace game will prove where we’re at

Big game this that could help shape our season. No excuses we have the players to do the job I expect 3 points

Wish to see Mainoo in midfield as I think we'll need pace. Their defence is prone.

Hopefully a win.

Mainoo isn't exactly pacey, is he? He has quick feet and agility to get out of tight spaces but his pace to cover ground isn't that great.

I think Ugarte will start out of necessity but I imagine he will struggle due to lack of match sharpness. Will be a tricky game.

Mainoo isn't exactly pacey, is he? He has quick feet and agility to get out of tight spaces but his pace to cover ground isn't that great.

I think Ugarte will start out of necessity but I imagine he will struggle due to lack of match sharpness. Will be a tricky game.
    I think acceleration is a big problem for Mainoo. When he's in full flight he's fine but those first few steps are so sluggish

I feel we are slowly getting better and with the new players now learning how to play in the team and improving it, I feel we can win this. 1-3 Utd.

I think acceleration is a big problem for Mainoo. When he's in full flight he's fine but those first few steps are so sluggish

That's true, for example I feel he tends to lose his man/get dribbled past when he's starting from a mostly static position. Precisely due to to that. He makes good interceptions though once he's on the move.

He probably should be playing generally higher up the pitch than he has been.

That's true, for example I feel he tends to lose his man/get dribbled past when he's starting from a mostly static position. Precisely due to to that. He makes good interceptions though once he's on the move.

He probably should be playing generally higher up the pitch than he has been.

Hopefully Ugarte allows him to do that

Mainoo can be roughed up, hustled off his stride. He’s light and small. He’ll toughen up

You have to capitalise on Rashfords form and his link up play with Garnacho. Amad is a necessity given his movement and ability, so the front 3 picks itself. Ugarte and Mainoo is the obvious midfield partnership but Kobbie need to make sure he's not pushing up too much and leaving Ugarte isolated. The defence us getting settled now and it seems like none of the injury worries proved to be anything of concern. I really like the structure of this team. Pace, strength, fluidity. We can literally attack with 4/5 players and still keep a solid base at the back. Should put 3 minimum past Palace.

Onana​

Mazraoui De Ligt Martinez Dalot

Ugarte Mainoo​

Bruno​

Amad Rashford Garnacho​

I'd go with the same team that played against Southampton, but with Ugarte coming in for Eriksen. Feels unfair to Eriksen and Garnacho, who have done well the last few games, but we have another game on Wednesday, they can both start then as well as provide good options from the bench, if we need to change the game. It does make me wonder, that with Hoijlund and Mount back training, could our bench on Saturday, be the strongest we've had (when playing a full starting XI) in a while?

Hoijlund
    Garnacho
    Mount
    Eriksen
    Casemiro
    Maguire

I'd go with the same team that played against Southampton, but with Ugarte coming in for Eriksen. Feels unfair to Eriksen and Garnacho, who have done well the last few games, but we have another game on Wednesday, they can both start then as well as provide good options from the bench, if we need to change the game. It does make me wonder, that with Hoijlund and Mount back training, could our bench on Saturday, be the strongest we've had (when playing a full starting XI) in a while?

Hoijlund
    Garnacho
    Mount
    Eriksen
    Casemiro
    Maguire

Looks like Mount not quite ready yet, perhaps they have pencilled him in for Twente instead

Erm…

The other 50% your opponents get 0.5 points more also which negates the benefit.
    Huh?? No it doesn't. There are 20 teams in the Prem. Most of the time are games aren't with teams right next to us in the table. We're far better off worrying about maximizing our own points, even though this strategy occasionally also gives an opponent extra points.

Really tough test at a ground where we got spanked 4-0 five months ago. Under the lights again, they’ll be up for it. Players need to prove a point from last season.

2-2.

I feel hopeful for this game. With Mount and Hojlund back (as well as Lindelof and Malacia back in training), I feel this is the strongest squad we've had in some time. No excuses for EtH!

Onana
    Mazraoui De Ligt Martinez* Dalot
    Ugarte Casemiro
    Diallo Bruno Rashford
    Zirkzee​

Hope to see Garnacho, Hojlund and Mainoo come off the bench.

* Maguire in for Martinez if he's not ready to start.

Palace defence been really fortunate against Leicester last week. Hopefully they can be done for pace Garna and rashford confidence really high atm

Fluid front three of Garnacho, Rashford and Amad. All three can easily switch into any of the front three roles. That's how I'd start it myself.

I do like Zirksee though.

Garnacho scored at Southampton after coming off the bench and then had 4 G/A vs Burnley and it's still good chances he won't start tomorrow. Nice to have that kind of competition for places atm.

Fluid front three of Garnacho, Rashford and Amad. All three can easily switch into any of the front three roles. That's how I'd start it myself.

I do like Zirksee though.
    I think Zirkzee may be needed in this game. Rashfords hold up play isn’t that great. Our front 3 looked quality against Barnsley because they was very brave and came and attacked us. If Glasner watched that match or the highlights then he’ll know he can’t afford for his defence to be high.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Crystal Palace 1:3 Man Utd
  • 7% Crystal Palace 1:1 Man Utd
  • 6% Crystal Palace 2:1 Man Utd
  • 4% Crystal Palace 0:1 Man Utd
  • 4% Crystal Palace 0:3 Man Utd
  • 4% Crystal Palace 2:0 Man Utd
  • 3% Crystal Palace 2:3 Man Utd
  • 3% Crystal Palace 2:2 Man Utd
  • 2% Crystal Palace 3:1 Man Utd
  • 1% Crystal Palace 4:0 Man Utd
  • 1% Crystal Palace 5:1 Man Utd
  • 1% Crystal Palace 3:0 Man Utd
  • 1% Crystal Palace 1:4 Man Utd
Compiled from 156 predictions.
Show more results Score Predictions League Table

Your Lineup Prediction

Closes 13 hours from now
Lineup prediction

Can you read the manager's mind and predict the starting XI and substitutes?