Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how he will perform in the World Cup. If he drags Portugal single-handedly to the final, what do we say to that?
That's very unlikely to happen. Most likely I think they will get to QF, at best the SF. Still would be a good achievement though, but all the attention will be on the winners.

I wonder how he will perform in the World Cup. If he drags Portugal single-handedly to the final, what do we say to that?

I´d say we are a world class striker away from that. And that striker isn´t appearing soon as there are no real prospects in the youth ranks. We need to get a Diego Costa like Spain. Just compare our team to Argentina´s and you can see his handicap. We do have a better Manager than them though.

That's very unlikely to happen. Most likely I think they will get to QF, at best the SF.

Yep. The fact we have no decent striker is a serious limitation. I think we will make it past the group stages, everything else is a bonus.

I´d say we are a world class striker away from that. And that striker isn´t appearing soon as there are no real prospects in the youth ranks. We need to get a Diego Costa like Spain. Just compare our team to Argentina´s and you can see his handicap. We do have a better Manager than them though.

How's that Nelson Oliviera from the last Euro come along?

How's that Nelson Oliviera from the last Euro come along?

Benfica loaned him to Rennes where he scored 8 goals in 26 matches. Don´t think he is the answer but let´s see if Benfica recalls him next season. Won´t be easy for him since Benfica is more keen on Argentinian and Serbian players.

myths that ronaldo didn't perform at the highest level for his country is not true imo.

at 19 he was one of the best players for his country at euro 2004 and almost won it for them. 2 years later he was one of the best young performers in germany 2006.

world cup 2010 wasn't his best show but i thought he did very well at euro 2012, and portugal only lost on penalties to eventual winner spain in the semis.

it is never going to be easy for ronaldo to lead portugal, given the players they got, they are not as strong as spain, germany, brazil or even argentina but you just never know. ronaldo must do well to get portugal into the QF or even the SF. if he lead portugal to the final then he would have to put a hell of a 4 weeks performance we all know that. not impossible but is going to be super tough.

myths that ronaldo didn't perform at the highest level for his country is not true imo.

at 19 he was one of the best players for his country at euro 2004 and almost won it for them. 2 years later he was one of the best young performers in germany 2006.

world cup 2010 wasn't his best show but i thought he did very well at euro 2012, and portugal only lost on penalties to eventual winner spain in the semis.

it is never going to be easy for ronaldo to lead portugal, given the players they got, they are not as strong as spain, germany, brazil or even argentina but you just never know. ronaldo must do well to get portugal into the QF or even the SF. if he lead portugal to the final then he would have to put a hell of a 4 weeks performance we all know that. not impossible but is going to be super tough.
True. Imo he has had a better international career than messi so far.

How many other players have scored 50 or more goals in four seasons in a row? The likes of Eusébio, Muller, Pelé etc. didn't play as many games in a season so didn't have as much chance to rack up those numbers, but he must be close to setting a record for that. Messi would likely have managed it if not for injuries this season but it's now looking like a record Ronaldo'll hold that Messi will never match in his career. I can't think of many others who would be in with a chance of that record besides some of the Eastern European players from the 30s/40s.

How many other players have scored 50 or more goals in four seasons in a row? The likes of Eusébio, Muller, Pelé etc. didn't play as many games in a season so didn't have as much chance to rack up those numbers, but he must be close to setting a record for that. Messi would likely have managed it if not for injuries this season but it's now looking like a record Ronaldo'll hold that Messi will never match in his career. I can't think of many others who would be in with a chance of that record besides some of the Eastern European players from the 30s/40s.

Absolutely amazing figures. Would have been brilliant if Ronaldo would have been capable of playing in an "all-time great" club as well during this time like Messi has with Barcelona.

He didn't do 'very well' at Euro 2012 at all. He was good against Holland but awful against Germany, Spain and Denmark.

Against the Czech's he scored the decisive goal but he took selfishness to new heights. Spent the entire game shooting from absolutely anywhere instead of passing until finally one went in.

Ronaldo always has that side of his game where his selfishness can be to the detriment of the team, especially in big games but for Real 95% of the times he scores anyway so you can overlook it. For Portugal he goes into total overdrive with it and in the last two tournaments he's not produced to goals to back it up.

From goal.com. Hopefully he will be fine for the final

Carlo Ancelotti has eased fears over the fitness of Cristiano Ronaldo, revealing that the problem that forced the forward off in Wednesday's 1-1 draw at Valladolid is "not serious".
The Portugal international lasted just nine minutes of the game at the Jose Zorrilla, sparking fears that he had suffered a recurrence of his recent hamstring problem.
However, Ancelotti has soothed initial concerns that Ronaldo could end up missing the conclusion of the Liga season and the Champions League final against Atletico Madrid on May 24.
"We'll see in the next few days how Cristiano is, but it's not a serious problem," the Blancos boss told reporters.
"He was not comfortable, though, so I changed him.
"I don't think Pepe or [Angel] Di Maria [who also picked up knocks] have serious problems either. But we'll see."
Ancelotti was more perturbed by the way in which Madrid threw away a one-goal lead against Valladolid to leave their Liga title hopes in tatters.
Sergio Ramos had given the visitors the lead with a fine free kick but Juan Ignacio Martinez's men snatched a crucial point for their survival bid thanks to an 85th-minute equaliser from Humberto Osorio.
"We controlled the game for 70 minutes but then we lost it in the last 20," Ancelotti lamented.
"It was not a question of attitude. Iker [Casillas, Madrid's goalkeeper] had not had a save to make.
"We defended too deep and then defended a set-piece poorly and lost the game."

I hope he is fit. It'd be shocking if he couldn't play in the final after the superb campaign he has had.

I completely forgot that he wasn't playing either. If Ronaldo misses as well I'd have Atletico as favourites.
The way they are playing atm I would have them as favourites anyway. They haven't lost to us in the league this year and they beat both barca and Chelsea. Madrid are only favourites by status.

The way they are playing atm I would have them as favourites anyway. They haven't lost to us in the league this year and they beat both barca and Chelsea. Madrid are only favourites by status.

And experience. SO many winners in that Real squad. I just think they'll settle quicker.

He didn't do 'very well' at Euro 2012 at all. He was good against Holland but awful against Germany, Spain and Denmark.

Against the Czech's he scored the decisive goal but he took selfishness to new heights. Spent the entire game shooting from absolutely anywhere instead of passing until finally one went in.

Ronaldo always has that side of his game where his selfishness can be to the detriment of the team, especially in big games but for Real 95% of the times he scores anyway so you can overlook it. For Portugal he goes into total overdrive with it and in the last two tournaments he's not produced to goals to back it up.
Potugal has progressed to the semi of Euro 2012 because of Ronaldo heroic you idiot.

If you have watched the euro you would have known that Portugal was on the verge of going out in the group stage if they can't beat Netherlands in their final group match.They played more as a team and Ronaldo took at less 'selfish' role from their first 2 games. It's after that when Ronaldo decided to take a more central role due to lack of quality in the team they started to beat their stronger opponents and progress to the semi, all by Ronaldo winning goals, before lossing out to the eventual winner on penalties.

Potugal has progressed to the semi of Euro 2012 because of Ronaldo heroic you idiot.

Criticise the post not the poster

If you have watched the euro you would have known that Portugal was on the verge of going out in the group stage if they can't beat Netherlands in their final group match.They played more as a team and Ronaldo took at less 'selfish' role from their first 2 games.

I already said he was really good vs Holland.

It's after that when Ronaldo decided to take a more central role due to lack of quality in the team they started to beat their stronger opponents and progress to the semi,

Started to beat stronger opponents? The only other team they played was the Czech Republic, who are awful and nowhere near Portugal's level and in that game Ronaldo did nothing at all but shoot, all game, every time he got the ball. If anything he was a hindrance to his teammates and they'd have won sooner if he wasn't being so selfish.

all by Ronaldo winning goals, before lossing out to the eventual winner on penalties.

Where Ronaldo had a poor game, like he almost always does against top sides for Portugal.

Started to beat stronger opponents? The only other team they played was the Czech Republic, who are awful and nowhere near Portugal's level and in that game Ronaldo did nothing at all but shoot, all game, every time he got the ball. If anything he was a hindrance to his teammates and they'd have won sooner if he wasn't being so selfish.

Where Ronaldo had a poor game, like he almost always does against top sides for Portugal.

That's totally nonsense. Portugal was always the underdogs. No way you can expect them to beat reigning world champion Spain and no way you can blame him for not winning that match for them.
Holland was obviously stronger than Portugal. Ronaldo also won the match against Czech with his winning goal in the match. All praises from the press. Saying he is a hindrance to the team is truly idiotic and clueless.

Fact is Portugal has overachieved in Euro 2012 and Ronaldo was by far their best player in the tournament.

Last edited:

Yeah he was very wasteful against Germany, Spain and Denmark. And against the Danes Coentrao got shafted having to deal with a full-back and a winger. In the semi-final he had several chances to knock out Spain but lacked the same ruthlessness we see for Real.

He was watching the rest of the match from the sidelines, that clip showed him go down the tunnel before (but only just) the final whistle went.

Not sure why that means he doesn't like them/they don't like him, but anyway...

That's totally nonsense. Portugal was always the underdogs. No way you can expect them to beat reigning world champion Spain and no way you can blame him for not winning that match for them.
Holland was obviously stronger than Portugal. Ronaldo also won the match against Czech with his winning goal in the match. All praises from the press. Saying he is a hindrance to the team is truly idiotic and clueless.

Fact is Portugal has overachieved in Euro 2012 and Ronaldo was by far their best player in the tournament.

I agree that you can't expect them to beat Spain and compared to the top NTs they are indeed underdogs, but keep in mind... Since Cristiano's debut for them in 2003 they've consistently been a Top-10 ranked NT (save for 2008, I believe), reaching an EC Final, WC and EC Semi-Finals and basically making the knock-out stages of every major international competition they've been in. They're incredibly hard to beat when they play against those top NTs as well.

Re: Holland. Maybe on paper, but in reality they were atrocious at that tourney. Easily the worst team in the competition, and Portugal faced them after they'd lost their first two games and absolutely had to all out attack.

I don't think Portugal overachieved really (as I said on paper with their group okay sure, but the Netherlands were hopeless, not even able to score v Denmark), unless you want to claim they weren't favourites v the Czech Republic?

I agree that you can't expect them to beat Spain and compared to the top NTs they are indeed underdogs, but keep in mind... Since Cristiano's debut for them in 2003 they've consistently been a Top-10 ranked NT (save for 2008, I believe), reaching an EC Final, WC and EC Semi-Finals and basically making the knock-out stages of every major international competition they've been in. They're incredibly hard to beat when they play against those top NTs as well.

Re: Holland. Maybe on paper, but in reality they were atrocious at that tourney. Easily the worst team in the competition, and Portugal faced them after they'd lost their first two games and absolutely had to all out attack.

I don't think Portugal overachieved really (as I said on paper with their group okay sure, but the Netherlands were hopeless, not even able to score v Denmark), unless you want to claim they weren't favourites v the Czech Republic?

If you think Portugal is the top 4 team in Europe then I have nothing more to say.

And if you mind to look back at the FIFA ranking in June 2012 before the Euro started, Netherland was actually rank as 4th in the world, they simply underachieved in Euro 2012.
Portugal was ranked 10th, but there were 6 European teams with higher ranking (not including Italy and France)

Yeah he was very wasteful against Germany, Spain and Denmark. And against the Danes Coentrao got shafted having to deal with a full-back and a winger. In the semi-final he had several chances to knock out Spain but lacked the same ruthlessness we see for Real.

You sound like he was expected to take every chance and beat any opponents he came across (even the reigning world champion), otherwise he should be branded as failure.

Okay, this is old, but I've just seen it and its funny. :lol:

If you think Portugal is the top 4 team in Europe then I have nothing more to say.

And if you mind to look back at the FIFA ranking in June 2012 before the Euro started, Netherland was actually rank as 4th in the world, they simply underachieved in Euro 2012.
Portugal was ranked 10th, but there were 6 European teams with higher ranking (not including Italy and France)
If you watched holland for the tournament, they were by a distance the worst defensive team in the EURO's. That backline of Heitinga-Mathisjen was a disaster, and the defensive line they put out against portugal, williems-mathijsen-vlaar-wiel was a joke.

early on i was more impressed with nani then ronaldo for that tournament, unbelievable but true in my opinion, he was portugal's man of the match against denmark where ronaldo didn't score any goals and didn't make any key passes and only had 1 dribble. Portugal narrowly won 3-2.. thanks to a Varela super sub goal in the 87th minute. Ronaldo wasn't involved in any of the goals and created nothing.
Nani on the other hand was superb.

True Ronaldo scored 2 against Netherlands, but honestly i find it extremely generous to consider that a feat of any kind... that dutch defence was disastrous. Just awful. And true he was very very good against the czech republic, but really, that's a team with no defence again.

Quick, someone off the top of their head name the Czech defensive line for that game.

No answers?

I don't blame you, it was composed of selassie-kadlec-sivok-limbersky. Their respective club teams? slovan liberec-bayer leversukken-beskitas-victoria plzen. I can't give huge respect to a team with Nani-Moutinho-Ronaldo managing to be effective against that defence.

They couldn't do much against Germany, and they couldn't do much against Spain, the only two teams that they faced with respectable defences. It's harsh to blame anything on ronaldo but also naive to ignore that ultimately, he couldn't do anything against well composed, quality defences.

To be honest the alternatives were passing to a useless Postiga.

According to my Championship Manager 4 save, Fabio Paim should be ready to step up for Portugal and take the load off Ronaldo.

Are people actually saying Ronaldo was poor in euro 2012? Are you kidding? That's just stupid, he was brilliant throughout, carried Portugal and if I recall, he hit the bar and almost won the game against Spain in the semi's, where Portugal played better then Spain in but then lost on penalties where Ronaldo was waiting to take the 5th one. He had an amazing tournament though, maybe starting slowly in the first game but got better as the tourny went on.

Status
Not open for further replies.