Cristiano Ronaldo - performances 2017/18

Hes simply the best ever IMO he has won every major honor (bar the wc) and has shattered every record. They used to say " which ever one finally wins a major tournament will decide who is better" (between Messi and Ronaldo). He has won the EURO and a back to back CL winner if he wins it and dominates the competition for a 3rd time then I believe the debate truly is dead and buried. Saying that I would like to point out that I respect Messi A lot and he is Top 3 EASY along with Ronaldo. Regardless of a WC win or not its harder to judge Ronaldo on it because he plays for Portugal and the host of talent between them and Argentina has always been bigger. Lastly Ronaldo is a monster he truly is and its a joy to have an era consisting of two monsters of the game like Messi and Ronaldo, When they finally retire we will all realize the luxury it was to watch them.
He's simply not. Judging players based on what they win, when it's an 11-a-side game is moronic.

He's simply not. Judging players based on what they win, when it's an 11-a-side game is moronic.
Best ever IMO in other words for me. I would place him top 3 or top 5 easy if I'm being unbiased. Now in terms of being better then Messi? Absolutely no doubt in my mind it is VERY close though if lets say on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best for me Ronaldo is a 10 and Messi is a 9.9 it is that close but in the end its just obviously Ronaldo. Messi can not carry a team the way he does.

Best ever IMO in other words for me. I would place him top 3 or top 5 easy if I'm being unbiased. Now in terms of being better then Messi? Absolutely no doubt in my mind it is VERY close though if lets say on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best for me Ronaldo is a 10 and Messi is a 9.9 it is that close but in the end its just obviously Ronaldo. Messi can not carry a team the way he does.

He's in the top 10 for me but outside of goalscoring he just isn't exceptional at anything to qualify as the best ever, never mind contend for it.

You're forgetting he had a great deal of involvement in the winner.

4 key passes, hit the post, 2nd highest amount of successful dribbles from either side. Just before he scored he put a diving header wide too, in the run up to that chance he won a brilliant header against two PSG players from a long ball to start the move.

He's in the top 10 for me but outside of goalscoring he just isn't exceptional at anything to qualify as the best ever, never mind contend for it.
As I said he is in the top 5 for me he is that X factor on a team. Are there guys with more talent per say? sure I believe it but talent alone does not make you better then someone else he's just incredible in more ways then one.

Ronaldo is one of the best of "the best of their generation" type players. Players like Cruyff, Zidane, Ronaldo. Players that were phenomenal and the best of that generation.

But players like Messi, Maradona, Pele transcend generations. They are a level above.

BS, the teams Ronaldo plays for carry him far more than the teams Messi plays for carry him.

Ronaldo gets passed put on a platter for him, Messi has to start the build up from the middle of the pitch. Ronaldo without service doesn’t do match, he’s a phenomenal poacher and there is nothing wrong with that.

Messi still has to do everything for both Barcelona and Argentina

As I said he is in the top 5 for me he is that X factor on a team. Are there guys with more talent per say? sure I believe it but talent alone does not make you better then someone else he's just incredible in more ways then one.
What X factor? At the moment he isn't doing anything that different from Ruud in his prime. He is almost exclusively a finsher that pretty much depends exclusively on service.

As I said he is in the top 5 for me he is that X factor on a team. Are there guys with more talent per say? sure I believe it but talent alone does not make you bette
Ronaldo is one of the best of "the best of their generation" type players. Players like Cruyff, Zidane, Ronaldo. Players that were phenomenal and the best of that generation.

But players like Messi, Maradona, Pele transcend generations. They are a level above.
You cant not include Ronaldo in that list when in this generation which he has shared with Messi he has Matched him the whole way through in everything and if we are talking accomplishments he has bettered Messi (so far) and its not just "goals" if you look at the assists record Ronaldo is only 40 behind Messi all time.

BS, the teams Ronaldo plays for carry him far more than the teams Messi plays for carry him.

Ronaldo gets passed put on a platter for him, Messi has to start the build up from the middle of the pitch. Ronaldo without service doesn’t do match, he’s a phenomenal poacher and there is nothing wrong with that.

Messi has had More talent on both Barcelona and Argentina especially Argentina if you go off of stats alone they are like for like.

What X factor? At the moment he isn't doing anything that different from Ruud in his prime. He is almost exclusively a finsher that pretty much depends exclusively on service.
He is more of a clutch player then Messi is and he shows it time and time again.

BS, the teams Ronaldo plays for carry him far more than the teams Messi plays for carry him./QUOTE]

the one is playing as striker and the other one as offensive midfielder?

it's his job on the pitch. Ronaldo is dropping deep often enough, he introduced many attacks today too and then sprinting into the penalty box. that's the difference, Messi will still stay deep and will be behind the penalty box.

Ronaldo as left wing in his best age was completely different too, not only "poacher". He is carrying Portugal and Real against big teams often enough.

It's crazy that he is 33 and still has the quality.

You cant not include Ronaldo in that list when in this generation which he has shared with Messi he has Matched him the whole way through in everything and if we are talking accomplishments he has bettered Messi (so far) and its not just "goals" if you look at the assists record Ronaldo is only 40 behind Messi all time.
Almost all of Ronaldos assists are square passes after cleraring the defence. Gerd Muller also had the highest assist for Bayern in his prime but noone here will say he is a creative genius.

This is why stats tell littlr. Watch the gamees and its obvious. Ronaldo waits around the box, gets a defence splitting pass then squares the ball or crosses.

Messi takes out 3 lines with one pass.

Messi has had More talent on both Barcelona and Argentina especially Argentina if you go off of stats alone they are like for like.

I can agree that he has more talent on Argentina, but check out Argentina’s record when Messi doesn’t play, they win less than 30% of their games. The team just fits together very poorly.

You put Ronaldo instead of Messi on that Argentina team and they don’t get to the World Cup final, he wouldn’t get any service from that shambolic midfield.

On the other hand Portugal can win a Euro final without Ronaldo on the pitch. That speaks volumes.

Of course, if we are talking about sports, there arguments are normally based around accomplishments. But the argument cannot be quantitative, it is qualitative. There is an transcendental aura around Messi. There is something intangible. Messi is the sublime.

I don't think a few people understand how this works. You talk shit from September to February, now's the time to shut up.

That's pretty good :lol:

You just know Ronaldo will score a hat-trick or something vs another European giant in the quarters.

He is more of a clutch player then Messi is and he shows it time and time again.
Interesting, where was the cluthc the whole season where Madrid are out of the title race?

Where was he in the last classico? Messi demolished Madrid, won against Atletico by himself. Ronaldo is 'clutch' because he gets fed balls. Messi has to initiate attacks and also get on the end.

When Messi had the service and played closer to the box he was scoring 60+ and 70+ goals a year.

Where has Ronaldo's clutchness been when Madrid have 2 league titles in 9 years...

I can agree that he has more talent on Argentina, but check out Argentina’s record when Messi doesn’t play, they win less than 30% of their games. The team just fits together very poorly.

You put Ronaldo instead of Messi on that Argentina team and they don’t get to the World Cup final, he wouldn’t get any service from that shambolic midfield.

On the other hand Portugal can win a Euro final without Ronaldo on the pitch. That speaks volumes.
They would have never got to the final if it was not for Ronaldo. Second of all I am Portuguese and I will gladly say that final win was pure Luck just like Greece vs Portugal in 2004. Without Ronaldo we don't make it out the group let alone the final.

I would say Messi scoring hattricks vs Madrid or destroying Bayern with two goals out of nowhere (which looked in a 0-0 deadlock) with one of them goals including putting a world class defender on his ass then proceeding to dink it over the best keeper in the world at the time with his weaker foot seems pretty clutch.

Interesting, where was the cluthc the whole season where Madrid are out of the title race?

Where was he in the last classico? Messi demolished Madrid, won against Atletico by himself. Ronaldo is 'clutch' because he gets fed balls. Messi has to initiate attacks and also get on the end.

Where was Messi in the two classicos in the supercup, where Madrid and Ronaldo destroyed Barca over two legs?

Something weird is going on, could've sworn I clicked on the "Cristiano Ronaldo - performances 2017/18" thread.

«inappropriate content» :lol:

I'm really not sure how that's inappropriate content... this forum has gone a little soft.

Highest assister in CL history as well.

So top goalscorer and assister in CL. Easily top 3 of all time. The best player of all time for the 2 biggest clubs of all time. Which goes hand in hand in proving it in the top 2 leagues in the world.

A machine. A beast in the most important competition in club football. I'd give an arm and a leg to be half as motivated as him in what I do. His hunger at the age of 33 after having won everything he has is just unbelievable.

The greatest player in the history of CL/EC.

* Cristiano Ronaldo has scored more Champions League goals (117) than all but 19 of the 135 teams who have ever participated in the competition.

* Cristiano Ronaldo has scored more Champions League goals since 2009 (102) than Manchester United (98) and Manchester City (98).

....WOW.

Take it to the Ronaldo v Messi comparison thread

Highest assister in CL history as well.

So top goalscorer and assister in CL. Easily top 3 of all time. The best player of all time for the 2 biggest clubs of all time. Which goes hand in hand in proving it in the top 2 leagues in the world.

Nope, not easily at all.

The difference here is that Ronaldo is mostly measured by statistics, whereas players like Messi and Maradona do/did things that can't be measured by them. What they do/did is beyond statistics and that's a gap that Ronaldo can never bridge.

A more interesting question for me, and I'd put this to Redcafe's resident Real fans like Vato, carvajal, giorno etc, is where do they place Ronaldo now in the pantheon of Madrid's greatest players? Can he eclipse Di Stefano?

Last edited:
He is the greatest athlete ever. Probably one of the greatest footballers, what i've seen in this year is his influence in Real Madrid is unbelievably huge, it goes same for Portugal national team.

Ffs, this Messi fanboys should relax and go start a new cult to another place, we all know football was invented by Barcelona, Pep Guardiola is the biggest genius in football, Xavi is the most humble player regarding the way football should be played, but this is just a Cristiano thread, this said by someone who also knows he isn't the best player in the history of the game, but let me tell you something:

Never write him off.

Now we all can respect Messi, but we can also praise other parts of Cristiano, "he just scores, he doesn't create, blah, blah, blah".

Messi is a 1 man club, who has been playing like this since he is a kid, Cristiano was a kid who arrived with 12 years from Madeira, who had 1 style untill he was 20, then morphed into 1 of the most exciting players between 2005 and 2010 in Europe at UTD, and since 2010 he transmorphed into a "goal killer machine".

He maybe isn't the most talented player in the history of the game, not blessed with the same genius as Messi, but he is 1 of the most obsessed and mentally driven players in history. Not even debatable, if Messi fans don't understand that, they probably don't know so much as they think they know about football.

This thread is to talk about Ronnie and not to compare him with Messi, so I will stop here.

Nope, not easily at all.

The difference here is that Ronaldo is mostly measured by statistics, whereas players like Messi and Maradona do/did things that can't be measured by them. What they do/did is beyond statistics and that's a gap that Ronaldo can never bridge.

A more interesting question for me, and I'd put this to Redcafe's resident Real fans like Vato, Carvajal etc, is where do they place Ronaldo in the pantheon of Madrid's greatest players? In particular...where do you place him relative to Di Stefano?

I don't want to turn this into a comparison thread but in terms of club football, no one in history has come up more clutch that Ronaldo has. The CL is the biggest club competition in the world and has constantly destroyed this competition time and time again.

You say it's not all about stats, well Ronaldo's sheer drive and determination is something I've never seen out of any other player, ever. It's incredible.

Taking a thread off topic
I don't want to turn this into a comparison thread but in terms of club football, no one in history has come up more clutch that Ronaldo has. The CL is the biggest club competition in the world and has constantly destroyed this competition time and time again.

Firstly, I hate the use of these Americanisms like 'clutch'; take that crap to the NBA or NFL threads.

His scoring feats, particularly is the latter stages of last season's CL were remarkable but your use of the word 'destroyed' is misleading because most football fans tend to use such terms with regards to a player who runs a game. Ronaldo doesn't do this and never could.

You say it's not all about stats, well Ronaldo's sheer drive and determination is something I've never seen out of any other player, ever. It's incredible.

Evidently it isn't all about stats - it doesn't need me to say it.

Anyway, as you said in your opening line, this isn't a comparison thread. Apologies to the mods.

Nope, not easily at all.

A more interesting question for me, and I'd put this to Redcafe's resident Real fans like Vato, carvajal, giorno etc, is where do they place Ronaldo now in the pantheon of Madrid's greatest players? Can he eclipse Di Stefano?
How do you measure ronaldos drive and determination please, do enlighten us. He is not all just statistics like how you putting it.

Firstly, I hate the use of these Americanisms like 'clutch'; take that crap to the NBA or NFL threads.

His scoring feats, particularly is the latter stages of last season's CL were remarkable but your use of the word 'destroyed' is misleading because most football fans tend to use such terms with regards to a player who runs a game. Ronaldo doesn't do this and never could.

Evidently it isn't all about stats - it doesn't need me to say it.

Anyway, as you said in your opening line, this isn't a comparison thread. Apologies to the mods.

No, I will not stop using the word clutch. You seem to be bothered only because Ronaldo is the most clutch player in the key moments.

I dont give a flying damn about running a game. I care about results and results are achieved by goals. Why would we take away goals when they decide games? Are you mad?