Cristiano Ronaldo - performances 2017/18

No, I will not stop using the word clutch.

Well, that's a crying shame. :D

You seem to be bothered only because Ronaldo is the most clutch player in the key moments.

Nope, it's because it's a stupid Americanism.

I dont give a flying damn about running a game. I care about results and results are achieved by goals. Why would we take away goals when they decide games? Are you mad?

Most football fans do though. Sorry if that hasn't made it across the Atlantic to the footballing hotbed called Canada yet.

How do you measure ronaldos drive and determination please, do enlighten us. He is not all just statistics like how you putting it.

Drive and determination do have to be factored in but they don't go above ability for most people. That's pretty self-evident.

Just in case you're in any doubt I place Ronaldo in the top 10. I think his achievements in the game and his goalscoring consistency over such a long period elevate him above other more exceptional players. But...there's a gap he can't bridge because outside of goalscoring he isn't exceptional at anything else.

Last edited:

Most football fans do though. Sorry if that hasn't made it across the Atlantic to the footballing hotbed that is Canada yet.
It is not a stupid Americanism and that was beyond stupid to say. Clutch is what you call performing in the big moments when it counts Ronaldo dominated the KO round of the CL lets not be daft here.

Thought he was very good against PSG, and of course, he scores again.

Mods should start banning people who mention Messi in this thread. After this post, ofc!

Most football fans do though. Sorry if that hasn't made it across the Atlantic to the footballing hotbed that is Canada yet.

Drive and determination do have to be factored in but they don't go above ability for most people. That's pretty self-evident.

Just in case you're in any doubt I place Ronaldo in the top 10. I think his achievements in the game and his goalscoring consistency over such a long period elevate him above other more exceptional players. But...there's a gap he can't bridge because outside of goalscoring he isn't exceptional at anything else.

Sure, use whatever coping mechanism you need to convince you Ronaldo isn't the greatest Champions league player ever.

I bet you were fuming when you thought Ronaldo's career was over and yet here he is, business as usual, knocking out the biggest of teams.

And you sound like a condescending twat with your Anti-America agenda. Last I checked America runs the world so pipe down.

Just another Messi fan who can’t help but contribute in a RONALDO thread

It’s so pathetic you just have to laugh at this point :lol:

Firstly, I hate the use of these Americanisms like 'clutch'; take that crap to the NBA or NFL threads.

His scoring feats, particularly is the latter stages of last season's CL were remarkable but your use of the word 'destroyed' is misleading because most football fans tend to use such terms with regards to a player who runs a game. Ronaldo doesn't do this and never could.

Evidently it isn't all about stats - it doesn't need me to say it.

Anyway, as you said in your opening line, this isn't a comparison thread. Apologies to the mods.

Why do you hate America and Ronaldo? Is there a connection?

You need to know Barcelona, Guardiola, Xavi and the Messi fans see Real Madrid and Cristiano at the same way as lefties see Che Guevara, for them Barcelona is "pure", Real Madrid "evil", same analogy for America and Cristiano, its becoming unbearable to listen to them.

Ronaldo has multiple years of performances where he was exceptional in tricks and dribbles and what not. It’s just that in the last 2 or 3 years he has turned to a more goals oriented game, and suddenly he is made out to be some sort of inzaghi like player. Definite GOAT.

You need to know Barcelona, Guardiola, Xavi and the Messi fans see Real Madrid and Cristiano at the same way as lefties see Che Guevara, for them Barcelona is "pure", Real Madrid "evil", same analogy for America and Cristiano, its becoming unbearable to listen to them.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sure, use whatever coping mechanism you need to convince you Ronaldo isn't the greatest Champions league player ever.

Hmmm....I think you missed the part where I said I put Ronaldo in the top 10 players of all time. I don't separate players out by competition either.

I bet you were fuming when you thought Ronaldo's career was over and yet here he is, business as usual, knocking out the biggest of teams.

Nope, I harbour no dislike for Ronaldo and I'm not 12.

And you sound like a condescending twat with your Anti-America agenda. Last I checked America runs the world so pipe down.

I'm anti-American now? :lol:

I've been there many times and enjoyed it every time.

Oh, and America may 'run the world' but it doesn't run football. It's a longgg way from that. But...who knows...one day the MLS might come good. :D

I don't hate either.

Last edited:
Hmmm....I think you missed the part where I said I put Ronaldo in the top 10 players of all time. I don't separate players out by competition either.

Nope, I harbour no dislike for Ronaldo and I'm not 12.

I'm anti-American now? :lol:

I've been there many times and enjoyed it every time.

Oh, and America may 'run the world' but it doesn't run football. It's a longgg way from that. But...who knows...one day the MLS might come good. :D

I don't hate either.
umm im not sure why it quoted me because I did not say that lol

Crazy to think he was coming up to his world class peak when the likes of Van Nistelrooy was still playing for us, and well over a decade later he's still at the very top, after evolving his game numerous times.

Ronaldo has multiple years of performances where he was exceptional in tricks and dribbles and what not. It’s just that in the last 2 or 3 years he has turned to a more goals oriented game, and suddenly he is made out to be some sort of inzaghi like player. Definite GOAT.
People seem to forget this. Over the last few years he has completely redeveloped his game to fit in with what was needed. I've said it many times before, he is the greatest European player I have ever seen and I'm old.

Bunch of snowflakes it's what they are. Always hated that 'mes que un club' bulshit. Guess that's just the inferiority complex of living in Real Madrid's shadow.

As a Barca fan, I have alot of respect for Ronaldo. the guy is a thorn in our (and Messi's) side. I think most agree hes not the most talented ever but I've never seen a sportsman as dedicated and obsessed as Ronaldo. if we argue for Messi's magic we also have to take into account Ronaldos drive and determination.

Last edited by a moderator:
* Cristiano Ronaldo has scored more Champions League goals (117) than all but 19 of the 135 teams who have ever participated in the competition.

* Cristiano Ronaldo has scored more Champions League goals since 2009 (102) than Manchester United (98) and Manchester City (98).

....WOW.

What's mind boggling about those stats is that City have scored 98 goals in the Champions League? When did that happen? :eek:

Bunch of snowflakes it's what they are. Always hated that 'mes que un club' bulshit. Guess that's just the inferiority complex of living in Real Madrid's shadow.
I am not even anti Barcelona, I respect their history and ecletism, but it is so annoying the way they dismiss other clubs because they don't play football the "right way", or the usual Xavi statement about Cristiano, or Messi fanboys "but he doesn't dribble, he justt scores", they are just getting ridiculous, Messi doesn't need that type of support to be great.

What surprises me is that some posters go on about how Ronaldo is only about goals, and even assists, and how that should count against him when we talk about the greatest footballers of all time. He was once a tricky, skilled, fast player that loved to go past players, create, but he was not that effective. Then he matured, put all those qualities and combined them with ruthless efficiency. Later on, as he started to lose some of his energy and bits of his pace, he adapted his game further to be more economical and still is more or less as efficient in terms of providing goals and assists at his physical prime. How can that count against him? Did it count against Scholes that he dropped into a deeper role when his legs didn't move as fast? He actually became a better player. What about Giggs that completely changed his game? Should we forget that he was once an electric winger that went past players for fun and created chances for his team that few others could manage?

I've seen few other players being criticised for changing his game as age starts to catch up with you. The thing about Ronaldo though, is that you think age is catching up with him, but he can still go past players and he hasn't dropped deeper to sustain his game. Instead he plays as a striker or an attacking left winger, and he still puts up the numbers. Looking at the second half yesterday, his passing is probably a little underrated as well, and his hold up play is actually great. Now he looks to bring other players into the game as well, more so than he did at his prime.

What surprises me is that some posters go on about how Ronaldo is only about goals, and even assists, and how that should count against him when we talk about the greatest footballers of all time. He was once a tricky, skilled, fast player that loved to go past players, create, but he was not that effective. Then he matured, put all those qualities and combined them with ruthless efficiency. Later on, as he started to lose some of his energy and bits of his pace, he adapted his game further to be more economical and still is more or less as efficient in terms of providing goals and assists at his physical prime. How can that count against him? Did it count against Scholes that he dropped into a deeper role when his legs didn't move as fast? He actually became a better player. What about Giggs that completely changed his game? Should we forget that he was once an electric winger that went past players for fun and created chances for his team that few others could manage?

I've seen few other players being criticised for changing his game as age starts to catch up with you. The thing about Ronaldo though, is that you think age is catching up with him, but he can still go past players and he hasn't dropped deeper to sustain his game. Instead he plays as a striker or an attacking left winger, and he still puts up the numbers. Looking at the second half yesterday, his passing is probably a little underrated as well, and his hold up play is actually great. Now he looks to bring other players into the game as well, more so than he did at his prime.

Agreed. Last year especially in the CL and this year too v PSG he's very efficient in his all round game not just goalscoring. Passes and moves very well and great hold up play. Where he has been poor has generally been in the league where week in week out he can't perform with that same level of intensity and his general performances are so average outside of goalscoring.

For me this obsession with comparing him to Messi has basically ruined a lot of people's enjoyment of what is a fellow top 5-8 (minimum)level GOAT footballer who is still putting in world class performances on the big stage. He doesn't have long left - appreciate his greatness whilst you can.. guys like him don't come around often.

You have to admire the drive and determination of the haters. They constantly get shut up by Ronaldo's numbers and achievements but they still come back for more. Not the most talented posters but still the dedication and obsession deserves praise.

Yes, why can't we enjoy them both? It's a privilege to be their contemporaries.

I don't know if these threads can get anymore benign. I come into the Ronaldo thread and see 'Messi, Messi, Messi' - I go in the Messi thread and see 'Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldo!' Do posters not know there is a thread created solely for that discussion?

I thought there would be numerous posts discussing his performance last night, but instead, it's just statistics, 'GOAT' and Messi. Seriously, will this thread ever get its bearings back?

I thought that header was incredible. The hang time and the technique to get his head around the ball like he did was phenomenal. He's also clearly developing his team-game and interplay. Very probably because he feels like he needs them now more than he has ever done, maybe not.

There was a footrace down the right flank that he lost, and I thought that Father Time is undefeated - Ronaldo's pace has gone from the 90's on a 100 scale to around the mid 80's now, which means he has to think in advance of the runs he wants to make to get the edge on the defender, who may actually be faster than him, which is something he has not encountered at all in his career prior to being the age he is except for with extremely pacey full-backs, such as Ashley Cole, who he could never beat in a footrace.

It's very interesting to see the modifications Ronaldo is making to his game as the season goes on. It's like he's developing himself in accordance with the newer restrictions put in place by age. This puts his intelligence and understanding of space and time into the spotlight because he is no longer in the body that was simply beyond most opponents he faced.

Many of the accusations about him just being an athlete can be stripped away in this phase of his career, because he steps on the pitch now not being the top 1, 2 or 3 for athleticism on the pitch, which was never the case throughout the majority of the career he has had.

I find this phase of his career to be defining of the man that he is. How far into his 30's he can take it will also go on to make an indelible statement for him in terms of history's perception of the player. It should also be noted that the further into his 30's he takes it, the more removed he becomes from many of the established top 10 of all-time whose careers, barring Puskas and Di Stefano, were pretty much a wrap in terms of adding to their legacy by the age of 32.

Don't pre-occupy yourselves with Messi; marvel at what the man this thread is made for is doing, independent of his rival. He's on an incredible, almost unique journey in his own right.

He's an extremely impressive individual who still has it in him to change perception of his game, contrary to those saying 'all he does is score off the back of others'. That's evidently not what is happening as he's more team-orientated now than he ever has or needed to be.

I thought 5 Ballon D’or is the most he could ever get, but if he manage to repeat his feat in last year CL, to which he is right on track this year, there’s chance he could get his 6.... and that my friend would be unimaginable.

His productivity in the Champions League is just ridiculous - especially in the knock-out stages. However, does anyone else think he got off a little easy with the ref yesterday? He had that little kick at a PSG player and a couple of situations that looked like dives. Ultimately 2-3 individual situations that could have landed him a booking.

It is not a stupid Americanism and that was beyond stupid to say. Clutch is what you call performing in the big moments when it counts Ronaldo dominated the KO round of the CL lets not be daft here.

Tbf, it’s a great expression. Don’t get the hate :lol:

What's with Ronaldo and the Champions League? Incredible!

It really is incredible. As sure as the sun will rise and the stars come out at night, Ronaldo will find a way to decide champions league games.

Not having him as the greatest athlete ever though, that’s very clearly Bo Jackson.

I have been watching football for a long, long time and have seen quite a few of the 'greats', but I can honestly say that our Ronaldo has to be one of the best headers of the ball I have ever seen. The 'hangtime' and power he generates is amazing.

The Roma goal still has me screaming 'yes' whenever I see it.

No, I will not stop using the word clutch. You seem to be bothered only because Ronaldo is the most clutch player in the key moments.

I dont give a flying damn about running a game. I care about results and results are achieved by goals. Why would we take away goals when they decide games? Are you mad?

I don’t think “clutch” is really what Ronaldo is. My understanding of the term is that it means your back is against the wall (maybe losing), times running out and you’re the only one ready to step up and make a play.

If Real Madrid are losing 2-0, and there’s 20 minutes left and Ronaldo goes on to score a hat Trick, I think that’s more “clutch”. Madrid are expected to win 95% of games they play, even the big knock out CL games, so it’s less clutch and more “expected”. It doesn’t diminish the achievements at all, just don’t think it’s the right term to use.

I don’t think “clutch” is really what Ronaldo is. My understanding of the term is that it means your back is against the wall (maybe losing), times running out and you’re the only one ready to step up and make a play.

If Real Madrid are losing 2-0, and there’s 20 minutes left and Ronaldo goes on to score a hat Trick, I think that’s more “clutch”. Madrid are expected to win 95% of games they play, even the big knock out CL games, so it’s less clutch and more “expected”. It doesn’t diminish the achievements at all, just don’t think it’s the right term to use.

Exactly, Ramos is more clutch than Ronaldo

No, I will not stop using the word clutch. You seem to be bothered only because Ronaldo is the most clutch player in the key moments.

Well, that's a crying shame. :D

Most football fans do though. Sorry if that hasn't made it across the Atlantic to the footballing hotbed called Canada yet.

I’ve lived in America for five years and I’ve never heard that phrase haha

I think the reason why is... it sounds awful!

Check the bookie odds, Real were certainly not favorites last night.