Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

When people look back in history in 100 years now, they will see ronaldo with the most goals in history. Messi will be the best runner up and will not be remembered as fondly. Statistics matter
Peak Michael Laudrup was the probably the most elegant player I've ever saw, despite his numbers not being impressive. But his passing skill and flair made him recognized as one of the best players to ever set foot on a football field.
Numbers are a good statistical support, but team sports go beyond that, unlike individual sports.

Stats, numbers and goal contributions definitely matter for attackers. Obsession with statistics in every aspect of the game isn't fun but then most top clubs with the best recruitment teams use data, stats and analytics these days to recruit players for every position. The clubs which don't use these modern methods much are the ones that sign the most big-money duds and flops and are the worst run big clubs on the planet.

You named 3 midfielders whose job is to do the stuff you mentioned in your post.

Messi and Ronaldo have zero defensive duties and have had entire teams built around them in order to get the best out of them for 95% of their careers. For players like that, goal contributions and statistics are definitely important.

The biggest match-winners/star players generally have great goalscoring ability or the ability to come up with goals in the biggest moments(like Zidane).
Kroos, Frankie, Gavi, Rodri, kimmich, tonali, Enzo,Mac Allister.

Yes clubs use statistics but they still know players who scores/assist can be a negative for the team.

When people look back in history in 100 years now, they will see ronaldo with the most goals in history. Messi will be the best runner up and will not be remembered as fondly. Statistics matter

They are both from the YouTube era, every single goal they scored is on YouTube. Tbh, Messi is magical, though they both will be remembered as the greatest players as their videos are insane.

Kroos, Frankie, Gavi, Rodri, kimmich, tonali, Enzo,Mac Allister.

Yes clubs use statistics but they still know players who scores/assist can be a negative for the team.

By stats, I don't mean only goals and assists.

They analyse various statistics and metrics for those midfielders too. There are different kinds of stats and numbers recruitment teams use for midfielders and defenders these days.

Have you met people? People don’t remember numbers, they remember narratives.

By stats, I don't mean only goals and assists.

They analyse various statistics and metrics for those midfielders too. There are different kinds of stats and numbers recruitment teams use for midfielders and defenders these days.
Of course, but reading through the whole conversation I don't think he was arguing against it.

That’s an interesting point. In a way it’s strange that we’ve only got one manager obsessed weirdo on the caf. You’d think there would be more.
Hewhomustnotbenamed is the only managerial one I know of. There are loads of Messi and Ronaldo ones though.

In 100 years I doubt either will get referenced much at all to be honest.

Think most Ballon D'or winners, most golden boot winners, most goals and assists,and WC winners are remembered more fondly.

More goals over Messi he isn't even guaranteed to get. Time is not on his side.

And no one remembers who had the most goals 100 years ago.

100 years from now, football metrics will be so good that nobody will care about a fairly meaningless and deceiving statistic like goals scored. It was always stupid to measure the impact of a player in such a metric.

Statistics definitely matter, the funny thing is he is not even better than Messi in goal stats (the only area he can compete with Messi) let alone dribbling, passing, assist, chance creation, motm and tons of other stats. In terms of goals, he is one tier below Messi, Gerd Muller and Pele who dominated everything. Statpadding against Luxembourg, Andorra, Faroe matter little when he is a regular ghost in NT tournament knockouts.

Lukaku has more goals for Belgium than Pele for Brazil thanks to the privilege of participating in "highly challenging" Euro qualifiers against Gibraltar, Andorra etc. and playing way more games. In your world, Lukau is probably in the same league as Pele and will be fondly remembered just like Pele 100 years from now:lol:

As of now, people remember:

how Ronaldo has 0 knockout goals in 8 games in 5 World Cups
how he has 3 knockout goals in 19 games in 5 WCs + 5 Euros (mind you this is the player with most goals with NT ever)
how he has won 0 World's Best Playmaker Award
how he won 0 player of the tournament award in 5 WCs + 5 Euros + Nations Cup + Confederations Cup something Bernardo Silva and Zagorakis were able to do
how he has less Ballon D'ors, Fifa Best, Golden Shoes, per game goal ratio and numerous other records than Messi
his per game goal ratio being worse than Lukaku at the NT level
how he was fired from United, benched in the World Cup, sent to exile to Saudi
why he got the nicknames penaldo, tap-in merchant
his emoji posts and weird insecurity about Messi
how he became the greatest symbol of primadonna style and narcisssism in modern football
how he puts his clubs, former/current teammates, managers under the bus publicly
how many of his famous teammates see Messi as clearly the best ever including Modric, Ramos, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney
how his technique, creativity, dribbling skills is nowhere near the football gods like Messi, Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Ronaldinho etc.

He is a meme for delusion. a laughing stock even now, it will get worse in 100 years considering the fact that every couple of months he comes with something even more delusional to be in the limelight. Can't imagine the crazy things he would say right after his retirement, he would probably say things like World Cup is a farce, Saudi League has always been more competitive than Premier League, and that there's been always a conspiracy against him etc.

Last edited:
Statistics definitely matter, the funny thing is he is not even better than Messi in goal stats (the only area he can compete with Messi) let alone dribbling, passing, assist, chance creation, motm and tons of other stats. In terms of goals, he is one tier below Messi, Gerd Muller and Pele who dominated everything. Statpadding against Luxembourg, Andorra, Faroe matter little when he is a regular ghost in NT tournament knockouts.

Lukaku has more goals for Belgium than Pele for Brazil thanks to the privilege of participating in "highly challenging" Euro qualifiers against Gibraltar, Andorra etc. and playing way more games. In your world, Lukau is probably in the same league as Pele and will be fondly remembered just like Pele 100 years from now:lol:

how he has 3 knockout goals in 19 games in 5 WCs + 5 Euros (mind you this is the player with most goals with NT ever)
how he won 0 player of the tournament award in 5 WCs + 5 Euros + Nations Cup + Confederations Cup something Bernardo Silva and Zagorakis were able to do
how he has less Ballon D'ors, Fifa Best, Golden Shoes, per game goal ratio and numerous other records than Messi
how he became the greatest symbol of primadonna style and narcisssism in modern football
how he puts his clubs, former/current teammates, managers under the bus publicly
how many of his famous teammates see Messi as clearly the best ever including Modric, Ramos, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney
how his technique, creativity, dribbling skills is nowhere near the football gods like Messi, Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Ronaldinho etc.

He is a meme for delusion. a laughing stock even now, it will get worse in 100 years considering the fact that every couple of months he comes with something even more delusional to be in the limelight. Can't imagine the crazy things he would say right after his retirement, he would probably say things like World Cup is a farce, Saudi League has always been more competitive than Premier League, and that there's been always a conspiracy against him etc.
Do you think Ronaldo was a top class player? At his peak, do you think he was world class?

Lukaku has more goals than Pele thanks to the privilege of participating in "highly challenging" Euro qualifiers against Gibraltar, Andorra etc. In your world, Lukau is probably in the same league as Pele and will be fondly remembered just like Pele 100 years from now:lol:

how he has 0 knockout goals in 8 games in 5 World Cups
how he has 3 knockout goals in 19 games in 5 WCs + 5 Euros
how almost half his famous teammates see Messi as clearly the best ever including Modric, Ramos, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney

He is a meme for delusion. a laughing stock even now, it will get worse in 100 years considering the fact that every couple of months he comes with something even more delusional to be in the limelight. Can't imagine the crazy things he would say right after his retirement, he would probably say things like World Cup is a farce, Saudi League is more competitive than Premier League, there's been always a conspiracy against him etc.

I mean, I'm not a huge fan of his personality overall but it's hard to deny he is one of the greats.
If I'm only going to talk/write about the bad things, I can make anyone look like sht as well, including Messi.

I don't think so. Take it from a portuguese, the Ronaldo vs Messi debate (that I avoid at all cost) was definitely settled after he won the world cup. I'm portuguese, Sporting fan and I admit this. It was an incredible era in football and it was a privilege to watch both players career and prime.

Now do I prefer Messi to Ronaldo? Of course not but I have to put my bias aside being portuguese and Sporting fan and admit Messi is the superior player. I'll always be grateful everything he did for us, leading us, being a spectacular player, representing the country at the highest level, flawless in his professionalism and availability but I try to be objective.

I did sour a bit in the end (and I'm not the only one) because I sincerely think that his and Mendes influence has been detrimental to our National team in the last years. Call ups of players that don't deserve it but get in the national team because of Mendes, the way Ronaldo behaved in the WC disrespecting his teammates and the manager. I believe the circus after Santos dropped him had a very negative effect in our National team.

He doesn't own the national team, it's not his, it's the country team. We have to do what's best to the team and not to accommodate Ronaldo's ego. Ronaldo doesn't understand his current limitations and that's detrimental for the team. Impact sub is what he should be at this time of his career. I think he would actually get the numbers he craves if he accepted that. Just because we are not yes men towards him, doesn't mean we don't appreciate what he did for us. He needs to understand that.

Reactions: Fortitude
The hatred is mind blowing. I was honestly shocked about how decent he was. He made runs all game ans actually participated in the game. Far from a bad game from him. Portugal was the better side and they created a lot. If anything I was surprised by how well the team looked with him in it. Will be interesting too see if they can go on from here

He was decent. Certainly not worthy of criticism, nor praise.

Only picking the negatives I see. There are plenty of positives though. Our countries golden era was lead by him. Finals, semi finals, one Euro, one Nations League and always qualifying. BTW don't mention Bernardo Silva when discussing our National team. He's an incredible player for City but for our National team he's subpar. He's just another player. Bernardo Silva NEVER had a standout tournament. First there was the excuse that he had Santos as manager but after last night atrocious performance he's running out of excuses. He got destroyed by our media. Fernandes has been a far better player national team wise.

I wonder if another Euro win would reignite the, at times, insufferable debate between him and Messi, which in my opinion was pretty much closed when Messi won the world cup. Two major international competitions each would certainly be a good arguing point.

It was closed in 2012 at the absolutely latest.

I remember CR7 for his determination, his professionalism and his work ethics. Then his goals, his trophies, and his personal awards. I am not even his fans, and Messi is/was a better player.

Interesting that you describe Ronaldo as a "meme for delusion" when you selectively cherry picked every negative thing you could conjure up to denigrate a player who an increasing majority think is one of the two best players to ever do it.

I remember CR7 for his determination, his professionalism and his work ethics. Then his goals, his trophies, and his personal awards. I am not even his fans and Messi is/was a better player.

Most reasonable fans will do the same. Certainly in terms of professionalism and training, work ethic, every player who has ever commented about training with him has said his level of dedication was light years beyond anyone else, which is part of the reason for his career longevity and lack of significant injuries over the years.

The fact that geriatric Modric isn't getting run over by the hate train after his feckless performance so far against Albania proves that the Ronaldo criticism is mostly down to the fact that he's a dick and not his performances.

That is definitely not a thing remembered by more than... 5? people on earth.

yeah, there are only 5 fans that care about playmaking, the dream scenario for Ronaldo & his fans, an alternative universe where playmaking. dribbling, creativity don't exist and statpadding against Al-Kabab and Andorra is all that matter..

Interesting that you describe Ronaldo as a "meme for delusion" when you selectively cherry picked every negative thing you could conjure up to denigrate a player who an increasing majority think is one of the two best players to ever do it.

For most, Ronaldo is not even a top-5 player let alone top-2 (even on a United forum), there's a thread for that.
www.redcafe.net/threads/top-10-greatest-players-of-all-time.480982/

"Cristiano Ronaldo told to 'shut up' after claiming Saudi Pro League is better than Ligue 1 as superstar is accused of making comment 'because Lionel Messi played' in France"

www.goal.com/en/lists/cristiano-ronaldo-told-shut-up-claiming-saudi-pro-league-better-ligue-1-because-lionel-messi-played-france/blt5398274dffc67820

"Cristiano Ronaldo suggested Wayne Rooney's criticism of his behaviour at Manchester United is rooted in jealousy."
https://www.beinsports.com/en-au/fo...video/ronaldo-claims-rooney-is-jealous-of-him

"Ronaldo: I believe that the Arab League is better than the Portuguese one. "
www.goal.com/en/news/cristiano-ronaldo-defends-saudi-arabia-al-nassr-pro-league-better-lionel-messi-mls/blt5772ee3ec4e18408

"Why Cristiano Ronaldo posted laughing emojis in social media 'dig' at Lionel Messi"
www.sportbible.com/football/football-news/cristiano-ronaldo-lionel-messi-ballon-dor-emoji-253494-20231031

"Cristiano Ronaldo and Sergio Ramos 'haven't spoken in TWO YEARS since falling out over Luka Modric winning the Ballon d'Or'"
www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8815097/Cristiano-Ronaldo-Sergio-Ramos-havent-spoken-TWO-YEARS-fall-out.html

"Cristiano Ronaldo says he was disappointed not to win the Ballon d'Or and claimed the "numbers do not lie" after being beaten to the award by Luka Modric."
www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11577265/cristiano-ronaldo-claims-numbers-do-not-lie-after-luka-modric-wins-ballon-dor

"“Everyone knows that if they want to get on the front page they have to speak about me. He doesn’t have any Ballon d’Ors and I have three. Why is Xavi relevant? He plays in Qatar. I’m the most searched-for sportsman on social media.”
www.bleacherreport.com/articles/2662857-cristiano-ronaldo-slams-xavi-questions-relevance-over-lionel-messi-comments

"Benzema on his Ballon d'Or: Cristiano Ronaldo hasn't sent me a message yet"
www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2022/11/13/63710206268e3eec3c8b4598.html

etc. etc.

Last edited:
Think most Ballon D'or winners, most golden boot winners, most goals and assists,and WC winners are remembered more fondly.

More goals over Messi he isn't even guaranteed to get. Time is not on his side.

And no one remembers who had the most goals 100 years ago.

If the total amount of goals scored was the most important thing then Romario would have been consistently considered the 2nd greatest player of all time pre Ronaldo and Messi. And although i think Romario is underrated there is a good reason why many players are considered superior to him.

"Cristiano Ronaldo told to 'shut up' after claiming Saudi Pro League is better than Ligue 1 as superstar is accused of making comment 'because Lionel Messi played' in France"

www.goal.com/en/lists/cristiano-ronaldo-told-shut-up-claiming-saudi-pro-league-better-ligue-1-because-lionel-messi-played-france/blt5398274dffc67820

"Cristiano Ronaldo suggested Wayne Rooney's criticism of his behaviour at Manchester United is rooted in jealousy."
https://www.beinsports.com/en-au/fo...video/ronaldo-claims-rooney-is-jealous-of-him

"Ronaldo: I believe that the Arab League is better than the Portuguese one. "
www.goal.com/en/news/cristiano-ronaldo-defends-saudi-arabia-al-nassr-pro-league-better-lionel-messi-mls/blt5772ee3ec4e18408

"Why Cristiano Ronaldo posted laughing emojis in social media 'dig' at Lionel Messi"
www.sportbible.com/football/football-news/cristiano-ronaldo-lionel-messi-ballon-dor-emoji-253494-20231031

"Cristiano Ronaldo and Sergio Ramos 'haven't spoken in TWO YEARS since falling out over Luka Modric winning the Ballon d'Or'"
www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8815097/Cristiano-Ronaldo-Sergio-Ramos-havent-spoken-TWO-YEARS-fall-out.html

"Cristiano Ronaldo says he was disappointed not to win the Ballon d'Or and claimed the "numbers do not lie" after being beaten to the award by Luka Modric."
www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11577265/cristiano-ronaldo-claims-numbers-do-not-lie-after-luka-modric-wins-ballon-dor

"“Everyone knows that if they want to get on the front page they have to speak about me. He doesn’t have any Ballon d’Ors and I have three. Why is Xavi relevant? He plays in Qatar. I’m the most searched-for sportsman on social media.”
www.bleacherreport.com/articles/2662857-cristiano-ronaldo-slams-xavi-questions-relevance-over-lionel-messi-comments

"Benzema on his Ballon d'Or: Cristiano Ronaldo hasn't sent me a message yet"
www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2022/11/13/63710206268e3eec3c8b4598.html

etc. etc.

None of these speak to what I previously said.

Did you see Kante play a couple days ago vs Austria? :confused:

I apply the same logic to him. No point for a top 20 FIFA team to call up players who play in such a low competitive league. It means they're being called up for the status, not merit based.

I apply the same logic to him. No point for a top 20 FIFA team to call up players who play in such a low competitive league. It means they're being called up for the status, not merit based.
In the top 20 FIFA team, US is 11, Morocco 13, Japan 18, Iran 20. I don't quite get your point.

He literally got MOTM for his performance against Austria. There's also a video of several of his French teammates lauding him as he's entering the locker room after the game. But okay then, mate :lol:

I honestly couldn’t give much of a shite about footballers at clubs I don’t support. I’ll watch a few matches each season which don’t feature United (as well as international tournaments) but the idea of slavishly following every detail of the career of an individual footballer at a different club will never not be weird to me.
What’s your living room heat map when watching United vs watching Ronaldo though?

He literally got MOTM for his performance against Austria. There's also a video of several of his French teammates lauding him as he's entering the locker room after the game. But okay then, mate :lol:

I saw a game of two Kante's, first half, all over the place and didn't do much right, and picked it up and had an excellent 2nd half.

I'm not so say who deserves MOTM or not, but he was not actually flawless.

I know he's still a very solid player, but he's being called up for his status. In this case, his football qualities are still somewhat intact, it seems.

I saw a game of two Kante's, first half, all over the place and didn't do much right, and picked it up and had an excellent 2nd half.

I'm not so say who deserves MOTM or not, but he was not actually flawless.
I agree with this. I don't think it's the amazing performance that it's being made out to be. It was good overall, and he might get even better, but Rabiot was better than him in the first half, and overall they were about on par in terms of performance.

yeah, there are only 5 fans that care about playmaking, the dream scenario for Ronaldo & his fans, an alternative universe where playmaking. dribbling, creativity don't exist and statpadding against Al-Kabab and Andorra is all that matter..

Oh people care about playmaking. They don't care about the 'World's Best Playmaking' award, though. I had to look up what the feck that even was. Apparently Modric and Kroos have won it.

Statpadding against Luxembourg, Andorra, Faroe matter little when he is a regular ghost in NT tournament knockouts.

This is the most crazy stat for me.

How can Ronaldo and his insane fans brag about him being the top scorer of all time at international level, when he has 3 goals in 27 games after the group stage at tournaments.

That clearly shows how much of a stat padder he truly has been.