Coronavirus in football

Looking likely they'll take a pause until January. Hopefully it's just until then and they can come things down...

I wonder what the legalities would be if clubs insisted on their players to remain at home and be under lockdown? If it is costing the clubs a lot of money by not playing then I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking into it.

Jesus, it's happening eh. Piss poor planning and foresight from the PL and the clubs. They should have been more proactive in getting ahead of this and implementing coronavirus restrictions so we didn't get to this point in the first place.
Q/F of Carabao Cup in there as well. That is another game for eight teams on top of PL games. They will need to squash a lot of games in, but sure as hell will make sure it doesn't affect the good old international breaks. Isn't there a Nations League again in the summer? They need to sort this out, we cannot just cancel the season as there is a good chance that covid is not going anywhere and will always be around in some form or other. If it is, what happens next winter and the winter after that. Just have to hope somebody finds a one off vaccine that protects the people who want to take it. Then clubs will need to cope with losing the odd player here and there or football will be finished.

Probably the worst time to pause. Next year fixture list is going to be insane

I wonder what the legalities would be if clubs insisted on their players to remain at home and be under lockdown? If it is costing the clubs a lot of money by not playing then I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking into it.
Probably better to keep them at the training ground or something.

Even if it’s found that hospitalisations aren’t going to be severe enough for restrictions, that’s actually bad news for the PL. The positive cases will still be high so there’s a pingdemic. I very much doubt a high percentage of PL footballers will be fully vaccinated and boosted at the end of this month so it will spread like wildfire until the impact of the boosters is felt on the actual case numbers in wider society, which even if the government meets their crazy ambitious booster target won’t be until mid-late January.

If they do postpone the league for a few weeks (Probably needs to be at least 6 to ride out the sharp wave that's coming) then i don't see how we'd get our fixtures in.

We're in all four major competitions plus we have to jet off to the middle east for two weeks for the club world cup. We'd be squeezing a potential 37-52 games into just 16 weeks.

Even assuming the timeframe is extended into June that's 37-52 games in 20 weeks. Let's average at 45 games = 2.5 games a week for 20 weeks straight!

How the feck are we/the PL going to fit all these games back in at later dates?

Even now the PL are making players to lateral tests in their car before going to training. Only if it’s positive do they do a PCR test. Mental. They should all be doing PCR tests.
Rapid tests done immediately before meeting up don't appear to do a poorer job of spotting someone who's infectious than a PCR test done the day before. The question is whether either test really offers you enough to keep up to date with omicron.

If they do postpone the league for a few weeks (Probably needs to be at least 6 to ride out the sharp wave that's coming) then i don't see how we'd get our fixtures in.

We're in all four major competitions plus we have to jet off to the middle east for two weeks for the club world cup. We'd be squeezing a potential 37-52 games into just 16 weeks.

Even assuming the timeframe is extended into June that's 37-52 games in 20 weeks. Let's average at 45 games = 2.5 games a week for 20 weeks straight!
Presume the EL/CL will become a little tournament again. All the teams in one bubble. Some of the other competitions will have to go by the wayside if they like it or not. Think that it will either be reduced crowds, all with masks or behind closed doors again.

Presume the EL/CL will become a little tournament again. All the teams in one bubble. Some of the other competitions will have to go by the wayside if they like it or not. Think that it will either be reduced crowds, all with masks or behind closed doors again.
Omicron wave could be over by end of Feb.

I think it's going to end up being suspended and resumed in January. Cannot continue postponing games like this, its getting like pre-lockdown

I don't know if it's confirmed that Omicron is the mildest variant yet. I think it may be.

If that's the case and it means Covid is becoming less deadly but more transmissible in order to survive, then surely we have to reach a point where clubs just play through it? Everyone has had ample time and opportunity to be vaccinated, so if it hits them harder than others, so be it. Otherwise this will just happen every year.

Damn the situation is worse that I thought, it's definitely going to set us back for 2 weeks at least. It's not only the 10 days isolation but we need players to recover some form.

I don't think we'll play this year again.

I don't know if it's confirmed that Omicron is the mildest variant yet. I think it may be.

If that's the case and it means Covid is becoming less deadly but more transmissible to survive, then surely we have to reach a point where clubs just play through it? Everyone has had ample time and opportunity to be vaccinated, so if it hits them harder than others, so be it. Otherwise this will just happen every year.
Whitty said it's too early to say yesterday.

Feck. I hate long stretches without seeing United play.

It's weird as I love the Christmas period as it's the time of year when I am able to watch football the most but it probably is the right thing to do.

Damn the situation is worse that I thought, it's definitely going to set us back for 2 weeks at least. It's not only the 10 days isolation but we need players to recover some form.

I don't think we'll play this year again.
If the clubs get their way and it's F.A. Cup third round weekend for a resumption then no we won't.

Whitty said it's too early to say yesterday.

Fair enough.

I can't see a scenario where this doesn't happen every year, unless we start treating it like another 'winter' illness. It's just the way it is unfortunately.

How many games have been cancelled due to covid in other countries in the last few weeks?
In Portugal, Benfica v Belenses went ahead but should have been cancelled. Quite a few countries have returned to behind closed doors. In terms of the players, the PL were doing fine with delta, it's omicron they can't handle. Give it a week or so and we'll know what happens elsewhere.

If that's the case and it means Covid is becoming less deadly but more transmissible in order to survive, then surely we have to reach a point where clubs just play through it? Everyone has had ample time and opportunity to be vaccinated, so if it hits them harder than others, so be it. Otherwise this will just happen every year.
It’s true that we could face a lockdown next month purely by the amount of people having to isolate brings society to a close :lol:

Yeah, I don't understand the logic behind this. Aren't the players vaccinated? Covid isn't going away anytime soon anyway. We can't just take a break every winter when it hits for the rest of our lives.