g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Drake really needs to release a visceral clap back over They Not Like Us to really get this beef in the hall of fame. Beat is made for him.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Kendrick went to Drake avenue and that Not Like Us track is everywhere. I've heard it three times today, lots of people are playing it. DJ Mustard beat gonna do that.

Although BBL Drizzy is my favourite moment of the beef still.

"Got the best BBL in history" makes me laugh out loud every time :lol:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I listened to Drake's response, The Heart Part 6. Christ it's woeful, and those last 90 seconds where he is just talking? Urgh.

"Not gonna lie, this shit was some good exercise. Good to get out, get the pen working." Fecking cringe monster.

"You would be a worthy competitor, if I was really a predator...." Drake sounds like a Redditor.

How is this gimp "cool" to people?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I listened to Drake's response, The Heart Part 6. Christ it's woeful, and those last 90 seconds where he is just talking? Urgh.

"Not gonna lie, this shit was some good exercise. Good to get out, get the pen working." Fecking cringe monster.

"You would be a worthy competitor, if I was really a predator...." Drake sounds like a Redditor.

Yeah it's really poor. He either ditched the ghostwriters on the track or the ghostwriter he used is the mole.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
been out of the rap genre for a long time now and stumbled over this "beef"..heard Meet the Grahams. Holy shit, it's pure genius.

Eriku

Agreed on that talking bit, pretty embarassing.

And all the basic shit he gets wrong, K Dot never said he was molested on Mother, I, he never mentioned Epstein but Weinstein… I guess he must be smoking the good stuff before he gets his pen out.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Family Matters is the best track from the beef.
I'm leaning that way too, already said it, the last part was something else, I'm actually surprised Drake was capable of it.

The 'is it self defence because she's bigger than you' and the juice references are some of the best verses of the whole beef.

Disappointed he couldn't follow up on it as his last one wasn't great.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
I think Bo Burnham already used that A Minor line in one of his shows.

It was a good track overall but don't think it's a classic... But it would be if Drakes career is affected or some of these allegations get proven.

One of the best diss rhymes in rap is DJ Quik yelling MC Eiht he left out the G because the G isn't in him despite the Eiht had used that himself so many times earlier.

You just sound like you are really trying to hate on Kendrick for clearly winning this

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
One of the best diss rhymes in rap is DJ Quik yelling MC Eiht he left out the G because the G isn't in him despite the Eiht had used that himself so many times earlier.

You just sound like you are really trying to hate on Kendrick for clearly winning this
Mate... Have you been reading this thread?

I'm barely into hip-hop these days and the only reason I've taken a keen interest in this is due to my dislike for Drake :lol:

But that don't mean everything drake has done in this beef is garbage and it don't mean everything Kendrick has done is ether.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mate... Have you been reading this thread?

I'm barely into hip-hop these days and the only reason I've taken a keen interest in this is due to my dislike for Drake :lol:

But that don't mean everything drake has done in this beef is garbage and it don't mean everything Kendrick has done is ether.
It's getting worse than the Taylor Swift thread. :lol:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It's getting worse than the Taylor Swift thread. :lol:
Tbf, the reason it’s gotten boring very quickly (to me at least) is that it’s immediately calcified into a very one sided thing. I also do not care for Drake, but it was only really interesting as a battle. Now it’s just people picking over the bones and explaining why Kendrick is great & Drake is awful, so social media is like being stuck in a room with insufferable music stans. And whatever their flavour, music stans are always pretty insufferable.

redcucumber

Tbf, the reason it’s gotten boring very quickly (to me at least) is that it’s immediately calcified into a very one sided thing. I also do not care for Drake, but it was only really interesting as a battle. Now it’s just people picking over the bones and explaining why Kendrick is great & Drake is awful, so social media is like being stuck in a room with insufferable music stans. And whatever their flavour, music stans are always pretty insufferable.
That's only cos the heart part 6 was such a shocker of a misfire. As a response to not like us it's actually hard to believe that's what came next. Up until that point Drake had validity. It's petered out now though yeh. Can't see anything else coming of it, unless Drake start swinging for the fences.

Mockney

That's only cos the heart part 6 was such a shocker of a misfire. As a response to not like us it's actually hard to believe that's what came next. Up until that point Drake had validity. It's petered out now though yeh. Can't see anything else coming of it, unless Drake start swinging for the fences.
Yes the “my not a pedophile rap has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my not a pedophile rap” was a misfire, but I think the damage was already done by Kendrick stepping on Family Matters so early, which by that point was actually the best track in the whole thing… his strategy was flawless and people had already decided he’d won and even trying to point out Family Matters was good was getting pushback by that point.

He needed to come out with a catchy banger that could’ve had longevity beyond the battle and thus a kind of long game win even if people think he’d lost the week. But obviously he wanted to try and prove he was “proper” so Kendrick stepped on him again by doing it instead.

The BBL Drizzy thing was good because it brought a whole bunch of other random shit into the game which wasn’t just reading way too much into Kendrick’s lines or acting like anyone who liked Drake was a sell out (and again… I like Kendrick and don’t really like Drake) but now we’re basically back to that (or at least most of my social media is) and .. eh.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yes the “my not a pedophile rap has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my not a pedophile rap” was a misfire, but I think the damage was already done by Kendrick stepping on Family Matters so early, which by that point was actually the best track in the whole thing… his strategy was flawless and people had already decided he’d won and even trying to point out Family Matters was good was getting pushback by that point.

He needed to come out with a catchy banger that could’ve had longevity beyond the battle and thus a kind of long game win even if people think he’d lost the week. But obviously he wanted to try and prove he was “proper” so Kendrick stepped on him again by doing it instead.

The BBL Drizzy thing was good because it brought a whole bunch of other random shit into the game which wasn’t just reading way too much into Kendrick’s lines or acting like anyone who liked Drake was a sell out (and again… I like Kendrick and don’t really like Drake) but now we’re basically back to that (or at least most of my social media is) and .. eh.
Yeah mostly agree with this. Kendrick successfully veered into Drake's lane with Not Like Us, even beating Drake's record on Spotify. Drake tried to veer into Kendrick s lane and ended up with Heart 6, which is one of the worst "diss" tracks I've ever heard.

Although I find it strange people think Family Matters was Drake's shining moment in this beef, for me, it was Push Ups.

Mockney

Yeah mostly agree with this. Kendrick successfully veered into Drake's lane with Not Like Us, even beating Drake's record on Spotify. Drake tried to veer into Kendrick s lane and ended up with Heart 6, which is one of the worst "diss" tracks I've ever heard.

Although I find it strange people think Family Matters was Drake's shining moment in this beef, for me, it was Push Ups.
I think Family Matters was where he met Kendrick at the crossroads of good lyricism but also horrible personal barbs. It was also a response to a very hard Kendrick track so I think that gives it a degree of cred (or would’ve done if it’d had time to breathe) Also I think it’s the point in the battle where the beats got really good….

I also think there’s probably an argument that Heart pt 6 wouldn’t have been so bad if it had been a response to Meet The Grahams or 6:16 (which it initially almost certainly was) but Not Like Us was so catchy and foregrounded the pedo stuff so much it made it look tonally misjudged, both musically and lyrically

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This remains the best song Drake has made recently and some random guy did it with AI :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I spent most of work today listening to all the diss tracks in order and then just randomly. Kendrick is quite a distance ahead.

quadrant

Same. Drake's angle in that one was about how he was the global star and people are taking shots because he's at the top, which is the right angle to take. Because honestly he is the biggest name in the rap world. He should have stayed there. Trouble with family matters was that Drake is never winning an argument on morals vs Kendrick, so why even go there. Criticising Kendrick for not being a real activist when you're pumping out tracks like Toosie Slide & Hotline Bling is kind of weird.

Lemoor

To me family matters had the highest highs in the entire thing, but it's bloated as feck and most of the stuff in the first 5 minutes could be cut without losing anything of value imo.

Pickle85

New Ghostface album is decent. Some good guest verses though the album tails of a little towards the end.

Sara125

Ring the Boomer klaxon for me too. Who the feck is Potter Payper?
Ayyy put some respect on his name :lol::lol: all jokes aside, you should take him in. I don’t know if you know about nines but if you do and you like rappers like him you’ll like potter.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Potter Payper is one of the UKs best rappers by miles. At the end of his career he could go down as one of the best ever.
Never heard of him. Then again I’ve never really been that drawn to UK rap.

M16Red

Never heard of him. Then again I’ve never really been that drawn to UK rap.
I think you'll like Little Simz and Dave.

While Potter is okay, his body of work isn't really that good.

Haven't listened to drake since the first 3 albums, was a bit pissed off with him biting the UK sound.

Even "who said bad man don't dance" was a hook stolen

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think you'll like Little Simz and Dave.

While Potter is okay, his body of work isn't really that good.

Haven't listened to drake since the first 3 albums, was a bit pissed off with him biting the UK sound.

Even "who said bad man don't dance" was a hook stolen

Yeah I’ve heard them both. Little Simz actually came out and did a song with Sampha when I saw him live last month. Still not a massive fan of Uk rap though. It just doesn’t grab me.

M16Red

Yeah I’ve heard them both. Little Simz actually came out and did a song with Sampha when I saw him live last month. Still not a massive fan of Uk rap though. It just doesn’t grab me.
Her introvert album is very good.

Both Dave albums, I put in the MADD city tier. Just press play and leave it.

Off topic but the Nia Archives album is very good.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Her introvert album is very good.

Both Dave albums, I put in the MADD city tier. Just press play and leave it.

Off topic but the Nia Archives album is very good.
Dave is fantastic, both albums are great but Physchodrama in particular is incredible.

Have to say I also really like Stormzy.

Mockney

Pfft, I bet none of you were listening to UK Hip Hop when it was Skinnyman, Jehst, Taskforce et al. But now it’s all trendy and in the charts everyone’s here for it. Glory hunters