Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He does, around 12 hours a week, only in podcastform.
Yeah. I started listening in the eatly days when he kicked it off. But it just got way too dramatic. Never revisited. Kinda coincided with Hip Hop falling off to an extent, and my music tastes changing. Still listen to loads of Hip Hop but I think I got to the age that wasting loads of my time finding new stuff became exhausting.

BeltUp

Supports
United
I still don't think any of the tracks touch No Vaseline, Ether or Hit 'em up. But that is also the reason all them beefs didn't have more tracks. I'm not even sure any of them are better than Paper plates, Don't body yourself, Story of Adidon, or Nail in the coffin either but I might have to listen to it all again.
I think They not like us is a bona fide rap beef classic now, up there with the best of them. However, I think you're right though, the more responses drop, the more forgotten each track gets. 2nd Round Knockout is my personal favourite beef track ever but the fact that LL and Bis kept on going back and forth made the whole drama start to feel tired.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So modern rap battles have (d)evolved into calling eachother nonces. Classy stuff.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Hardly devolving when many battle rappers main strategy was to accuse one another of being gay.
I liked it more when they talked about killing people, and I had sex with your wife, and not in those words, but...

lsd

The Oracle
Hardly devolving when many battle rappers main strategy was to accuse one another of being gay.

I mean the two greatest disses ever one is called No Vaseline and the other makes frequent jabs of Gay Z and worse :lol:

BootsyCollins

Yeah. I started listening in the eatly days when he kicked it off. But it just got way too dramatic. Never revisited. Kinda coincided with Hip Hop falling off to an extent, and my music tastes changing. Still listen to loads of Hip Hop but I think I got to the age that wasting loads of my time finding new stuff became exhausting.
The productivity is pretty unmatched i think, for podcasts. With the quality also.

For me its almost the other way around, i listen to more hip hop lately after listening to the pod, maybe more rnb as Joe seems to hate rap now :lol:

i am the same when its comes to new stuff, its to many releases almost so cant keep up. Have over 100 albums i want to listen to, but never finds the time, and when i do i often put on something old or another genre.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Oh so there's is a thread following on here.... Lttp but fecking hell anytime I here that latest track all I hear is "Drakes a nonce"

UnrelatedPsuedo

So modern rap battles have (d)evolved into calling eachother nonces. Classy stuff.
Much like someone further up loving Wiley calling Drake a Pagan… Kendrick just spitting “You're a fecking nonce mate” in an attempted London accent would dead the whole thing for Britain.

Godfather

Or fecking someone's wife or calling someone fat like Pac did. Real classic!!

So yeah I don't get these arguments either. All that whining about modern day hip hop.

Smithy89

Kendrick has removed the copyrights to his diss tracks meaning people reacting to them can also make bank, for the culture.

the_cliff

https://www.reddit.com/r/KendrickLamar/s/weJP8uNdfj

Proper rabbit hole shit but this is apparently some site run by an LA Lawyer who posts anonymously about all the shit going on in those circles. Some saying a lot matches up to stuff that’s ended up happening. It basically claims Drake is heavily involved with people like Dutchavelli (who has allegations about doing things with underage girls) and that Dutchavelli goes to Dubai and does grim things (beastiality for one) for money because he got cancelled in the UK. Also that someone ‘sold’ their sister to Drake so she could get her music career going. Also many other allegations about other rappers/singers.
This was Potter Payper a while ago.

Seems a few British rappers have some dirt on him.

Smithy89

I think They not like us is a bona fide rap beef classic now, up there with the best of them. However, I think you're right though, the more responses drop, the more forgotten each track gets. 2nd Round Knockout is my personal favourite beef track ever but the fact that LL and Bis kept on going back and forth made the whole drama start to feel tired.
I think in the future Euphoria and meet the Grahams will be looked at as top-tier disses. I think Euphoria is underrated out of them all right now, but not like us is brilliant and so replayable.

UnrelatedPsuedo

British rapper. More of an underground rapper than a mainstream one.
Ta.

I reckon Drake was probably fecking girls under 21, or the odd 18-20 year old while on his UK Grime vulture culture tear. 18 is fecking grim. 21 is weird. But I bet they were only ‘minors’ by US law.

None of this to support a thirtysomething fecking startstruck people 15-20 years his junior, but it’s (sadly) only Di Caprio adjacent, however disgusting.

the_cliff

Ta.

I reckon Drake was probably fecking girls under 21, or the odd 18-20 year old while on his UK Grime vulture culture tear. 18 is fecking grim. 21 is weird. But I bet they were only ‘minors’ by US law.

None of this to support a thirtysomething fecking startstruck people 15-20 years his junior, but it’s (sadly) only Di Caprio adjacent, however disgusting.
Who knows. I was just pointing out that these rumours have been going around for a while so Drake acting surprised that Kendrick wouldn't use it is quite confusing. There's not just talk from rappers, there's also that time he brought a 17 year old girl on stage and kissed her, his friendship with the 14/15 year old stranger things actress.

Basically Drake using rumours about Kendricks family life is fine but then he acts all holier than though and upset when Kendrick does the same thing. There's no proof for whatever both rappers are saying....

UnrelatedPsuedo

Who knows. I was just pointing out that these rumours have been going around for a while so Drake acting surprised that Kendrick wouldn't use it is quite confusing. There's not just talk from rappers, there's also that time he brought a 17 year old girl on stage and kissed her, his friendship with the 14/15 year old stranger things actress.

Basically Drake using rumours about Kendricks family life is fine but then he acts all holier than though and upset when Kendrick does the same thing. There's no proof for whatever both rappers are saying....
Oh I was just rolling with you telling me who the fella is tbf.

Kind of hope that none of the track content is true from either side as it’s pretty grim.

the_cliff

Oh I was just rolling with you telling me who the fella is tbf.

Kind of hope that none of the track content is true from either side as it’s pretty grim.
Yeah It is. Not like us is an absolute banger though even if it has no truth in it whatsoever. :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It's weird how there's an image of a random child going around. Some of the fanbases are really weird.
Yeah saw this on socials loads and then this video dropped. Like I said, probably bs but she kinda looks like him and her name is Eternity, which is the word K Dot used in Grahams when mentioning a daughter.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
To be fair Wibs, bringing up the Gallaghers isn't helping your boomer cause here :lol:
Oasis were 30 years after boomerdom finished. And well after Old School Hip Hop, the last time I really enjoyed the genre in general.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Anyway… Considering this is still technically the Commercial Hip Hop thread, it’s kinda funny that Macklemore of all people has made both these twos silly shit flinging look thoroughly unserious in the conscious rap stakes (whether you think it’s on point or not)

also easily the hardest beat of the last couple weeks (sample here)

* it’s actually pretty pathetic how few artists have made openly ‘counter culture’ protest music when you consider how integral it was to the supposedly seminal 60s & 70s scene, not to mention hip hop in late 80s/early 90s.

Last edited:

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Anyway… Considering this is still technically the Commercial Hip Hop thread, it’s kinda funny that Macklemore of all people has made both these twos silly shit flinging look thoroughly unserious in the conscious rap stakes (whether you think it’s on point or not)

* it’s actually pretty pathetic how few artists have made openly ‘counter culture’ protest music when you consider how integral it was to the supposedly seminal 60s & 70s scene, not to mention hip hop in late 80s/early 90s.
Respect. He's using his voice for something meaningful.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Great track from Macklemore.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Always liked Macklemore. Genuinely. Gets a lot of unwarranted hate