Cody Gakpo

Pulled out of two 50/50 tackles and then in the final minute of stoppage time, a cross ball was played to him in the air and he was outjumped by Lamptey.

He’s clearly a talent but has the heart of a pea.

Looks really poor from what I've seen.

Found it odd that the commentators kept praising him yesterday saying what a quality all around player he was. I thought he was awful.

Very glad we didn't go for him.

Found it odd that the commentators kept praising him yesterday saying what a quality all around player he was. I thought he was awful.

I noticed this as well, it's like they're trying to force a narrative, like we're just not seeing something. Meanwhile, United's new players get the "having trouble settling in to the PL" comments on a game by game basis.

Why are Liverpool insisting on playing him up front and Darwin on the wing? Are they worried he doesn't have the pace for the league/their style?

Why are Liverpool insisting on playing him up front and Darwin on the wing? Are they worried he doesn't have the pace for the league/their style?

My guess would be that when Darwin gets on the big chances he often misses. So they try out Gakpo to see if he’s better at it.

Yeah I do feel sorry for him as he’s being played out of position in a new league and underperforming team with high expectations.

Some Liverpool fans were posting that he was a great addition and could play anywhere in the front three. I pointed out that he’s literally played once or twice on the right and less than ten times as CF in his professional career to date. He’s undoubtedly a LW.

It is as if Liverpool didn’t bother to scout him or they were happy to spend 40m on a player to try and develop him in a role he doesn’t play.

When they have Jota and Diaz back I’ve no idea what the plan will be for him, and Nunez. 140m worth of player that doesn’t address the Firmino role or give anything on the right to allow Salah to move over.

Such a strange signing given they are crying out for a midfielder.

Ironically, a 1 on 1 swap for Weghorst would improve Liverpool right now, if not United.

They could've signed 20 Wouts with their Gakpo money. Imagine having 20 Wouts.

Because he is too slow to play on the wing in premier league. But he is not a center forward. Bad signing.

I noticed this as well, it's like they're trying to force a narrative, like we're just not seeing something. Meanwhile, United's new players get the "having trouble settling in to the PL" comments on a game by game basis.

It was a pain watching the match on BeIN sports where they had Jason Mcateer being a prick and praising the heart of Pool performance and an improved and energized Gakpo. I have no idea how these pundits on BeIN sports keep getting paid. I think the pre-requisite to getting a job as a pundit on BeIN sports is to be anti-United

The commentator was doing the same for Antony at the weekend. “Do you think Antony has been treated a bit unfairly? He has quality, he’s young, etc.”. This is before he even got into the game. It definitely seems a bit forced, but my guess is it’s a response to the bullying they’re getting on social media. Established are trying to act as the counterweight and show these new players that not everyone associated with the league is reactionary and / or cruel.

The commentator was doing the same for Antony at the weekend. “Do you think Antony has been treated a bit unfairly? He has quality, he’s young, etc.”. This is before he even got into the game. It definitely seems a bit forced, but my guess is it’s a response to the bullying they’re getting on social media. Established are trying to act as the counterweight and show these new players that not everyone associated with the league is reactionary and / or cruel.

Gave Antony MotM too which was a bit strange considering Casemiro's performance and 2 goals. But like you say could be a response to the bullying.

He is looking like another waste of money to me. Especially if their idea is to play him as a number 9, I don't think he can deal with the intensity of that part of the pitch in the premier league.

It was a pain watching the match on BeIN sports where they had Jason Mcateer being a prick and praising the heart of Pool performance and an improved and energized Gakpo. I have no idea how these pundits on BeIN sports keep getting paid. I think the pre-requisite to getting a job as a pundit on BeIN sports is to be anti-United

I was watching ITV and it was so odd the things they were praising him for. I thought I was being biased but then to be fair, a Liverpool fan I'm mates with messaged saying how bad he thinks Gakpo is.

The media narrative with some players is weird. When an opinion picks up steam it's so hard to change it, regardless of if it's good or bad.

My guess would be that when Darwin gets on the big chances he often misses. So they try out Gakpo to see if he’s better at it.

Yeah, I feel that they are aware that Darwin needs some settling in time to find his feet in the team/league. The time to have brought him into the team was probably when they still had Many and Salah functioning at their insanely high level.

Bringing in someone who is guaranteed to score whilst not looking like an immediate replacement would potentially alleviate Nunez' struggles so far. Issue is, it's looking like Gakpo doesn't really fit the bill as that sort of player. Someone like Trossard would probably have been a better option, and more in-line with the sort of players Klopp likes working with.

Gakpo may come good, and I liked him at the World Cup, but he looks like another long-term project rather than here-and-now fix.

That’s a good thing

That’s a good thing

Agreed. It comes across as a little forced and often the colour commentator makes it awkward by not quite going along with things, but from the little I know of social media bashing, there needs to be a counterweight. Ultimately it can’t quite balance out the sheer weight of random people acting like knobs on a constant basis, but I imagine having respected voices in football stand up for them helps.

I think it’s something Keane and co. haven’t quite caught onto yet. They think it’s just like their day when men were men and you just had to take it on the chin. Criticism toughens people up and makes them better. But they weren’t taking it on the chin from thousands of people every week from across the globe, with no way to defend yourself against it all. The role of mainstream football voices should be different now. I suspect there’ll be a point where something turns out really bad and a better new balance is struck.

For now, this seems helpful on its own.

Always write Liverpool off at your peril, but Gakpo does look like a bad investment for them, especially if Klopp (allegedly) wants to use him as a #9?

Yeah, I feel that they are aware that Darwin needs some settling in time to find his feet in the team/league. The time to have brought him into the team was probably when they still had Many and Salah functioning at their insanely high level.

Bringing in someone who is guaranteed to score whilst not looking like an immediate replacement would potentially alleviate Nunez' struggles so far. Issue is, it's looking like Gakpo doesn't really fit the bill as that sort of player. Someone like Trossard would probably have been a better option, and more in-line with the sort of players Klopp likes working with.

Gakpo may come good, and I liked him at the World Cup, but he looks like another long-term project rather than here-and-now fix.

I'd agree with this. Liverpool already signed a few longer term projects in the Summer and if Gakpo does end up being a longer term project then it'll be a poor rebuild job.

Still think it's too early too tell with Gakpo as most players do need a settling in period before it's fair to judge them. But he's not had a good start.

To be fair Antony is being treated a bit unfairly. If Liverpools signings played as well as Antony did v Spurs, Arsenal ( twice) and Chelsea then they’d be salivating at the mouth. Even Antony’s goal away to City would be in a loop for 6 months

Weird article in today's Graun by Jamie Jackson where he bashes the Glasers for not backing Ten Hag in the transfer window. He dwells at length on the missed opportunity to buy Gakpo. Jackson throws out phrases like United needing a "fleet-footed finisher" and "elite centre-forward". Has he even watched Gakpo? He's not fleet-footed or a centre-forward and he is not elite yet, and may or may not be in the future.

Do we know whether ETH even wanted him in January?

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d-lack-of-ambition-by-not-spending-in-january

Always write Liverpool off at your peril, but Gakpo does look like a bad investment for them, especially if Klopp (allegedly) wants to use him as a #9?

Ive been writing Liverpool off for around thirty years now and it’s been at my peril for about 4% of that time.

They bought Nunez AND Gakpo :lol:
Both of these were our priority signings, Nunez top of the list in the summer, Gakpo about 5th in the summer list, but top of the Jan list. We could have easily signed these two players instead of liverpool. Not every signing hits the ground running, not every signing works out, but why laugh at buying two players we would have bought if our club was run competently?

Both of these were our priority signings, Nunez top of the list in the summer, Gakpo about 5th in the summer list, but top of the Jan list. We could have easily signed these two players instead of liverpool. Not every signing hits the ground running, not every signing works out, but why laugh at buying two players we would have bought if our club was run competently?
You've just made this up.

The Guardian article is bizarre, Weghorst will probably prove to be the better signing.

Weird article in today's Graun by Jamie Jackson where he bashes the Glasers for not backing Ten Hag in the transfer window. He dwells at length on the missed opportunity to buy Gakpo. Jackson throws out phrases like United needing a "fleet-footed finisher" and "elite centre-forward". Has he even watched Gakpo? He's not fleet-footed or a centre-forward and he is not elite yet, and may or may not be in the future.

Do we know whether ETH even wanted him in January?

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d-lack-of-ambition-by-not-spending-in-january
Gardeons football writing has been dire for years, really dire.

I don’t recall that Nunez was at all a top target for us……..…as for Gakpo I had been hoping we wouldn’t buy him as I always felt he’s very overrated. If they were both “top” targets, they would have been RRs or OGSs…….. so we haven’t missed out at all. And finally, that Liverpool‘s two big money signings aren’t yet working out usually provides the average United fan with some pleasure, frankly. Nothing unusual or wrong about finding that amusing.

I don’t recall that Nunez was at all a top target for us……..…as for Gakpo I had been hoping we wouldn’t buy him as I always felt he’s very overrated. If they were both “top” targets, they would have been RRs or OGSs…….. so we haven’t missed out at all. And finally, that Liverpool‘s two big money signings aren’t yet working out usually provides the average United fan with some pleasure, frankly. Nothing unusual or wrong about finding that amusing.
We'd been negotiating for him for a couple weeks before Liverpool showed up and wrapped the deal up in an afternoon.

Fan fiction.