Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasnt a fan of him coming in the summer, still not a fan now. He's a good player, but it's too much of a risk. Rather get a proper striker next summer and invest the rest in a CM and a replacement for AWB and possibly De Gea?

I liked every single signing Ten Hag wanted, but this one is the first I'm just not sure about. He had a good WC, but he still has games for PSV where he goes missing. Antony barely had those.

320388684_5773874056021949_9079785901771408188_n.jpg

He’d either be coming to play through the middle, or we’ll try Rashford there again.

Good player but I just dont see him as a strike, not currently anyway......personally the signing doesnt make sense at all and though talented, I think he is overpriced and if we make the signing in January we will still be talkign about striker signings in the summer wht to do with Martial....how we have four left wingers. Its just a poor signing for me, unlike Van de Beek, not because he is average as he has a lot of good attributes, he just isnt what we need at all

Good player but I just dont see him as a strike, not currently anyway......personally the signing doesnt make sense at all and though talented, I think he is overpriced and if we make the signing in January we will still be talkign about striker signings in the summer wht to do with Martial....how we have four left wingers. Its just a poor signing for me, unlike Van de Beek, not because he is average as he has a lot of good attributes, he just isnt what we need at all

It does. Look around modern football, how many out and out strikers do you see.

Here you have a forward who can strike the ball expertly, can create chances and is 6'4.

We are also playing a with a front 3 in front of Bruno. Yesterday the front 3 were a bit more narrow. I think he's going for interchangeability. One of Rashford or Gakpo will end up as our Centre forward. Martial will support them with rotation. Sancho is also in the mix. Essentially we will have 5 top quality players who can play 3 positions. Similar to what Liverpool was doing last season.

In addition, Gakpo can also play as a 10 and can supplement Bruno.

Has anyone actually seen him play in these multiple positions? Because everytime I seen him play in his favorite left position he's been average

Under ETH Rashford is showing much better form down the middle or on the right so bring Gakpo in and play him down the left, Rashford down the middle, Antony on the right with Garnacho, Martial and hopefully soon Sancho on the bench and we'll be looking a lot stronger before obviously signing Mbappe in the summer

When we get the Dubai or Qatari money

Fundamentally we don't need him to be a technical colossus for us. What we need is for him to be the perfect system player for ten Hag. That's all. It's about functionality, afterall. Erik certainly knows how he fits into his plans and I'm sure he isn't ignorant of any relative deficiencies. Ultimately it's a question of how pragmatic a player he is for the way ten Hag wants to play. Yes he plays off the sides like various other players we have, but he seems to be a lot more clinical and consistent in front of goal than them too. If he's got the work ethic to press (where often Martial and Rashford have struggled in) and add some quality in front of goal, then that's an improvement from a system perspective.

Don't think he's the right type of player but I trust ten Hag vision of how he wants the squad to look and play.

So if PSV never had financial problems we wouldn't have entered talks???
What a load of old shite!

I think it was reported back in the summer that PSV were or may have financial issues. It was made worse when they got knocked out of the CL early. I assume they meant that there is now a sense of urgency to get some dosh into their coffers.

I think it was reported back in the summer that PSV were or may have financial issues. It was made worse when they got knocked out of the CL early. I assume they meant that there is now a sense of urgency to get some dosh into their coffers.
Well that would infer a cheap price.
Watch this space.

What would the front 3 be if we sign him. Gakpo, martial, rashford? Not keen on rashford from the right. I’d much prefer to spend 40m on a striker. We can easily pick up a decent striker to do a job for 40m.

I really like and rate him
Great football brain and natural finisher
Bargain of a deal, mark my words

I would have preferred a natural build striker. But I can see where this is going, it’s a modern younger Ronaldo (I will not compare their talent). But he will play in a similar role up front, just without trash talking. I like this buy, but this should be the last overpriced Dutch/Dutch league player for now.

He's not a genuine number 9 at this point in his career imo. Having said that he may develop into one and could be a hit. I often see a lot of clubs (especially in Serie A) loan players with a view to buying. We should be smart, maybe go in with a loan with option to buy, if PSV need the money and all that. Offer them £8-£10 million for the loan with a future fee of £30mill or something like that and let's see what he does. If he's not the answer we go elsewhere in the summer.

I’ll say it again. Sadio Mane…

Leaving this here so I can comeback and claim it first like Soulja boy.

Has anyone actually seen him play in these multiple positions? Because everytime I seen him play in his favorite left position he's been average

He wasn't average Vs Arsenal in Europa League. They battered them and he had 2 goals ruled out I think for very tight offside calls. Finishes were excellent.

Who is going to head in his crosses?
Valid question.

You could also ask, if we get an aerially dominant 9 instead of Gakpo - who is going to supply the crosses from the right for him to head in? Because Rashford, Garnacho and Sancho are not particularly brilliant at pinpoint crosses.

Alll of which suggests we need 2 forwards - a flexible wide forward and a traditional number 9. And we're only getting the first one in January (probably because it's cheaper), with the other to follow in the summer.

Valid question.

You could also ask, if we get an aerially dominant 9 instead of Gakpo - who is going to supply the crosses from the right for him to head in? Because Rashford, Garnacho and Sancho are not particularly brilliant at pinpoint crosses.

Alll of which suggests we need 2 forwards - a flexible wide forward and a traditional number 9. And we're only getting the first one in January (probably because it's cheaper), with the other to follow in the summer.

Antony?

A player that ETH wants and he wants to play for us. To me that sounds like an absolute great signing, not the finished article yet but will be in the next 12 months.

Comeback soon and realise they're nothing alike.
I think the point he’s making is many people turned their nose up at Mane despite plenty of evidence suggesting he was a good player.

Gakpo I believe is a similar situation only in terms of how many people are writing him off as not good enough despite consistent high performance for 1 1/2 seasons arguably 2 1/2 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.