Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't America still have the death penalty? I don't see people suggesting we totally cut ties with them. And before you say it's warranted

At least 190 people who were sentenced to death since 1972 have since been exonerated, about 2.2% or one in 46

That's 190 totally innocent people America have executed in the last 50 years

Use your brain, I implore you. Just once. Please, I beg you.

Imagine wanting to be owned by a company that cant even make a legible website. in dark mode
That applies to most corporations, decisions on these sorts of things tend to be made by marketing types who know feck all about actual websites

Use your brain, I implore you. Just once. Please, I beg you.

So you think killing those 190 innocent people was warranted, basically so thay they get to kill guilty people rather than send them to jail. The death penalty is never warranted, because there's always the chance of killing someone innocent and you can't bring them back to life when they're exonerated

It warms my heart to know you follow my posting activity so closely Robbie.;)

Seriously though you're saying I'm seeing what I want to see, how so?

I'm making an observation, that being that a lot of pro Qatar posters are spending a lot of time putting every negative spin they can think of on the Ineos bid but not putting the same effort into the Jassim bid.

Are you saying that isn't happening?

Not hard to see the same posters pop up time and again tbh.

I'm saying it's happening on both 'sides', but you're choosing to point one out.

You asked, and Saudi Arabia is the topic becuase they're just now murdering kids. According to Amnesty, the use of death penalty as punishment has increased sevenfold in the last three years.

Some people get quite annoyed when it is pointed out that some MIddle East countries are among the most barbaric and repressive on the planet. Like it's racist to quote Amnesty.

That said most of us are OK with the club being owned by them so that's that. It's not like football is a moral undertaking any more. It's only values are greed and power.

So you think killing those 190 innocent people was warranted, basically so thay they get to kill guilty people rather than send them to jail. The death penalty is never warranted, because there's always the chance of killing someone innocent and you can't bring them back to life when they're exonerated

Use. Your. Brain. Connect the dots. Take the extremely clear hint I'm giving you. Stop getting the simplest things in the world wrong.

Obviously that we totally shut them off from the west culturally until they share our values (ignoring that 60 years ago in the west America had segregation and Britain had homosexuality outlawed), apart from when we're buying their oil snd gas and selling them weapons. That always improves things in oppressive regimes right, making them more insular?

Well to be fair the US and the Uk changed and that change didn't come about because Western countries started buying footballs clubs and companies in other parts of the world.

The same people complaining about Qatar and morality, will be the same people buying iphones that are built in some Chinese sweat shop, while wearing sports gear made by some 12 year old Indian kid. While filling their car up with fuel sourced from the middle east, while driving to Starbucks and buying their groceries from Sainsbury's. Then ordering products from Amazon.
That's just what you say to justify your lack of principles. Based on nothing like a daily mail article because it suits.

Use. Your. Brain. Connect the dots. Take the extremely clear hint I'm giving you. Stop getting the simplest things in the world wrong.

Tell you what, why don't you use your brain and type your fecking point out instead of expecting me to be a mind reader, the death penalty is never warranted, ever. But we don't ostracise america for still having it

Well to be fair the US and the Uk changed and that change didn't come about because Western countries started buying footballs clubs and companies in other parts of the world.

No, obviously things do progress over time, but change will likely be a lot faster if the next generation grows up with cultural alignment with more tolerant cultures than being totally insular

Tell you what, why don't you use your brain and type your fecking point out instead of expecting me to be a mind reader, the death penalty is never warranted, ever. But we don't ostracise america for still having it

No, I'm trying to give you at least a minimum amount of credit. What can my position on the death penalty in America possibly be? What could I conceivably think about a US state takeover of football clubs?

No, obviously things do progress over time, but change will likely be a lot faster if the next generation grows up with cultural alignment with more tolerant cultures than being totally insular

Russia seems to have gone the other way despite everything in the last 20 years.

No, I'm trying to give you at least a minimum amount of credit. What can my position on the death penalty in America possibly be? What could I conceivably think about a US state takeover of football clubs?

I'm not talking about a US state takeover, I'm talking about the close ties between our countries, our militaries training together. The president visiting our country and the prime minister visiting there's. There's no outcry from people like Wumminator, who said the Saudis should feck off until they stop executing people, I have never heard the same complaints about our clos cultural ties with America. Not to mention between super PACs and the amount of donations senators and the like receive, and subsidies large businesses receive in America, that while there isn't quite the same symbiotic relationship between government and private business that exists in these oil states, they certainly aren't entirely independent from one another

Well I'd say prolonged periods of multiculturalism likely helped, people with black or gay friends or neighbours become more tolerant over time. In the same way exposure to more tolerant cultures will likely help things there. Maybe things can improve themselves but it would probably take longer than having cultural ties with the west, like I said in the last 5 years women have been granted a lot more rights in Saudi Arabia. Would you trade that for banning the Saudis from investing in western culture because it makes you uncomfortable?

My dad was probably the most racist person I’ve ever known. He was awful, to the point where I was totally embarrassed about my mates meeting him. I grew up in a multicultural environment and had friends from different cultural backgrounds. I know his racism came from his experiences growing up in Moss Side/Withington during the 1940s/50s and I get it, but it was was just circumstances at that particular time, but we move on, for the better. Hopefully this is the case for Middle Eastern countries.

Russia seems to have gone the other way despite everything in the last 20 years.

I'd say the people in Russia are probably somewhat more tolerant than in the 90s, when it was the soviet Union etc. I suppose part of the issue is that its possible for a cultural to become more progressive and tolerant, while also remaining autocratic and intolerant of any dissent of the regime.

;)

Never said it wasn't.

But in that case then please enlighten me as to what I'm seeing that isn't there then?

When you relentlessly post one viewpoint on a public forum, it's hard not to miss, especially in a thread as active as this one.

Not sure why you're pointing out one sides biases when you admit it's happening on both sides :confused:

I'm not talking about a US state takeover, I'm talking about the close ties between our countries, our militaries training together. The president visiting our country and the prime minister visiting there's. There's no outcry from people like Wumminator, who said the Saudis should feck off until they stop executing people, I have never heard the same complaints about our clos cultural ties with America. Not to mention between super PACs and the amount of donations senators and the like receive, and subsidies large businesses receive in America, that while there isn't quite the same symbiotic relationship between government and private business that exists in these oil states, they certainly aren't entirely independent from one another

Personally, I'm completely indifferent to all of this as my connection to the club and the sport in general is far smaller than it was when I was younger, but you're quite clearly being obtuse about this.

There is a marked difference between the enforcement of a death penalty in the US and the degree in which it is enforced in nations such as Saudi Arabia.

Jumping hoops over your assumption that I'm fine with the death penalty in the US, you're too transparent.

This is all in the context of football. Wumminator isn't talking about either Saudi or American military exercises, or governmental visits. It has never happened. Super PACs are for American internal politics, have you ever heard Wumminator criticising Saudi politicians for how they spend campaign money? You're just making things up as you go along, this is so stupid. Make an effort.

My dad was probably the most racist person I’ve ever known. He was awful, to the point where I was totally embarrassed about my mates meeting him. I grew up in a multicultural environment and had friends from different cultural backgrounds. I know his racism came from his experiences growing up in Moss Side/Withington during the 1940s/50s and I get it, but it was was just circumstances at that particular time, but we move on, for the better. Hopefully this is the case for Middle Eastern countries.

Well that's what I think, that people who grow up in homogenous cultures, who don't know any gay people or any black people but just hear from their parents that these people are bad and have nothing to counter that likely turn out the same way themselves, whereas people growing up seeing people with different skin colour, beliefs or seuxality, interacting with these people makes them less likely to be intolerant. And I think a closer cultural alignment with the west will have a similar effect, not on people who are adults in these countries now but the next generation and especially the one after that

When you relentlessly post one viewpoint on a public forum, it's hard not to miss, especially in a thread as active as this one.

Not sure why you're pointing out one sides biases when you admit it's happening on both sides :confused:
Isn't that exactly what you're doing here ?

Jumping hoops over your assumption that I'm fine with the death penalty in the US, you're too transparent.

This is all in the context of football. Wumminator isn't talking about either Saudi or American military exercises, or governmental visits. It has never happened. Super PACs are for American internal politics, have you ever heard Wumminator criticising Saudi politicians for how they spend campaign money? You're just making things up as you go along, this is so stupid. Make an effort.

My point about the super PACs is that private businessmen in America have close links with the government, can be influential regarding policy, but people here claim that they'd have no issue with a rich American billionaire buying us because its not the state, but they are more closely linked than you might imagine.

Isn't that exactly what you're doing here ?

No? I haven't publicly stated who I back, or if I want either of them. So, I'm not being biased or belittling anyones stance; whether they want SJR or SJ. But as a keen reader of this thread, I can say that both sides talk absolute shite and repeat themselves every hour. There's very, very little good posting in here.

But, people making out anyone that favours Qatar have all these biases - is correct - but its weird as it totally ignores the biases on from the SJR crowd.

Personally, I'm completely indifferent to all of this as my connection to the club and the sport in general is far smaller than it was when I was younger, but you're quite clearly being obtuse about this.

There is a marked difference between the enforcement of a death penalty in the US and the degree in which it is enforced in nations such as Saudi Arabia.

Yes, but then you're talking about a difference of degree rather than actual difference in principle. No one is denying the Saudi state is worse than these other places, but I don't think telling them to feck off is going to improve things, I think cultural alignment with more tolerant cultures will

;)

Well at that stage there are a lot more Pro Qatar posters so we are seeing a lot more of that side biases, I was simply highlighting how they aren't asking the same questions of the Jassim bid.

But anyway Robbie getting back to the question, I'm genuinely interested, what am I seeing that wasn't there? You said I'm seeing what I want to see? What was that again?

Not sure I wholly agree with the circumstances bit, my dad grew up in the same time period in West Gorton, his parents were racist no question, he joined the Navy and ended up serving in Malta for a while, on a trip home his mum slammed the door in his face because he had a serious suntan and she couldn't possibly envisage her son with that skin color, one of his sisters had to let him in the house, he's definitely not a racist, when I was a teenager we lived next door to a West Indian family, they'd sit outside having a beer together

Yes, but then you're talking about a difference of degree rather than actual difference in principle. No one is denying the Saudi state is worse than these other places, but I don't think telling them to feck off is going to improve things, I think cultural alignment with more tolerant cultures will

At this point I think you need to take a step back and evaluate what exactly it is you're arguing for.

For one, the Saudis aren't even involved.

Well that's what I think, that people who grow up in homogenous cultures, who don't know any gay people or any black people but just hear from their parents that these people are bad and have nothing to counter that likely turn out the same way themselves, whereas people growing up seeing people with different skin colour, beliefs or seuxality, interacting with these people makes them less likely to be intolerant. And I think a closer cultural alignment with the west will have a similar effect, not on people who are adults in these countries now but the next generation and especially the one after that

The problem here is a few posters in particular are either missing the point deliberately or are being disingenuous.

Nobody is suggesting that buying a football club will solve everybody's problems.

What it does is brings more exposure and more eyes and ears onto a topic or sensitive issue such as this one.

The simple fact is that it's more likely to improve things rather than deteriorate them.

;)

Well at that stage there are a lot more Pro Qatar posters so we are seeing a lot more of that side biases, I was simply highlighting how they aren't asking the same questions of the Jassim bid.

But anyway Robbie getting back to the question, I'm genuinely interested, what am I seeing that wasn't there? You said I'm seeing what I want to see? What was that again?

Think you need to re-read your initial post lad. You've admitted there's biases on both sides so I'm glad you aren't blind enough to admit that. Job done.

Not sure I wholly agree with the circumstances bit, my dad grew up in the same time period in West Gorton, his parents were racist no question, he joined the Navy and ended up serving in Malta for a while, on a trip home his mum slammed the door in his face because he had a serious suntan and she couldn't possibly envisage her son with that skin color, one of his sisters had to let him in the house, he's definitely not a racist, when I was a teenager we lived next door to a West Indian family, they'd sit outside having a beer together

I don't think anyone is suggesting that every single person will grow up to be racist without multiculturalism, just that experience of other cultures, likely makes you more tolerant, everything else being equal

Not even Putin?

He is literally...Putin.

Could we not keep morality posts to the “would you be ok with state ownership” thread instead of also spamming this thread with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.