Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The response was they were still awaiting clarity, which is very different from no comment.

Here are the leading sentences from each story.

Reuters: "English football club Manchester United is negotiating granting exclusivity to the consortium led by Qatar's Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad al-Thani in talks to sell itself for more than $6 billion, people familiar with the matter said on Thursday".

AFP: "A source close to Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani said Thursday that the Qatari bidders were still awaiting clarity from Manchester United after a report suggested they could be offered exclusivity in the battle to buy the club".

Reuters said one thing, AFP said another. AFP, by printing a literal quote from SJ's side, are telling us in broad daylight that they cannot corroborate what Reuters are saying. Therefore, they are in conflict with one another.

They aren't necessarily in conflict, if they're negotiating granting exclusivity then Qatar can still be awaiting clarity in finding out if they've been granted exclusivity

If they can't corroborate it, then that's all you need to know. If the story was true, more outlets would have gotten ahold of the same information and confirmed it. That's how it works in the news business. Even if one outlet breaks a story, other outlets quickly follow suit once they've done their due diligence. That hasn't happened here.
Or they just haven't got the source that Reuters had.

Well to be fair the US and the Uk changed and that change didn't come about because Western countries started buying footballs clubs and companies in other parts of the world.

Also worth pointing out that some of that change was more recent than a lot of people might think - e.g. it was still illegal for two adults to perform a private, consensual homosexual act until as recently as the 1980s in Scotland and Ireland.

Spot on, and they only said they were looking in to it, as far as I'm aware they have never actually said publicly that the are definitely selling, having said that, with 1700+ pages I might have missed that

Everything at this point is a trigger for confirmation bias. The slightest suggestive glimmer that one side has the edge instantly sends its supporters frolicking about like Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music.

No need to get arsey bud, I have zero qualms with you.

I just think sometimes you need to read what people are actually writing instead of looking for the win. Other than that, you're all good.

The irony mate.

My last post was light hearted.

feck me getting arsey, Jesus.

Your original point was that I was in favour of the death penalty in the US, which you tried to use as a pro-Qatar argument. After you realized that you were being dumb you tried to pivot, and scrambled to think of Super PACs and presidential visits.

Was it? I thought I was replying to Wumminator who said that. Unless you're his alt. And it wasn't being dumb, because saying the death penalty is the sign of a repressive regime is somewhat odd when our closest ally geopolitical still has the death penalty

Not sure I wholly agree with the circumstances bit, my dad grew up in the same time period in West Gorton, his parents were racist no question, he joined the Navy and ended up serving in Malta for a while, on a trip home his mum slammed the door in his face because he had a serious suntan and she couldn't possibly envisage her son with that skin color, one of his sisters had to let him in the house, he's definitely not a racist, when I was a teenager we lived next door to a West Indian family, they'd sit outside having a beer together
The circumstances bit is a difficult subject. I sort of get what he meant, he describes it as an invasion and they took over moss side, but I think it was more of the way politicians decided to integrate immigrants at the time was more of the problem. All my mum and dads family knew was that small area of Manchester and they were push out. My dad also served in the Navy, on the HMS Vanguard.

Yes, they are paying Raine tens of millions of dollars to not facilitate the sale of the club.
I have no idea what or who they are paying, for all I know what the pay Raine might be dependent on them actually selling, TBH I don't really care!

The irony mate.

Jeez, all this to a lighthearted jab; irony indeed.

Listen, I get it, you're invested in one side here. I'm sorry for winding you up; I was genuinely just pointing out the biases are absolutely rampant on both sides. As I said, you're all good buddy.

Or that the Reuters side may have jumped the gun. Confirmation bias works both ways.
You're making them out to be some shit-stirring tabloid for some reason. You genuinely come across like you have some sort of personal vendetta against them.

Confirmation bias is that the new buzzword to use against the pro-Qatar posters?

Was it? I thought I was replying to Wumminator who said that. Unless you're his alt. And it wasn't being dumb, because saying the death penalty is the sign of a repressive regime is somewhat odd when our closest ally geopolitical still has the death penalty

Yes.

So you think killing those 190 innocent people was warranted, basically so thay they get to kill guilty people rather than send them to jail. The death penalty is never warranted, because there's always the chance of killing someone innocent and you can't bring them back to life when they're exonerated

The circumstances bit is a difficult subject. I sort of get what he meant, he describes it as an invasion and they took over moss side, but I think it was more of the way politicians decided to integrate immigrants at the time was more of the problem. All my mum and dads family knew was that small area of Manchester and they were push out. My dad also served in the Navy, on the HMS Vanguard.
My Dad was in for 7 years and served on HMS Bulwark for all of 6 weeks, the only ship he served on! He was an aero engineer in the Fleet Air Arm, one of his more memorable duties was the pig keeper at RNAS Abbotsinch, now Glasgow Airport, it's also where he met my Mum

You're making them out to be some shit-stirring tabloid for some reason. You genuinely come across like you have some sort of personal vendetta against them.

Confirmation bias is that the new buzzword to use against the pro-Qatar posters?

Reuters are a news service, and still the only one saying one thing. And yet you're believing them without considering any alternatives because you so desperately want what they're saying to be true, instead of waiting for more information to corroborate whether it is or not. Confirmation bias would therefore be an accurate way of describing it.

That was in response to you replying to my quote of Wumminator. So it was him I was originally replying to. My reply to him was saying that it's odd telling a country to feck off til it shares our values completely when even our closest ally wouldn't pass that test.

Reuters are a news service, and still the only one saying one thing. And yet you're believing them without considering any alternatives because you so desperately want what they're saying to be true, instead of waiting for more information to corroborate whether it is or not. Confirmation bias would therefore be an accurate way of describing it.
Reuters are a very reliable news service yes. Your attempts to diminish them are a bit laughable. RMC backed the report up with their own sources.

I've considered the alternatives and they are inferior (Times) in terms of reliability and or impartiality. Matt Dickinson is briefed by INEOS.

Also, I'm not desperate for anything. I would prefer Qatar to take over but not adverse to Ratcliffe buying us either. I just want it done so we can move on.

Jeez, all this to a lighthearted jab; irony indeed.

Listen, I get it, you're invested in one side here. I'm sorry for winding you up; I was genuinely just pointing out the biases are absolutely rampant on both sides. As I said, you're all good buddy.

I don't actually want either party to own United, of the 2 being state owned is less preferable for me personally. But it's going to be one of them so what can we do.

You didn't wind me up at all mate. All I was doing was pointing out the double standards of one side. The other side do it too I know.

Reuters are a very reliable news service yes. Your attempts to diminish them are a bit laughable. RMC backed the report up with their own sources.

I've considered the alternatives and they are inferior (Times) in terms of reliability and or impartiality. Matt Dickinson is briefed by INEOS.

Also, I'm not desperate for anything. I would prefer Qatar to take over but not adverse to Ratcliffe buying us either. I just want it done so we can move on.

No one is diminishing Reuters. We're saying wait for more credible sources to confirm what they're saying before believing it as gospel.

No need to get arsey bud, I have zero qualms with you.

I just think sometimes you need to read what people are actually writing instead of looking for the win. Other than that, you're all good.
Will you two just kiss already

I don't actually want either party to own United, of the 2 being state owned is less preferable for me personally. But it's going to be one of them so what can we do.

You didn't wind me up at all mate. All I was doing was pointing out the double standards of one side. The other side do it too I know.

I know it's tense in here which is why I steer well clear. But, I'm genuinely shocked at some of the racism and xenophobia from both sides.

Our fanbase has been pretty fractured since the Jose days, and it's fair to say that no matter who wins, it's going to cause further division. There's already a lot of goading and 'getting one over' going on in here as it is.

I actually just come to this thread for updates as it's pretty fecking big news. But the thread has long descended into a battlefield.

No one is diminishing Reuters. We're saying wait for more credible sources to confirm what they're saying before believing it as gospel.
I'm not taking it as gospel. It's a very strong indicator of where this is probably heading though. That's all.

That was in response to you replying to my quote of Wumminator. So it was him I was originally replying to. My reply to him was saying that it's odd telling a country to feck off til it shares our values completely when even our closest ally wouldn't pass that test.

It was not, it was in response to this post, which was a reply to this from you, which again was you replying to my reply to Berbaclass.

I know it's tense in here which is why I steer well clear. But, I'm genuinely shocked at some of the racism and xenophobia from both sides.

Our fanbase has been pretty fractured since the Jose days, and it's fair to say that no matter who wins, it's going to cause further division. There's already a lot of goading and 'getting one over' going on in here as it is.

I actually just come to this thread for updates as it's pretty fecking big news. But the thread has long descended into a battlefield.

He did a number on us mate.

Our fanbase has been fractured since moyes, and iirc Wumminator was one of the big instigators then too :lol:

I seem to remember him continually telling everyone "your job now is to stand by our new manager" while moyes was breaking 40 year old records by losing at home to Newcastle. Maybe I'm misremembering slightly and he didn't use that quote but he was certainly very pro moyes, and considered those who weren't lesser fans

This is contradictory as your second sentence contradicts the first. If you believe Reuters to be a credible source and aren't diminishing them why do we need to wait for 'more credible' sources? Unless I'm reading what you've posted wrong.

What sources are more credible than reuters?

Our fanbase has been fractured since moyes, and iirc Wumminator was one of the big instigators then too :lol:

I seem to remember him continually telling everyone "your job now is to stand by our new manager" while moyes was breaking 40 year old records by losing at home to Newcastle. Maybe I'm misremembering slightly and he didn't use that quote but he was certainly very pro moyes, and considered those who weren't lesser fans

Moyes definitely had a-few fans, but nowhere near as many as Jose.

I feel the whole 'camps/sides' thing on here definitely started with Jose.

The response was they were still awaiting clarity, which is very different from no comment.

Here are the leading sentences from each story.

Reuters: "English football club Manchester United is negotiating granting exclusivity to the consortium led by Qatar's Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad al-Thani in talks to sell itself for more than $6 billion, people familiar with the matter said on Thursday".

AFP: "A source close to Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani said Thursday that the Qatari bidders were still awaiting clarity from Manchester United after a report suggested they could be offered exclusivity in the battle to buy the club".

Reuters said one thing, AFP said another. AFP, by printing a literal quote from SJ's side, are telling us in broad daylight that they cannot corroborate what Reuters are saying. Therefore, they are in conflict with one another.
I actually don’t think those two reports are conflicting with each other. Reuters doesn’t say who the Glazers are negotiating with. It seems to me more like the Glazers intentionally assure SJ through the media channel that he is not out of the race.

The irony mate.

The testosterone levels in here are rising tonight.

Everyone needs to chill. We all want the same for the club and that’s to challenge at the top again.

But people seem to have “picked a side” and won’t budge.

These should be exciting times yet everyone is frustrated and angry. This is what a Glazer regime does to us all.

Moyes definitely had a-few fans, but nowhere near as many as Jose.

I feel the whole 'camps/sides' thing on here definitely started with Jose.

Moyes was absolutely a huge division. Honestly if you're weren't on here at that time you can't imagine what it was like, after I think fhe league Cup knockout by Sunderland basically every game had half the fans calling for his head and others saying he needed more time. You had stewards being sent to protect the chosen one banner at old Trafford, you had fans rent a plane to fly above the stadium saying Moyes out :lol: it barely even feels real, it was like some bizarre fever dream

Don’t care about if or why Glazers got in touch.
But it has been reported including at the beginning of the process that the PSG owner has been asked for his view and it was also reported that he gave his OK for the take over (weird anyway that his ok even if “informal” is needed).

It's widely reported that the Glazers asked the psg owner for help regarding the sale. Nowhere have I seen anything about Jassim asking them about anything at all. Can you show us this information and I'll believe you but otherwise I think you're getting your wires crossed?

You can’t be serious? The very fact alone that most fans in this thread and in general now massively prefer having Qatar as owners over SJR shows just how well their sports washing machine works. In the eyes of many they are being portrayed as the GOOD guys.

In regards to UTD having a better future they are the GOOD guys going by the 2 bids.

This is contradictory as your second sentence contradicts the first. If you believe Reuters to be a credible source and aren't diminishing them why do we need to wait for 'more credible' sources? Unless I'm reading what you've posted wrong.
Reuters source could be the Glazers. Just because they are legit doesn't mean their stories and sources don't also have some sort of agenda. Just seems silly to start stanning for news corps, and choosing to believe one over another.

Status
Not open for further replies.