Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point I think you need to take a step back and evaluate what exactly it is you're arguing for.

For one, the Saudis aren't even involved.

I used the Saudis as an example because since they've begun investing in the West and seeking closer cultural ties, women have been granted quite a lot of rights they didnt have before, so it shows how these closer ties start moving things in the right direction. Its not going to be overnight, but it will change things over time

My point about the super PACs is that private businessmen in America have close links with the government, can be influential regarding policy, but people here claim that they'd have no issue with a rich American billionaire buying us because its not the state, but they are more closely linked than you might imagine.

This has to be a parody. My advice: the best thing you can do for the image of the Qatari takeover is to stop.

Other than a few somewhat conflicting reports the other day, there hasn't been news in a long time.
I'm convinced that if the club website announced the sale you'd comment saying that we need to wait for another source to confirm it :lol:

Not even Putin?

He is literally...Putin.

Well I wouldn't agree with killing the Russian head of state as it likely would spark nuclear war for the west to do that, but assuming that Russia deposed him and that wasn't a worry, then no, he should spend the rest of his life in jail, for me that's more suffering than immediate death anyway

I'm convinced that if the club website announced the sale you'd comment saying that we need to wait for another source to confirm it :lol:

If the club confirm it, then it would be official. If Reuters or AFP report two different things, along withe Times and one or two others, then its still a situation of conflicting reports, as the thread title states.

There's actual real news maybe every 400 pages!

True.

The only real plot points in this story were 7 months ago when the Glazers announced an interest to sell, and later, the emergence of Qatar and INEOS as the two primary contenders. Everything else is noise.

If the club confirm it, then it would be official. If Reuters or AFP report two different things, along withe Times and one or two others, then its still a situation of conflicting reports, as the thread title states.
Not sure they did.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that every single person will grow up to be racist without multiculturalism, just that experience of other cultures, likely makes you more tolerant, everything else being equal
Maybe, I have no idea whether he was exposed of not, probably not until he joined up, which he did to get away from his father, later on they reconciled, but secretly I bet my dad was pleased when I decided to support United because that really pissed off my Grandad who was a massive City fan (as is my Dad and his brother)

Think you need to re-read your initial post lad. You've admitted there's biases on both sides so I'm glad you aren't blind enough to admit that. Job done.

Do I? Ok maybe I'm confused let's rewind mate.

Yeah I see a lot negative spin on everything related to the Ineos bid but very little of that energy from the same people on the Qatar bid.
Think you're seeing what you want to see here. As an observer - not a participant in here - you're a poster I see pop up frequently with anti-SJ-ownership posts. So, naturally you're going to see things the way you want.

I'll ask a 3rd time here mate. You're a keen observer so should have no trouble answering.

What was I seeing that I wanted to see that wasn't there?

This has to be a parody. My advice: the best thing you can do for the image of the Qatari takeover is to stop.

There's more separation than in the oil states but most rich people help shape the laws in their countries

Still it's off topic, my original point was even though I do find the death penalty morally wrong, I don't think isolating these countries will improve things for the people living there, I don't think it'll stop people being executed there, and I think that morally, the practical outcomes for people living in these places should take precedent over wumminator feeling uncomfortable that these people own a football club

Do I? Ok maybe I'm confused let's rewind mate.

I'll ask a 3rd time here mate. You're a keen observer so should have no trouble answering.

What was I seeing that I wanted to see that wasn't there?

I've explained already buddy; the biases are on both sides with the same energy and relentless posters. Not sure what you're not getting here.

Stevoc, as much as you might want to win another internet debate by the power of being a massive pedant who loves to bold things, this one is clear cut. Anyway, I'll go back to being an observer, glad I could help though.

The Reuters piece was one of "something has happened", where as AFP's was closer to "feck all has happened". Neither were in any way corroborating of the other.
The Qatari response to the AFP was "no comment" the same as everyone else but Reuters (who broke the story) and RMC (who independently verified it with their own sources).

No? I haven't publicly stated who I back, or if I want either of them. So, I'm not being biased or belittling anyones stance; whether they want SJR or SJ. But as a keen reader of this thread, I can say that both sides talk absolute shite and repeat themselves every hour. There's very, very little good posting in here.

But, people making out anyone that favours Qatar have all these biases - is correct - but its weird as it totally ignores the biases on from the SJR crowd.
Agree that it's like Groundhog day in here and there is hypocrisy on both sides. But don't you feel like some of the demonizing of SJR and Ineos to be a bit over the top? Not that I'm defending the guy, but some of the posts feel like a reprisal against the criticism towards qatar. That vibe wasn't there before qatar showed up.

Well that's what I think, that people who grow up in homogenous cultures, who don't know any gay people or any black people but just hear from their parents that these people are bad and have nothing to counter that likely turn out the same way themselves, whereas people growing up seeing people with different skin colour, beliefs or seuxality, interacting with these people makes them less likely to be intolerant. And I think a closer cultural alignment with the west will have a similar effect, not on people who are adults in these countries now but the next generation and especially the one after that

I couldn’t agree more.

Could we not keep morality posts to the “would you be ok with state ownership” thread instead of also spamming this thread with it?

I strongly agree with this.

I think it’s necessary to not let the forum fanbase fracture too much. And keep things positive.

This should be a time for hope for Utd fans - AT feckING LAST.

We’ve waited 2 decades for this. Let’s keep that specific debate in 1 thread and get this back about the running of Utd.

Agree that it's like Groundhog day in here and there is hypocrisy on both sides. But don't you feel like some of the demonizing of SJR to be a bit over the top? Not that I'm defending the guy, but some of the posts feel like a reprisal against the criticism towards qatar.

I feel it's all very OTT. Pointing certain things out is fine, but there's been casual racism and rampant xenophobia from both 'sides' imo.

Anyway, I'm bowing out. This whole thread is in bad faith at this stage. No point getting involved, which I felt would be the case from the get-go.

True.

The only real plot points in this story were 7 months ago when the Glazers announced an interest to sell, and later, the emergence of Qatar and INEOS as the two primary contenders. Everything else is noise.
Spot on, and they only said they were looking in to it, as far as I'm aware they have never actually said publicly that the are definitely selling, having said that, with 1700+ pages I might have missed that

Spot on, and they only said they were looking in to it, as far as I'm aware they have never actually said publicly that the are definitely selling, having said that, with 1700+ pages I might have missed that
Yes, they are paying Raine tens of millions of dollars to not facilitate the sale of the club.

I've explained already buddy; the biases are on both sides with the same energy and relentless posters. Not sure what you're not getting here.

I can imagine.

Stevoc, as much as you might want to win another internet debate by the power of being a massive pedant who loves to bold things, this one is clear cut. Anyway, I'll go back to being an observer, glad I could help though.

Yeah that's probably for the best mate a great observer you are.

The Qatari response to the AFP was "no comment" the same as everyone else but Reuters (who broke the story) and RMC (who independently verified it with their own sources).

The response was they were still awaiting clarity, which is very different from no comment.

Here are the leading sentences from each story.

Reuters: "English football club Manchester United is negotiating granting exclusivity to the consortium led by Qatar's Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad al-Thani in talks to sell itself for more than $6 billion, people familiar with the matter said on Thursday".

AFP: "A source close to Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani said Thursday that the Qatari bidders were still awaiting clarity from Manchester United after a report suggested they could be offered exclusivity in the battle to buy the club".

Reuters said one thing, AFP said another. AFP, by printing a literal quote from SJ's side, are telling us in broad daylight that they cannot corroborate what Reuters are saying. Therefore, they are in conflict with one another.

Agree that it's like Groundhog day in here and there is hypocrisy on both sides. But don't you feel like some of the demonizing of SJR and Ineos to be a bit over the top? Not that I'm defending the guy, but some of the posts feel like a reprisal against the criticism towards qatar. That vibe wasn't there before qatar showed up.

Is their much demonisation of them? For me the concern is that in his statement Ratcliffe didn't commit to clearing the debt, that for me is the no.1 priority for any owner. I mean it's only natural if people are brining up moral concerns, that the billionaire chemicals owner who has links with Saudi Arabia and China is going to get caught in the crossfire, and if people weren't constantly mentioning moral issues it's less likely ratcliffe's own moral issues would be brought up. But I'd certainly take him over the Glazers, I just have concerns that he wouldn't be able to get us to challenge city. Things would likely be better but I don't think by enough

The response was they were still awaiting clarity, which is very different from no comment.

Here are the leading lines sentences from each story.

Reuters: "English football club Manchester United is negotiating granting exclusivity to the consortium led by Qatar's Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad al-Thani in talks to sell itself for more than $6 billion, people familiar with the matter said on Thursday".

AFP: "A source close to Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani said Thursday that the Qatari bidders were still awaiting clarity from Manchester United after a report suggested they could be offered exclusivity in the battle to buy the club".

Reuters said one thing, AFP said another. AFP, by printing a literal quote from SJ's side, are telling us in broad daylight that they cannot corroborate what Reuters are saying. Therefore, they are in conflict with one another.
The specific line is:

But the source close to the bid told AFP there were no official updates from Sheikh Jassim's side and no timetable for next steps.

That's pretty much no comment.

The AFP and Reuters articles are not contradictory.

Relentless as-per, take the L bud.

:lol:

Now, now Robbie don't be getting angry here mate. You replied to my post, all I asked was a question. If you don't want to answer it no worries.

I actually enjoy our conversations. You've always seemed a good lad.

There's more separation than in the oil states but most rich people help shape the laws in their countries

Still it's off topic, my original point was even though I do find the death penalty morally wrong, I don't think isolating these countries will improve things for the people living there, I don't think it'll stop people being executed there, and I think that morally, the practical outcomes for people living in these places should take precedent over wumminator feeling uncomfortable that these people own a football club

Your original point was that I was in favour of the death penalty in the US, which you tried to use as a pro-Qatar argument. After you realized that you were being dumb you tried to pivot, and scrambled to think of Super PACs and presidential visits.

:lol:

Now, now Robbie don't be getting angry here mate. You replied to my post, all I asked was a question. If you don't want to answer it no worries.

I actually enjoy our conversations. You've always seemed a good lad.

No need to get arsey bud, I have zero qualms with you.

I just think sometimes you need to read what people are actually writing instead of looking for the win. Other than that, you're all good.

The specific line is:

That's pretty much no comment.

The AFP and Reuters articles are not contradictory.

If they can't corroborate it, then that's all you need to know. If the story was true, more outlets would have gotten ahold of the same information and confirmed it. That's how it works in the news business. Even if one outlet breaks a story, other outlets quickly follow suit once they've done their due diligence. That hasn't happened here.

Here are the leading lines sentences from each story.

Those two statements are not contradictory though are they?

If it’s Raine which have leaked to Reuters and Qatari’s are still respecting the process and the NDAs that are in place then that’s as much a non-denial as it is a denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.