Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I've probably missed this in the thread, but have Sky not massively gone against the grain and said these Qatari's would only be interested in 10%?

That's a bit of a worry.
Why would you ever be worried about anything sky say :lol:

I can only speak for myself of course. I always want clubs like City, PSG, Chelsea or now Newcastle to lose.

I never laughed at United. United, Arsenal and Liverpool are still real clubs, the others are just plastics.

Look at Chelsea they have a squad of 38 players only 25 can be registered for EPL and CL. Top players will rott in the stands instead of being in the pitch for another team.
If in the future there will be even more of these teams with unlimited funds, the beautiful game will be destroyed.

I understand the frustration. On the other hand United has been one of the few clubs that could still compete with the plastics until recently. You haven't been successful not because of not enough funds but if poor management decisions.

I don't really get your point though. You are saying United have to deal with clubs cheating financially for years. And now, after ridiculing these plastics clubs for many years and saying so their titles are worth nothing, you suddenly don't mind to become an oil state club yourself. Mean all your future success, titles and trophies will be worth nothing.

Going into this will only derail the thread. So I'm just answering very briefly.
Even if our management wanted (which they don't) they wouldn't be able to give a majority stake to any investor. The 50+1 rule will prevent this.
Bayern is in strong decision due to many decades of outstanding success and management. Like United has been under Ferguson. This is completely different than City, Chelsea or now Newcastle. These clubs will be able to outspent any traditional club as long as their owners are willing too splash the cash, irrespectively of the success on the pitch.

Anyway I feel I'm derailing the thread. I'm just surprised how many here don't mind a Qatari takeover after bashing City & Co for many years.

All I would say is don't gloss over the fact that the Glazers bought the club with money they didn't have. Somehow were allowed to saddle that debt onto the club and then took a further billion out of it. You think they've spent money? The Glazers haven't spent a single dime of their own money. They've stolen over 1 billion from us. It's disgusting.

Consider thst United are the biggest club in the PL which has exploded in revenues and income over the last 15 years. Shouldn't the biggest club in by far the richest league be expected to have the Messi's, Neymar's, Mbappe's of this world? Where have they been over the last 15 years? Stolen from us by a combination of Glazers + fake oil clubs.

I would prefer that Qatar come in, pump in the billion plus stolen from us into the stadium and training facilities and then let the behemoth that is our club sustain itself in terms of transfers etc. However even if they come in and decide to go big Galactico style it doesn't actually change much from the natural order of things. As by rights the biggest club in by far the biggest league would be expected to have the ability to out-spend everyone no? It's definitely not the same as artificially boosted clubs like City, PSG and Chelsea. I suspect many will refuse to note that obvious difference though.

At 18:00

Mitten expects things to pick up next week and also says don’t rule out that a lot of the current news could be from the Glazers.

I can only speak for myself of course. I always want clubs like City, PSG, Chelsea or now Newcastle to lose.

I never laughed at United. United, Arsenal and Liverpool are still real clubs, the others are just plastics.

Look at Chelsea they have a squad of 38 players only 25 can be registered for EPL and CL. Top players will rott in the stands instead of being in the pitch for another team.
If in the future there will be even more of these teams with unlimited funds, the beautiful game will be destroyed.

I understand the frustration. On the other hand United has been one of the few clubs that could still compete with the plastics until recently. You haven't been successful not because of not enough funds but if poor management decisions.

I don't really get your point though. You are saying United have to deal with clubs cheating financially for years. And now, after ridiculing these plastics clubs for many years and saying so their titles are worth nothing, you suddenly don't mind to become an oil state club yourself. Mean all your future success, titles and trophies will be worth nothing.

Going into this will only derail the thread. So I'm just answering very briefly.
Even if our management wanted (which they don't) they wouldn't be able to give a majority stake to any investor. The 50+1 rule will prevent this.
Bayern is in strong decision due to many decades of outstanding success and management. Like United has been under Ferguson. This is completely different than City, Chelsea or now Newcastle. These clubs will be able to outspent any traditional club as long as their owners are willing too splash the cash, irrespectively of the success on the pitch.

Anyway I feel I'm derailing the thread. I'm just surprised how many here don't mind a Qatari takeover after bashing City & Co for many years.
To be fair I fall on your side. Although it’s different with United simply because our own money would be our cash injection. That’s how absurd our ownership is.
We have spent money on transfers but only half of what we could have spent and we only got away with that because they ignored Old Trafford and the training ground.

If basic United needs such as infrastructure were met then the rest of the world would have a better understanding of how shit the owners are since the transfer allowance we would have would have been a fraction of what they were. If we had a modern stadium and a top class training ground then I’d 100 percent say no to this but this is literally the only way we can get a reset and build what we should have had in the first place. Is it healthy for the club to turn this down? I’m starting to think not.

Instead we had a front 3 last night that came to a total cost of Weghorst loan fee from Burnley. We were on course for a title tilt yet could only afford your 4th (?) best midfielder on a loan.
It’s not the owners but I don’t want the money cheat code. If they do pump in money over the top of the revenue we bring in, and are allowed to spend, then fees become redundant for us.
English football fecked us over by allowing the takeover then sitting back and laughing at us for falling away under them. A large part of me says feck them and I hope we walk all over the league with Mbappe and Rashford up top.

Sorry I've probably missed this in the thread, but have Sky not massively gone against the grain and said these Qatari's would only be interested in 10%?

That's a bit of a worry.

They're not going to want a heavily indebted club run by the Glaziers, to improve their PR or the value of their investment.

If they want 10%, they'll want other investors as part of a consortium to own the other 90%.

All I would say is don't gloss over the fact that the Glazers bought the club with money they didn't have. Somehow were allowed to saddle that debt onto the club and then took a further billion out of it. You think they've spent money? The Glazers haven't spent a single dime of their own money. They've stolen over 1 billion from us. It's disgusting.

Consider thst United are the biggest club in the PL which has exploded in revenues and income over the last 15 years. Shouldn't the biggest club in by far the richest league be expected to have the Messi's, Neymar's, Mbappe's of this world? Where have they been over the last 15 years? Stolen from us by a combination of Glazers + fake oil clubs.

I would prefer that Qatar come in, pump in the billion plus stolen from us into the stadium and training facilities and then let the behemoth that is our club sustain itself in terms of transfers etc. However even if they come in and decide to go big Galactico style it doesn't actually change much from the natural order of things. As by rights the biggest club in by far the biggest league would be expected to have the ability to out-spend everyone no? It's definitely not the same as artificially boosted clubs like City, PSG and Chelsea. I suspect many will refuse to note that obvious difference though.

Preach!

Mitten expects things to pick up next week and also says don’t rule out that a lot of the current news could be from the Glazers.

What good would the Glazers lying do? It’s not a player transfer, they’ll still make their calculations and due diligence to come up with a number. Unless they out right lie and say there’s a 6b bid in the table then surely that only drives away potential buyers?

What good would the Glazers lying do? It’s not a player transfer, they’ll still make their calculations and due diligence to come up with a number. Unless they out right lie and say there’s a 6b bid in the table then surely that only drives away potential buyers?

It is Raine's job to excite interest and drive the price up. They can and will use the press to do that. I wouldn't give too much credence to anything you're reading at the moment - there will be a lot of disinformation floating around.

Every United fan has had to endure the Glazers. Nobody misunderstands the situation with regards to how we've been run under them. We all want investment in infrastructure and the knowledge that we can compete for the best players (which we have done, to be fair). None of that is up for contention. The problem is to do with being run by an oil powered autocrat who would be using the club as a vehicle for their own ends (they are buying themselves some serious soft power via one of the largest sports institutions in the world). Businessmen have always existed in football, but being state backed is an entirely different proposition which people rightfully are against.

It is Raine's job to excite interest and drive the price up. They can and will use the press to do that. I wouldn't give too much credence to anything you're reading at the moment - there will be a lot of disinformation floating around.
But wouldn’t it be public negotiations with Qatar? They’re the only party named while nameless bids from random consortiums from different continents are tagged on which looks really suspicious.
Seems really dangerous to misrepresent what looks like your main bidders position imo.
Also, didn’t they handle Chelsea’s sale? I don’t remember any of this happening during that period

That's a bit of a worry.
Sky are saying that QSI are only willing to discuss a minority stake whereas other reports suggest a private Qatari investment consortium would be able to go for a full takeover.

Sky are saying that QSI are only willing to discuss a minority stake whereas other reports suggest a private Qatari investment consortium would be able to go for a full takeover.

I thought QSI weren't involved. Besides I still don't understand why Qataris would opt for a minority stake. What benefit would they get?

QIA not QSI

if the 10 percent news is true I’m hoping it means QIA buy 10 percent and the other 90 is “private investors“ from Qatar. Then once they get rid of PSG they buy the whole thing

A lot of people seem incapable of separating the QSI from private Qatari investors. They’re two different things.

Yes, because if you read some of the responses, people don't believe that there are rich individuals in Qatar. Its like saying Glazer = Boehly just because they are American.

A lot of people seem incapable of separating the QSI from private Qatari investors. They’re two different things.

Yeah. It could be possible that QSI/QIA buy 10% in the club, and the remaining 90% from private individuals from Qatar, alongside David Beckham.

But wouldn’t it be public negotiations with Qatar? They’re the only party named while nameless bids from random consortiums from different continents are tagged on which looks really suspicious.
Seems really dangerous to misrepresent what looks like your main bidders position imo.
Also, didn’t they handle Chelsea’s sale? I don’t remember any of this happening during that period

At this stage, I'm yet to be convinced of interest in a full takeover from Qatar. I think Sky and the Associated Press probably have it right (Qatar only interested in a minority investment and any investment would come from QIA/QSI). The Telegraph also seem pretty suspicions of the information from Raine and have chosen to go with "mystery Arabic group" rather than give the Qatar link any real credence. As I said, games are afoot and it's hard to believe much of what you read. All will be revealed in the next month or so, though. I still think a US consortium of some kind are most likely to emerge as the front runners.

In fairness a lot of the reporting has been confused. Various different journalists have put forward various stories. Some claiming QSI only interest, QIA only interest, no state interest or some combination of state and private. At this point it's not a surprise people are confused. There's no consistent reporting, just claim and counter claim. Frankly, a lot of it just reads like speculation.

At this stage, I'm yet to be convinced of interest in a full takeover from Qatar. I think Sky and the Associated Press probably have it right (Qatar only interested in a minority investment and any investment would come from QIA/QSI). The Telegraph also seem pretty suspicions of the information from Raine and have chosen to go with "mystery Arabic group" rather than give the Qatar link any real credence. As I said, games are afoot and it's hard to believe much of what you read. All will be revealed in the next month or so, though. I still think a US consortium of some kind are most likely to emerge as the front runners.

Why bother buying a minority stake?

Yes, because if you read some of the responses, people don't believe that there are rich individuals in Qatar. Its like saying Glazer = Boehly just because they are American.

I'm sure Qatar is full of non-state affiliated individuals with 5 or more billions to "invest" into a Football Club

I'm sure Qatar is full of non-state affiliated individuals with 5 or more billions to "invest" into a Football Club

:lol: It is laughable. Ultimately though, the gullibility of posters on here isn't the test - it will come down to what UEFA and the Premier League believe (assuming we ever get to that stage).

Undoubtedly. However, is the right move to become another soulless oil state club?

Will the huge part of your fan base, which criticized, belittled and ridiculed the achievements of the sugar daddy and oil state clubs for decades, just shut their mouth and celebrate future success and trophies under the banner of Qatar or another state?
Or will a significant of your fanbase become disillusioned and turn their back on United, if this happens.

For me as lifelong Bayern Munich supporter, if an foreign state takes over the club, I just would be done with football. Bad enough these plastics clubs with unlimited funds are around, but once the club I love and support would become another toy of some Middle Eastern autocracy I would a call it a day.
No way I could support a club which became exactly that what I have detested for years.
My personal hope is that if we do get a state ownership, they'll put their money where their mouth is for stadium and infrastructure improvements, pay off any remaining debt from the Glazers, make sure they have the right people running the club, and then just feck off and let the club run itself. Basically fix all the things that are only an issue because of the mismanagement of our current owners over the last two decades.

We don't need a sugar-daddy to buy players for us. We make enough money we don't need that. The more money the owner (no matter who they are) spends on the team itself, the more it cheapens anything we achieve. We'd also be playing a huge part in accelerating inflation in football with transfer fees and whatnot. My worry is that I could see a Qatar-owned Manchester United potentially breaking the market (for both transfers and wages) in a way that City and PSG couldn't do simply because our starting baseline is so much higher. Hell, we've been (financially) competitive with those teams despite basically having one arm tied behind our back by owners who were stripping huge amounts of money out of the club.

I don't think I'll ever stop supporting Utd, but if the owners treat us as a plaything to throw money at the newest shiny thing then I can see my interest declining significantly.

Every United fan has had to endure the Glazers. Nobody misunderstands the situation with regards to how we've been run under them. We all want investment in infrastructure and the knowledge that we can compete for the best players (which we have done, to be fair). None of that is up for contention. The problem is to do with being run by an oil powered autocrat who would be using the club as a vehicle for their own ends (they are buying themselves some serious soft power via one of the largest sports institutions in the world). Businessmen have always existed in football, but being state backed is an entirely different proposition which people rightfully are against.

To be clear I was referring to opposition fans lumping us in the same bracket as the likes of City. I was replying to a Bayern fan. I'm by no means thrilled about the whole thing either and I would hope that they would be quiet owners if possible who just invest in some infrastructure and let us run ourselves. But it wouldn't make us a fake oil club. We are a real club with a storied history who are already supposed to be at the top of the chain.

Gets you a foothold in the Premier League. Might give you an opportunity for a full takeover later. Also, you might make some money from it.

Possible.

Qatar wouldn't be buying a minority stake to make a bit of cash, though. US investment companies could though.

That Spoftify bellend who made a show of himself telling everyone he was going to buy Arsenal should bid. He’ll never buy us, but it’s just nice to be in the conversation.

The 'I wouldn't want us to be buying the likes of Mbappe' stuff is funny. Mbappe is a professional footballer and needs to be playing his football somewhere. Someone has to buy him. And normality states that it should actually be a Manchester United rather than a PSG or Manchester City. There is nothing unusual, unjust or immoral about the biggest club in the world with the biggest revenues buying the best players. It's not the same as an irrelevant League One club that cannot fill its complimentary stadium buying Haaland.

Some people seem to have forgotten who we are. Even if we 'went mad' and started buying a lot of top players - we are Manchester United. If we shouldn't be doing it, who should? Newcastle? Real Madrid bought Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka and Benzema in one summer. It made sense to everyone because they are Real Madrid. Not Atletico Madrid. Nobody will bat an eyelid at any sort of injustice if we were to buy Mbappe. This is the stage he belongs on. Not at a fake club born in 1975 that has him, Neymar and Messi up front.
Yeah but with respect, the amount real paid for those 3 in one summer will probably be less than the package to get Mbappe. Love him as a player but couldn’t imagine getting him for less than 200m. That’s just crazy
I wouldn’t buy into that regardless of who our owners are

Because more reputable sources have confirmed Qatari interest. You'd think the Qatari would have considered something like this before registering any interest.

And yes, because if the Qatari are ruled out, it leaves only Americans. Another American ownership spells the definitive end of Manchester United as an elite football club.

Nice bit of casual racism!

You realise that not everybody in America is a hedge funder and not everybody from Qatar is a multi Billionaire?

Chelsea have got American owners that are clearly happy to invest, Liverpool won the League and Champions League under American owners.

I have no idea why people are so fixated on Nationality when it comes to our new owners?

Amnesty International have provided a quote in that piece regarding the speculation:

Amnesty International said Qatari interest in United should act as a "wake-up call" to the Premier League over its ownership rules.

"Coming in the wake of the World Cup and strenuous efforts from the Qatari government to fashion a glitzy new image for the country, it seems highly likely that any Qatari bid for Manchester United would be a continuation of this state-backed sportswashing project," said Peter Frankental, Amnesty UK's economic affairs director.

He added: "We're not necessarily opposed to the involvement of state-linked overseas financial consortia in English football, but the Premier League must urgently strengthen ownership rules to ensure they're human rights-compliant and not an opportunity for more sportswashing."

Nobody will bat an eyelid at any sort of injustice if we were to buy Mbappe.

Nobody would call that shifting of commodities between 2 sister clubs an aquisition, either.

Haven’t listened, but that thought has also crossed my mind. But it’s probably not 100% baseless. To put it like this, I would not take it to the bank that any Qatari investor will send a bid to Raine Group by next Friday.

They'd want to win everything. For that, they'd need money, and lots of it. Don't kid yourself, the books will inevitably be cooked - inside a couple of years, most of our headline sponsors would be Qatari companies.
They need lots of money to renovate the grounds, buy the club and clear the debt. Transfer and wages are something the club is fully self-sufficient to do. Qatari companies will inevitably sponsor us because the whole reason for this kind of an 'investment' is to advertise Qatar. They won't make any money from this club in the next 40 years or more even if they only plan to spend on buying and renovating it and just pay for transfers from the money the club generates.

I really hope United won't become another oil state club like City or Newcastle.

If it really happen, I'm wondering what all the fans here, who constantly emphasis (rightfully) the success and titles of City are worth nothing and don't count, will come up with that in United's case it's different.
I think this is very easy to say as a Bayern fan. Your league isn't and isn't continuously getting fecked by oil clubs. On top of that, it's kind of sanctimonious to preach this crap when you guys dominate the league more than City would ever hope for. The entire Bundesliga is basically a feeder league for Bayern to perform in the CL. We don't have that kind of "luxury". Where is the outrage there? Why are you not pushing for more equality or spread that Bayern money around to make your league more attractive to watch? And the City comparison doesn't even make sense. City are a fake club, their success is completely brought. We are, with Liverpool, the two most successful clubs in the PL. We don't need some owner to inject some imaginary cash in our reserves, we just need some damn owners who wouldn't take OUT of the club.

If you ask me now if I would choose to remove oil money in the league and give every club in the PL an equal shared revenue chance, even if United becomes a midtable club due to bad management, I'll always choose it. Because I know it's fair and I know it's the club's fault. I've always been a massive fan of how the NFL conducts business. BUT we're never getting that, are we? The league is always going to be rigged because if it isn't us, it's going to be Liverpool or Arsenal, or Spurs. This is never going to stop. And no matter how much money United has, we still don't have one hope in hell of competing with that kind of money Chelsea (before), City or Newcastle can produce, as well as any future oil owners of which there would be, there's no doubt in my mind about that. You either hop on the train or get left behind in a league that isn't even remotely fair.

Last edited:
Amnesty International have provided a quote in that piece regarding the speculation:

Amnesty International said Qatari interest in United should act as a "wake-up call" to the Premier League over its ownership rules.

"Coming in the wake of the World Cup and strenuous efforts from the Qatari government to fashion a glitzy new image for the country, it seems highly likely that any Qatari bid for Manchester United would be a continuation of this state-backed sportswashing project," said Peter Frankental, Amnesty UK's economic affairs director.

He added: "We're not necessarily opposed to the involvement of state-linked overseas financial consortia in English football, but the Premier League must urgently strengthen ownership rules to ensure they're human rights-compliant and not an opportunity for more sportswashing."
Where were these quotes from Amnesty UK when city and Newcastle were being taken over

Wait until Greg sues Greenpeace to get his uncles inheritance. That’ll take us out of the news.
(I love succession)
Edit Grandfather

Status
Not open for further replies.