Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well surely you'll understand better than most why state ownership is not something that's desirable as it will come at the expense of the club's identity.

Owners have rarely affected the 'history' of the club. In all my memory of supporting united it's always been the managers, players, events etc.
Owners have always been universally hated. Having a Qataris owner would not be any different! If I was a vegan would I be outraged that a butcher owned united? Probably.

So that's why it doesn't bother me. I want payback for the lost years because of the LBO enabled ownership under the glazers!. Why can't we have our own Christmas/lottery win for a change?

Not wishing to be argumentative but I'm not sure I understand the logic behind the two bolded parts. I don't see how Glazer ownership has eroded the club's identity, unless you assume that winning is inextricably linked with the club's ID (which isn't really true).

The idea that getting rid of the Glazers for the qataris would reinstall the club's identity also doesn't track for me, unless part of the club's identity has been as a sportswashing front for a nation state.
He might mean that they became more sponsorship focused and social media focused than football focused. That however is modern football.

Ratcliffe can feck off.

Glazers can feck off.

Anything other than a proper all out sale and fans should tear OT apart.

Remember that if Glazers don’t sell to Qatar, they’ll probably just go and buy Liverpool. You’ll then have City, Newcastle and Liverpool with proper backing and Utd stuck with these repulsive leeches.

Fans need to make themselves clear, more than ever.

Ratcliffe can feck off.

Glazers can feck off.

Remember that if Glazers don’t sell to Qatar, they’ll probably just go and buy Liverpool. You’ll then have City, Newcastle and Liverpool with proper backing and Utd stuck with these repulsive leeches.

Qatar could yet offer Glazers staying in a similar non controlling capacity for all we know. They'd still hold all the cards if they went that way and the Glazers wouldn't get a say on dividends etc.

How would you feel then?

Ratcliffe can feck off.

Glazers can feck off.

Liverpool fans are more likely to burn the entirety of Merseyside and parts of North Wales to the ground than accept ownership from a highly conservative, absolute monarchy. It's the two things they hate above all else (besides work of course :D).

And what part of the past 18 years has convinced you that the Glazers will suddenly start giving a single feck what the fans think or do?

Qatar could yet offer Glazers staying in a similar non controlling capacity for all we know. They'd still hold all the cards if they went that way and the Glazers wouldn't get a say on dividends etc.

How would you feel then?

I don’t believe Qatar want that. They want to own Utd properly and compete properly with City imo.

The Ratcliffe ownership will be another nightmare I reckon.

Utd just need the Glazers PROPERLY gone - and to heal as a club from the disgraceful treatment they’ve subjected Utd to.

How would you feel then?

We know exactly how they'd feel.

"Oh great Jassy Q to the R with the greatest bid ever made we bow to you're greatness"

Ratcliffe can feck off.

Glazers can feck off.

That’s a scary thought, I agree. We really need the Glazers to feck off.

I don’t believe Qatar want that. They want to own Utd properly and compete properly with City imo.

Utd just need the Glazers PROPERLY gone - and to heal as a club from the disgraceful treatment they’ve subjected Utd to.

So how in your view will Qatar force the 2 Glazers not wanting to sell, to actually sell?

But having Glazers as 20% minority shareholders wouldn't stop them doing what they want with the club and all that you said above about competing with City.

It would just allow them to get the club for less money than a full takeover. Glazers wouldn't be able to veto them on anything.

How would you feel then?
The thing is...Ratcliffe (Just realized his name even has "Rat" in it) already revealed that he'd be open to side with the Glazers while the Qataris always stated that they wanted to buy 100%. So you've just put out a hypothetical question that doesn't even make sense, as it contradicts to things we've already known.

The poster I was referring to hasn’t raised any particular issue with Kieran’s analysis. That would be a valid point of discussion.
What they did do (twice) was poo-poo Kieran himself and try to shut down his points because it doesn’t agree with their own pro-Qatar viewpoint.
I have no personal issues with any poster, and I don’t have an issue with measured criticism or questioning. I’ve done the same because that how I learn about this process. But trashing someone just because they don’t agree is out of order and doesn’t add to the debate.

For the record, I myself am a numpty. Probably more than most. I meant no disrespect.
Hi there...I am a self-declared 'eejit'. Close cousins to the numpties. :D

The thing is...Ratcliffe (Just realized his name even has "Rat" in it) already revealed that he'd be open to side with the Glazers while the Qataris always stated that they wanted to buy 100%. So you've just put out a hypothetical question that doesn't even make sense, as it contradicts to things we've already known.

Of course it's hypothetical but it could still be an option for the reasons stated above. Glazers owning 20% of the club wouldn't stop Qatar doing what they wanted.

All I'm saying is if in the next few days we hear Qatar are acting in a similar way then I hope you bring the same noise down on them.

And also...let's not forget this is all the say of Mike Keegan. We don't know how many different bids Sir Jim has given. He may well prefer to get 100% of the club for what we know

So how in your view will Qatar force the 2 Glazers not wanting to sell, to actually sell?

If the bid is high enough then presumably the 2 holding out would be costing the other siblings who want to sell a large amount of money. In that case I would expect the other Glazer siblings to apply huge pressure up to and including the threat of litigation against the other 2.

Liverpool fans are more likely to burn the entirety of Merseyside and parts of North Wales to the ground than accept ownership from a highly conservative, absolute monarchy. It's the two things they hate above all else (besides work of course :D).

And what part of the past 18 years has convinced you that the Glazers will suddenly start giving a single feck what the fans think or do?
Don't think this will happen. Nevertheless, I think Liverpool fans are as capable of abject hypocrisy as any other. They went after Hicks and Gillet because they were Glazer like 'Yank' 'extractive parasites' but they'll happy to accept other 'for profit' US owners like John Henry's hedge-backed group so long as they're delivering. Liverpool fans will find some story to tell themselves so long as that hypothetical 'conservative monarch' makes a few rhetorical gestures and promises a bit of local infrastructural investment ( Liverpool's OK but like most cities it could always use more, particularly something with an uplift/philanthropic angle) and, most importantly, continued spending.

To give them some equivocal credit though, Scouse fans are more capable in concert of scaring owners; it would be an interesting 'alt-history' thought experiment to game out how things would have gone for Glazer rule if they'd bought Liverpool instead. I suspect you'd have more arrests, for one thing, and not just in the UK, but that the property damage and, if it carried on long enough, threats to the person and so forth might have penetrated even the 'rhino hide' of the Glazer core group if sustained enough...

Qatar could yet offer Glazers staying in a similar non controlling capacity for all we know.

Yeah, they could - but they apparently aren't interested in that.

The way I see it, if Qatar are fine with Joel and Avram remaining on board (in some capacity), it should be smooth enough: they can easily outbid Jim (or whoever) for the shares of the other siblings.

But, again, Qatar don't want anything but complete control (apparently).

They begged Dubai to takeover ffs.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2008/jan/25/liverpool.premierleague

That's definitely not true. In any case this is another example of people making all kinds of analogies and justifications to suit their purposes.

Last edited:
In my opinion United are a club that has been crying out for a sugar daddy owner for over 80 years. Once one is installed then watch us return to the consistent years of domination (and beyond) that we enjoyed under Fergie.

In my opinion United are a club that has been crying out for a sugar daddy owner for over 80 years. Once one is installed then watch us return to the consistent years of domination (and beyond) that we enjoyed under Fergie.
I disagree, United doesn’t and never has needed a sugar daddy owner. That’s the distinction. With both Busby and Ferguson our greatness was the result of a legendary manager building brilliant team after brilliant team to dominate our opponents on a level playing field.
ETH could be the next legendary manager but it won’t be quite the same if our future dominance is as a result of simply out-muscling our opponents financially.

Once one is installed then watch us return to the consistent years of domination (and beyond) that we enjoyed under Fergie.

You mean the consistent years of domination that we enjoyed without a sugar daddy owner?

(Those years of domination we enjoyed because we had brilliant management and a huge fan base.)

(And a bit of good timing/fortune/luck. Never known anyone positively unlucky to enjoy much success.)

This, particularly that last paragraph is spot on.

Anyways it’s all going to come down to money though as that’s the only thing the Glazers care about.

Yeah, they could - but they apparently aren't interested in that.

The way I see it, if Qatar are fine with Joel and Avram remaining on board (in some capacity), it should be smooth enough: they can easily outbid Jim (or whoever) for the shares of the other siblings.

But, again, Qatar don't want anything but complete control (apparently).

They'd have complete control if they allowed Glazers to keep 20% though. That's the point. Whoever gets over 50% doesn't have to answer to anyone.

Sheikh Mansoor has sold about 30% of Man City. Doesn't change anything for them.

Best part of a billion each for the two Glazers or the promise of future dividends in a secondary role at the club, I do not see how
anyone with an ounce of business acumen can favour the latter over the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.