City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

City bury the Premier League it's over as any kind of competition without a doubt

To an extent - the complicit silence, and too often support (as shown with many of the tweets), of the media just enables them to be even bigger cnuts.
https://www.skysports.com/football/...-case-over-associated-party-transaction-rules

You could say this is a very significant victory for Man City because in central London right now the hearing is going on into the alleged breach of 115 of the Premier League's financial rules by Man City.

City have, by securing this victory, undermined the Premier League's financial rules.

They have got people thinking: 'these financial rules aren't worth the paper they're written on, they've been written up too quickly'.

They've challenged them and won, just like Leicester City, who won a legal challenge against the Premier League's financial rules a couple of weeks ago.

I wouldn't downplay how significant the decision is. I think this will have big, big implications for the Premier League and their financial rules.

Dunno; I imagine that'll be part of what the PL clubs will vote on, as they need to do for any rule change. It will still presumably have a sizeable affect on any club for whom those interest-free loans have been part of the plan. Tony Bloom has been lending Brighton money on such terms since 2009, and we're talking about over £400m there alone.
At best it could only be retroactive as far back as when the rule came in, whether we like it of not, what Abramovich et-al did wasn't, as far as I know, wasn't against the rules at the time

I haven't read and nor am I going to whatever number of pages there are, but one thing that struck me was one thing City railed against which in my book was right, the PL could/can block a sponsorship deal without providing any details/evidence of why such a deal was against the rules

This 'Cartel' that city fans keep banging on about that have been oppressing them and their owners and preventing them from winning the league every year, must be the worst cartel in the history of cartels. So minor has their tyranny of the majority influence been, City have won 6 of the last 7 league titles against the light breeze of the Cartel's influence

Oldest play in the book, accuse your accuser to obfuscate and hide your guilt.

I can see this being the beginning of the end if City drag this out too much. Fans lose interest in the league and everybody loses. The league have allowed this to happen by turning a blind eye for too long to the likes of Chelsea. The only question i have remaining is why they've all of a sudden decided to act; did the brown envelopes stop or something?

City sending out this inflammatory letter is a great sign to my mind. It says to me they know they are in a "shit or bust" fight and are looking at potential expulsion from the league. It's a clarion call hoping they can get a few more sides to support them, other than their cuntry neighbours.

Will really enjoy watching them collapse as they are thrown out of the league. I can see them "transferring" into the Saudi league and trying to claim it as some sort of new World super league nonsense, like what they tried with golf and the whole LIV vs PGA fiasco.

The fact that PGA eventually agreed a compromise will have emboldened them...but they are forgetting the tribal nature of football fans that can't be as easily manipulated as bri-nylon, leisure casual, golf players can be.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-case-over-associated-party-transaction-rules

You could say this is a very significant victory for Man City because in central London right now the hearing is going on into the alleged breach of 115 of the Premier League's financial rules by Man City.

City have, by securing this victory, undermined the Premier League's financial rules.

They have got people thinking: 'these financial rules aren't worth the paper they're written on, they've been written up too quickly'.

They've challenged them and won, just like Leicester City, who won a legal challenge against the Premier League's financial rules a couple of weeks ago.

I wouldn't downplay how significant the decision is. I think this will have big, big implications for the Premier League and their financial rules.
I was wondering if it was a parody post, and then I saw it was the text of that hack. He's a piece of shit with an over-inflated sense of importance (and a terrible journalist to boot) - I'm sure he's gotten his honey pot with City over the years.

City's charges do not relate to this case very much at all. The vast majority of the charges are allegations of illegal payments to Mancini, allegedly deliberately misleading the PL as to the source of sponsorship funds (i.e. the accusation is that City's owners were the source of the vast majority of the money with the 'sponsor' paying only a very minor amount of the overall fee) and, lastly a series of charges for failing to comply with the investigation contrary to PL rules.

So, City's 'victory' on the points of owner-sourced interest free loans and the valuation of genuine 3rd-party sponsorship deals have zero direct relevance to the charges they face. Hence why every journalist who isn't on the City payroll has been keen to make clear the separation between the two cases.

What victory?

I was wondering if it was a parody post, and then I saw it was the text of that hack. He's a piece of shit with an over-inflated sense of importance (and a terrible journalist to boot) - I'm sure he's gotten his honey pot with City over the years.

There's quite a few similar ones.

MIKE KEEGAN: One word, delivered by the three experienced and former high-ranking retired judges on the panel, screamed out. The rules are 'unlawful'. This was a victory for City.

City's charges do not relate to this case veyr much at all. The vast majority of the charges are allegations of illegal payments to Mancini, allegedly deliberately misleading the PL as to the source of sponsorship funds (i.e. the accusation is that City's owners were the source of the vast majority of the money with the 'sponsor' paying only a very minor amount of the overall fee) and, last;y a series of charges for failing to comply with the investigation contrary to PL rules.

So, City's 'victory' about interest free loans and the valuation of genuine 3rd party sponsorship deals have zero direct relevance to the charges they face. Hence why every journalist who isn't on the City payroll has been keen to make clear the separation between the two cases.

I don't disagree, i'm just pointing out what the media angle is.

MIKE KEEGAN: One word, delivered by the three experienced and former high-ranking retired judges on the panel, screamed out. The rules are 'unlawful'. This was a victory for City.
It's absolutely insane. I believe it's a mix of utter incompetence, lack of understanding of the rules they're discussing, laziness, and for many of them, being in City's pocket - and more often than not, I would imagine a mix of all the above.

I also chuckle thinking back at conversations over the past few years about sports-washing, and some weirdos arguing it wasn't a thing - what we're seeing here is exactly that, sports washing in play and working extremely well.

It's absolutely insane. I believe it's a mix of utter incompetence, lack of understanding of the rules they're discussing, laziness, and for many of them, being in City's pocket - and more often than not, I would imagine a mix of all the above.

I also chuckle thinking back at conversations over the past few years about sports-washing, and some weirdos arguing it wasn't a thing - what we're seeing here is exactly that, sports washing in play and working extremely well.
I think the point i’m trying to make, for anyone hoping that the media will provide some sort of pressure for Manchester City to be punished in the other case, it should be a fairly grim warning about the reality of the situation. You mostly have independent journalists scratching their heads and not understanding the way this is being portraited, but that’s about it. Considering the result of this case, you'd expect quite a few major stories about how Manchester City have completely missed, but their minor wins are somehow being presented as major wins

I think the point i’m trying to make, for anyone hoping that the media will provide some sort of pressure for Manchester City to be punished in the other case, it should be a fairly grim warning about the reality of the situation. You mostly have independent journalists scratching their heads and not understanding the way this is being portraited, but that’s about it. Considering the result of this case, you'd expect quite a few major stories about how Manchester City have completely missed, but their minor wins are somehow being presented as major wins
How can they report the relegation of City as a win? I'm sure they will try though.

I don't know if they are 'paid' by City, I think most of them are just thick as slurry and want to milk the cash cow of angry rival fans.

If you tweet something like 'City win BIG' etc. you will get a lot more interaction/coverage than an article simply saying something technical about how they got the newest wording of the ATP rules successfully contested and lost every other claim. This stuff is generally quite boring, it's all about technicalities - very few people want to read and digest a 100+ page document for a club they don't support, there's no way most of these journos have bothered.

The letter from City is the first sign to me though that they might be genuinely concerned now, to essentially message the other 19 clubs saying 'don't believe what they have told you' is an odd move because each club will know exactly what happened and the ramifications via their own legal teams (who will actually read the document and get advice).

Kaveh (SKY), Keegan (Mail) and Samuels (Times) basically making themselves a parody of journalists.

They could write a piece with a slight bias and it’s probably be accepted but they’re SO over the top/selective, it’s laughable.

Mail are useless, SKY is Talksport on Telly but I’d assumed Times would have had some balance left. Apparently not.

I don't know if they are 'paid' by City, I think most of them are just thick as slurry and want to milk the cash cow of angry rival fans.

If you tweet something like 'City win BIG' etc. you will get a lot more interaction/coverage than an article simply saying something technical about how they got the newest wording of the ATP rules successfully contested and lost every other claim. This stuff is generally quite boring, it's all about technicalities - very few people want to read and digest a 100+ page document for a club they don't support, there's no way most of these journos have bothered.

The letter from City is the first sign to me though that they might be genuinely concerned now, to essentially message the other 19 clubs saying 'don't believe what they have told you' is an odd move because each club will know exactly what happened and the ramifications via their own legal teams (who will actually read the document and get advice).
I think so too. Tried legal threats, now trying to control journalistic output and media.

But as letter written by same guy who’s already had his name dragged through the mud, think it only holds weight with the modern City fans/online sheep.

They're very obviously going to sue the PL for damages (otherwise, what was the point of all this), what I'm curious about is the criteria that will form the test for ATP sponsorship deals going forward, i.e. what's the benchmark for market fair value going to be? Other industries? Sponsorship deals in foreign leagues? Expected ROI not meeting a certain threshold according to the PL?

I don't know if this is more detailed in the judgment or if it will be up to the PL to establish this, and then have it be clarified by courts should it be challenged?
How can they sue for damages? It seems far fetched to me.

They can sue for money they would have gotten through cheating? That would be rich.

It's incredible (it's not incredible) that most journalists seem to have relied on press releases when reporting on this rather than taking half an hour to read the findings.

It’s clear that the league would better off without this petulant fraudulent trouble maker of a club. Would it be illegal to expel 115 if all the league’s participants agree?

It's incredible (it's not incredible) that most journalists seem to have relied on press releases when reporting on this rather than taking half an hour to read the findings.
That’s about the level I expect from sports journalists, to be fair. They are clowns and pr machines.

Anything serious in that matter is usually published by investigative journalists who don’t really write about the day to day stuff.

Martin Samuel continuing to be an irrelevant shill I see.

Wait what in the bell is going on here. I was busy yesterday but caught the breaking news all over sky and Twitter claiming City have taken a dump on the PL’s chest and won the case…….now I’m home from work and the reality is they got battered in court? How did they manage to get the jump on the story and spin it their way?

Generally worrying how the feck they’ve pulled that off

I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the settled case or even particularly care...but seeing the BBC report stating that witnesses for Man City were Newcastle, Chelsea and Everton - clubs that are owned by countries or rich owners who basically love throwing mega money around (and want to continue doing so), whilst witnesses for the Premier League were a load of the other clubs that do things properly....

It's absolutely mental and if the outcome is that the mega rich owners can bend or break the rules that were put in place to make things fairer for the league as a whole, there's not much point in having the competition as it is. Would be as well setting up a separate league with these cheating clubs in it.

Wait what in the bell is going on here. I was busy yesterday but caught the breaking news all over sky and Twitter claiming City have taken a dump on the PL’s chest and won the case…….now I’m home from work and the reality is they got battered in court? How did they manage to get the jump on the story and spin it their way?

Generally worrying how the feck they’ve pulled that off
Various elements - they did get some small wins, that they spun in their own way, and they had the very helpful hand of journos that were either on their payroll, either too lazy, or either too incompetent, to ensure the message got out the way they wanted it to.