City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

At minimum it’s a points deduction surely there’s too many charges to get every single one dismissed. The failure to comply is an instant feck up before the other charges are even looked at.
Yep.

I keep flip flopping on what the outcome of this trial will be but there are so many sanctions which should realistically lead to relegation.

The Athletic having it both ways (pretend) by jokingly predicating the destination of their stars to other clubs/leagues. Poor old hacks. It must be tough work, keeping the petro dollar flowing while keeping the clicks from the vast majority of fans of real clubs.

Did we get any of them?
Nah.

Politics and sport should have not been mixed. If City are not be punished, they need to be putting a foot down that the club must be sold or be excluded from any FA related competitions.

No state ownership as politics can then creep in. If Roman basically had to sell Chelsea, there should be a similar outcome for City so fair play can't be brought into question.

Ah. Going to be a fairly lengthy report I guess. But tbh, you’d expect a barrage of challenges through various means from city if it’s anything other than a fine, so any action is probably going to come much later than that too.

It’ll be north of 2000 pages. It’ll take 4 weeks to write and as long or longer to edit.

Surely it needs to be made void on the basis that every other position in the league is affected if they hand the titles over to second place?
Exactly this. Where does it end?

I made this point earlier, that the best thing to do if found guilty, is simply put a line through their wins, like the UCI did with Lance Armstrongs wins in the Tour de France.
Its easier to do with something like Pro Cycling, where it only affects the top 3 standings in a race for medals (you could simply promote the 2nd place to winner, 3rd to 2nd etc) but in the Prem, that's a lot harder to do.

It's not as easy as giving the runners up the title, because what happens to the 5th place team? The ones that should have got CL football the following season? Do they claim for compensation from City for loss of earnings?
Likewise, go to the bottom of the table and the 3rd from bottom team who got relegated, could lodge a compensation claim that they should have stayed up. It opens up a right minefield for the Premiership and City.

I'm not saying City should be let off, no way, but in terms of their wins its far easier to just put a red line through all of their achievements in the years they did cheat, if found guilty (and demotion to League 2)

At minimum it’s a points deduction surely there’s too many charges to get every single one dismissed. The failure to comply is an instant feck up before the other charges are even looked at.
Probably a 3-4 point points deduction, just enough for them to still win the league, and a £10m or so financial penalty which they won’t even feel. Don’t get your hopes up. The worst I can see is maybe a points penalty high enough to have them not win the league but still finish comfortably in CL places.

Surely it needs to be made void on the basis that every other position in the league is affected if they hand the titles over to second place?

The huge problem when / if City get their punishment, is that you'll have tonnes of legal action taken from every club who either missed out on the title / Europe / were relegated due to a result against City.

Going back a while, West Ham had to pay Sheffield United for relegation, due to Tevez and his dodgy ownership etc.

It'll be that x100.

Politics and sport should have not been mixed. If City are not be punished, they need to be putting a foot down that the club must be sold or be excluded from any FA related competitions.

No state ownership as politics can then creep in. If Roman basically had to sell Chelsea, there should be a similar outcome for City so fair play can't be brought into question.
That wasn't Premier League led. Abromovich's assets were seized by western governments because of the Ukraine War. They're not that comparable.

Players already plotting their backdoor escape

If that blessed day came to be, who do we think would escape the sinking ship ? Ederson, B. Silva, KdB, Rodri for sure. Then maybe loan out Dias. Would be curious to see how Haaland escapes it with maybe only Barca and Bayern able to take him on.

That wasn't Premier League led. Abromovich's assets were seized by western governments because of the Ukraine War. They're not that comparable.
Yeah, you're right. But still something similar should be done of some sort. They will just find ways to bend the rules and political pressure will always be in the air with that lot.

I could be supporting Boston United for all I care, I am never going to be amazed by them winning any title.

They are guilty of the 'failure to comply' ones at the very minimum. There will be a points deduction for those alone.
Exactly, there are 35 charges of failing to comply. They might be able to weasel their way out of a lot of the other charges through their corrupt ways but surely, SURELY not out of failing to comply. I mean if you're 100% sure you're innocent why fail to comply anyway? The whole thing stinks and hopefully justice will be served.

What worries me is the UK governments involvement in all of this, we already know of one meeting between them and Abu Dhabi officials where the minutes were not revealed. Who knows what's going on and being pulled behind the scenes.

Exactly, there are 35 charges of failing to comply. They might be able to weasel their way out of a lot of the other charges through their corrupt ways but surely, SURELY not out of failing to comply. I mean if you're 100% sure you're innocent why fail to comply anyway? The whole thing stinks and hopefully justice will be served.

What worries me is the UK governments involvement in all of this, we already know of one meeting between them and Abu Dhabi officials where the minutes were not revealed. Who knows what's going on and being pulled behind the scenes.
Nothing because that would be incredibly stupid by them.

It wouldn't make sense to let it get to this stage if they were going to cut some kind of deal behind closed doors. It would just get swept under the carpet long ago.

It wouldn't make sense to let it get to this stage if they were going to cut some kind of deal behind closed doors. It would just get swept under the carpet long ago.
Let's hope you're right and all 115/130 charges stick. Time will tell.

Sir Keir Starmer is an Arsenal fan though so surely City losing this will be good for him

That's a good point, if they had any sway over this with the UK government (and you'd imagine the Tories would have been more open to corruption). I imagine they'd have tried to bury it 2 years ago.

At this stage it's hard to see nothing happening.