Chido Obi Martin

How many academy players has Arteta integrated to the first team, in terms of giving them genuine opportunities? I think that could be a big part of it.

He looks at Mainoo and Garnacho and even Willy from last year and can see a clear pathway to the first team. Even Forson started in the league at a point so he can see an opportunity to become a first teamer here more so than Arsenal. Nketiah and Smith Rowe haven't been playing as much and most young players will look at this as a red flag. The biggest talent to come through recently in Nwaneri hasn't gotten 10% of Mainoos play time and young Arsenal players will see this. Now I get that it's harder to bed youngsters into title challenging sides and Arteta can point to that but Sir Alex had no issues doing this and in order to avoid continuously losing your talented youngsters, Arteta will have to consider how to integrate more kids or show a clear pathway. Arsene did it to great effect and Arsenal was known for this. Remember the Larsson's and the Qunicy's, Alliadiere, Clichy, Traore etc you have to try and bring them through. Not all will make it but you do it to show the u18s that if they grind they too can play for the first team one day.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure what you say paints a whole story.

Nketiah isn't a kid any more, he's 25 now and had plenty runs in the first team to try and establish himself. Unfortunately he's just not good enough.

Smith-Rowe has been the victim of his injuries and fitness issues and at a time when the club have went from 8th in the table to 2nd.

We've not really got the players good enough from 18-21 in the Academy. Maybe Cozier-Duberry could have had more minutes, Patino has had 2 loans but never established himself at either, but not really sure there's many if any others that you could point to.

Nwaneri as you point out is the big talent, with Lewis-Skelly not far behind him. They haven't had any of Mainoo's game time, but both were 16 going into last season, a year older than Chido is now. Both should get game time this pre season, and hopefully they do well enough to keep in and around the first team.

However, something has convinced him his future lies elsewhere, so yeah, you guys are maybe right. If I were him, id head to the likes of Dortmund with their track record, the attacking naumture of the Bundesliga etc but like I said, if he ends up at Utd fair play and good luck to the lad.

It's always difficult to assess if arteta is being too cautious or if their current title challenging level requires a higher level of talent to break into the first team.

Tbf to arteta, he did integrate Saka (academy) and Martinelli (youngster) into the first team. Not sure you can count Saliba in that as he is just too good. He has given chances to Nketiah who he has kept as 2nd choice striker for 2 yrs. And ESR was key to arsenal 3 yrs ago, but injuries have derailed his progress.

I think this a grey area and comparisons between us and arsenal in this regard is difficult given the different circumstances and quality of squad.

Nketiah isn't a kid any more, he's 25 now and had plenty runs in the first team to try and establish himself. Unfortunately he's just not good enough.

Smith-Rowe has been the victim of his injuries and fitness issues and at a time when the club have went from 8th in the table to 2nd.

We've not really got the players good enough from 18-21 in the Academy. Maybe Cozier-Duberry could have had more minutes, Patino has had 2 loans but never established himself at either, but not really sure there's many if any others that you could point to.

Nwaneri as you point out is the big talent, with Lewis-Skelly not far behind him. They haven't had any of Mainoo's game time, but both were 16 going into last season, a year older than Chido is now. Both should get game time this pre season, and hopefully they do well enough to keep in and around the first team.

However, something has convinced him his future lies elsewhere, so yeah, you guys are maybe right. If I were him, id head to the likes of Dortmund with their track record, the attacking naumture of the Bundesliga etc but like I said, if he ends up at Utd fair play and good luck to the lad.

I agree with this too but maybe he looks at Mukouko's lack of game time and their recent business with Fulkurg and now Guirassy and Dortmund look to be shifting away from youngsters...

You say "dude, you're at Arsenal".
And then a year later you congratulate him for a great move to Ipswich
It will be interesting to watch him develop, see if he can fill up and keep good numbers

The simplest and most likely answer to why he’s leaving is money.

We’ve reached a point where the best youth prospects can command significant wages - like 30-50k per week - when they first sign professional terms. We reportedly have Nwaneri on something in that ballpark. At this stage as a scholar the kids seem to reach agreements with clubs on the contract they will eventually sign after turning 17. That’s life changing money for a lot of these kids and their families so there is plenty of incentive to get the best deal, especially if the family isn’t rooted to a location by other factors. Chido is one of those players that has been moving around (only came to us two years ago) and the kid’s career is probably the family business. If they think they can get substantially more than what Arsenal offered they’re going for it and understandably so, just like any other player evaluating offers on a Bosman. All in the game.

It's always difficult to assess if arteta is being too cautious or if their current title challenging level requires a higher level of talent to break into the first team.

Tbf to arteta, he did integrate Saka (academy) and Martinelli (youngster) into the first team. Not sure you can count Saliba in that as he is just too good. He has given chances to Nketiah who he has kept as 2nd choice striker for 2 yrs. And ESR was key to arsenal 3 yrs ago, but injuries have derailed his progress.

I think this a grey area and comparisons between us and arsenal in this regard is difficult given the different circumstances and quality of squad.

Indeed, it is very difficult to compare, as there are different factors.

Both clubs are at different stages, Utd are at the start of a bit of a rebuild, looking to replace the likes of Varane, Casemiro, Martial, Maguire and bring younger, hungry players into the team, Arsenal have been through that and have a team a lot more settled that's challenging City, where the margin for error is basically non existent.

Utd also have suffered from really bad injuries, especially in defence, so had to rely on guys like Kwambala filling in at times.

Also, it seems to me Utd invest heavily in youth to attract talent. Guys like Kwambala, Amad, Pellistri, Hannibal even Garnacho all cost significant fee's for youth players. Arsenal don't really invest that much in recruiting youth, most of their youth are Hale Enders. Apparently it's something Arsenal are looking to put more focus on.

Both clubs are at different stages, Utd are at the start of a bit of a rebuild, looking to replace the likes of Varane, Casemiro, Martial, Maguire and bring younger, hungry players into the team, Arsenal have been through that and have a team a lot more settled that's challenging City, where the margin for error is basically non existent.

Utd also have suffered from really bad injuries, especially in defence, so had to rely on guys like Kwambala filling in at times.

Also, it seems to me Utd invest heavily in youth to attract talent. Guys like Kwambala, Amad, Pellistri, Hannibal even Garnacho all cost significant fee's for youth players. Arsenal don't really invest that much in recruiting youth, most of their youth are Hale Enders. Apparently it's something Arsenal are looking to put more focus on.

Area to improve on for Arsenal.

No news yet? I'm really excited to sign players with this potential. Hopefully we can get it done.

Who knows what is true but this roughly scans.

My understanding is that Arsenal gave Nwaneri at least 30k per week. But I don't think the club is willing to stretch like that for a youth player on their first professional contract unless they're considered a truly special talent. A promise of 15K per week (once they can sign a professional contract at 17) is still a lot for a 16-year-old. But if the player can get double elsewhere and feels like maximizing his short term earn is in his best interest, then I can see why he goes for it.

I find it difficult to believe INEOS would offer out 30k a week to academy players, given their apparent focus on reducing our wage bill.

Get it done.
£780k extra per year is nothing when you consider what we have wasted over the years.

Plus it lets all clubs including little Arsenal know we are scouting and hunting for the best.

Who knows what is true but this roughly scans.

My understanding is that Arsenal gave Nwaneri at least 30k per week. But I don't think the club is willing to stretch like that for a youth player on their first professional contract unless they're considered a truly special talent. A promise of 15K per week (once they can sign a professional contract at 17) is still a lot for a 16-year-old. But if the player can get double elsewhere and feels like maximizing his short term earn is in his best interest, then I can see why he goes for it.

I find it a bit suspicious that not one English (or Danish) media outlet has mentioned those numbers, but a Nigerian twitter account with less than 9k followers would know better. And yes, I know he’s eligible for Nigeria too.

I find it difficult to believe INEOS would offer out 30k a week to academy players, given their apparent focus on reducing our wage bill.

Firstly, it’s terms on his pro contract, so once he turns 17. Secondly, consider the source; no real credibility. I would also imagine that any deal reaching those sorts of numbers would involve a series of targets and be appearance/performance based. These deals are heavily structured and nuanced at pro level.

I wouldn’t put too much stock into the actual numbers being thrown around. There’s little way to verify, and plenty of reasons for people to inflate. I would instead focus on the higher level perspective…,primarily that the club is willing to compete for the best young talents. Yes money will play some part, it’s a sign to the player that we value him highly and expect him to succeed with us, but the club also has an incredible record of providing pathways to first team football.

The quoted tweet comes from an Arsenal fan/source. So I would take it with a pinch of salt. Of course they’d want to say that he left because we’d pay him double. And whilst it might be true we offered more, I doubt he’d have anyway of knowing what we actually offered him. It’s certainly better than saying, United offered him a better project. It’s easier to cope with and rationalise the decision when you boil it all down to money; but who is to say that’s what’s at play here? Certainly not an Arsenal fan account. I believe the term for the content of that post is “copium”.

The story is coming from Arsenal. I think we should wait for other sources because I find those wages difficult to believe.

Yes and no to this, from a United perspective. Amad and Pellistri are really different types of signings. Pellistri is very similar to how Arsenal signed Martinelli, approximately 6m for each at 18 years old. Amad is in another bracket, having cost an initial 17m, but was seen as a special talent having already broken into the Atalanta first team.

Other than that, the only significant outlays for youth players in recent memory are: Kambwala, 3m incl. add-ons at 16, Hannibal 5m euros initial at 17, and Garnacho 420k at 15. They’ve always scoured the continent to try and pick up good talent from other academies and compensation fees are often involved. It’s how we got players like Jurado and Alvaro recently, and Rossi and Pique historically. We also do the same with other academies around the country, as all the top teams do. As well as attempting to hoover up the best young local talents.

What’s really phenomenal about United is the pathway offered to these players at such a massive club, and the quality of youth development going on. It’s one of the bright spots in an otherwise bleak landscape over the last decade.

If it wasn’t for off the field issues, United could easily be lining up with a hugely promising front three all from the academy. Two of whom are local lads (Rashford, Garnacho and Greenwood). There isn’t another big club around that can say anything like that. It seems right now that we are getting a new major talent coming through and being integrated every 1-2 seasons, which is frankly ridiculous. We’ve had Mainoo, Garnacho and Greenwood alone in the last four years, all of whom could, should or are starting players.

United’s philosophy with young players seems to be to integrate them and give them the time to prove their quality and worth to the squad. To properly assess their adaptation to men’s football. It’s an approach that works well in terms of bringing actual usable talent into the first team squad - a reason why we hold the frankly preposterous record we do on having an academy graduate in the squad for every match day for more than 85 years without a single break. But it’s not the best for generating profit through sales.

Other clubs sell players based on their potential promise. Buying teams taking a gamble on a potentially big talent, who hadn’t yet made the full transition to men’s football. They get top dollar as a result, because the promise is seemingly limitless. United, however, either develop a player into the squad who is good enough to stay and contribute, or eventually decide that he is best moved on, at which point the promise is very much limited and exposed to potential buyers, and the profits aren’t as good. This latter part has been the case for players like Garner, Alvaro and Kambwala recently, and will be for Hannibal soon enough. In the grand scheme of things though, I want us to develop young players for our team, not to turn a profit. The profit part is just a nice bonus when a player doesn’t meet the grade, but to focus on that defies a genuine mission to develop homegrown talent for the first team squad.

There are more huge talents coming through over the next 2-3 years. The U18s are absolutely stacked, and I would imagine at least one of those is going to turn out to be a star, and maybe a couple more will become good squad players. Which would be frankly, another amazing outcome. This season it looks like Collyer will get some proper minutes. This after signing from Brighton a couple of years ago as an 18 year old. He’s a player that moved from another highly rated academy, has struggled with some injuries, and has been decent for the u23s, without setting the world alight. Yet here he is, being given some real opportunities as part of the squad in pre-season, much like Mainoo, McTominay and others before him.

I’d imagine potential recruits seeing these examples, and the real pathways and dedication from the club to give young players opportunities, and thinking that United is the right place for them. Even the players who decide to leave because they can’t kick on and find a way into the first team squad picture, go on to have great careers elsewhere. And a lot of that is not just talent, but also how the club trains its players. I can’t remember who it was (someone will chime in) but recently a well respected coach was talking about his experiences of taking young players on loan, and development internships, from Premier League clubs, and he said that you could always tell the United players apart. They were just different, in terms of their professionalism, dedication, emotional intelligence etc. And it’s a testament to the emphasis the club has been putting on youth for nearly a century.

People will always look to boil things down to money. Fair enough. Money makes the world go round, and who is going to deny it’s a factor? Not me. But what United offer through their academy goes so far beyond the appeal of money. They may not turn a player into a Manchester United player, but they will almost certainly turn you into a premier league or top division player.

I think it’s fairly smart on the assumption that he’s not considered a typical “academy player” and more that he’s someone they’ll have around the first team

Going big for teenage stars now who they think will become world class players is a good way to end up with a world class team without spending ridiculous money doing it

Presumably you’d have been happy enough with United giving 30k per week to a 16 year old Saka in order to get him from Arsenal?

Risk involved yes, but United have always helped produce world class players from a young age

I find it a bit suspicious that not one English (or Danish) media outlet has mentioned those numbers, but a Nigerian twitter account with less than 9k followers would know better. And yes, I know he’s eligible for Nigeria too.

Yeah, I have no idea if its true or not. This aggregator claims the Nigerian account first broke the news of him leaving but I'm not following it closely enough to say if that was the case or not.

The biggest reason it *might* be a legit source is Obi Martin's agent is a British-Nigerian guy who represents a lot of players with Nigerian heritage (Saka, Nketiah, Balogun, Iwobi, Lavia, Ola Aina, Terem Moffi, and many others).

Broadly speaking, my understanding is that 30-40k is the very top end of the range for academy players on their first contracts after hitting 17. Raheem Sterling famously was on 30k per week as a 17-year-old and that was over a decade ago. I've heard rumors that Ethan Nwaneri is on something in that area and I wouldn't be surprised if a top 16-year-old player like the kid Chelsea recently lost to Liverpool was promised somewhere in that range. So I don't think its unreasonable that United might be offering that to Obi Martin if they believe he is truly special.

In the end, 30k per week isn't a big investment if you really believe the player is special and going to the top as a first team footballer. The issue is that you can't give that kind of money for "normal" star academy players or soon you'll have 3-4 kids in every age cohort demanding those deals and then even the average academy players will want to be on 5-10k per week and it adds up pretty quick.

Last edited:
Based on the Danish youth matches he’s a bit crap and only excels due to his size

Yeah, I have no idea if its true or not. This aggregator claims the Nigerian account first broke the news of him leaving but I'm not following it closely enough to say if that was the case or not.

The biggest reason it *might* be a legit source is Obi Martin's agent is a British-Nigerian guy who represents a lot of players with Nigerian heritage (Saka, Nketiah, Balogun, Iwobi, Lavia, Ola Aina, Terem Moffi, and many others).

Broadly speaking, my understanding is that 30-40k is the very top end of the range for academy players on their first contracts after hitting 17. Raheem Sterling famously was on 30k per week as a 17-year-old and that was over a decade ago. I've heard rumors that Ethan Nwaneri is on something in that area and I wouldn't be surprised if a top 16-year-old player like the kid Chelsea recently lost to Liverpool was promised somewhere in that range. So I don't think its unreasonable that United might be offering that to Obi Martin if they believe he is truly special.

In the end, 30k per week isn't a big investment if you really believe the player is special and going to the top as a first team footballer. The issue is that you can't give that kind of money for "normal" star academy players or soon you'll have 3-4 kids in every age cohort demanding those deals and then even the average academy players will want to be on 5-10k per week and it adds up pretty quick.

Yeah, that's what his agent claims. But from the beginning there have been two sides to the story and the other side has been that other clubs are offering more money.

The "pathway to the first team" narrative doesn't hold up very well under scrutiny. He had a clear path to being the starting U21 striker this season as a 16/17 year old, which is extremely rare. And on first team level neither Havertz or Jesus have a vice grip on the CF position. The idea that you'd see a clearer path at a club like Bayern that has Kane entrenched at CF for another 2-3 years and a prospect like Tel waiting in the wings just doesn't really add up.

His agent has been very hard to deal with for Arsenal in general and he is always about the money. He has driven very hard bargains on every contract for Saka, for Folarin Balogun, and for Nketiah. This is also the same guy who took Sancho to Dortmund and then negotiated a massive deal from United. I don't say this in a bad way because he's just doing his job (although I do hope he stops repping so many Arsenal youth players). But he gets his clients paid.

Yeah, that's what he and his agent claims. But from the beginning there have been two sides to the story and the other side has been that other clubs are offering more money.

The "pathway to the first team" narrative doesn't hold up very well under scrutiny. He had a clear path to being the starting U21 striker this season as a 16/17 year old, which is extremely rare. And on first team level neither Havertz or Jesus have a vice grip on the CF position. The idea that you'd see a clearer path at a club like Bayern that has Kane entrenched at CF for another 2-3 years and a prospect like Tel waiting in the wings just doesn't really add up.

Looking at how rarely Arteta seems to give opportunities to academy players and comparing that to how well United integrate them into the first team, I think the pathway argument is valid.

It’s more or less only the Arsenal side that is pushing this greed for money argument. I understand it, it’s pretty natural to want to hang onto that but I think there’s much more to it than money.

What sort of money do the biggest 17 year old talents make at youth level, at the top 6 clubs in England?

Is 30k/week unseen levels or just very high? Because it seems like this kid is one of the biggest talents at youth level in England. If there are a few others who make this sort of money, I think it's alright.

Looking at how rarely Arteta seems to give opportunities to academy players and comparing that to how well United integrate them into the first team, I think the pathway argument is valid.

It’s more or less only the Arsenal side that is pushing this greed for money argument. I understand it, it’s pretty natural to want to hang onto that but I think there’s much more to it than money.

Yeah, this is overblown narrative. Arteta has given first team opportunities to every academy player who actually earned them and was on the level. Saka was at the level so he plays regularly. I'm quite confident the same will happen over time with Nwaneri, who has started both preseason matches as a 17-year-old and seems very likely to have some role in the first team this year. Nketiah and Nelson were good enough to be squad players and have had years to prove themselves good enough for a bigger role but haven't been able to do it, so they're going to get moved. Other guys who Arteta knew weren't good enough have been sold more quickly or moved away (Walters, Hutchinson, Balogun, Willock) but so far nobody denied first team opportunities by Arteta has gone on to show that they could have been an Arsenal player. All the same is basically true for United under Ten Hag. United were fortunate to have two players at the level in Mainoo and Garnacho, so they play. The guys not on the level like Garner, Elanga, Hannibal, and Iqbal don't get many opportunities and are sold fairly quickly.

Last edited:
Only watched one game with him for Denmark against a superior Italian u-17 team, but he does look like he’s far in development mostly because of his physique.

When watching youtube videos it’s the same pattern: His first touch isn’t great, but he somehow bags them.

Moalem from the same U17 team and FC Copenhagen impressed me way more in that game. Technique, intelligence and football-IQ.

Yeah, this is overblown narrative. Arteta has given first team opportunities to every academy player who actually earned them and was on the level. Saka was at the level so he plays regularly. I'm quite confident the same will happen with Nwaneri. Nketiah and Nelson were good enough to be squad players and have had years to prove themselves good enough for a bigger role but haven't been able to do it, so they're going to get moved. Other guys who Arteta knew weren't good enough have been sold more quickly or moved away (Walters, Hutchinson, Balogun, Willock) but so far nobody denied first team opportunities by Arteta has gone on to show that they could have been an Arsenal player. All the same is basically true for United under Ten Hag. United were fortunate to have two players at the level in Mainoo and Garnacho, so they play. The guys not on the level like Garner, Elanga, Hannibal, and Iqbal don't get many opportunities and are sold fairly quickly.

Saka was in the first team already when Arteta took over. We can’t say anything about Nwaneri as that remains to be seen. Nelson barely plays, I wouldn’t call him a regular. 1 start in the league last season and is looking to leave the club due to lack of playing time.

Nothing ”fortunate” about it. It’s all about recruitment, coaching and a first team manager who trusts young players.

Yes and no to this, from a United perspective. Amad and Pellistri are really different types of signings. Pellistri is very similar to how Arsenal signed Martinelli, approximately 6m for each at 18 years old. Amad is in another bracket, having cost an initial 17m, but was seen as a special talent having already broken into the Atalanta first team.

Other than that, the only significant outlays for youth players in recent memory are: Kambwala, 3m incl. add-ons at 16, Hannibal 5m euros initial at 17, and Garnacho 420k at 15. They’ve always scoured the continent to try and pick up good talent from other academies and compensation fees are often involved. It’s how we got players like Jurado and Alvaro recently, and Rossi and Pique historically. We also do the same with other academies around the country, as all the top teams do. As well as attempting to hoover up the best young local talents.

What’s really phenomenal about United is the pathway offered to these players at such a massive club, and the quality of youth development going on. It’s one of the bright spots in an otherwise bleak landscape over the last decade.

If it wasn’t for off the field issues, United could easily be lining up with a hugely promising front three all from the academy. Two of whom are local lads (Rashford, Garnacho and Greenwood). There isn’t another big club around that can say anything like that. It seems right now that we are getting a new major talent coming through and being integrated every 1-2 seasons, which is frankly ridiculous. We’ve had Mainoo, Garnacho and Greenwood alone in the last four years, all of whom could, should or are starting players.

United’s philosophy with young players seems to be to integrate them and give them the time to prove their quality and worth to the squad. To properly assess their adaptation to men’s football. It’s an approach that works well in terms of bringing actual usable talent into the first team squad - a reason why we hold the frankly preposterous record we do on having an academy graduate in the squad for every match day for more than 85 years without a single break. But it’s not the best for generating profit through sales.

Other clubs sell players based on their potential promise. Buying teams taking a gamble on a potentially big talent, who hadn’t yet made the full transition to men’s football. They get top dollar as a result, because the promise is seemingly limitless. United, however, either develop a player into the squad who is good enough to stay and contribute, or eventually decide that he is best moved on, at which point the promise is very much limited and exposed to potential buyers, and the profits aren’t as good. This latter part has been the case for players like Garner, Alvaro and Kambwala recently, and will be for Hannibal soon enough. In the grand scheme of things though, I want us to develop young players for our team, not to turn a profit. The profit part is just a nice bonus when a player doesn’t meet the grade, but to focus on that defies a genuine mission to develop homegrown talent for the first team squad.

There are more huge talents coming through over the next 2-3 years. The U18s are absolutely stacked, and I would imagine at least one of those is going to turn out to be a star, and maybe a couple more will become good squad players. Which would be frankly, another amazing outcome. This season it looks like Collyer will get some proper minutes. This after signing from Brighton a couple of years ago as an 18 year old. He’s a player that moved from another highly rated academy, has struggled with some injuries, and has been decent for the u23s, without setting the world alight. Yet here he is, being given some real opportunities as part of the squad in pre-season, much like Mainoo, McTominay and others before him.

I’d imagine potential recruits seeing these examples, and the real pathways and dedication from the club to give young players opportunities, and thinking that United is the right place for them. Even the players who decide to leave because they can’t kick on and find a way into the first team squad picture, go on to have great careers elsewhere. And a lot of that is not just talent, but also how the club trains its players. I can’t remember who it was (someone will chime in) but recently a well respected coach was talking about his experiences of taking young players on loan, and development internships, from Premier League clubs, and he said that you could always tell the United players apart. They were just different, in terms of their professionalism, dedication, emotional intelligence etc. And it’s a testament to the emphasis the club has been putting on youth for nearly a century.

People will always look to boil things down to money. Fair enough. Money makes the world go round, and who is going to deny it’s a factor? Not me. But what United offer through their academy goes so far beyond the appeal of money. They may not turn a player into a Manchester United player, but they will almost certainly turn you into a premier league or top division player.

I get Utd have a proud record of Academy products in the past, and there’s much to be admired there, but is it really more enviable compared to your peers the last decade or so?

I think Chelsea wins hands down in terms of players that it churns out the academy, I don't think anyone can argue there. Obviously the new ownership might have muddled the waters a bit there, so will need to see what it's like going forward.

City too have started producing top players. Foden, Bobb, Lewis in around the current squad, guys like Palmer, Sancho, Lavia, Morgan Rodgers, Tosin, James Trafford just some of the names that's came from there.

Ourselves, we've got Saka and Martinelli (if you count him) as main first team players, Smith-Rowe broke through until he had fitness problems, and behind them Nketiah and Nelson were in and around the squad. Guys like Patino, Ruell Walters, Cozier-Duberry, Bireth unfortunately didn't make it here but will hopefully carve careers for themselves, but in behind them we have a couple of players we have really high hopes for in Nwaneri and Lewis-Skelly who are only 17, but the former especially will be in and around the first team this season, especially after impressing in pre season.

I also get that Ten Hag has helped give the likes of Mainoo and Garnacho opportunities and more importantly trusted them to stay in the team, (helped because some of the signings like Antony and Mount have disappointed), but you've also invested big on 2 centre forwards, 1 who is 21 and 1 who is 23, so that would be a concern to me if I'm a striker most concerned with a pathway to the first team.

Anyway, only the player will know why he's chosen to leave and sign for Utd. It could be for a variety of reasons, Utd's track record like you say, promises made of being fast tracked, money, even something simple like the coaches he works with etc can all sway a young player. I certainly wouldn't dare say it's purely a money thing for those reasons, that's just lazy. Good luck to the lad, he's entitled to go where he thinks is best.

Saka was in the first team already when Arteta took over. We can’t say anything about Nwaneri as that remains to be seen. Nelson barely plays, I wouldn’t call him a regular. 1 start in the league last season.

Nothing ”fortunate” about it. It’s all about recruitment, coaching and a first team manager who trusts young players.

You are inventing a narrative. Player development just doesn't differ that much across big clubs and the most talented players at age 18/19/20 can be spotted by anybody once they hit a certain level. It's not like Mainoo would be stuck playing U21 football right now if he was at Arsenal or Liverpool. He may have gotten more chances at United simply because the first team side wasn't as good and had fewer players in his position to compete with. But when it comes to the players truly talented enough to make it at a big club, they are not secrets.

You are inventing a narrative. Player development just doesn't differ that much across big clubs and the most talented players at age 18/19/20 can be spotted by anybody once they hit a certain level. It's not like Mainoo would be stuck playing U21 football right now if he was at Arsenal or Liverpool.

Never said that. Just replied to you saying we were fortunate with Garnacho and Mainoo.

@GoonerBear

Even in a really rough time for the club the academy keeps a steady flow of graduates coming through to the first team or creates opportunity for top flight football elsewhere. The below is off from the top of my head in more recent times;

Mainoo
Garnacho
Kambwala
Elanga
Greenwood
Pereira
Garner
Gomes
Mengi
Chong
Rashford
Henderson
Mctominay

You also have to look at the current under 18s who basically won everything last season. Some phenomenal talent in there.

United have one of the most productive academy systems in world football and despite being one of the biggest clubs in the world always maintain pathways to the first team. That’s why all those records exist.

Enjoyed this post

@GoonerBear

Even in a really rough time for the club the academy keeps a steady flow of graduates coming through to the first team or creates opportunity for top flight football elsewhere. The below is off from the top of my head in more recent times;

Mainoo
Garnacho
Kambwala
Elanga
Greenwood
Pereira
Garner
Gomes
Mengi
Chong
Rashford
Henderson
Mctominay

You also have to look at the current under 18s who basically won everything last season. Some phenomenal talent in there.

United have one of the most productive academy systems in world football and despite being one of the biggest clubs in the world always maintain pathways to the first team. That’s why all those records exist.

I'd argue it's easier when you're going through a rough patch. When you've got underperforming senior players and suffering regular injuries it's a lot easier to turn to youth.

It's when you're actually challenging for something that it's harder to put your faith in youngsters.

How many of those players would have received anywhere near the amount of minutes they got with us if we had a) the calibre of player and b) the level of first team performances we would need to be challenging regularly for title.

I'd argue it's easier when you're going through a rough patch. When you've got underperforming senior players and suffering regular injuries it's a lot easier to turn to youth.

It's when you're actually challenging for something that it's harder to put your faith in youngsters.

How many of those players would have received anywhere near the amount of minutes they got with us if we had a) the calibre of player and b) the level of first team performances we would need to be challenging regularly for title.
I’d argue the opposite. When you are struggling you spend more money to force success back.

Besides. United have been doing their thing since inception. See The Babes etc.

@GoonerBear

Mainoo
Garnacho
Kambwala
Elanga
Greenwood
Pereira
Garner
Gomes
Mengi
Chong
Rashford
Henderson
Mctominay

United have one of the most productive academy system in world football and despite being one of the biggest clubs in the world always maintain pathways to the first team. That’s why all those records exist.

I appreciate that mate. But a few clubs can list players like you can, I named several City players that was just a sample, the Chelsea list is just ridiculously long. Even at Arsenal I could offer Saka, Smith-Rowe, Nelson, Nketiah, Willock, Balogun, Nwaneri, Hutchinson, Biereth, Tella, Iwobi, Da Silva from a similar time period.

You mention it a rough time for the club, but sometimes the rough times create better opportunities. When an Antony disappoints, an opening occurs for example.

I’d argue the opposite. When you are struggling you spend more money to force success back.

Besides. United have been doing their thing since inception. See The Babes etc.

Oh, I know. And it's something that we should be rightly proud of, but it's so much easier when there's less on the line.

And I partly agree with the point you're making. I think it's easier and better for youngsters to come into a well functioning team. For someone like Fletcher, coming into a squad with the players we had back then would be so good for his development, and the quality of the other players would have put less pressure on him.

But in terms of being given those opportunities in the first place, it's so, so much easier for a manager to turn to them when the senior players are either underperforming or simply not good enough in the first place.

A lot of those youngsters that have come through in recent years are not good enough for United and never really showed anything in their first team minutes, but they were given chances through a lack of options and desperation.

I appreciate that mate. But a few clubs can list players like you can, I named several City players that was just a sample, the Chelsea list is just ridiculously long. Even at Arsenal I could offer Saka, Smith-Rowe, Nelson, Nketiah, Willock, Balogun, Nwaneri, Hutchinson, Biereth, Tella, Iwobi, Da Silva from a similar time period.

You mention it a rough time for the club, but sometimes the rough times create better opportunities. When an Antony disappoints, an opening occurs for example.
Thing is United haven’t just done this now and again. The club is built on it.

Oh, I know. And it's something that we should be rightly proud of, but it's so much easier when there's less on the line.

And I partly agree with the point you're making. I think it's easier and better for youngsters to come into a well functioning team. For someone like Fletcher, coming into a squad with the players we had back then would be so good for his development, and the quality of the other players would have put less pressure on him.

But in terms of being given those opportunities in the first place, it's so, so much easier for a manager to turn to them when the senior players are either underperforming or simply not good enough in the first place.

A lot of those youngsters that have come through in recent years are not good enough for United and never really showed anything in their first team minutes, but they were given chances through a lack of options and desperation.

Nah.