Chelsea 2024/25

This apparently is not true. It was reported by the Sun? And talk sport?

Sky sports, Jacobs and every other outlet that does actual journalism reported that Gallagher was told in the meeting that he would be a “squad player” next season if he decided to stay. Squad players, to my knowledge, train with the team.

Atleti has given him a Monday deadline, and Gallagher has refused extensions at Chelsea. So considering the condensed timeline, I doubt they want him flying out to Nashville before he’s made some sort of decision. But that is a far cry from some of this stuff being reported: like he’s been locked out of the first team training facilities.

There are various stories from that point. The people Gallaghers camp feed info to claim he believes if given a chance he can force his way into Marescas team. Per New York Times

Chelsea apparently told him that if he did indeed prove them wrong, they would be willing to renegotiate the contract. They have renegotiated contracts, Palmer's being the latest, so that isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

But that is a big risk for Gallagher. They point to his starts last year, said he was our “best” player over the second half of the season. It would be more accurate to say “most available”, which IS a valuable thing. But especially the second half of the year guys like Cucurella, Caicedo, Gusto, Palmer all rated as high or higher in their play.

The deep pivot role is not one Gallagher is suited for. If healthy Lavia is head and shoulders best choice. Enzo no longer has 5 hernias and debilitating pain, and also plays that position well.But since Lavia is playing now, Enzo is being tried farther forward.

That leaves Gallagher competing with: Enzo, KDH, Caicedo, Palmer, Chukwuemeka, and Nkunku for two spots. And if injuries hit hard, Santos, who is really, really well suited to what we are doing could easily be recalled.

There is the ethos that Chelsea players have had throughout the last decade: when in doubt just try to outlast the manager. But that won’t work, because even if they fired Maresca, they have decided on a style of play after the Poch stopgap, and hired coaches and staff to suit it at all levels, including Strassbourg and academies.

Then you have to look out for the two buzz words that you see, even from the Gallagher camp leaks: “earned” and “assurances”.
And remember that the extension offer from 2022, which was also long term, was turned down because he wanted “assurances” of regular starts and that he wouldn’t be just a squad player - per Sky sports. Chelsea accepted the first offer for him over 18 months ago, after the 2022 discussions and subsequent rejection by Gallagher.

Atleti DO see him as a definitive starter and have a specific role for him in mind.

They are willing to give him “assurances” that Chelsea simply are not, because he suits them.

I haven't watched chelseas presaseon but read the match reports and see few highlights, but they sound worse than ever. Most goals conceded are from stray passes and over playing.

I haven't watched chelseas presaseon but read the match reports and see few highlights, but they sound worse than ever. Most goals conceded are from stray passes and over playing.
Yes we were over playing things at the back and conceded silly goals. But overall our game play improves. Developing some nice patterns in attacks. We looked okay in my opinion.

No Palmer, no hope again this season? Defense looks pretty poor in pre season so we'll need to score a lot.

As much as I love to laugh at Chelsea, it is only pre-season. You really can’t read too much into it. It really doesn’t act as much of a barometer into how you start the season.

Once your squad is fully settled, players are back from the Euros (i.e Palmer) then we shall see. I mean what are the aspirations for this season? Top four challenge (at a push) I suspect. I can envisage goals not really being an issue. Maybe Palmer’s output reduces but more of a shared load. I expect Nkunku to do well but many susceptible at the back. Should be fun from a neutral’s perspective anyway!

Wait, so we didn't qualify for the ECL outright? We have to play a playoff game get in? :lol:

Who the heck is Samu Omorodion and why do Chelsea spend £35m on him?

People need to understand that even if their pre season matches are duds, they have the costliest squads in PL. They have talent that has not been fully utilised yet and all it takes is a few weeks of concentrated efforts to find more gems like Cole Palmer.
It will not be easy for chelsea, but they will be right up there I believe. I'd rather see them up there than the likes of Aston Villa or Spurs.

Chelsea have a proper squad.

People need to understand that even if their pre season matches are duds, they have the costliest squads in PL. They have talent that has not been fully utilised yet and all it takes is a few weeks of concentrated efforts to find more gems like Cole Palmer.
It will not be easy for chelsea, but they will be right up there I believe. I'd rather see them up there than the likes of Aston Villa or Spurs.

Chelsea have a proper squad.

With all that money you'd think they'd have invested in some heaters.

How fecking many players does Chelsea have now?

According to transfermarkt, 41. But they're still counting loads of players we haven't officially sold/loaned out yet.

We get £15M if Guehi moves to Newcastle

I will be very annoyed if we go with "Samu" on his shirt rather than "Omorodion".

I guess Guiu was just a cheap punt for the sake of a cheap punt then. Maresca already said he will likely stay with the team and compete with Jackson. I wonder if that changes with Omorodion coming in.

Just got a draft letter. I also have to join Chelsea.

Never seen "samu" play,can someone sum up what type of striker he is and if he's a good signing please?

I do wonder if any of Jörgensen, Tosin, Veiga, KDH, Guiu and Omorodion even improve the squad over what we already had?

At least on paper it's a very underwhelming bunch. I'm sure most of them can do a job as squad players but are any of them actually good enough to be regular starters?

Obviously some of them should have lots of room for potential improvement as they mature, especially Samu and Guiu, but I'm talking about the here and now. Going into the summer transfer window our problem was never the quantity of players but rather the quality so what's the point of adding more inexperienced young players into the mix?

I do wonder if any of Jörgensen, Tosin, Veiga, KDH, Guiu and Omorodion even improve the squad over what we already had?

At least on paper it's a very underwhelming bunch. I'm sure most of them can do a job as squad players but are any of them actually good enough to be regular starters?

Obviously some of them should have lots of room for potential improvement as they mature, especially Samu and Guiu, but I'm talking about the here and now. Going into the summer transfer window our problem was never the quantity of players but rather the quality so what's the point of adding more inexperienced young players into the mix?
You have a lot of players, it's hard to know what the best XI is for Chelsea and where you really needed to strengthen. As an outsider looking in, I would have said a elite no9 would have been one of the main priorities.

What would you say were the positions that needed strengthening?