Chelsea 2023/24 season thread.

Chelsea's problem now is that they've got dozens of young players with good to high potential. Realistically how many of these types of young players go on to be world class? Maybe 30% if you're lucky and even less when they are not playing regularly, which will be the case at Chelsea. Half their young squad will get very little game time once they settle on an 11 as they don't have the extra games in europe. Of those that play, maybe 2 of them become world class at some point in the future, half of them become average and the rest never improve, that does not sound like a winning strategy to me, not to mention the only players you'd class as leaders in their team is a guy who's always injured (James) and a guy who's on the verge of retirement (Silva). Who's gonna drag this team anywhere once the going gets tough?

On top of that they've basically given all these players lifetime contracts, now they're struggling to get them out the club if they fail because why would these players settle for half their salary at a lesser club when they can stay at Chelsea on a high salary for 8 years.

I reckon this strategy will end up an unmitigated disaster, every other club could do what they do but don't because of the massive risk involved and I think Chelsea will show that.

Let’s hope Lavia’s debut is as good as Caicedo’s. Please start him Chelsea.

Would City have accepted a 600m bid for Haaland? That would still leave 300m for his wages. Might've made more sense for Chelsea, that.

Chelsea's problem now is that they've got dozens of young players with good to high potential. Realistically how many of these types of young players go on to be world class? Maybe 30% if you're lucky and even less when they are not playing regularly, which will be the case at Chelsea. Half their young squad will get very little game time once they settle on an 11 as they don't have the extra games in europe. Of those that play, maybe 2 of them become world class at some point in the future, half of them become average and the rest never improve, that does not sound like a winning strategy to me, not to mention the only players you'd class as leaders in their team is a guy who's always injured (James) and a guy who's on the verge of retirement (Silva). Who's gonna drag this team anywhere once the going gets tough?

On top of that they've basically given all these players lifetime contracts, now they're struggling to get them out the club if they fail because why would these players settle for half their salary at a lesser club when they can stay at Chelsea on a high salary for 8 years.

I reckon this strategy will end up an unmitigated disaster, every other club could do what they do but don't because of the massive risk involved and I think Chelsea will show that.

Thanks for your doom prediction. Much appreciated.

Let’s hope Lavia’s debut is as good as Caicedo’s. Please start him Chelsea.

We should have won both of these games tbh. We outperformed both opponents by some distance. I’m sour on the result obviously but I’m actually pretty pleased with the performance over the two games.

It will be great to watch. They've got so many average players they are stuck with for years. When they drop down the table and revenues drop with it they won't be able to do a thing.

We should have won both of these games tbh. We outperformed both opponents by some distance. I’m sour on the result obviously but I’m actually pretty pleased with the performance over the two games.
Yeah, your performances in both games were good enough to win them. At least you're already playing better football than last season. Think it's just a case of half your team and manager being new and needing time to gel. Think it'll take some time and you'll be inconsistent but once it all clicks you'll be scary.

If they play like they did today for most of the season they’ll be ok. They look pretty good for a squad that’s needs to gel and get used to a new manager

The worry will be with so many new players and possible lack of squad harmony if they drop off early will it go like last season when there’s just no fight from the players, I mean its a squad of strangers

Yeah, Chelsea will be fine. Just like last week with fans going overboard about how good the performance was, likewise here but being critical of the result.

They have enough quality now to dominate games. I still have a worry about goals with them though, so they might fail to win a few games their general play might deserve, and that might be a source of frustration for them.

Nice set of upcoming fixtures, starting with Luton. Expecting 80% possession and chance for their forward line to get some goals.

Yeah, your performances in both games were good enough to win them. At least you're already playing better football than last season. Think it's just a case of half your team and manager being new and needing time to gel. Think it'll take some time and you'll be inconsistent but once it all clicks you'll be scary.

I have faith and I’m hopeful and optimistic. Gutted about the result but the performances, all throughout preseason and into the actual season, have given great cause for optimism.

People saying Chelsea will be okay, but what is 'okay'? Not getting relegated? Finishing top 10? Top 4? Winning the league?
Surely any team spending 1bil in 1 year should be consistently challenging for the title, is that what can be expected of this Chelsea team? Or can that only be expected next year? Or will people still be making excuses for them, that they are young and need experience.

I reckon if you gave a billion over a year to any other team in the top 5 last season they'd go on to challenge for the title the next season.

I know it’s just part and parcel of football but 3 big injuries in the last 3 games is insane. I hope it’s nothing serious here, but history tells me he’ll be out for a while.

How young is that squad? Aint almost everyone bar a few 23 and younger?

Bit crazy to have a go at the manager this early, that team with so many youngsters needs atleast a season. Atleast

Bit crazy to have a go at the manager this early, that team with so many youngsters needs atleast a season. Atleast

Yep. There’s around 5 players over 25 - Chilwell, Silva, Sterling, Disasi and Sanchez. Almost everyone else in the squad is 23 or younger.

Yep. There’s around 5 players over 25 - Chilwell, Silva, Sterling, Disasi and Sanchez. Almost everyone else in the squad is 23 or younger.
Huh, I thought that Disasi was some kind of 20/21 year old prospect. Surprised to see he's 25.

I have faith and I’m hopeful and optimistic. Gutted about the result but the performances, all throughout preseason and into the actual season, have given great cause for optimism.

The performances have been decent to good including pre season. It's the results I'd be still slightly concerned about, you've struggled to get any wins when you've played a half decent team. That would be my main concern with Chelsea in the upcoming season, converting draws to wins, especially in games you are playing well in.

People saying Chelsea will be okay, but what is 'okay'? Not getting relegated? Finishing top 10? Top 4? Winning the league?
Surely any team spending 1bil in 1 year should be consistently challenging for the title, is that what can be expected of this Chelsea team? Or can that only be expected next year? Or will people still be making excuses for them, that they are young and need experience.

I reckon if you gave a billion over a year to any other team in the top 5 last season they'd go on to challenge for the title the next season.

The problem with spending so much money in such a short space of time is that you are basically ripping up what's gone before and starting from scratch.

Had a couple of discussions on here last week about if that was the right strategy to take and used Newcastle as a direct comparison of a slightly more conservative strategy after a takeover and getting better results.

Chelsea have decided to go down a different route, they might have their own reasons and it might work out long term. It's certainly interesting to watch how both unfolds.

About half a year younger on average than an Arsenal squad which challenged for the league last season. Should have them challenging by December then. The only reason a lot of people seem to give Boehly a pass for "giving him time building a project" is that he keeps sacking coaches and players. They should be much further along for all the money spent and what had already been there. This wasn't Newcastle where you have to replace the likes of Isaac Hayden and Jonjo Shelvey. Of course, if you keep throwing money at the wall for a long enough, the bills might form a Picasso by accident at some point. Absurd to call that genius later, though. Even gold digger Guardiola is trolling them already, which says a lot.

Edit: Misread that, you were advocating for giving Pocchetino more time which is, of course, sensible. Just think Boehly will keep messing about.

Last edited:
Having seen how much money we've squandered without getting a whiff of winning the league, I wouldn't be so sure

that team with so many youngsters needs atleast a season. Atleast
If you have your worst season in a gazillion years, you might want to come up with a better plan than "one that requires at least a season," because people's patience will be very thin.

Everyone saying they're playing well and that they'll be fine eventually are seriously underestimating the lack of goalscorers in their squad. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see their forward line outscored by their midfield or even their defence this season. They really need to Jackson to step up and start converting his chances or they'll seriously struggle until they get Nkunku back.

United fans should know better than anyone how games can run away from you if you don't convert your chances.

If you have your worst season in a gazillion years, you might want to come up with a better plan than "one that requires at least a season," because people's patience will be very thin.

Who’s patience? Chelsea fans? Because most of us are predicting a 5th place finish.

Last edited:
Everyone saying they're playing well and that they'll be fine eventually are seriously underestimating the lack of goalscorers in their squad. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see their forward line outscored by their midfield or even their defence this season. They really need to Jackson to step up and start converting his chances or they'll seriously struggle until they get Nkunku back.

United fans should know better than anyone how games can run away from you if you don't convert your chances.
Caicedo and Enzo aren’t goal scorers so they’ll be relegated if this ends up being true

The performances have been decent to good including pre season. It's the results I'd be still slightly concerned about, you've struggled to get any wins when you've played a half decent team. That would be my main concern with Chelsea in the upcoming season, converting draws to wins, especially in games you are playing well in.

Other than yesterday’s, there’s not a result I thought was concerning. The performances have been good though, so I’m going to hang my hat on they and hope we go on a winning run.

Poch messed up yesterday. 3rd goal is on him. There was no need to shift Enzo from deep to front after Caicedo introduction. Entire creativity died, ball retention and transition died. It was unbelievable to see 10 men WHU bullying Chelsea midfield to defense while Enzo lurking helplessly near opp box. Very strange tactics, not that I am surprised by Poch though.

Other than yesterday’s, there’s not a result I thought was concerning. The performances have been good though, so I’m going to hang my hat on they and hope we go on a winning run.

I don't mean in an alarm bells ringing type of way, just that if you don't see your good midfield play converted to more goals and more wins than I can see frustration building a wee bit. Your next batch of fixtures are a kind set to address these issues.

What I fail to understand is that we have two more points than Chelsea. We’ve been poor and we’ve been absolutely hammered by the press.

Chelsea have spent £900million in 3 windows. The press are still giving them an easy ride. It’ll take time blah blah blah..
They need a striker etc…
They need to gel…

They looked rubbish yesterday and it was a well deserved victory for West Ham. Clearly the best team on the day.

Performances? Are you counting pre-season?

I don't mean in an alarm bells ringing type of way, just that if you don't see your good midfield play converted to more goals and more wins than I can see frustration building a wee bit. Your next batch of fixtures are a kind set to address these issues.

Yeah of course. I think that's obvious. Without goals we'll struggle to finish in the top half. I think losing Nkunku was a huge blow because he was meant to be the marquee addition. Chukwuemeka has done well in his absence but we now we potentially lose him too. So Poch has his work cut out to figure this out.

Last edited:
It's not length that makes club struggle to get players out it's salary, and even then there's sometime still options if the player still has a good potential upside (Morata, Havertz).

Game felt a bit like ours. Chelsea were the better team and if they converted that pen it's a different game, just like that VAR moment and Bruno chance in ours. Everyone is all gloom and doom after a bad result but there were positives to take from that game as well. I really liked Sterling's performance. I didn't understand why Poch took of Chilwell though.

It's not length that makes club struggle to get players out it's salary, and even then there's sometime still options if the player still has a good potential upside (Morata, Havertz).

Yes, but if a player turns out woeful then you'll end up with situations like Drinkwater, Baba Rahman and Bakayoko who all cost Chelsea about 30mil+ when they were signed, they've all sat out their full contracts at Chelsea, being loaned out year after year. Imagine that happening but for 8 years and even more players.

Game felt a bit like ours. Chelsea were the better team and if they converted that pen it's a different game, just like that VAR moment and Bruno chance in ours. Everyone is all gloom and doom after a bad result but there were positives to take from that game as well. I really liked Sterling's performance. I didn't understand why Poch took of Chilwell though.

I've not really seen any Chelsea fans be particularly doom and gloom after that game. Obviously everyone is gutted about the result but for the most part the performance was there. Rival fans will poke fun and post their doom predictions and that's fine, it's football, it's what happens. Obviously if we continue to play well and not win any games, then good performances start to matter less but I feel confident that they will eventually translate into wins.

I've not really seen any Chelsea fans be particularly doom and gloom after that game. Obviously everyone is gutted about the result but for the most part the performance was there. Rival fans will poke fun and post their doom predictions and that's fine, it's football, it's what happens. Obviously if we continue to play well and not win any games, then good performances start to matter less but I feel confident that they will eventually translate into wins.

Yeah was more so aimed at the caf in general, not particularly by Chelsea fans.

Liverpool and West Ham.

But yes, I was encouraged by the performances in preseason too.
Fair enough, I thought that the West Ham performance would be more concerning, but there were promising bits there too.

Fair enough, I thought that the West Ham performance would be more concerning, but there were promising bits there too.

We got sucker punched basically. We should have put the game out of sight before HT. It was a brilliant first half, less good second half.

Yes, but if a player turns out woeful then you'll end up with situations like Drinkwater, Baba Rahman and Bakayoko who all cost Chelsea about 30mil+ when they were signed, they've all sat out their full contracts at Chelsea, being loaned out year after year. Imagine that happening but for 8 years and even more players.
Ofcourse but I don't feel any of those players fall into that category, guess time will tell but I don't get that vibe from any of them despite the inconsistencies.

Take Mudryk for example, I get it's banter season with him at the moment but I feel there would be suitors for him at 97k a week, especially in leagues that thrive on space in behind. Even yesterday he created a big chance that should have been converted by one of the other players.