Chelsea 2023/24 season thread.

I didn’t get it as a dig he’s a middle aged man involved in football of course he will see Liverpool as a prestige destination he remembers the teams of the 80’s.

but you can’t expect the current generation of footballers to be that bothered even if they didn’t support them directly they would of been aware of the success of Chelsea over the last 20 years. It’s definitely helped make the club a more attractive destination.

Rubbish. They've been the only challengers to City in the last 5 years and they have the second best manager in the world right now.

Caicedo put a small bump in Brighton-Liverpool relations and that annoyed Barber, that's all. It's not like Caicedo only slept in a Chelsea jersey ever since Abramovich created the club.

Rubbish. They've been the only challengers to City in the last 5 years and they have the second best manager in the world right now.

Caicedo put a small bump in Brighton-Liverpool relations and that annoyed Barber, that's all. It's not like Caicedo only slept in a Chelsea jersey ever since Abramovich created the club.
And despite them being a lot more consistent than us in the same period we've matched them on every trophy since Klopp has arrived there bar the League Cup.

Also a factor at this point would be Klopp's longer term uncertainty, the Liverpool team looking pretty flawed (and unlike us have owners seemingly unwilling to atleast try and fix the issues) and the fact Pochettino is probably the best top level manager for young player development.

Also a factor at this point would be Klopp's longer term uncertainty,

This is a fair point actually. He's leaving next summer isn't he? At least I hope he is. Pep keeps dangling this hope of going away but turns around and signs extensions every fecking time.

And despite them being a lot more consistent than us in the same period we've matched them on every trophy since Klopp has arrived there bar the League Cup.

Yes, you got me there. The team that has repeatedly finished usually (often more than) 20 points behind the leader in the last 6 years is the same as the team that lost out on the league by a point after a 90+ season, twice.

This is a fair point actually. He's leaving next summer isn't he? At least I hope he is. Pep keeps dangling this hope of going away but turns around and signs extensions every fecking time.

Yes, you got me there. The team that has usually finished (often more than) 20 points behind the leader in the last 6 years is the same as the team that lost out on the league by a point after a 90+ season, twice.

Yes, you got me there. The team that has repeatedly finished usually (often more than) 20 points behind the leader in the last 6 years is the same as the team that lost out on the league by a point after a 90+ season, twice.
I mean I literally said they were more consistent overall but the fact our "poor" spell for our modern standards is almost equalling their best modern spell when it comes to silverware will be a factor especially when it appears that team may have peaked.

This had the potential to backfire but unlike Pep I think he may have to leave out of nessesity at some point.

His cycle looks on his last legs.

aNh, they have been recruiting terribly under tuchel and a bit under Potter. ...
I strongly disagree. The likes of Slolina, Hutchinson, Badiashile, W. Fofana, D. Fofana, Enzo, Mudryk, Andre Santos, Madueke, Sterling, Cesadei, Nkunku, Chukwuemeka all arrived under Boehlhy. Those are excellent signings for now and the future. Now the likes of Caicedo, Disasi, Sanchez, Ogechukwu, Washington, Angelo Gabriel, Lavia have joined. With one or two like Olise in the pipeline. They have kept Colwill. Even their clear out of unwanted and the unhappy went stupendously. Too many have been focused on the bad form of last season and manegerial hulaboo off pitch to really take serious notice

For me their only blight was getting Tuchel what he wanted instead of sacking him out right before the season begun. That's how the likes of Lukaku, Aubameyang, Cucurella, Zakaria to name a few came through the door.

I strongly disagree. The likes of Slolina, Hutchinson, Badiashile, W. Fofana, D. Fofana, Enzo, Mudryk, Andre Santos, Madueke, Sterling, Cesadei, Nkunku, Chukwuemeka all arrived under Boehlhy. Those are excellent signings for now and the future. Now the likes of Caicedo, Disasi, Sanchez, Ogechukwu, Washington, Angelo Gabriel, Lavia have joined. With one or two like Olise in the pipeline. They have kept Colwill. Even their clear out of unwanted and the unhappy went stupendously. Too many have been focused on the bad form of last season and manegerial hulaboo off pitch to really take serious notice

For me their only blight was getting Tuchel what he wanted instead of sacking him out right before the season begun. That's how the likes of Lukaku, Aubameyang, Cucurella, Zakaria to name a few came through the door.
Going by reports they initially saw him as the biggest asset of Chelsea but after time it became clear that they couldn't work together.

But yes that transfer window was a mistake, in hindsight we should have signed Sterling, one CB (alongside promoting Colwill) then reaccessed with the recruitment team in place, even if it left us a little short in the short term.

The thing I like though is they do seem to try and improve and evolve from their (admittedly in some cases huge) blunders, in the last few years of the Marina regime we were making the same mistakes again and again with no signs of learning from them.

So people saying the younger Jude Bellingham is wise beyond his years, already a leader, future captain of England, etc etc is ok.

But the guy who actual wore the EnglandU21’s armband ahead of him, and is spoken of in the same terms by people who actually know … that’s too much?

Mskes no sense.
Who is saying Bellingham is leader? Far, far from it. He is just a player.

exactly, getting the players tuchel wanted was a mistake, which was the basis to my argument. Some of those good players you mentioned was signed under potter, which is why I said that their signings got better with Potter. Enzo, Mudryk, badiselle, Madueke, gusto and santos were signs things was improving. That is why I said managers are important part of a rebuild project and so far chelsea has gotten things mostly right targeting some of the players that Pochettino will approve to his team.

exactly, getting the players tuchel wanted was a mistake, which was the basis to my argument. Some of those good players you mentioned was signed under potter, which is why I said that their signings got better with Potter. Enzo, Mudryk, badiselle, Madueke, gusto and santos were signs things was improving. That is why I said managers are important part of a rebuild project and so far chelsea has gotten things mostly right targeting some of the players that Pochettino will approve to his team.
Getting the player tuchel wanted not a mistake but buying players tuchel wanted (albeit his third fourth choice except sterling) and then sack him two weeks after window closed was a mistake. They didn't allow tuchel to make things work.

Getting the player tuchel wanted not a mistake but buying players tuchel wanted (albeit his third fourth choice except sterling) and then sack him two weeks after window closed was a mistake. They didn't allow tuchel to make things work.

Tuchel would never had made things work. A lot of the players he signed were duds. That is why Chelsea has to spend so much this window to get rid of all that garbage. Even with all they spent, they still haven’t address their attack or goalkeeping. So, it was a mistake and it seems they have learned from that, getting a better manager and a recruitment strategy that would bare fruit for them in the long run.

Just looking at Chelsea's fixtures, if they can get through the game Vs West Ham unscathed, they've got quite a favourable run to build up some momentum.

Luton (H)
AFC Wimbledon (H) (Cup)
Forest (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Villa (H)
Fulham (A)
Burnley (A)

After that it gets a good bit tougher, but they could have a lot of points on the board and some good momentum and confidence going into that run.

Tuchel would never had made things work. A lot of the players he signed were duds. That is why Chelsea has to spend so much this window to get rid of all that garbage. Even with all they spent, they still haven’t address their attack or goalkeeping. So, it was a mistake and it seems they have learned from that, getting a better manager and a recruitment strategy that would bare fruit for them in the long run.
You simply can't say he would fail anyway. He already straightened the chelsea team when we were 9th when he took over and made us cl champion and finished in top 4 and also another FA Cup final.

Next season he went to all finals except cl But somehow he would fail last time despite already there and done that.

Just looking at Chelsea's fixtures, if they can get through the game Vs West Ham unscathed, they've got quite a favourable run to build up some momentum.

Luton (H)
AFC Wimbledon (H) (Cup)
Forest (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Villa (H)
Fulham (A)
Burnley (A)

After that it gets a good bit tougher, but they could have a lot of points on the board and some good momentum and confidence going into that run.
Villa will be tough but other than that possible to win almost all of them but again it's only on paper. In reality football is a funny old game and any thing could happen.

Amazing you can actually sign a decent young striker without paying way over the odds, who would have thought it

Yeah Chelsea are known to just scour the markets for bargains aren’t they, you never see them throwing money around.

Yep, they've picked up a bargain there.
Honestly looks like a 100m player already. Still raw but looks like just behind Haaland for that number 9 in PL.
Cant think of anyone else. Looking better than Isak and I rate Isak highly.

This does not in any way refute the point the other poster made.

No but if our fanbase are honestly looking at Chelsea as the model of finding bargain in the market then I honestly don’t know what to say.
Also our new striker hasn’t even kicked a ball for us yet, so let’s just wait and see how he gets on before putting the boot in.

Yeah Chelsea are known to just scour the markets for bargains aren’t they, you never see them throwing money around.
They actually do sign plenty of bargains as well as spend big money on what they deem to he top talent. How much was their goal scorer today again? And the RB replacing James? And the starting keeper?

Honestly looks like a 100m player already. Still raw but looks like just behind Haaland for that number 9 in PL.
Cant think of anyone else. Looking better than Isak and I rate Isak highly.
He hasn’t even scored a goal yet.

They actually do sign plenty of bargains as well as spend big money on what they deem to he top talent. How much was their goal scorer today again? And the RB replacing James? And the starting keeper?
Chelsea have had a good transfer team for over a decade now, our transfer team is just what the manager says. We have been making the mistake since Fergie, and not learning at all.

Wow, the over rating of players continues on here with Jackson.

A good player sure, but limited and no where near an elite level!

This is probably been asked and answered 100 times or so, so apologies for asking for the umpteenth time on here, but why do Chelsea not have a shirt sponsor like every other team?

This is probably been asked and answered 100 times or so, so apologies for asking for the umpteenth time on here, but why do Chelsea not have a shirt sponsor like every other team?
Because they have yet to find someone who can structure their deal to offer more $ up front to offset their potential FFP issues

A deal was done with Paramount+ but the Premier League said "no chance, we have deals with othee broadcasters". Then there was a possible deal with a gambling firm but there was a fair bit of fan backlash so that didn't go forward.

They're currently waiting on the signoff for a tech firm. I like the clean shirts though!

A deal was done with Paramount+ but the Premier League said "no chance, we have deals with othee broadcasters". Then there was a possible deal with a gambling firm but there was a fair bit of fan backlash so that didn't go forward.

They're currently waiting on the signoff for a tech firm. I like the clean shirts though!

Cheers.

Yeah the shirt looks absolutely class the way it is.

23 year old solid striker for 30m. Take a look Murtough, maybe learn.

The one that looks like he has a complete inability to score a goal? He looks dangerous, is incredibly athletic but there's a reason Chelsea are struggling to score.

The one that looks like he has a complete inability to score a goal? He looks dangerous, is incredibly athletic but there's a reason Chelsea are struggling to score.
Isn't that what Rasmus is? Incredibly athletic but still not hitting goal numbers because he is young? (20), Jackson was 21 just a couple of months ago.

Isn't that what Rasmus is? Incredibly athletic but still not hitting goal numbers because he is young? (20), Jackson was 21 just a couple of months ago.

Hojlund signing is incredibly risky, no doubt. Erik seems to be banking an awful lot on his goal record for Denmark translating so we'll see.