Champions League Quarter Finals (5th - 13th Apr)

United in sin

Chelsea still have the chance in second leg. If this fecking players of chelsea get a grip. Madrid came with purpose and done brilliantly. I think chelsea will give very good match to Madrid at Bernabeu.
Nuh, it's over in my opinion

Last edited:

Godfather

How Bayern are still in this tie is incredible. Villareal should have scored at least three today. Watch them smash Villareal now at home

Ole'sgunnarwin

Just back from the Villareal match. Villareal were excellent, defended well, Bayern didn't have many chances. They'll rue missing some of them chances. Tactically Emery won that battle easily. Excellent game plan.

Foyth at right back was immense. Best full back performance I've seen in a long time. Capoue was everywhere, Lo Celso created great chances in the 2nd half.

I wouldn't underestimate them. They went to Turin and scored 3. Bayern aren't in great form, I fancy Villareal to sneak through.

Pintu

He just scored three times as many CL goals as legendary Hazard has at Stamford Bridge. How can he not be overjoyed.
Hazard, like Aguero, is such a fraud on the international stage. A real farmer. Only good for the PL.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Amazing for Villarreal. They're a tough team to beat.

TheRedHearted

I thought they might win but we were worse than I thought we'd be. I've been thinking recently about what happens when 2 decent teams face eachother in the CL back to back seasons. Often the team who lost the previous year knock out the other team. Almost certainly happening to us now. Ah well.
I still wouldn’t count Tuchel out tbh. Madrid has been so gritty and tough so far though.
We scored 30 goals in the 8 CL matches this season until today...
What would you say happened today? I didn’t watch

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I reckon all home teams next week go through:

Bayern 3-1 on aggregate
Real 4-2 on aggregate
Atletico 1-1 on penalties
Liverpool 5-2 on aggregate

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Joe Cole just said on live tv that Trent Alexander is a better passer than Beckham :wenger:

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Benzema is ridiculous. Difference this time Chelsea's defence is the complete opposite to what it was last season. Not that impressed by Madrid but would love them to win it for Karim.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
What would you say happened today? I didn’t watch
A bunch of things I think.
First of all: Villarreal played and especially defendend really good, credit where credit's due.
They left the flanks quite open and concentrated on defending the centre.
This lead us to flank way more often than usual, it's not exactly our strength. And most of the times they could very easily clear the ball with a header.

Our line up was also a bit questionable. Davies was out for 4 months due to heart problems after his Covid infection. He started this game without playing any minutes prior to that. And while he wasn't exactly bad he couldn't show any of the threat he's known for.
Because of Davies Coman was shifted to the right side. He played very, very good as a left wingback/winger in recent weeks but today on the right side you could see that he couldn't use the typical moves he normally can on the left side.

Gnabry started which is also at least debatable. He's been in bad form for weeks now. Unfortunately Sané also lost a bit of his spirit in the last weeks so this decision isn't totally unreasonable.

Additionally Lewandowski and Müller had one of the worst games all season. But this was also due to the fact that Villarreal really crowded the center and they barely got any good passes.

Nagelsmann deserves some criticism today. Fielding Davies and shifting Coman didn't help us at all.

All in all we just looked really toothless and although the xG statistic isn't that bad (1,46 to 1,26) it feels like we should be really happy only losing by one goal.

The tie is far from being over though. Our season has its up and downs and we're not really consistent. One game we shine and batter a good opponent, just to lose the next game to a small team at the bottom of the league table...only to than put out another great performance three days later in the next game. It's a bit weird.

I wouldn't be surprised if we smash them 5:0 at home. But if Villarreal can show another performance like tonight it will get really difficult for us.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
That was the second oil club down (well, almost), still one more to go.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I reckon all home teams next week go through:

Bayern 3-1 on aggregate
Real 4-2 on aggregate
Atletico 1-1 on penalties
Liverpool 5-2 on aggregate
If there's a football god he won't allow Atletico to go through.
They set up a new record yesterday: They had 0 shots. Not 0 shots on goal, 0 shots.

I understand that for many fans just winning games and titles is they only thing that matters. But for me football and sports in general should be entertainment foremost.

Some years ago you could maybe argue that Simeone didn't have the players to play more entertaining and attacking minded.
But nowadays? Just look at their squad: Griezman, Felix, Suarez, Cunha, Correa, Koke, Lemar, Carrasco... Coaches like Pep or Klopp would probably score 3 or 4 goals every game with that team.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We still have a chance if we can score first in Spain but will be very tough. I don't agree with the scrapping of away goals but right now very glad it's happened.
You need to come up with something... anything to prevent Benzema roaming and ghosting from deep otherwise you're in for a battering.

Pronewbie

Peep
Looking at the Villareal result hurts. I'm going to sound like a broken record but Carrick should have been allowed to stay on as interim.

Last edited:

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
I don't usually compliment Real Madrid but today they showed all the pride they didn't the day of "El Clásico".
La Liga post Ronaldo and Messi isn't obviously the same but I got the feeling Chelsea and Premier League fans in general seriously underestimated Real Madrid. La liga is no joke. I don't think any team besides maybe Liverpool and City is clearly superior to Real Madrid and current Barca.

Real Name

Looking at the Villareal result hurts. I'm going to sound like a broken record but Carrick should have been allowed to stay on as interim.
Why exactly?

Anyway people were disagreeing with me when I said Real will stroll pass Chelsea. Wining mentality and CL experience they have is huge.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He didnt want to. If someone is forced to do something they do worse.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hmm I probably would've preferred Chelsea to win the tie, I think they give City a better game over two legs. Real are way too reliant on Benzema currently.
Eh, evidence of this season suggests Chelsea wouldn't give them a game at all.

Neither will we, mind
Militao will miss next weeks game. Who replaces him @giorno
Nacho and it's huge. Could be a game changer

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Id say thats a will and determination to win , I could see how that would seem alien to a United Fan at the moment.
You're being very naive as these things do happen in football.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
The virtuous, noble blue bloods protecting football from the evil oil drenched upstarts.

(Kicks Super League proposal under carpet)
It probably sounded cooler in your head.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
You're being very naive as these things do happen in football.
Your're being very naive as if a team like Liverpool are doing it then every top club in Europe are too.

You are also being naive to think that the only way a team can operate to a high level is by taking drugs.

I'm not really denying the existence of PED use as much as saying that your evidence for it is weak.

Why would other teams stand by (especially teams with huge financial advantages over them) and allow them to juice while they stay clean?

I don't look at Thiago and think "wow he's juiced to the gills", I think "Wow that's a very talented , technically gifted midfielder who has seen/ done it all. United should buy someone like him.to replace McTominay, who can't pass a football to save his life".

Unless you are accusing Konate of it because even then I'd say he would have to be drunk rather than on PEDs to make that mistake for Benficas goal.

I just think it's a very easy accusation to throw around that requires no evidence beyond "Look at his face!" and I think it discredits all the good work that Klopp* has done over 5/6 years to get the team playing consistently to a high level (Coaching/ recruitment etc).

I think if you ever want to have your team respected you should give credit it where it's due and with the fact you have just appointed a "Club building manager" you should soon see performances that include a passion and desire that have been absent (outside Bruno) for a couple of years (if not nearly a decade).

Liverpool weren't even very good the other night and certainly didn't do anything that made me suspect drug use.

Unless of course you can point me to the PED that allows Trent to play that pass?

I'm guessing you are hoping that EtH brings his world class chemist/ laboratory with him so that United can dope effectively next year?

Or is only your rivals that are on drugs when they get more than the sum of a teams parts?

*I could write pretty much the same stuff for Peps City team too.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Think Bayern will turn it around at home after getting away with only 1 goal down. Real, Dippers and City to go through in the others. That said, I don't completely trust Real if they conceed in the first half and don't score themselves; however equally Chelsea have been shocking in their last two games.

Canagel

Kante was terrible again, hooked at half time. Funny how his stinkers get no attention.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Kante was terrible again, hooked at half time. Funny how his stinkers get no attention.
To be fair, he's a legend in the game and he's earned plenty of leeway. Much like Salah who can't hit a barn door right now.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
To be fair, he's a legend in the game and he's earned plenty of leeway. Much like Salah who can't hit a barn door right now.
Yeah Salah has been absolutely terrible in 2022.

Think he could benefit from some time off but I understand that he's a player that likes to play as much as possible.

Last night was maybe the worst performance I've ever seen from him at Liverpool.

If he clicks in to form again it's going to be a great month for you because you've had a fantastic 2022 even without him displaying world class performances.

Who do you think will start up front alongside Mane and Salah on Sunday?

GlasgowCeltic

Thought Valverde was brilliant yesterday but what do you call that position he played, defensive right winger? Dirk Kuyt role?

Canagel

Kante is actually inconsistent, this is the difference but nobody talks about it. He turns up in 2 or 3 big games a season and people start drooling over him like he is constantly good. But he's a nice humble guy and drives a mini so is given leeway. Best PR in the game.

It was the same last season. 3 great games in the CL semis and finals and all of a sudden I was hearing Ballon Dor shouts despite him perfoming badly previously. Right now he isn't even better than Fred.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Kante is actually inconsistent, this is the difference but nobody talks about it. He turns up in 2 or 3 big games a season and people start drooling over him like he is constantly good. But he's a nice humble guy and drives a mini so is given leeway. Best PR in the game.

It was the same last season. 3 great games in the CL semis and finals and all of a sudden I was hearing Ballon Dor shouts despite him perfoming badly previously. Right now he isn't even better than Fred.
It gives you dopamine to see people shitting on Kante or what? You seem very mad people aren't shitting on him as you want.

PR? So you think Kante drives a cheap car and acts humble with people to avoid being criticized by a random person on internet?

Fred has been shit for United the vast majority of the time he was there, and United fans want get ride of him along with McTominay and Pogba.
Kante bar a couple of games is definitely having a better season than Fred..a bad game against Real Madrid in the UCL isn't gonna change that.

You might be the guy who created the thread "Fred better than Kante" despite Fred not winning a major trophy in his entire career.
Maybe you want people to shit on Kante as they do with Fred, but not gonna happen...Fred has only been good at the mighty ukrainian league, that's why.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Dude seems mad that people don't shit on Kante like they do on Fred...for some reason.

Maybe if Fred hadn't only delivered at the mighty ukrainian league, people would give him a leeway too

Just compare the trophies and individual accolades between Kante and Fred...yes, I'm sure it's only the cheap car and being humble why people don't shit on Kante, sure.

NoPace

Yeah? I thought he was okay. Set up Havertz nicely, moved the ball well. Didn't win much, though.