Champions League - Matchday 6

Dortmund have basically already been playing in their 4141/433/4231 hybrid, with Dembele as sort of a no10. All three players you've named committed to defensive duties, Schürrle in particular has a very good work rate and completed 5 tackles according to whoscored (more than any other Dortmund player).
Ginter and Rode would've been the alternatives (Sahin/Kagawa/Götze injured), but both would've been severe downgrades in terms of ball retention compared to Schürrle and Pulisic and even with the two of them Dortmund struggled with Real's pressing intensity.
Schürrle was a complete no show defensively for the 1:0. I just don't rate Schürrle at all; that's why I'll always be moaning about a line up mistake every time he's selected. And lo and behold, BVB got back in the game as soon as he was subbed off :wenger:

How did the ref do in Real Dortmund game? Were there many mistakes made by him?

Honestly, don't think there is that big of a difference between the two pots. Both the group winners and those who finished 2nd place in the group are very similar in quality. Most would say Juve is a lot better then Sevilla but I'm not too sure, it's pretty tight either way. Barca is obviously better then City, but City with Pep would give anyone a game (and can't draw Barca, so they wouldn't really be underdogs against anyone).

Dream draw for Arsenal would be: Benfica or Porto. Possibly Leverkusen. They would lose the rest I think. Or at least, 50/50 with Sevilla.

Dream draw for City: Napoli. Then Monaco. They want to avoid Dortmund, Juventus or Atletico Madrid who IMO are probably better (or level at worst).

Leicester easily the worst side in the next round, so they'll probably get knocked out in the 16.

Shows how good he was, or is it just harder to score nowadays?
I'd argue that today its easier as the CL had 10-15 years more time to make the rich richer, so matches against clubs from weaker leagues have become even more one-sided.

I'd add Gerd Müllers quota to that: took him 38 matches to score his total of 39 goals in the old European Cup.
In pre-CL days it was harder to reach the EC with way fewer matches per season, and Müller only had 6 seasons. Over all three cup events, games needed to score 49: 53 (final tally: 70 goals in 79 matches)

Schürrle was a complete no show defensively for the 1:0. I just don't rate Schürrle at all; that's why I'll always be moaning about a line up mistake every time he's selected. And lo and behold, BVB got back in the game as soon as he was subbed off :wenger:

Who should've played instead of Schürrle then? And if you watch the replay he was actually positioned like a LCM (like most of the first half) at the time, because the wing was occupied by Schmelzer.

Regarding RVN: I think that stat is skewed a bit because unlike him Messi and Ronaldo started playing CL as teenagers.

Also our record against juve is pretty dire
Yes,I wouldn´t like Juve. As Vato said, Monaco or Leicester. Between them I´d prefer Monaco. Although for me a top game against Arsenal also sounds good

We could have sent Real Madrid to the Europa League...

We clearly don't have a squad big enough to challenge in all fronts, so hopefully this pushes us towards the title.

So into the next round are:

4 Spanish teams (2 group winners)
3 German teams (1 group winner)
3 English teams (1 group winner)
2 Italian teams (2 group winners)
2 French teams (1 group winner)
2 Portuguese teams

None of these clubs/countries would be in the so called Atlantic league. No wonder they want their own little league.

Dortmund are such a sexy team going forward. If they were even 1% more efficient they'd have smashed Real there.. Every time they drove forward there were easy through balls to be made and they kept making bad decisions. Peak Messi would have got a double hat trick in that side.

If Lewandowski had stayed there on some obviously huge contract they could have dominated both Bundesliga and CL for many years in my opinion...

How did the ref do in Real Dortmund game? Were there many mistakes made by him?

He did o.k., but the teams made it easy for him to be fair.
The stakes weren't too high.
I would have appreciated a yellow card for Ronaldo, though (foul and push on Schmelzer).

If Lewandowski had stayed there on some obviously huge contract they could have dominated both Bundesliga and CL for many years in my opinion...

I don't think they could ever dominate because of the size of the club and its mentality. They lack that top tier bottle at the highest level to be perennial champions.

This current team with a committed Lewa and peak Hummels, yes would have been CL contenders.

If this crop stay together they could win one in the next three years but I don't see them keeping hold of everyone.

He did o.k., but the teams made it easy for him to be fair.
The stakes weren't too high.
I would have appreciated a yellow card for Ronaldo, though (foul and push on Schmelzer).

Cheers ;)

Yeah, let´s blame the player going off instead of crediting the incoming two players (including the super star of the team), who changed the game :rolleyes:

I could understand the criticism if Reus would have had enough in his tank for a full game, but he obviously didn´t.

Schürrle made sense in terms of profile given the alternatives. He did not perform well, but that is not on Tuchel.

Would like Benfica to try and avenge our EL semis loss 3 years ago with Conte but I'm pretty sure we will get Real, City or Bayern ehehe.

Dortmund are such a sexy team going forward. If they were even 1% more efficient they'd have smashed Real there.. Every time they drove forward there were easy through balls to be made and they kept making bad decisions. Peak Messi would have got a double hat trick in that side.

Real had even more clear cut chances. They were better with the final ball but even more wasteful in front of goal.

Tuchel mentioned three clubs in german TV he consider as dream club for managers; Barca Real and ... United :)
Has he even seen United the last couple of seasons?! It's a worse manager graveyard than Madrid and that's saying something!

CzGs_PTXUAY1sT_.jpg

Nah, he takes a deliberate step sideways and moves his shoulder into him. Not that it mattered anyway, both teams got what they wanted.
He's in front. That's the very definition of protecting the ball. Mind, if he were the one to fall and auba scored, it would have been legal and stupid on carvajal's part

Real had even more clear cut chances. They were better with the final ball but even more wasteful in front of goal.

Madrid had more clear cut chances agreed but it was finishing that let them down.

Point I was trying to make with Dortmund was that build up play was awesome and as they enter final third I was seeing all these easy passing options for the through ball and they kept over complicating it and failing to create the clear cut chances.. A Messi or Iniesta would spot and execute those passes. Dembele in particular due to his sensational dribbling ability creates amazing angles for himself to hit penetrative passes but he fails to make the pass. With maturity that will come hopefully.

Has he even seen United the last couple of seasons?! It's a worse manager graveyard than Madrid and that's saying something!
How? We give managers more authority and power than anywhere else. We don't have a DoF and ensure one of the highest spending budgets in the world without necessarily expecting a title win? Add to that the prestige that it comes with and how is it not the perfect job?

I don't think they could ever dominate because of the size of the club and its mentality. They lack that top tier bottle at the highest level to be perennial champions.

This current team with a committed Lewa and peak Hummels, yes would have been CL contenders.

If this crop stay together they could win one in the next three years but I don't see them keeping hold of everyone.

They're one of the biggest clubs in Germany with stadium to match that. If they kept hold of the Polish striker as their biggest star they could have actually made that transition. It would be so much easier to maintain most of the personnel along with the habit of consistently getting good results in the league. That in turn would be a great recipe for further growth which would include increase in wage bill, but also in marketing deals and overall turnover.

Yes,I wouldn´t like Juve. As Vato said, Monaco or Leicester. Between them I´d prefer Monaco. Although for me a top game against Arsenal also sounds good
Are you kidding? Monaco are a tough defensive side with pace and quality on offense. Trap draw. Lestah are a mid-level team. Easy-peasy.

How? We give managers more authority and power than anywhere else. We don't have a DoF and ensure one of the highest spending budgets in the world without necessarily expecting a title win? Add to that the prestige that it comes with and how is it not the perfect job?
:lol: Yeah, just realised we've had about the same amount of managers in the last few years with us not even finishing in horrible positions like United did. Disregard my last comment.

No. Why? Easy game for the ref

Couldn't watch the game, but was interested in his performance cause I rate the guy. Just might become a top referee in the future.

Dream draw for City: Napoli. Then Monaco. They want to avoid Dortmund, Juventus or Atletico Madrid who IMO are probably better (or level at worst)
Napoli are a trap. Stylistically they would be the best match-up, since they are basically city with worse players. But the san paolo is a terrifying stadium to play in. Playing the first leg at home would be a big advantage in this case. All in all, I think monaco would be the best for them. They're more dangerous stylistically, but they are a far worse side than napoli

Ok let's play the table above, latter team play first at home: Barca-Bayern, Atletico-Benfica, Dortmund-Paris, Juve-Real, Arsenal-Sevilla, Napoli-City, Monaco-Porto, Leicester-Leverkusen.

:lol: Yeah, just realised we've had about the same amount of managers in the last few years with us not even finishing in horrible positions like United did. Disregard my last comment.
Fair enough! I mean can you go back to any point in the past where a team has broken the world record fee, spent more money than anyone else in the league and is still discussing whether finishing in the same position as the year before is sackable? It really is quite hilarious isn't it? :lol:

On a more serious note, I really think managers look at the PL the same way players look at the big two in Spain. Regardless of how rich PL teams get, Real and Barcelona will always hold a sway over the best players since most of them come from similar cultural background and are therefore looking for the lifestyle as much as anything else. This is different for managers though who are naturally older and more family and career oriented. They see the PL as a place where they will enjoy more authority and more responsibility over team matters. Add to that the fact that it's becoming this NBA style place for managers and different playing style and I really think now the PL is more attractive for them.

34 - Real Madrid have now equalled their longest unbeaten run in all competitions, level with Leo Beenhakker's side in 1989. Legendary.